- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 7

 

Jessi

 

Once we’re settled in our seats, I turn to Hanna Jo and say, “I’m really sorry.”

 

She nods. “Jessi, why do you hate Donnie Wahlberg and NKOTB so much?”

 

I sigh and look out the window.  “I used to be a big fan of the group.  Especially…him.”

 

Hanna gasps.  “Jessi! I never…what happened?”

 

Trying to sound as normal as possible, I say, “I was 17 and one summer I decided to make it my mission to meet him.  I had tickets for a concert and back then, it was pretty easy to get backstage to meet them.”

 

She looks shocked.  “Jessi, you didn’t!”

 

I sigh, exasperated.  “NO! I didn’t fuck a security guard.  Just, flirted a little.  But I got backstage and met him.”

 

She looks around and lowers her voice.  “Did you…with HIM?”

 

I shake my head.  “I wanted to. Oh, how I tried. But he said I was too young and when I turned 18 we would.”  I lower my eyes to my lap. “I believed him, Hanna.  I thought he liked me as much as I did him.  He gave me an email address so I could write to him.  Back then, it wasn’t all cell phones.  He wrote me back too.  We made plans.  The emails were pretty hot and heavy for me being only 17.  When I turned 18 he sent me tickets to a show and an airplane ticket.”

 

She reaches out to pat my arm. “What happened?”

 

I let my hard, bitch attitude take control so I won’t cry.  “When I got there, I saw him.  With other girls.  Kissing and touching them.  I thought…I really thought I was special.  When he saw me, his first question was did I still have my cherry.  I ran and never looked back. The stinking rat only wanted a virgin.”

 

Hanna gasps. “Jessi! I can’t believe…I mean, I don’t know a lot about him, but I never dreamed he was…”

 

I sigh and let my emotions run through me. “I didn’t think so either.  I think his fame got to him.  But I’ve hated him ever since.”

 

She gets the turmoil in me and says, “You hated him cause you liked him so much and he made promises he didn’t keep.”

 

Before I can answer, I hear that same voice that haunted me for so long. “Well, well, what do we have here?”

 

I look up, meeting his hazel eyes. “Looks like the King of Assholes is on our flight.” I turn to Hanna.  “Do me a favor, Ho Jo.  Ask the stewardess for some air freshener.”

 

His face turns red and he stares at me.  “What did I do to you?  Was I rude?”

 

I laugh. “Rude?  Eleven years ago you were more than rude. You don’t remember me, do you Mr. Wahlberg?”

 

His embarrassment is replaced with curiosity.  “Eleven years ago?  We met and you’ve held a grudge for eleven years?  Lady, I think you better grow up.” Looking at Hanna, he says, “You’re right, she is pretty. You both are.  But her attitude is a deal breaker. If you want to talk, I’ll be right back here.” Turning to me he says, “If you want to refresh my memory, feel free.  I did a lot in my past I regret and if I hurt you in some way, I apologize.  But eleven years is a long time to hold me accountable. I was just a kid back then.”

 

As he walks away I think about what he says. Hanna Jo looks at me.  “Jessi, you ok?”

 

I groan. “Why does he have to be so nice?  Why can’t I just go on hating him?”

 

She actually laughs at me. “Because you cared for him. And apparently you still do. Go talk to him.”

 

I cross my arms and pout.  “No.  I won’t.”

 

           

Hanna Jo closes her eyes to doze and I think about Donnie. I’d rather think about Nick, but with Donnie so close, I can’t help but think about him.  I told Hanna Jo the truth.  I did once have a huge thing for him.  But the animosity I feel isn’t just about what happened when I was 18.  Oh no, it goes much deeper.  See, one of the clients I serviced at the bank was his brother. World renowned chef, Paul Wahlberg. 

 

That’s right.  There’s a certifiable FREAK in the Wahlberg family and it isn’t either of the famous ones.  It’s the sleazy little chef that would come into the bank once a week and do his dead level best to get in…well…me.  He groped me, pinched me, ogled me.  You name it, he did it.  I can even tell you he has a 7 inch, uncircumcised dick.  I know because he showed it to me almost every fucking week.  Funny thing about it was that he was one of the few that never paid me.  He took it upon himself to do what he wants because he thought he could.

 

But I found out the real reason just before I left.  He’s part of the mob.  He’s connected and he thinks he’s untouchable.  That’s one of the reasons I had to leave the country after the set up.  If the mob ever found out what I did…my ass is DEAD.  I close my eyes and try to focus on the good parts of this trip. Hanna Jo met AJ and I met Nick. 

 

           

Half an hour later, I turn my head to find Donnie watching me. I sigh deeply.  He motions for me to join him.  Sucking up the courage, I unbuckle my belt and move back to the seat beside him.  Before he can speak, I say, “I’m sorry for what I said.”

 

He nods. “Look, I probably deserved it.  Eleven years ago, we were all full of ourselves and did stupid things.  Including drinking. So, can we start over? Please?”

 

Being honest, I say, “I don’t know.  Granted, I don’t think either of us are the same person we were back then.”

 

He smiles and I remember why I fell for him back then. He really is a handsome S.O.B.  I sort of grin when he says, “Nice to meet you, Jess, is it?”

 

I nod.  “Jessica. But my friends call me Jess or Jessi.”

 

His smile makes my gut twist. “I hope I can be your friend…Jessi.”  When I blush, he laughs. “Tell me what I did so long ago that made you hate me?  I need to make up for it somehow.”

 

I shrug.  “Can we not rehash it, please? If we’re starting over with a clean slate, then it didn’t happen, right?”

He takes my hand and brushes his lips over my knuckles.  “Right. So, tell me Jessi, what’s bringing you to Ireland?”

 

           

When the announcement is made we’re landing, I’m back in my seat waking up Hanna Jo.  She stretches and says, “Sorry, I’m not much of a traveler.”

 

I laugh and say, “No shit.  But it’s ok.  I did some reading and some planning.”

 

She glances back at Donnie and says, “Well?”

 

I shrug. “We talked.  He’s right, eleven years ago we were different people.  We’re gonna forget the past.”

 

She can tell something’s bugging me. “But?”

 

I sigh. “But he seems to be the same guy.  After clearing the air, he was right back to trying to get me in bed.  I just…maybe I’ve outgrown him being appealing to me.”

 

She giggles.  “Or maybe your mind is on someone closer to your own age, really tall, incredible blue eyes…”

 

I laugh loudly. “Oh Hanna Jo! I’m so bad.  The whole time I was talking to Donnie I was comparing him to Nick.”

 

She lowers her voice.  “Who won?”

 

I grin really big. “Nick!  Who else?”

 

She laughs.  “I’m glad we’re doing this Jessi!  I think we both need it.”

 

We continue talking about Nick and AJ until the plane lands.  As we’re getting off the plane, Donnie sidles up behind us and says, “Can I offer you girls a ride?”

 

With a smirk on my face, I turn to him and say, “You already did.  And you missed your chance.  See you again soon!”

 

He grabs my waist before I can follow Hanna off the plane.  “Wait a minute…you mean you and I were gonna…and I didn’t?  Was I fucking crazy?”

 

I laugh, the feel of his hands on me giving me goose bumps.  “No, you were distracted by someone older, well endowed, and not a virgin.” I see Hanna Jo about to disappear from my sight and I shrug away from him. “Sorry, I have to catch Hanna.  I’m sure we’ll see you again soon.”

 

As I’m running away, I hear him yell, “Jessi!  Jessi, wait!”

 

Wait, hell!  Why did I say that?  Why did I let him know I wanted him back then?  I shake my head cursing myself as I finally catch up with Hanna Jo.  I am so stupid.

 

She looks at me and says, “What?  What happened?”

 

I say, “Hanna, we need to get our bags and GO!  I’ll tell you in the car, ok?”

 

She nods and runs to grab a luggage cart while I lug our suitcases off the belt.  Just as the last one lands on the cart, Donnie grabs my arm and whispers, “Jessi, wait!”

 

I turn to him, almost panicked, and say, “Donnie for the love of God, just let it go!”

 

He jerks away.  “I’m sorry. I just…I need to know what happened.  You can’t leave me hanging.”

 

Hanna comes up beside me and says, “Listen, this is not the time or place. Just…for now, drop it.”

 

He looks around, finally realizing there are fans waiting for him, looking on curiously.  He nods and says, “Fine. Where are you staying?”

 

I just sigh.  “Like I said, you’ll see us. Soon. Goodbye.”

 

I turn and walk away, knowing Hanna is following me.  She falls in step beside me and asks, “You gonna tell him the truth?”

 

I shrug and whisper, “I don’t know.”