- Text Size +
Ajamu watched the two trudge across the swamp. The boy couldn’t be older than twelve or thirteen; his blond, wild curls dancing with every step he took. Ajamu sensed a universal, innocent naivety in him, like most children his age possessed. There was also a sense of guilt, which undoubtedly had to do with the reason he came here. He didn’t seem to mind the white wolf following him closely. Ajamu would have found that weird; dangerous even, but she could see the animal’s true form. The middle aged man didn’t seem pleased with his swamp surroundings as he slunk through the mud and branches. Ajamu smiled to herself. It had been over seventy years since a true transformation had taken place. Sure, kids came here all the time, often jokingly trying to curse each other. The last time something actually happened though, was seventy years ago. Ajamu remembered it well. The young child had turned his sister into a deer. Ajamu didn’t exactly know the technicalities of how the ancient curse worked, but she knew that when the right circumstances were met, the curse could be quite powerful. Old spirits and old magic were at work here, she knew. She respected the old swamp and in turn, it gave her all she needed to survive. They were one and the same, they lived through each other.

Ajamu hadn’t been a hundred percent sure it would work though. Not until she saw it with her own eyes. The pair moved slowly, the boy talking all the while in a hushed tone and the wolf growling things back at him. It was clear the father was in no way amused with the situation. Ajamu smiled to herself and nodded. The curse would never have worked if there wasn’t a big lesson, a big change in the future for these two.

Something powerful, something big, something neither would ever forget. That’s how it was supposed to work, at least.

It wasn’t without danger though. These curses were ancient and merciless. The longer they were active, the more effect they had on the subject. Ajamu could sense that the man already felt it, the era old instinct of a predator, a wild animal that had no business in the near proximity of a child. The longer the man stayed in this form, the stronger the instinct would become and once it took over completely, there would be no way back. Ajamu moved silently through the trees towards the spot the two travellers were slowly walking. They halted immediately when they saw her. The boy stopped talking and the wolf actually growled at her. She scowled at him and he stepped back, unsure.

“Who are you?” the boy asked. His voice was steady, but Ajamu could feel the uncertainty in him. She put on her friendliest smile.

“My name is Ajamu, I live here in the swamp,” she introduced herself, and when the two visitors didn’t react, she continued, “I see that the two of you have a problem.”

The boy studied her intently, his brow furrowing, and then pointed at the wolf, “You know what he is,” he stated, rather than asking.

“He is your father,” Ajamu replied, her smile remaining.

The boy seemed taken aback by her straight answer and the father looked at her strangely, “Can you fix him?” the boy’s tone was adamant, but his eyes were pleading.

“I cannot,” Ajamu admitted and the child’s face fell and a low rumble came from the wolf’s throat.

“You did this to him!” the young man said, angry now.

Ajamu looked back at him, unfazed by his temper, “I did not do this to your father, Baylee.”

The boy’s eyes widened at the mention of his name. “Who are you?” he whispered.

“I have already told you. Your father has been cursed by an ancient power that lives through these woods, lives through many, many woods. I do not control it. Nobody does. Although you have initiated the curse, you did not control it.”

The child looked at her, not understanding. She sighed, “The two of you are in this situation because you are meant to be.”

The boy and the wolf looked at each other for a second, “What do we do?” Baylee asked quietly.

“You must travel north,” Ajamu explained slowly, “Deeply in the woods of Minnesota’s Superior National Forest lies the most ancient source of this magic. This could undo the curse. The woods are deep, however, many dangers are ahead.”

The child bit his lip nervously, “Why do I feel like I just got trapped in a fantasy movie?”

“This is not a movie, young man,” Ajamu replied immediately, “And you need to stop thinking of calling the police on me, you cannot call anybody when you’re an animal” she said, pointing a finger towards the wolf, who stepped back guiltily.

“How do we get there?” Baylee asked and Ajamu melted at the naive innocence in his eyes.

“I’m confident you will find a way.”

“I can’t get a wolf on a plane.”

“I have told you where you need to go, it is up to you now. I must warn you though. The journey will not be easy, but you must hurry. The biggest danger can come from the inside,” Ajamu whispered, looking into the wolf’s light blue eyes, “You’ve already felt it, haven’t you?” The wolf looked back at her for a moment, then nodded slowly, worry suddenly clouding his thoughts.

“Dad? What is she talking about?” Baylee asked, uncertain.

The father looked at his son helplessly and Ajamu cleared her throat, “The longer he stays a wolf, the stronger his wolf instinct will become. The more he will become a wolf, the less he will still be your father. Once the transformation is complete, there will be no way back.”

The young boy paled and Ajamu could feel the panic that raced through him. “How long will that take?” he choked out quietly.

“It’s hard to say, it differs per case. Seventy years ago, it took the girl three weeks to fully transform. She was not a predator though. Wolves are dangerous animals, Baylee. Be careful.” The wolf shot her a hurtful glance, but Ajamu ignored him as she kept her gaze on the young boy. “Just remember that the strongest thing in these types of curses is family. Find allies that you trust on your journey and you will make it.”

“Has anybody ever turned back?” Baylee whispered fearfully.

“A few have,” Ajamu said.

“Do you think you could pass as a dog?” Baylee asked his father.

The man looked at his son indignantly, but nodded nevertheless. “Alright then,” Baylee swallowed.

“I wish you luck,” Ajamu told the two before disappearing into the swamp again.