- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By: Dottie

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 45

 

I’m dozing on Nick’s chest when I hear AJ screaming at Hanna Jo.  I look out the window to see her storming across the parking lot to Brian, suitcase in hand.  Great.  Now what?

Nick stretches and yawns. “What’s wrong?”

 

I sigh quietly.  “Looks like Hanna Jo and AJ are having a fight.”

 

He rubs my back. “Want to go talk to her?”

 

I should.  I know I should.  “I don’t know.  Seems like I fuck everything up.”

 

He squeezes me.  “Stop it.  Baby, you’ve been through hell.  Everything that happens is not your fault.  Hanna Jo is a big girl.  And AJ can be a jackass.  This is their problem, not yours.”

I sigh.  “But things like this always happen around me.  Seems like everyone is always getting hurt.”

 

He tilts my head back with his fingers softly gripping my chin.  “Sweetheart, you aren’t hurting anyone.  Yes, I was not happy when you left, but I know why you did.  I understand why you didn’t trust us.  Fuck, Donnie’s brother of all people?  Did you ever wonder if Donnie was part of that life?”

 

I nod.  “Sometimes.  But I don’t think he is.  I don’t think he’d have come for us if he was ok with what Paul was doing.  He took a big chance exposing himself like that.  He could have remained oblivious and Paul could have…”

 

I shudder in his arms and he kisses my forehead.  “But Paul didn’t.  And he never will.”

 

I open my eyes and stare into his.  “Now what?”

 

He smiles and kisses my nose.  “We date.  We talk.  We share things.  I really like you Jessi.  I like you a lot.  I love making love to you, but I don’t think that is helping us get to know each other.”  I lay my head on his shoulder and snuggle against him.  “If this was just about sex it wouldn’t be complicated.  It’s more than that.  Can we…will you give us a chance to get to know each other?”

 

I smile against his shirt.  “I’d like that Nick.”

 

He squeezes me.  “Good.  And if, for any reason, you want things to go further…”

 

I can’t help but laugh.  I prop myself up on my elbow and whisper, “You’re the first person I’ll call.”

 

He smiles and pulls me closer for a quick peck on the lips.  “Good. Now, why don’t you check on Hanna Jo while I go see what kind of bug crawled up AJ’s ass?”

 

I nod slowly before pushing him onto his back and leaning over him.  We stare at each other and I whisper, “This is more than sex Nick.”

 

He smiles sweetly.  “I know Baby.  I know.”

 

 

Brian sees me heading for his bus and jogs up to me.  “Hey Jessi, you ok?”

 

I nod, stopping to face him. “Yeah, I am. What’s going on with AJ and Hanna Jo?”

 

Brian shrugs.  “I don’t know. She said she needed to be away from him.  I don’t mind her on my bus, but…well; it’s not exactly putting me in a comfortable place with AJ. He thinks I’m out to…well…”

 

I smile and put my hand on his arm. “Don’t worry, Brian.  If she really doesn’t want to ride with AJ she can bunk with Nick and me.  I need…I need to spend some time with her too.  After everything that happened…well, I owe Hanna Jo a lot for lying to her the way I did.”

 

Curiosity gets the best of him.  “What did you lie to her about Jessi?”

 

I blush and force a smile.  “Maybe I’ll tell you sometime.  I’m going to go talk to her.”

 

He hugs me awkwardly and says, “Glad you’re back.”

 

 

When I step onto Brian’s bus, I hear Hanna Jo scream, “WHY?” She turns and looks at me, her face flushed with rage.  I sit beside her and listen as she continues her tirade. “So instead of ASKING me, you all just assumed I got married right?”

 

My mouth falls and I can’t stop myself from gasping. “Married?”

 

She nods, tears pooled in her eyes.  “I’m going to hang up Aunt Patty.  Next time, why don’t you ASK me before jumping to conclusions?”  She flips her phone off forcefully and falls back.  “Damn them both to hell!”

 

My mouth drops.  “Hanna Jo? What happened?”

 

With tears sliding down her face she waves her hand in the air. “My parents.  They told everyone I was married.  Everyone in the family thinks I ran off to elope with AJ.”

 

I shake my head.  “They did what?”

 

She sits up, opening her eyes.  “Remember the night we played truth or dare?”  I nod, blushing as I remember how I was on the phone with Donnie.  “Well, my parents were having some of the family over for dinner. Instead of telling them the truth, Mom decided to tell them her little girl finally found a good, decent man.”

 

I can’t help it.  I start to giggle.  When she glares at me, I grab her and hug her.  “Ho Jo, he’s more than a good decent man. He’s fantastic and he cares about you.  But you gotta admit, your mom would have a FIT if she could see him.”

 

She finally starts to giggle and pushes me away.  “You’re right.”  After the giggles subside, she whispers, “AJ is so mad at me.”

 

I’m truly puzzled.  “Why is he mad?”

 

She pushes her hand through her hair and whispers, “He thinks I told them we were married.”

 

I shake my head.  “You’re kidding, right?”

 

“Nope.” She stands and paces in the confined space of the bus.  “He thinks I’m trying to get my hooks into him.”

 

I feel fury boiling up inside me.  “What a dick!”  I push past her and storm off the bus. I’m kind of surprised she doesn’t follow me but I don’t really care.  I catch up with AJ as he’s heading back into the arena.  I back him against the wall and mutter fiercely, “What the fuck is wrong with you?”

 

He glares at me.  “It’s not going to work, Jessi. I like Hanna Jo, but she’s not tricking me into some kind of twisted marriage.”

 

Before I can stop myself, my fingers curl into a fist and I slam it into his stomach.  Granted, I’m not strong enough to hurt him, but he doubles over from the surprise.  “You arrogant, conceited ass!  What makes you think she’d WANT to marry someone like you? 

 

He stands cautiously and eyes my still clenched fist.  “What do you mean someone like me? What’s wrong with me?”

 

I step back, very conscious that we’re drawing a crowd.  A crowd that includes Donnie.  “How could you think she’d tell her parents she married you of all people?”

 

Now he’s really puzzled. “Well then why does her aunt think we’re married?”

 

I groan. “God you’re so stupid!  Her parents would NEVER admit to their family that Hanna Jo is anything but a sweet, innocent girl!  Remember the night we played truth or dare?” At his slow nod, I say, “Her family was having some kind of dinner.  Her mother would rather die than admit what Hanna Jo REALLY said so she told them she eloped.”

 

He slams his hand against the wall. “Why didn’t she tell me that?”

 

With a sad shake of my head I whisper, “Did you give her a chance?”  When he doesn’t say anything I step back.  “Hanna Jo will be with Nick and me. When you decide to quit being the world’s biggest jerk, you can apologize.”  As I turn to walk away, I add acidly, “IF you have the balls to do it!”

 

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading and reviewing. It means a lot to us. Keep letting us know what you think!!!