- Text Size +

Lily stared out the window as she finished unpacking her things. She was in love with the room she had chosen, it was lavender and beige and the bed was huge. She had a corner window that gave her a whole view of the country side. It was so different from the views in California; at the moment she didn’t miss the city. She really needed a break from the crowds, traffic and her family.

“Uncle Kevin’s best friend is a hottie. I think they said he’s married.” Piper interrupted Lily’s thoughts.

Lily rolled her eyes at her older sister. They were only three years apart, but she always had the feeling that she was the older one. “You better not be thinking about it. He is definitely married.” The two young women stared out the window watching Kevin and Nick making way towards the pool house.

Piper wasn’t lying; Nick Carter was pretty damn hot.

“What does married even mean? He’s probably here trying to run away from his wife and needs someone to spend some time with.” Piper bit the tip of her finger and gave her sister a wink.

“You’re disgusting, sis.” Lily threw one of her pillows at her sister and continued to make her room a little homier. A bunch of papers fell out of one of the bags and they both bent down to pick them up. Lily tried hard to scoop them all up at once, but a few envelopes floated back down to the floor as she stuffed the rest in a drawer.

Piper picked them up and nosily looked through them. One of the envelopes caught her attention since it read ‘City of Hope-Cancer Research Center’ she sat up with wonder in her eyes and waved it at Lily.

“What the hell is this?”

Lily swallowed hard, as she snatched the envelope out of her sister’s hand. “Would you stay out of my things, Jesus!”

“Lily, what the hell is that for? Is everything ok?” Piper wasn’t joking at the moment, her look was serious and the anticipation of her sister’s answer was killing her.

“Everything is fine, crazy. I requested a volunteer packet from them the other day and they barely sent me a response. There is nothing to worry about.” She opened the drawer and stuffed the envelope all the way at the bottom of the pile.

Piper placed a hand over her heart and gave a soft laugh, “Fuck Lily, you almost gave me a heart attack. You know grandma died of cancer. You would tell us if something is wrong …right?”

“Of course I would, stupid. Now can you go change so we can help Kristen with dinner? You’re driving me crazy and it’s my vacation time.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner time was a little awkward with the new house guest at the table. Lily was comfortable with her aunt and uncle, not to mention the kids, but the simple presence of the hot blonde man made her much more quiet than usual. The food was passed around, there was conversation, laughing, but she just wasn’t interested in joining in. If anything, she was feeling a little queasy and had barely touched her plate.

“So…Lily how are things with school and work?” Her stomach coiled when she realized Kristen was talking to her. The bile rose to her throat and she tried really hard to swallow it right back down. She smiled without looking up from her plate. She knew all the eyes were on her and she didn’t want to meet anyone’s gaze.

“School is slow and work is pretty exhausting.”

“Lily here is a paramedic and she’s studying to be a nurse.” Kristen boasted about her niece proudly.

She moved her gaze slowly away from her plate and up at the rest of the people at the table. Her stomach coiled again when her eyes met with Nick’s.

“Sorry for asking, but how old are you?” Nick asked.

She didn’t really hear what Nick had said. She just saw his mouth move and his eyes continue to bore into hers. Their eye contact was broken when something flew in Nick’s direction from the other end of the table and landed all over his white t-shirt. Everyone gasped in horror; with exception of Max who was giggling like someone was tickling him.

“Oh my God, Nick. I’m so sorry.” Kristen stood up in horror.

Nick turned to look at Max who was still in a fit of laughter as he threw another spoonful at the table. “It’s ok, Kris. I will survive…please sit down.” He laughed and turned his gaze back at Lily.

“She’s twenty-three.” Piper blurted out breaking the awkward silence. “I’m really jealous because she looks eighteen.” Piper answered for Lily, something that really bothered her about her older sister.

A warm feeling spread through Lily’s body and she felt the bile rise way passed her throat this time. There was no way she’d be able to swallow it back down this time. She stood up abruptly excused herself and rushed to the bathroom.

It hurt as her stomach strained with each heave. She flushed, washed her face and tried to think up quickly what she would tell everyone about her little performance. There was a knock at the door and she could hear Kristen asking her ‘if everything was ok’.

“Yes, aunt K, everything is fine.” She slowly opened the door and gave a weak smile. “I’m so sorry about ruining dinner. I think the long drive from the airport made my stomach queasy. Can you please excuse me with everyone? I’m going to go lay down.”

Kristen patted her niece’s back, although she was giving her an explanation, she was concerned. “Sure, go ahead and get some rest. I’ll let everyone know you aren’t feeling well.”

Lily made her way up the stairs, right now, even that was a task. She could feel exhaustion and pain taking over her body. She stopped at the drawer and took out the letter she had stuck all the way at the bottom. Slowly she opened it and reread it for the tenth time. The more she read it, the tougher it was to comprehend what was going on. She swiped at a tear and wadded up the letter, and threw it back into the drawer.

She’d never tell anyone…ever.