- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By: Dottie

Copyright 2013

 

Chapter 83

 

Jessi

 

Wouldn’t you think having Nick all to myself for two weeks in Hawaii would be paradise?  It started out that way.  We made love, we snuggled, we watched movies…we did everything together.  Everything but talk about what’s going on. 

 

I got up early this morning and turned on the television. The arrest of two of the Wahlberg’s made big headlines.  They had pictures of Donnie getting off the plane in New York and being led away in handcuffs.  He was unusually quiet.  Kept his head down and avoided looking at the cameras. I didn’t have to see his eyes to know he was fuming. 

 

I sneak back into the bedroom for my phone. Nick is sprawled out on his back, arms and legs pointing in every direction.  I can tell from the tent in the sheet over his groin he’s got morning wood.  Much as I want to wake him and make use of it, I need to find out exactly what’s going on.

 

I sneak back out of the room, gently closing the door. I leave Nick a note on the table and wander out onto our private beach.  I find a rock to sit on and call Thad.  He answers after one ring. “Jessi?”

 

I sigh.  “Hey.  What’s going on?  I saw the arrests on the news.”

 

He boasts proudly, “They are both out on bail and sticking close to home.  Neither have been seen since they left the jail.”

 

Rubbing my temple, I ask “What were they charged with specifically?”

 

His answer surprises me. “Paul was charged with sexual misconduct, kidnapping, attempted rape, money laundering and trafficking.  Donnie was charged with being an accessory to a few of those. Plus both have been charged with failure to pay child support.  Thanks to the DNA samples we collected, we have found that Paul fathered two children, Donnie three.”

 

I sigh quietly. “Was Donnie charged with assault?”

 

I can almost see him shaking his head. “No. The women say that Paul was the abusive one that forced the issue.  With Donnie they wanted it, thinking he’d save them from his brother.  All he did was walk away. He’s scum, but he didn’t coerce the women.”

 

For some reason that thought relieves me immeasurably.  “Did you question Donnie?”

 

His hesitance scares me. “I…did.”

 

When he goes silent, I press on.  “What did he say, Thad? About me?”

 

I hear him tapping his fingers on his desk. He does that when he’s trying to avoid something. “Jessi, what he said doesn’t matter.”

 

I push on because I have to know. “It does matter, Thad.  I have to know.”

 

I can almost see him leaning back in his chair.  “When we questioned him about his connection to Paul and you he said…he said you were an old girlfriend and you…went after Paul to get even with him for not…making your relationship more…permanent a long time ago.”

 

I feel the blood drain from my face.  “That rotten, lying BASTARD!”

 

I can hear him take a deep breath before saying, “Jessi, I know you don’t want to testify but…if you don’t refute his claims…”

 

I start to tremble.  “If I don’t, he wins.”

 

For the first time, I hear true remorse in his voice.  “I’m sorry Jessi. I know you don’t want to face him and Paul and relive it all, but…his lawyers will make a mockery of our case without witnesses.”  After a pause, he says, “We’re going to subpoena Hanna Jo too.”

 

I gasp. “NO! Thad, you can’t bring her into this!”

 

He sighs. “But she saw what Donnie did to you on the tour.  Nick did, they all did.  My bosses are pushing for the entire group to be subpoenaed.”

 

I shake my head, tears starting to form in my eyes. “Thad you can’t let that happen! I won’t…how can I face any of them if you drag them into this?  Hanna Jo…Nick…all of them will hate me!”

 

From behind me, I hear Nick say forcefully “None of us would hate you, no matter what.”

 

I look over my shoulder.  He’s walking with purpose and sits down on the rock beside me.  I sigh, closing my eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me this before Thad?”

 

With sadness in his voice, he says, “To protect your friends, you would have let this go.  Let them get away with it.  And Donnie thinks you will anyway to keep your friends from being put in the middle.  He’s right isn’t he?  You’re going to back off and drop the charges so Hanna Jo and Nick won’t have to testify.”

 

I turn my gaze to Nick’s. I can’t tell what he’s thinking.  He’s closed off from me. I sigh quietly.  “I don’t know Thad. I need to talk to Nick…talk to all of them. I’ll call you back.”

 

When I hang up, Nick says, “Talk to me about what?”

 

I lower my eyes, staring at the sand.  “Donnie’s going to say I went after Paul because he shunned me all those years ago.  He’s going to testify I was in love with him and mad that he didn’t return my feelings.  If I don’t…If I don’t testify, he wins. If I do…they are going to try to subpoena all of you to testify too.”

 

He puts his arm around my shoulder.  “Jessi, look at me.”  I slowly bring my eyes to his. “I’ve already told him I’d testify to what Donnie did to you on the tour.  Hanna Jo and AJ said they’d testify too.”

 

The tears that have been pooling in my eyes spill over and trickle down my face. “Nick, don’t you understand…”

 

He covers my lips with his fingertip.  “I understand more than you think.  You’re out to protect everyone but yourself. Because it’s who you are.  But you don’t have to protect me Jessi.  I’m a big boy. I can take care of myself and I’m damn sure going to take care of you. Understand?”

 

I fling myself into his arms and whisper, “I love you so much!”

 

He holds me tightly and whispers, “I love you too Baby.  And I will testify. I told you I’m going to be there every step of the way.  It’s time Donnie and his family gets brought back down to Earth.  They aren’t better than anyone else and they don’t get away with this shit because of who they are.”

 

I sob into his shoulder.  “But Nick…the fans...you don’t need to be involved in this.”

 

He leans back to look at me, brushing my hair from my face.  “Sweetheart, I don’t care what anyone else thinks.  I talked with AJ and the guys.  We’ve had a good run. We’ve had twenty years as the Backstreet Boys.  We’re going to record a new album and see what happens. What I do…what we all do now we do because we love you.  You are important to us. If the fans can’t accept that I’m standing behind the woman I love, then it’s time I got out of the game. I love performing…but I love you more. It’s as simple as that.”

 

He kisses me gently.  When our lips part, I whisper softly, “I don’t deserve this.”

 

He chuckles.  “Darling, I don’t deserve you…but I’m DAMN sure not letting you go. I love you.”

 

I press my forehead to his, wishing I could hold on to this moment forever.  “I love you too.”