- Text Size +

Project: nkotBSB

By Dottie

Copyright 2014

 

Chapter 91

 

Jessi

 

I can’t move…I’m not even sure I’m breathing.  Finally I push off of his shoulders and bring my eyes to his.  I see love and devotion staring back at me and he whispers, “Please marry me, Jessi.”

 

I gently touch his face.  I know I’m shaking. I can feel my heart pounding.  “Nick…are you…sure…you want…I mean…me?”

 

He frowns slightly.  “Jessi, I want you to be my wife.  I’ve never wanted anything more than this…I’ve never wanted anyone more than I want you. Please…say yes.”

 

He means it.  He really and truly wants to marry me.  I pull my lower lip in to keep it from quivering and I nod slowly. The smile that spreads across his face is a memory I’ll cherish forever.  He takes my lips with his, kissing me passionately.  I put my arms around his neck and for the first time ever in my life, something feels right. I feel like I’ve FINALLY made a good choice.  A GREAT choice.

 

When we part, he murmurs, “Jessi I love you so much.”

 

I kiss his nose.  “I love you too.”

 

He slowly lets me slide down his body to the sand.  I watch in awe as he slides his hand into his pocket and brings out a jewelry box.  I don’t know why, but instead of quaking in fear, I feel…peace.  He drops to his knee and opens the lid.  The ring nestled in the satin is uniquely Nick.  Its two dolphin’s swimming around each other.  The dolphins’ backs are sapphires and mounted in the tails are two small diamonds.  My eyes move up to his and he whispers, “Marry me Jessi?”

 

I nod slowly and whisper, “Yes, Nick…yes I will marry you.”

 

He takes the ring from the box and reaches for my left hand.  When he slides the ring on my finger, it’s a little loose.  He frowns and I whisper, “It’s not the end of the world.”

 

He looks up at me. “But I wanted it to be perfect.”

 

I smile, unshed tears blurring my vision.  “It is perfect.  So what if it’s a little big.  Not like that can’t be fixed.”

 

He sighs.  “I suppose.  But I want you to wear it all the time.”

 

I cup his face.  “Nick, if I lost this I’d be devastated.  For now…let’s keep it in the box.  Please?”

 

He sighs, turning his face to kiss my palm.  “I suppose.  It’s made it in the box for the last month; it should be ok for another day or two.  But I am finding a jeweler and getting it sized…SOON!”

 

As he slips the ring off and slides it back in the box I whisper, “Month?”

 

He nods and by the candlelight I can see a light blush stain his cheeks.  “Yeah…I bought it in Australia.”

 

My chin quivers and I whisper, “You wanted to…even with everything…Nick!”

 

He stands and sweeps me into a crushing hug as sobs resonate from inside me. “Jessi, I’ve wanted you in my life since the first time I saw you in that airport before the tour even started.  When you left the tour…when you ran…I thought I’d never see you again and it was killing me.  I bought the ring then.  I knew if I ever got my hands on you again I was never going to let you go. I’m going to bind you to me in every conceivable way to keep you, Miss Todd.  You can bank on that.”

 

 

After another few days of Nick and I in seclusion, I wake up feeling restless.  I can’t explain it.  I slip from the bed and go out onto the deck with my phone.  When I turn it on, I see a couple of missed calls from Hanna Jo and a single text from her. “Call me please. I need to talk.”

 

Forgetting the fact that the sun isn’t even up yet, I quickly dial her number.  When a groggy AJ answers with a curt, “WHAT?” I feel remorse.

 

Taking a deep breath and trying to sound chipper, I say, “Hey AJ, I know it’s early, but could I please speak to Hanna Jo?”

 

He sounds more alert when he says, “Jessi? Yeah, sure, hang on. She’s in the bathroom again.”  Again?  As I wait for her to pick up the phone, I hear him say, “Baby, do you need anything? Are you ok?”

 

When she answers, I demand softly, “Hanno Jo, what’s wrong? Are you sick?”

 

I hear her laugh.  Laugh?  “No, I’m not sick.  Jessi, as usual, your timing is impeccable.”

 

I giggle. “Don’t tell me I’m interrupting kinky sex time.  AJ sounded comatose when he answered.  Cranky…but comatose.”

 

She sighs and I know something is going on.  “He was sleeping. Unfortunately, I’m not having that luxury for the last few days.”

 

Curiosity is killing me. “What’s going on Ho Jo?”

 

Instead of answering me, she says, “Listen, why don’t you and Nick come to the big island for a day? Let’s get together and have some fun. Maybe go parasailing?”

 

Looking down at my newly sized ring that Nick put on my finger last night, I can’t help but smile. “You’re on Hanna Jo. I’ve been missing you. We need to talk.”

 

Her quiet agreement once again sends my curiosity into overdrive. “Yeah, we do. Listen, wake Nick up and come for brunch.  Then we can spend the afternoon hanging out and if you guys want, you can spend the night here. Our suite has two bedrooms.”

 

I can’t help but tease her. “Are the walls thick enough to drown out you and Big Mac?”

 

I can almost feel her blush through the phone.  Imagine my shock when she says, “I think for one night we can attempt to be quiet.”

 

I’m stunned into silence for all of five seconds before I manage to say, “Who are you and what the fuck have you done with my sweet, innocent Hanna Jo?”

 

She laughs and says, “Oh Jessi…you’ll never begin to know what the last few months have done for me. Thank you for bringing me on this crazy adventure.”

 

I stare at my ring with tears in my eyes. “You aren’t the only one that’s changed Hanna Jo.  How about a nice long chat when I get there? Just you and me?”

 

She sounds as choked up as I feel when she whispers, “I’d like that Jessi. See you soon.”

 

As I turn off my phone I sniffle.  For all the shit I’ve put them through I still have the most important people in my life. I’m humbled and I’m grateful.  And I’m also starving.  I run back into the house and pounce on Nick. “Wake up sleepy head. We’re going to see Ho Jo!”