- Text Size +
October 16th

Gerald Emmery took a deep breath when he heard the door creak open and threw the magazine he’d been reading back on the table. It was damn time they finally got here; the client was getting impatient.

The orders had seemed so simple in the beginning: take the blond Backstreet Boy.

Of course, taking anyone famous proved to be quite a challenge, but Gerald had gladly taken that challenge.

It had been a while since he’d put real effort into his job. Then the frustration had begun when he and his brothers realized that there was not one, but two blond Backstreet Boys. But oh well, he would just take both then, so the client would have a choice.

Then Jacob had called and said one had escaped. Gerald had been livid, had yelled all the profanities he could think of at him and he was sure that if Jake had walked through the door right then, he would have beaten the shit out of his little brother. He hadn’t told the client about their little mishap yet and could only hope that they had the right blond one left.

God, if there wasn’t this amount of money involved…

Gerald knew that was a lie though. Although he often denied it, he knew he didn’t solely do it for the cash.

His brothers did, that was for sure, but he found a strange, malicious kind of satisfaction whenever he delivered a package to a client. A strange sense of justification.

The men they took weren’t real men, that’s what Gerald had decided early on. They had no clue about how hard life really could be. They didn’t know anything about true survival, hadn’t been forced to use that animalistic instinct even once in their cozy lives.

Gerald had, though; more than once even. He’d been a soldier, fighting for a country that was drowning in its own greediness. It had made him a bitter man, ruthless.

He watched the pathetic excuse of a man standing in front of him with a look of disgust. Pity. That’s what he took on him. The kid seemed ultimately dazed, a strange nothingness in his expression as he stared back at Gerald without showing any emotion whatsoever.

“Who drugged him?” Gerald grumbled without looking up.

The young man had something mesmerizing about him. An unsettling kind of thing that made him stand out, a strange kind of… something.

“I did,” Jake said with an angry expression, “This one’s fierce, Ger, ‘s got sharp teeth too.”

A smile started to spread on Gerald’s face as he watched his younger brother clutch his lower arm with a pained look. So this scrawny kid had gotten the best of his brothers. Twice. “You’re out of shape, Jake, that’s why,” he smiled. “You’re not gonna cause any more trouble, are you?” he asked the young singer, who only stared back at him blankly. “Didn’t think so,” he answered his own question with a smile.

The boy looked utterly miserable and that’s what bothered Gerald a bit. At their lowest low, they didn’t struggle as much, they didn’t really give a damn anymore as to what was happening to them.

What was the fun in that? No, he liked them best when they beat up his little brothers, when they showed spirit, a will to fight.

“Take him to the attic,” he ordered, “Oh, and Jacob?”

“Hmm?”

“Don’t drug him again.”


Date: Unknown

I’m not sure what day it is, Nicky. I don’t even know if it’s day or night. All I know is that I’ve been in the attic for a long while. They’re leaving me alone, mostly, but I feel like I’m going insane. I don’t know what is worse; having those monsters around to hurt me, or having myself around to hurt me. We’re leaving tomorrow though. Daniel let it slip when he was bringing the food. He hates me.

Good for him. I hate him too. He’s one of the reasons you’re dead.

I can hear them talking, Nicky. They’re loud and shameless, but you already know that, you’ve experienced them first hand after all. They seem to take pleasure in destroying other people’s lives. Oh yes. I might be alone, but I can tell that there have been others here before me. The attic has secrets, Frack. Terrible secrets. I wonder if anyone has ever died in here.

I’m okay though, don’t worry about me, alright? You never have to worry about anything ever again, alright?

I’m still praying. Nothing special, really. I’m not praying for freedom, or release. I’m praying for forgiveness. You weren’t supposed to die this young, Nicky, that’s on me. And I will always know that it’s my fault. I should have gone with you to protect you. I should have at least died with you there, in the woods.

I was a fool, naïve and selfish, and I wish I could take it back.

They’re coming upstairs, Nicky, I can hear them.

Perhaps we’re already leaving. Perhaps it’s been hours, I cannot tell the time. I’ll talk to you later, okay? I promise.

October 19th


Brian clutched the baseball cap tightly in his fists and waited. The sound of footsteps was coming closer and he pressed himself further into the corner, hurriedly securing the cap back onto his head. The door opened and lighted flooded into the dark attic. He narrowed his eyes, feeling a spark of pain shooting through his head. By now, he was pretty certain that he had a concussion.

“Get up!” A roaring voice barked, stamping towards him with an angry look, “Turn around!”

Brian struggled to comply. It had been days since he’d used his legs, and they were shaky and unstable. He felt like crumbling to the ground, only to notice a firm hand catching him before he could do so,
“I said, turn around…” the voice said threateningly.

“Hold on, hold on,” Brian mumbled, his voice grittier that he remembered.

“Shut up!” the man snarled. Although he was wearing the animal mask, Brian could tell it was Daniel. He wasn’t particularly afraid of Daniel. Sure, the guy was violent and huge, but he was also predictable. He knew that Daniel would like nothing more than to strangle him, but that he couldn’t.

Because Danny boy didn’t call the shots.

There were three of them, five if you counted the monsters that had set out to kill Nick. But those two were only there if travelling needed to be done. The three that stayed were brothers, Brian presumed. The oldest, Gerald, was their leader, and by far the most intimidating. Brian could tell that he took great pleasure in causing fear and dread in other people.

And Jake, well Jake was hard to read. Although he wasn’t as inflammable as the youngest of the brothers, Brian knew that he was just aching for inflicting a good amount of injuries on his victims. He shivered at that idea.

He flinched as Daniel pulled his arms behind his back, jostling his sore shoulder into an unwanted position.

He felt the rope being wrapped around his hands tightly. Eventually, Daniel turned him around to face the door, where Gerald and Jacob were leaning against the wall. A small smile played on Gerald’s lips as he looked at his hostage.

“There, there. All set, aren’t we?” he grumbled, slowly stepping closer with a cat-like graze, so unlike the rest of his appearance. Brian involuntarily felt himself take a step back, only to be stopped by the big man behind him. There was something utterly frightening about Gerald’s behavior and Brian wanted nothing more than to run away. “You’re a brave kid, Brian,” Gerald smiled, “You’re different from what you appear to be, I really like that.”

Brian felt his muscles tensing when Gerald reached out a hand to touch him. He thought of all the things he wanted to scream, but couldn’t do anything else but stare in fear as the hand softly touched his cheek. His angered breathing hitched in his throat as the hand went further and took the cap from his head. It took all he had in him to refrain from lashing out.

“Ahh yes, poor Nickolas,” Gerald smiled sadly, solemnly holding the torn cap at eye level, “It’s a shame really. I know he meant a lot to you.”

Brian felt his face scrunch up in anger, but kept himself from saying a word. Gerald looked at him, disappointed. “What is it, Bri? Did you lose your tongue?” He smiled maliciously as he put the cap back on his victim’s head and nodded, “This way he’ll be always with you. That’s the idea, right?”

The monster’s hand lingered close to his face and the smile faltered on his face. There was a strange kind of hunger in his eyes that scared Brian to his very core.

A few seconds, everything was motionless and he could only hear his heart pounding wildly in his chest, his rasping, panicked breathing escaping his closed up throat. “You’re beautiful, Brian.”

Brian whimpered softly as Gerald moved closer, the monster’s face only inches from his own. Gerald leaned forward, his lips touching his captive’s ear. “We’re leaving.”

He choked out his breath, his eyes wide open as his knees buckled. Gerald moved back and laughed. He heard the other two snicker as well. Gerald shook his head in amusement and sighed. “Alright kids, we have more to do. Make sure we’re ready to leave as soon as possible. If we want that money, we have to be there on time.”

Brian didn’t move as he felt himself being dragged out of the attic. He barely noticed anything as they carried him roughly down the stairs. He didn’t protest when they eventually threw him into the back of the SUV again.

Money.

So it was about money after all.

And they were going to go and get it.

That meant he would be free soon, right?


Right.