- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Rachel

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 106

 

Hanna Jo

 

By the time we get back to the hotel I’m exhausted. We spend the entire morning sightseeing. Most of the time was spent on Denise and me getting to know one another. She is everything you could want in a mother. I was comfortable around her.

 

There was no mention of the pregnancy by anyone. I know that eventually AJ and I have to tell her. I feel more at ease telling her since I’ve gotten to know Denise better. She is open and nonjudgmental.

 

Jessi and Nick are sitting in the living room when we enter the suite. They are playing cards. I laugh when I realize they are playing go fish. Jessi looks up when the door shuts. She looks at me with wide eyes when she realizes my future mother-in-law is here.  “Hello all.”

 

“Hey Jessi. I’d like you to meet Denise.” I take a breath. “Denise this is my best friend Jessica.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you Jessi.” Denise walks over and gives Jessi hug. Then she does the same to Nick. “How’s my other son doing?”

 

“I’m wonderful and in love.” Nick has the biggest smile on his face. It makes me happy to see how much he loves Jessi.

 

“I’m so happy to see my sons happy. Congrats on the engagement.” Denise takes a seat on the couch.

 

While everyone is talking, I go into the bedroom. I’m changing into a pair of shorts and a tank top, when AJ walks in. He sits on the bed watching me dress. When I finish, I sit down next to him.  “Everything okay?” He asks, as I place my head on his shoulder.

 

“It’s great. Your mom is fantastic. She’s sweet, kind and funny.” I giggle with happiness.

 

“And she loves you, too, Han.” AJ leans back pushing me down on the bed with him. I relax against the bed and yawn. “Banana, why don’t you take a nap? You’re exhausted.”

 

“I’m okay. Your mom is here. It would be rude of me not to go back out.”

 

“I think she’d understand.” He kisses me softly.

 

I close my eyes for a moment. When I open them, I turn to look at AJ. “When are we going to tell her?”

 

“Tonight, maybe after dinner. Stop worrying Hanna. Mom is going to be overjoyed about the baby.”

 

We lay quietly on the bed. It’s nice to have a moment of down time. I try not to yawn or fall asleep, but it’s hard. Sleep is all I’m thinking about at the moment. We aren’t being very good hosts.

 

“You shouldn’t be doing that with AJ’s mom here.” Nick yells as he starts pounding on the door.

 

“Save it for your honeymoon.” Jessi laughs.

 

Both of us sit up, but don’t move from the bed. I wrap myself around AJ. I love hugging him. “I guess that’s our cue.”

 

“We must have been in here too long.” AJ presses his lips to my temple.

 

When we enter the living room, Denise is checking her email on her phone. She looks up and smiles at us.  AJ and I take a seat on the couch across from her. Denise places her phone on the table.

 

“So where did the troublemakers go?” AJ takes my hand in his. He’s very affectionate today, and I love it.

 

“They are getting ready for a late lunch. Nick mentioned that he was starving.”  She rolls her eyes playfully.  “I thought we could all go out for a fancy dinner tonight.”

 

I groan without realizing it. There is no way I feel like getting dressed again

 

“Everything okay, Hanna.” Denise asks with concern.

 

“Oh, my. I’m sorry, Denise.” I feel my cheeks redden. “I’m just a…little tired…from our day out and about.”

 

“Why don’t we eat lunch at the restaurant downstairs?” AJ’s mom suggests.

 

“Mom, before we do anything else there’s something Hanna and I would like to tell you.” AJ says. I guess it’s time to tell her about the pregnancy. I’m worried about her reaction. “We’re having a baby.”

 

The smile on Denise’s face is priceless. She gets up and walks towards us. “I’ve been waiting all day for you to say something.” She pulls me in for a hug first. Then she hugs AJ.

 

“We just wanted to wait for the right time.” I say timidly.

 

“I’m so happy for both of you. I saw those pregnancy books this morning I wondered. Then I noticed the look on your face Hanna when you realized they were there.” Denise chuckles. I am so embarrassed. “I’m excited to be a grandma.”

 

“I’m so glad to hear that.” I say quietly, thinking about my own parents.

 

“What’s wrong Hanna?” She asks, looking at me with concern.

 

“It’s nothing.” I shrug it off. No reason to bring her into my family drama. It might be easier if I pretend they don’t exist.

 

“Hanna, I know we just met, but we’re family. You can talk to me about anything. If something is bothering you, I want to make things better.” Denise says warmly.

 

AJ places his arm around, scooting me closer to him. Tears sting my eye. How can someone who barely knows me show more love than my parents ever did? How did I get so lucky to find AJ and his mom? I am blessed.

 

“It’s just I wish my parents would be as accepting about things.” I wipe the tears from my face. “Nothing I’ve ever done has pleased them. They aren’t going to be happy that I’m pregnant. The fact that I got pregnant before marriage is a sin in their eyes. I’m afraid of how they will treat my child.”

 

“You’re a grown woman. It’s not a sin to create a child with the man you love. Once your parents hold their grandchild, they will fall in love and nothing else will matter.”  Denise is sincere in her words. It makes me happy that our child will have one grandparent’s love.

 

“You haven’t met my parents. They only care about looking good for the people of their church. They are so skewed in their views. It’s the reason why I left. They aren’t accepting of anything that their church doesn’t believe in.”  I explain. My body is full of stress. I need to calm down and relax.

 

“Hanna, you don’t need them in your life. You have a family. You’re a McLean now. “

 

Denise’s words melt my heart. I do feel loved in my new family. I’m thankful every day that God put them in my life. AJ may not be the man my parents expected me to fall in love with. He’s everything and more.

 

My stomach growls loudly causing us all to laugh. “I think someone is hungry.” AJ says, as he presses a kiss to my temple.

 

“If Jessi and Nick would hurry up.” I stand up and look for my flip flips. I smile to myself, knowing everything is going to be alright.