- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 73

 

Jessi

 

The last few shows were surprisingly uneventful.  Donnie threw his jabs at me when he could, but between Nick and the boys and Hanna, they made sure I was never left alone.  Which, to be honest, kind of sucked.  You know, while being with Nick has been incredible, and traveling was new and exciting…I just wanna go home.  Which leads me to a depressing thought.  I don’t really have a home.

 

Pleading a headache, I spend the afternoon of the last show tucked away on Nick’s bus.  Ho Jo came by to see me, but I managed to convince her I just needed rest.  I know Robert is outside, but I still lock the bus door and the bedroom door.  No sense in pushing my luck.

 

I sit cross legged on the bed and go through the pictures on my phone.  Pictures of me with Nick, with Hanna Jo, even pics of the four of us.  Even with all the shit from Donnie, I happy to be where I am.  Scared, but happy.

 

As I’m contemplating the next step, my phone rings.  It’s Thad.  I answer quickly. “What’s going on?”

 

He chuckles.  “Well, hello to you too Jessi.”

 

I can’t stop the giggle. “Sorry, sorry.  Hi, how are you? How’s Leslie?”

 

I can hear the smile in his voice.  “She’s great.  We’re getting married at the end of the year.”

 

I’m so happy for him; I can’t even begin to explain.  “Thad, that’s wonderful!”

 

He sounds happy. “Thanks.  Now…the reason I called. You’re coming back to the states tomorrow, right?”

 

I can’t stop the shiver that races through my body. “Yeah, supposed to. Why?”

 

I hear papers rustling.  “Will you all be on the same plane?”

 

I almost panic. “Oh God, I hope not, why?”

 

He raises his voice slightly. “Jessi, you need to calm down, ok?  We plan on approaching Donnie at the airport.”

 

I bite my lip.  “Are you going to arrest him?”

 

He actually snorts in my ear.  “You’re damned right we are! That bastard and his sick and twisted family are all going to go down at the same time.  While I’m tackling him, the rest of my team will be rounding up his brothers.”

 

I feel a stab of fear.  “Thad, I don’t want to be anywhere near that.”

 

I can almost see him nodding his head.  “I figured. I booked you and Nick on a flight to Hawaii from there.  With Hanna Jo and AJ.  Figured you’d want to steer clear till the dust settled.”

 

I’m so grateful to him.  “Thad, thank you so much.”

 

I know he’s embarrassed.  “Jessi, listen, you’ve been to hell and back giving us these guys.  What you uncovered is only the tip of the iceberg with these guys.  We couldn’t have stopped them without you.”

 

I chew on my lip.  “Thad, what if all this hurts Nick?  I don’t know…”

 

He practically growls into the phone. “Oh no you don’t. We didn’t come this far for you to back out.  You’re gonna see this through if I have to carry you kicking and screaming into that courtroom to testify.”

 

My blood runs cold.  “Testify? Thad, you said you had enough to get them!” Before he can muster a reply, I hear the bus door open. It has to be Nick.  “Thad, I’m not going NEAR that courtroom. You better get your shit together or your case is going to be fucked.”

 

I hang up just in the nick of time.  When the bedroom door opens, Nick finds me curled up on the bed, pretending to be asleep.  I can tell he’s trying to be quiet.  I hear him undressing and I bite my lip.  Great, he’s going to nap with me.  I manage to keep my breathing even as he slips into bed and puts his arm around me.  Even through my shirt, his chest feels hot.  He nuzzles my hair off my neck and whispers, “Jessi? Sweetheart, how do you feel?”

 

I move slowly, pretending to wake up.  “Nick?”

 

He sighs, pulling me tighter into his embrace.  “It’s ok, Baby. I just wanted to check on you and hopefully catch a nap.  I’m not feeling so hot.”

 

I manage to turn in his arms. “What’s wrong?”

 

He looks pale.  “Headache. Sore throat.  I’m glad tonight’s the last night. I think I need a nice long rest.”

 

I send up a silent thank you to Thad.  “Well, I just might have a plan for that…if you’re interested?”

 

He pulls me closer and kisses my forehead. “Whatever you have planned I’m down for it.”

 

He feels warm.  “Sleep Nick. My plans can be a surprise.”

 

He snuggles me closer and I find myself cocooned against his chest. “You’re the best Babe. Love you.”

 

I listen to his heartbeat slow as he drifts off. My poor tired man.  I really have to find a way to keep him safe.  There is no WAY I’m testifying at that trial!