- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 35

 

Jessi

 

As the plane descends into Sydney, I stare out the window completely miserable.  If Thad knew what I had done, he’d kill me, but I couldn’t just leave without leaving some kind of message.  I hope eventually Nick will check the video I left on his phone. I know it’s a long shot, but I had to tell him how sorry I am that I just ran away.

 

After snatching my bag from the carousel, I find a car rental place and within fifteen minutes, I’m speeding to my destination, Cottage Point.  A place Thad found for me when the shit hit the fan with Donnie just two weeks ago. It costs a fortune, but that doesn’t matter.  The money I have doesn’t mean shit to me.  I miss Hanna Jo and Nick so much.

 

After “Sonja Carter” gets settled, I take out the throw away phone I bought at the airport and text Thad.  In barely a minute, the phone rings. “Hi Thad, I made it.”

 

He grunts. “Good.  The place should be stocked with enough food to last you at least two weeks. After that, hopefully, the trial will be over or close to being over.”

 

I look around. “This place is huge, Thad. Couldn’t you just get me a hotel room somewhere?”

 

I can almost see the bastard shaking his head. “No. Hotel records can be traced. This place is privately owned.”  When I don’t say anything, he says, “The trial starts in three days.”

 

I look around the upper deck of the house, not really seeing anything. It is spacious and luxurious, but it’s going to be lonely being here by myself. “I know Thad.  When do I have to come back?”

 

He hesitates.  “Maybe you don’t.  We have your sworn statements and recorded testimony.  Before the trial, I’m going to enter a motion that you be able to testify remotely or from what we have taped.  Because of the danger to your life.”

 

I sniffle.  “Thad…will Hanna Jo be ok? And Nick?”

 

Before he can answer, I hear a phone ring. “Just a minute.”  I hear him answer in his usual gruff manner, then everything is muffled.  I wait patiently until I finally hear him say, “Excuse me, Hanna, but Jessi is independent woman. She’s going to do whatever the hell she wants. I am in no way in control of any move that she makes. I’m sorry she ran off, but you’re probably better off without her. Good day, Hanna.”

 

I gasp. “Hanna?  Thad that was Hanna Jo?”

 

Another grunt.  I hate the way the son of a bitch NEVER answers me. “Jessi, listen, you know you can’t have contact.”

 

I stifle a sob. “Thad, just let her know I’m ok!”

 

Stubborn jack ass. “NO! End of discussion! And don’t you DARE try to call her. I’m having this phone monitored.  I’m sending Wesley to watch over you till the trial is over. He’ll be there tomorrow evening. Until then, stay out of sight and don’t call ANYONE! Even me. If something happens, text 9-1-1 as before. Got it?”

 

I grit my teeth and brush the tears from my eyes. “Got it. I hate you Thad.”

 

I can almost see him smile. “No you don’t. You know I’m right. Now try to rest.  Wes will be there soon.”

 

 

And Wes did show up.  And I’m still lonely as ever.  He never talks.  He walks around the place every hour or two.  Stares out the window when boats float close by.  Plays with his cell phone to the point I want to slap him. 

 

After a week, he comes to me. “Mr. Westcott would like to speak to you.”

 

I take the phone gingerly. “Thad? What’s wrong?”

 

He sighs. Bad sign.  “We got Oakley and most of the major players.  But Wahlberg will probably walk.”

 

I nearly drop the phone. “Why? Why will he get away?”

 

I hear papers rustling. “In a nutshell, his family. Because his brothers are well recognized and noticeable, they have some pretty major league lawyers for him.  Especially the actor.”

 

I snort. “Thad, they BOTH act and they BOTH are in music, so you gotta be more specific? Mark?”

 

He grunts. “Yes, Mark.  From what we see, he’s as mixed up with the shit as Paul.”

 

I chew my lip for a minute before asking, “And Donnie?”

 

He coughs. “We just don’t know. He’s the most recognizable one of the three, yet we can’t find out much about his private life.  I just don’t know, Jessi.”

 

I feel like crying. “Do I have to hide forever, Thad?  I can’t stand this. I’m going stir crazy and Wes is driving me insane.”

 

He actually laughs, the douche.  “Not very talkative, is he? That’s why I picked him. He does his job, which is protecting you, and he’s damn good at it.  You still have enough food?”

 

I think about the fully stocked kitchen and the ONE meal I’ve actually cooked. “Yeah, sure.”

 

I hear him click his tongue against his teeth and I feel like a second grader that’s in trouble. “Wes says you’re not eating. Jessi, you HAVE to take care of yourself. And to answer your question, no, I don’t think you’ll have to hide forever.”

 

I hear it in his voice. He has a plan. “What’s going on Thad? What do you have in mind?”

 

He sighs. “Wahlberg and his brother are small time in the organization. With what we have on Paul, plus what’s surfacing on Mark, we MIGHT just be able to get them to flip on the head of the family. If that’s the case, they will be in hiding and you’ll be free.”

 

A spark of hope ignites in my chest. “Thad you mean it? How? I mean, how will you do it?”

 

He chuckles. “Leave it to me.  And eat!”  When I reluctantly agree, he says, “Do me a favor. Tomorrow is Wes’ birthday. Bake him a cake.”

 

I can’t help it. I laugh. “Thad…I know I haven’t said it lately, but thanks. I know…I know you’re doing what’s best.”

 

I hear a gentleness in his voice that makes me want to cry. “I know it’s hard Jessi. But it really is for your own good. Talk to you soon.”

 

I hang up feeling better than I’ve felt in days. There just might be a light at the end of this tunnel.  I take the phone to Wesley and say, “Thanks. Now, what kind of birthday cake do you want?”