- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 109

 

Jessi

 

As soon as I see Ho Jo’s parents leave the hotel, Nick and I make a run for the elevator.  We waited in the lobby, Nick making arrangements to fly Thad and his wife out for the wedding while I chewed on my lower lip. I agonized about leaving Hanna Jo and AJ alone with her parents. 

 

When we get to the room, they are snuggled up on the couch. I pounce on Hanna Jo. “What happened? Are you ok? Why did they leave?”

 

She laughs at me. “They left because I told them to get the fuck out of my life.”

 

I can’t help it. I do a double take.  AJ and Nick laugh at me, but I can’t help it. My little Hanna Jo doesn’t curse this way.  I grab her hand.  “What did they want? How did they know you were here?”

 

Alex shrugs.  “Could have been the paparazzi.  While you guys were off on your own little island, Hanna Jo and I were followed quite a bit.  Someone in the church probably saw something and questioned them about Hanna Jo.”


Hanna Jo nods. “That’s the only explanation I can come up with. Can you believe she actually came to take me back to save her reputation?”

 

I nod, rolling my eyes. “You know I believe it.  I’m so glad you sent her packing and she didn’t get her claws into you again.”

 

Nick is standing close by with a smirk on his face.  AJ cuts in on mine and Ho Jo’s conversation by asking him, “Nick, what the hell has put that goofy look on your face?”


My man smiles broadly and says, “Well, let’s just say it’s been an awesome day for both our girls, Bone.”

 

Hanna Jo looks at me expectantly.  “What’s he talking about Jess?”

 

I blush, looking down. “Thad called.  There…there won’t be a trial. They all plea bargained.”  I take a shaky breath, my tears spilling down my cheeks. “It’s over Hanna Jo.  It’s all over.”

 

She grabs my hand and squeezes before sliding away from AJ and wrapping her arms around my neck. “Oh thank God! Jessi, this is…it’s incredible!”

 

AJ smiles, looking over at Nick.  “What happened?”

 

Nick stands behind the couch and puts his hand on my shoulder.  “They decided to keep it hush-hush.  Mark and Donnie both have to move away from Los Angeles since we live there.  There’s a protective order in place that forbids them from being around Jessi from now on.” I hear emotion clogging his throat.  “She doesn’t have to be afraid of them anymore. She can finally be happy.”

 

I sob into Hanna Jo’s shoulder.  The adrenalin rush is over and physically I’m drained.  Hanna Jo holds me tight. I know I’m scaring her, but I’ve held all this in for so long, I can’t hold it back anymore. 

 

I hear Hanna Jo say, “Nick, why don’t you and AJ go out for a while?  I think Jessi might need a little girl time.”

 

Nick starts to protest. I pull away from Hanna Jo and whisper, “Please Nick? I…please.”

 

He bends down and kisses me. I can see confusion in his eyes and he whispers, “I love you.”

 

I manage to smile and whisper, “I love you too.”

 

After they leave, Hanna Jo takes my hand.  “Are you ok?”

 

I shrug.  “I’m so glad it’s over. I still can’t believe it.  But…what if it’s not?”

 

Hanna Jo looks confused. “What do you mean?  Of course it is.”

 

I shake my head and walk to the patio door.  “Hanna Jo, Paul Wahlberg wasn’t the only one. He wasn’t the first or even the last. What if I can’t ever escape my past?”

 

I hear the door to the room shut and I turn, expecting to see Nick and AJ.  I’m surprised and embarrassed to see Denise standing there.  She smiles warmly and says, “Jessi, I don’t know what your past has in it, but you can’t let it control your future.  We’ve all done things we regret. Things we’re ashamed of.”

 

I shrug and turn away. “None of you hold a candle to me.”

 

Hanna Jo stomps her foot. “You stop that right now Jessica Todd or so help me I’ll…I’ll punch you in the nose!”

 

I turn to stare at her and burst out laughing.  Her laughter joins mine.  Denise looks on amused by our antics.  When we calm down, she says, “Jessi, you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, but if you’re attitude is driving my future daughter-in-law to threaten violence…especially in her condition…I’d really love to know what happened.”

 

I sober up and whisper, “I…I’d rather you heard it from me instead of the press.  Especially since Nick says you’re the mother he always wishes he had.”

 

She sniffles and shakes her head. “That boy…he has a heart of gold.  Jessi, I love him dearly and he’s always going to be special to me.  Whatever happened in your past…it doesn’t matter to Nick and it won’t matter to me. I can promise you that.  Why don’t we girls spend the afternoon together? Just the three of us.  We’ll talk about the past and the future and I’ll tell you a few things about AJ and Nick that I bet you didn’t know.”

 

I smile gratefully, taking Hanna Jo’s hand in mine.  “I think that sounds wonderful. Umm…thank you.”

 

She looks at me startled.  “Why are you thanking me?”

 

I sniffle, walking over to hug her. “Nick says everything he ever learned about love and how to treat a woman he learned from you. You gave him guidance and direction at a crucial point in his life. Something his own mother didn’t do.  He…he admires you and he respects you.  You made him a gentleman.  That…it means everything to me.”

 

She stares at me in shock.  From behind me, Hanna Jo says, “Alex told me the same thing.  While the other’s had wonderful mothers, Nick didn’t. Alex told me…he said Nick…sometimes thought about leaving the group and everything behind. Disappearing so his family couldn’t find him.”  I feel my mouth drop open, but I remain quiet as she continues.  “Even though Nick and Brian were always best friends, Alex says he and Nick have a bond that the others don’t. They truly feel as if they are brothers. Bound together by the love of a wonderful mother. You Denise. You made the men we love into men we can love.  And I want to thank you for that too.”

 

Denise sniffles as tears trickle down her cheeks.  Finally she whispers, “Those boys…for so many years I wondered if I got through to them.  With all the drinking and the partying, for a while I wasn’t sure.  But now…wow.  I’m speechless.”

 

Hanna Jo hugs her future mother-in-law.  “They listened.  And they learned.  And they love you.”

 

She pats Hanna Jo’s cheek.  “I love them too. And at your wedding…if you don’t mind…I think it’s high time those boys know how proud I am of them.  I’ll be making a toast.  With your permission.”

 

Hanna Jo and I both nod and I manage to whisper, “I think we’d all be honored if you spoke.”

 

Denise wipes her cheeks with her fingertips and takes a deep breath.  “OK, no more tears.  Why don’t we find a spa and get pampered? Maybe get a make-over before our fancy dinner tonight? I have a lot to learn about you girls and I think it’s high time I get to know my daughters.”