- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ta-Da!!! Here's the second update I promised you. Enjoy!

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 65

 

After a night of romance, not just sex, Nick and I head into the green room hoping to escape Donnie’s notice.  Imagine my surprise when we open the door to find AJ in a towel and Hanna Jo sitting on the couch looking completely spent.  I can’t stop myself.  The giggles erupt.

 

AJ blushes furiously.  Yes, Mr. Bad Boy himself looks like he got caught with his hand in the nookie jar.  Nick seems stunned. “AJ, Man what’s up?”

 

I sigh dramatically.  “It looks like he was.”

 

AJ pushes past us.  “Excuse me!”

 

Nick’s laughter joins mine as AJ sprints down the hallway, gripping his towel.  Hanna Jo avoids eye contact and mutters, “Excuse me,” as she pushes herself to her feet. 

 

I nudge Nick and tilt my head toward the door, silently asking him to give me a minute with my best friend.  He smiles and kisses my forehead.  “I’ll go check on AJ.  The guys are outside.”

 

I nod, grateful to know Hanna Jo and I won’t be totally alone.  After he leaves I turn to her. “Well, I can see the night was a success.  Did he like the costume?”

 

She sighs, knowing I’m not going to let her leave. “Jessi please…”

 

I link my arms through hers and pull her back to the couch.  Realizing what was just done on that couch, I change direction and move her toward the stools situated near the mini bar in the corner. “Come on, it’s me.  What gives?”

 

She sighs, sitting with me.  “We had a huge fight this morning. My Mom called and I was cranky and I took it all out on him.”

 

I shake my head. “What did the prim and proper Queen Bee have to say?”

She shrugs.  “She was telling me how what I’m doing with AJ is a sin and I’m going to burn in hell for it.  Making me feel guilty about enjoying myself.”  I reach out and squeeze her hand.  “Jessi, is it really ok?  I mean, yes, I’m enjoying myself immensely, but…”

 

I watch her curiously, wondering what she’s thinking.  “But what Hanna Jo? You don’t really believe what you’re doing is a mortal sin, do you?”

 

She fidgets.  “No, I know it’s not.  I mean, it is a sin, but I don’t think I’ll burn in hell for it. I just…oh forget it!”

 

I grab her arm as she starts to get up.  “Whoa, wait a minute. You just what? Come on, this is me Hanna Jo, not your mother.  I’m not going to judge you by what you do or don’t do. TALK to me.”

 

I see tears in her eyes.  “Jessi, I really…AJ is so important to me.  I don’t want to lose him because of my parents pushing him to…”

 

Then it dawns on me. “You think they’ll try to force him to marry you with a guilt trip?” She nods, letting the tears fall.  “Hanna Jo, get real.  AJ is with you because he WANTS to be.  You know this!

 

She sighs. “I know it.  But if this…continues…Jessi, I really…”

 

I can see she’s struggling with something.  “Hanna Jo, just look me in the eye and tell me what you want.”

She raises her head and whispers, “I don’t want to just be his lover, Jessi.  I want more. I want to be…”

 

When she trails off, I get it.  “You want to be his wife?”  She barely nods.  “Hanna Jo, there’s nothing wrong with that!”

 

Her eyes flash. “But you don’t get it I don’t want it to be because he feels guilty! I want him to want it too!”

 

I could just shake her.  “Hanna Jo, for goodness sake, stop it!  AJ is a grown man!  I don’t think a guilt trip will make him do something he doesn’t want to do!”

 

She nods, looking away. “But what if he never does…”

 

I put my hand on her shoulder.  “Even though you want to marry him, do you think you could be happy like this?  Would you leave him if he never proposed?”

 

She shakes her head. “Of course not!  How I feel isn’t hinged on getting a ring. It’s more like…”

 

I hear a commotion outside the door and choose to ignore it. “More like you want the world to know he’s yours?”

 

She nods miserably.  “Something like that.”

 

Before I can reply, the door opens and Donnie comes striding in, followed closely by Bruce and Robert. “What the fuck is this?  Nick’s bodyguards keeping us from the green room?”

 

I stand and pull Hanna Jo to her feet.  “We were just leaving.”

 

He starts toward us, but Robert steps in front of him, not saying a word.  Donnie glares at him and backs off, moving instead to sit on the couch.  I can’t help it. I think about AJ and Hanna Jo having sex there not twenty minutes before and once again, the giggles threaten to burst out of me.

 

I touch Robert’s arm. “Come on, we were just going back to the bus.”

 

Hanna Jo steps in front of me, careful to not look at Donnie. I know she’s embarrassed.  I watch Donnie as he sniffs the air.  His eyes meet mine and I shrug, moving past Bruce and Robert toward the door.  Let him think it was Nick and I.  Let him stew in the fact that he’s sitting where someone else just got lucky. 

 

From behind me, Donnie says, “Jessi, I think we should talk.”

 

From the doorway, Nick says, “What’s there to talk about Donnie?”  He walks in, sliding his arm around me as AJ strides in the door and heads for Hanna Jo.

 

Donnie leans back, his eyes flashing darkly.  “Old times.  You know, Jessi and I…knew each other a long time ago. Long before you.”

 

Nick shrugs. “Yeah, too bad you didn’t see what a catch she is when you had the chance.  You snooze, you lose, Old Man.”

 

We walk out, Nick laughing loudly.  I slide my arm around his waist. “What are we doing this morning?”

 

From in front of us, AJ says, “I’m going to spend some quality time with my lady.  We’ll see you guys later!”

 

Nick and I lag behind, Robert and Bruce following us discreetly.  “You ok, Jessi?”

 

His question makes me smile.  I look up at him, for the millionth time wishing I were taller.  “I’m fine Nick. What do you want to do about lunch?”

 

He lifts me in his arms, bringing me eye to eye with him.  “I have a surprise for you.  And then, maybe a special dessert.”

 

I blush, playing with the hair on the nape of his neck.  “I’ll bring the chocolate sauce.”

His smile fills my heart with joy.  He’s a sweetheart of a man and he wants to be with me. How did I get so lucky?