- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 31

 

After Nick cleans up, he takes a washcloth and gently cleans the scrapes on my hands and elbow. Watching him makes my eyes sting. He chews on his lip, concentrating on being gentle. Even though it burns, I’d never let it show.

 

When he’s done, he tosses aside the rag and says, “After sound check, wanna hang out and talk about this?”

 

I nod. “Yeah, I guess.”  In the back of my mind, a plan is forming. It breaks my heart to think about it, but now that he knows, and AJ…I have to get away from all of them. I know they’ll keep Hanna Jo safe.  I just hope all of them can forgive me for what I have to do.

 

When Nick leaves me to go to the sound check, I roam around, looking for Hanna Jo.  When I get to catering, Donnie is doubled over on the floor moaning.  His face is almost green. Some part of me thinks I should rush over to help him, but the cautious side of me is holding me back.  I step closer gingerly and say, “Donnie?”

 

He looks up at me, his eyes flashing with anger. “You two-bit whore! What the fuck, you here to laugh?”

 

I shake my head, genuinely puzzled. “No. I was looking for Hanna Jo. What happened to you? Are you sick?”

 

He pushes himself to his feet, holding onto his crotch. “Fuck no, I’m not ok. Your frigid bitch of a friend did this to me!”

 

Hanna Jo?  I can’t stop the laughter.  I wish I had seen her kick him in the nuts.  He lunges at me and grabs my arms. I jerk away. “Keep your fucking hands off me or you’ll get it again!”

 

He snarls and lunges once more, pinning me to the wall with the side of his body, effectively blocking my knee. He grabs my face and snarls, “You fucking prick tease! Who the fuck do you think you are?”

 

I struggle to dislodge him. “Stay away from me! I can’t believe I ever entertained the thought that MAYBE you were a decent guy. You’re just as depraved as those fucking assholes from the bank! I swear by all that’s holy if you don’t get your hands off me, I’ll tell the world EXACTLY what you are!”

 

His mouth drops open and he pushes away from the wall. I turn to run, but he stops me with two words. “I’m sorry.”

 

I turn to face him. “What?”

 

He lowers his head. “I said I’m sorry.”

 

I watch him.  Part of me wants to believe him, but…I don’t. He’s just trying to keep me from taking this public.  I open the door. “Stay away from me, Donnie. And stay away from Hanna Jo. She’s going to ride with AJ from now on and I’ll…be with Nick.”

 

He hears the catch in my voice and pounces. “You’re planning on running, aren’t you?”

 

I shake my head. “Stay away from us!”

 

I find Hanna Jo sitting outside by the buses. She looks shook up. “What happened with Donnie?”

 

My quiet question almost sends her into hysterics. “He…he kissed me and it was HORRIBLE!”

 

I put my arm around her and hug her tight. “You did a good job of shoving his nuts up into his throat. I’m proud of you!”

 

She stares at me and then we both start laughing.  She wipes her eyes.  “He scared me.  All I could think of was that this was how all those men made you feel. Oh Jessi, I’m so sorry!”

 

I brush it off and say, “Stop. It’s done and it’s never happening again.”

 

We sit and console each other. Finally, she blurts out, “Jessi, why couldn’t this trip have been fun like we planned?”

 

I shrug. “Most of it is fun, Ho Jo. Although there are parts I’d like to erase.”

 

I nearly scream when Nick drops down beside me. He puts his arm around us both and says, “Come on, you two. How about we make the rest of this trip fun and forget the first part of it?”

 

AJ drops down beside Hanna Jo and says, “Nick’s right.  We can make it fun for you.”

 

I KNOW he’s talking to Hanna Jo.  I nudge her with my elbow and say, “Why don’t you go have ‘fun’ with AJ and I’ll see what kind of trouble I can get into with Nick?”

 

She blushes scarlet and stammers, “Umm, ok…”

 

I can’t help but giggle as AJ helps her up and leads her away, his arm firmly around her waist. I turn to Nick. There’s still concern in his eyes. I smile sadly. “I’m really sorry Nick.”

 

He kisses my forehead and hugs me close. “It’s ok.  Part of me understands why you didn’t tell me the truth. I just wish you’d realize you can trust me.”

 

I lean into him. “Can we go somewhere Nick? Somewhere I can tell you about everything?” Well, almost everything. I won’t tell him about Paul Wahlberg.

 

 

He leads me to his bus.  As he’s opening the door, we hear a commotion at the fence.  We look to see Donnie talking to fans and posing for pictures. Both of us notice he’s not standing up straight. Nick chuckles. “I hope I broke his ribs.”

 

I start giggling. “I don’t think it was you. Hanna Jo fed him his nuts with her knee.”

 

He looks at me in shock. Glancing back at Donnie he laughs loudly.  I know Donnie is watching as we step up onto the bus and honestly, I just don’t give a damn.  We sit down facing each other and he takes my hands. “So tell me everything.”

 

So I do. Mostly.  I kind of skip over what the men at the bank actually made me do. I’d rather not relive that part of it.  I explained how I worked with the DA’s office to bring down Oakley for his money laundering.  I did tell him about the mob being involved, just not who the players were.

 

By the time I get to the part about us robbing the bank, Nick is shaking his head.  Probably in disgust.  When I finish with us getting to the airport, I just stop and wait.  He sort of smiles and says, “Jessi, I’m proud of you.”

 

I shake my head. “What?”

 

He nods, tucking my hair behind my ear. “Jessi, my girl, your boss put you through a living hell.  There wouldn’t be a hole deep enough to bury him in if you ask me.  Yet you stood up and told what was happening and helped them take him down.  Even with the mob involved.  That took guts, Lady.”

 

I look away and clasp my hands in my lap. “I don’t know Nick. Now that it’s over and done, it looks like all I’ve done is put all of you in danger. I can’t even use my own name anymore. Now I’m Sonja…umm…”

 

He puts his fingers under my chin and turns my face to his.  “Sonja?  Sonja what?”  When I don’t answer, he starts laughing.  I punch him in the chest, but he just grabs my arm and hauls me onto his lap. “Sonja Carter, huh?”

 

I blush. “Well, I had to think fast and it was the first name I could think of.”

 

His arms circle my waist and he chuckles. “Oh, believe me, I’m not complaining.  I’m flattered you thought of me.”  My fingers tickle his neck and he pulls me closer to his body. “Jessi, I mean it. I like you and I’m flattered that you…fantasize about me.  That you wanted to meet me. And I’m honored you trust me enough to tell me what’s really going on. Now that I know, I can protect you.”

 

I pull his face to mine and kiss him. It’s the only way I can think of to shut him up. Because deep in my heart I know he can’t protect me. He can only put himself more in danger by being with me.  As his fingers slide up under my shirt, I put my plans aside and focus on him.  Soon enough he’ll be working and I’ll be able to plan my escape.  I won’t put them in danger any more.  They all mean too much to me.