- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Hey all...wow it's been a while since I've written anything. Suddenly I'm inspired and I hope to continue that way. I hope ya haven't forgotten me and you check out the story.

Nick let his bag fall to the floor as he stared out into the distance; the view in front of him was like out of a movie. There was a long dirt road, lined up with pure redbud trees that served as guides towards the two story, white, Victorian home. The sky was a soft blue with puffy clouds scattered about and there was a nice warm breeze that hit all the trees sending colorful buds flying around like a rain of cotton.

Nick let out a laugh, his best friend had always said he would retire and move back to his hometown with his little family and buy a big Victorian house. Well, maybe he hadn’t really bought it; it was more like an inheritance. Either way, he was proud of his old partner and best friend for chasing his dreams and being happy.

Nick picked up his bag, pulling it back onto his shoulders and started his trek towards the house. He was a little nervous about letting Kevin convince him to take his summer vacation in Kentucky. What was there to do in the country? How would he deal with being around kids all the time? Then again, being around other people and out of California was refreshing. Anyway, it’s not like he could go to work either; he was on suspension for shooting a suspect and it was going to take a few months to get everything sorted out. Not to mention that his wife had taken a modeling gig for the summer.

After what felt like forever, Nick finally arrived at the red door. He lifted his hand to knock and the door flew open. He jumped back and found himself face to face with Kevin all smiles.

“Well hell little brother, I thought you were giving up on coming. Come in…mi casa, es su casa.” Kevin embraced his old partner as he dragged him into the house.

Nick smiled, “This place is fuckin amazing.”

“Thanks, watch the language, Carter. Sorry Kris doesn’t want us cussing in front of the kids.”

“Sorry! Sure, it won’t be easy, but I’ll make the effort.”

“I do hope you guys make the effort and don’t just say it.” Kristen waddled up to the twosome with a wide smile, wiping down her hands on her apron.

Nick’s hands flew to her round belly, “You two don’t waste time, I see.”

Kristen smacked him on the back and they all laughed. “It was all Kevin’s idea. He wanted to see if we could manage to hit the jackpot with the girl.”

“Well?” Nick’s brows raised in wonder. She was about to pop, so she had to know what she was having. “Don’t tell me you guys did that corny shii-thing where you wait to find out.”

Kevin shook his head, “Hell no!” Kristen’s eyes fell upon him. “Crap! Sorry honey. No, we hit the jackpot!”

“Nice!”

“Yes, I’m outnumbered here. Come into the kitchen guys, I just took out some apple pies.”

The threesome walked into the kitchen. Everything was white and seemed brand new. Not to mention it smelled like cinnamon and apples. In the corner towards the big kitchen nook was Max, Kevin’s one year old, sitting in his highchair, singing and banging on his plate with a spoon. His eyes met with Nick’s, he gave a big toothy grin and went back to playing rock star.

“It’s a shame that Lauren couldn’t make it this summer. “

“Oh, I know. It’s just she’s become a big workaholic.” Nick shrugged clearing his throat. “Where’s Mason? I haven’t seen him in forever.” He took a seat on a bench at the island table, while Kristen busied herself with serving pie. Kevin took a seat next to Nick and asked Max politely to lower his volume.

“Mason is with Lily, my niece; they are picking up her older sister. I hope you don’t mind that they are staying for the summer too.” Kristen stuck a forkful of apple pie in her mouth.

As if young girls wandering around the house could cause him curiousity. He was a married man now. He only had eyes for Lauren, his wife. “Not a problem at all.”

“That’s good. Kevin and I came to an agreement that you can have the pool house to yourself. In case you wanna sleep in, or you just need your privacy.” She smiled and walked out of the kitchen.

Once she was out of sight, Nick and Kevin started to catch up on things. Nick talked about the whole bust and how he had shot the guy in self-defense, but how something had gone wrong and now there was a whole investigation. Kevin patted his best friend on the back and assured him that everything would be fine. It was all just protocol when something like that went down.

“So how is the married life?” Kevin asked. He was now standing over Max making funny faces, just to make his son laugh.

Nick wondered for a split second what it would be like to have a child; to be a father. He then shook it off by remembering that he and Lauren were too busy to raise kids at the time.

“The married life…Um is ok. Sometimes a little complicated, but we are surviving. Why the hell are women so bossy?” Nick thought he’d ask Kevin; he knew everything.

Kevin had scooped out Max from his highchair and was twirling him around. Max was in a fit of giggles. “I dunno. Maybe that’s how they keep us in line, it’s just in our eyes they are bossy. I mean if Kristen didn’t boss me around. I’d spend my time in the studio writing music, playing with my kids and just watching my favorite TV shows.”

Nick let out a laugh. He had a point.

The twosome turned their heads when they heard a car pull up in front of the house. Doors slammed shut and there was a ruckus as the front door swung open. Kevin smiled, two young women came to a halt as they tried to level their breathing and Mason flew into the house and crashed into his father.

“Hey you guys. Mason say hi to your uncle Nick.” Mason ran up to Nick and hugged his legs. Kevin smiled. “Hey Piper and Lily this here is my best friend and ex-partner Nick Carter. Nick these are Kristen’s, two nieces.

Nick licked his lips as he looked from one girl to the other. They were totally different; he wouldn’t have guessed they were sisters. They were both tall and slender, but one had gray eyes, a face full of freckles and waves of brown hair that cascaded down to her thighs.

“I’m Lily!” the freckled one stuck out her manicured hand and smiled timidly.

Nick took her hand and gave it a shake. “Nice to meet you, I’m Nick or you can call me Carter.” Their hands dropped to their sides.

The older one had lighter eyes and her hair was much shorter and darker, she had more to look at in the tiny shorts and cut off shirt she was wearing. “I’m Piper…nice to meet you, Carter.” She also smiled, but Nick could swear the smile was flirty.

“It’s nice to meet you too.” Nick scratched the back of his head and leaned over to grab his bag. Being around women at the moment made him really uncomfortable. “Hey Kevin, you mind showing me to where I’ll be staying. I’m a bit tired.”

“Yeah, sure! I’ll be back ladies.” Kevin headed out towards the patio. Nick followed as he looked back to check out the two women once again. “Don’t even think about it Carter.”

“I wasn’t even…I’m a married man.”

The truth was he didn’t even know if he was still married. Lauren had left in a hurry that day, after a really nasty argument and it had been three weeks since he’d seen her. Quite frankly he didn’t miss her or her bickering. He felt free…didn’t that mean he was free.