- Text Size +
Midnight Mapping (Padfoot)


As though the weather was waiting for Halloween to be over to begin it's assault on the castle, the boys woke up on November 1 to find the grounds of Hogwarts had been coated overnight with a light dusting of snow. Not even enough to fully cover the grass. They agreed that, after double Defense, they'd go outside during their break for lunch and have a snowball fight. But by the time Defense was over, the snow had melted in the afternoon sun. “Bloody classes,” complained James, shoving his glasses up his nose with a frown of disappointment. “Always sapping off the fun of things, aren't they?” Even as they trooped across the grounds after lunch, headed for the Herbology greenhouses, they still didn't find enough snow for a fight, though Sirius did manage to scrape up just enough to throw a dirty ball the size of a bludger at Peter Pettigrew, who danced about as some of the snow broke apart and slipped down the back of his robes.

“We ought to sneak out of the common room tonight and see if we can't add to our map,” suggested Sirius quietly as they worked on extracting Bubotuber pus. He looked 'round at the others with an eager grin.

“Yeah,” agreed James, “I'm telling you, there's got to be more to the Third Floor. We never did find a corridor that connected through the center, like it seems Filch sometimes uses. There has to be some door or turn we've missed.”

Remus stared very hard at the Bubotubers. “Maybe we shouldn't be going out in the night at all,” he said.

“Afraid of Filch then, are you?” Sirius demanded.

Remus shook his head, “No, I just don't think it's a very wise idea. You and James have had enough detentions already and Merlin knows what'll happen if McGonagall catches you two out of the dormitory in the middle of the night.”

James shrugged, “So we get a detention from her and a couple points taken off Gryffindor. What we're working for is for the benefit of generations of future Gryffindors!” he said heartily. “It's worth a couple points!”

Remus shrugged, “I just don't think it's a very good idea, that's all.”

“So stay in the dormitory then,” Sirius said.

Remus didn't reply.

Peter spoke up instead, obviously seeing his opportunity to be more favored than Remus for once. “I don't think it's such a terrible idea,” he said, glancing at Remus with a sort of apologetic look, before giving Sirius and James one of a rebellious nature.

“Well, good, then,” said Sirius, thinking having Peter along could make for an excellent scape goat, should they need to make a quick escape. “You come along and Remus can stay in the Gryffindor common room like a prat.”

“I'm not a prat,” Remus said hotly, “I just don't fancy breaking the rules and ending up expelled!” he glowered down at the Bubotubers and when the bell rang signaling the end of the class, he got up and huffed away, leaving the other three behind as he rushed on out of the green houses.

Sirius rolled his eyes. “When did Remus get to be so uptight anyway?” he asked James as they brought the jar of pus they'd extracted up to Professor Viridi's desk amongst a throng of Hufflepuffs.

“Dunno,” James answered with a shrug.

When they got up to the common room, Remus wasn't anywhere to be found and Sirius figured he'd stormed off to brood some place alone. He grabbed hold of the roll of parchments they'd been using for the map, a new sheet for each floor, and started cutting a new sheet to the same measurements as the others for the next floor for their venture out into the halls that night. Meanwhile, James and Peter got a bit of homework done before supper.

Remus never showed up to supper.

“He's gone and disappeared again,” James whispered to Sirius.

Sirius nodded, thinking. Disappeared again, for the – what? The third time now since the start of term? What on earth could possibly be going on at home that would draw him away three times in as many months? He rubbed his chin, leaning his elbow on the edge of the table. Three times in three months… He wrecked his memory trying to recall if the dates when Remus had been absent were the same each month, but no, they couldn't have been, as this was November 1 and on September 1 they'd been on the Hogwarts Express together. It had been a few days into the term before Remus went missing. And again in October… slightly less than a full month ago… but there did seem to be some sort of pattern to it.

“Oi, Sirius, are you with us, mate?” James asked, kicking his friend in the knee.

“Huh?” Sirius shook out of his head and looked over at James and Peter, who were sitting opposite him at the table. Peter laughed. “Sorry, was thinking.”

“Is it that unusual that you're thinking that it's so noticeable, then?” James teased.

“Imagine what it'd be like if you were thinking,” Sirius replied back with a smirk, “All of England would have a holiday in honor of the rare occasion.”

“A proper bank holiday, even?” James questioned with a grin.

“Of course,” Sirius replied, “Even the goblins would take a day off. Or else they'd all drop dead from the shock of it when they heard the news that your gears were grinding in there.”

The two boys laughed while Peter ate a carrot, quite left out of their jeering fun, before finally interrupting their giggles, “So when are we going to – you know --” he glanced about to be sure none of the other Gryffindors were listening, “Go and work on the map?” he asked.

“Tonight,” Sirius replied, “Maybe 'round midnight or so?”

James nodded, “Brilliant.”

“Are we really not going to bring along Remus?” Peter asked.

“If Remus is 'round we'll ask him of course,” James answered, at the same time as Sirius confirmed, “Let the prat stay in the dorms!” James frowned at Sirius. “It's his map, too,” he said.

“But if he's so afraid of a detention --”

“He's just worried about his grades,” replied James with a wave of his hand, “You know Lupin, he's worried about things like that. Deep down, he's our kind of guy, just a bit more cautious. Bet his folks make a big deal about his grades or something. His mum's a muggle, isn't she? Muggles put a lot of stock in grades and the like.”

Peter nodded, “They do. It's true.”

Sirius laughed, “Why on earth would they? If you can do the magic in the end, who cares how quickly you caught on? I mean, that's all a grade really signifies, isn't it?”

James shrugged, “I suppose it shows how well you listen and maybe catching on quick is a part because – I don't know – adapting to situations or, or something.”

“Well we've plenty of time to worry about grades when we're older,” Sirius said with a shrug. “Not as if we're being made to choose careers and take OWLs this year. Might as well have a bit of fun before we get on taking things seriously.” He grabbed a piece of treacle tart. “Besides, I don't know, there's something else funny about Remus.”

“Something else funny?” James asked around a bite of pork.

“Yeah,” Sirius replied.

“Like what?” Peter asked.

“Like this disappearing bit he does every month,” Sirius replied. “Where's he go?”

James was cutting his chops up into little bites. “He went home he said.”

“But why?”

“Family emergency,” James answered. “Remember?”

“Once a month?” Sirius challenged.

Peter was nibbling at an ear of corn. “Maybe he has a standing dentist appointment.” Both James and Sirius looked at him with raised eyebrows. Peter swallowed hard and turned red, “It was just a suggestion,” he said.

Every month since the start of term,” Sirius emphasized his last point, as though Peter's dentist suggestion hadn't even been brought up. “For several days at a time each time. And none of the teachers acknowledge it. None of them ask us where he's at. None of them scold him next time they see him. By now, Dumbledore himself should've been involved. Remus should've been expelled or something by now. Something's going on.”

James shrugged, “Whatever it is, he doesn't want us to know about it or he would've told us.”

“Well I want to know,” Sirius said. “Remus calls us his friends and yet he's got some great deal to get himself out of having to sit through History of Magic with Binns or that blast Potions class. He needs to let us in on his secret to getting out of classes.”

That night, the boys went up to their tower dormitory early in hopes that the other Gryffindors would follow suit so that they could get out of the common room with most of the night to map the corridors below. Bilius and Derek sat up in the common room for some time, though, going over new Quidditch strategies by the fireplace. It was nearly one o'clock before they carried their parchments up to the sixth years' dormitories and cleared the way for Sirius, James, and Peter to sneak out through the portrait hole.

“This way,” Sirius said, and he led them down some of the moving staircases to the lower levels of the castle, headed for the fourth floor, where they could begin mapping out the new territory. There were no signs of Filch or Mrs. Norris and for that they were all quite thankful. After all, the less obstacles they faced, the better.

They reached the fourth floor without any trouble at all, and quickly located an empty classroom to lay out their parchments and draw in the way they'd just come, turning the page to line up with the one they'd drawn for the third floor so that the stair cases were where they ought to be. They'd just finished getting the parchment prepared and were about to strike out into the halls again when they heard an echoing voice in the hallway.

James's eyes were wide, “Dumbledore,” he hissed.

The boys quickly darted back into the classroom, where James and Peter ducked into a supply closet at the far side, but Sirius dropped his wand and had to double back. He'd only just gotten through the door and pressed his back to the wall before Dumbledore's footsteps were too close to chance moving again, lest he be heard, so he stayed very still.

There were two voices, he realized, as they came closer. The not-Dumbledore voice was speaking and he realized with a jolt that he knew that voice. Knew it very well. It was Remus! “It's very lonesome during the days, when I'm not – you know.” He paused and Sirius heard them come to a stop. “There's no one to talk to. I miss my friends.” Remus sighed.

“I'm very sorry to hear of that,” Dumbledore said sadly. “It's quite a challenge, being alone, one which I myself suffer with quite frequently.” He paused. “I wish that I could help, that there was a way to keep you from having to be so very alone, but for the safety of the others...”

“I understand,” Remus said.

“Professor Slughorn is working very hard with many prominent potion masters all over the world, trying to find an antidote,” Dumbledore added. “One day, we hope to end all of the suffering that those with your condition must endure.”

Remus sighed, “Wish we had it now.”

“As do I, my boy,” Dumbledore agreed. He sighed, too. “I do wish there was more I could do to help you.”

Remus said, “Well. It would help if you could tell me what to tell my friends. They keep asking after me whenever I go – and, well, I think they're getting suspicious.”

“As good friends tend to do,” Dumbledore replied.

“What should I tell them?” Remus asked.

Dumbledore was quiet for a long moment and Sirius felt strangely as though Dumbledore somehow was aware that he was there, just behind the wall, but he didn't know why he thought so. Sirius held his breath.

“Tell them only what they need to know,” Dumbledore answered. “Only what you trust them with.”

“Yes, sir,” Remus answered.

“Now come, we must get you downstairs,” Dumbledore said, and the sounds of their footsteps echoed on down the hallway, fading the further away they got, until finally they were gone and Sirius finally let out a gasp for air, filling his lungs fully.

“You can come out now,” he called to James and Peter, who came spilling from the cupboard, the map parchment in hand.

“That was close,” Peter said, wringing his hands, “Maybe Remus was right. Maybe this isn't such a good idea.

James rolled his eyes, “First sign of trouble and this one wants to go back to the common room. Don't be such a sissy, Peter.” He turned to Sirius, “What in bloody hell was Dumbledore doing roaming 'round the corridors at this hour?” he asked.

“Don't know,” lied Sirius.

James was still dusting off for the cupboard had been quite stuffed with old fur jackets that had been collecting dust for eons it seemed. “Well – Blimey!” he complained, frowning.

Sirius glanced at the hall. “You know, I think we really ought to go back up to the common room,” he said.

James looked surprised, “What? Why? We were going to map.”

“I know,” Sirius said, thinking of how sad Remus had sounded, saying he missed his friends. “But maybe we ought to wait until Remus is back. I feel bad leaving him out of it, even if he was being a prat about it. I mean, you're right, it's his map, too. It's not right working on it without him. Besides, look at that shoddy staircase we drew. Remus is much better at the drawing parts than we are. That looks awful, that staircase does.”

Squinting at Sirius, James had a feeling there was more to Sirius's sudden change of heart than he was letting on. Sirius glanced at Peter, then back to James, trying to send him the message that he'd tell him more about what was going on once Peter was asleep back in the dormitory. “Alright, fine, let's go back to the common room, then.”

“How come he's not a sissy for wanting to go back to the common room?” demanded Peter as Sirius ducked his head out of the classroom to look both ways and listen for Filch or his cat.

“Dunno,” replied James as they followed Sirius along the corridor, back to the staircases.

Peter sighed as they climbed the stairs, “Sometimes I don't feel like you like me as much as you like each other or Remus,” he complained.

James looked up at Sirius for help in bridging the awkward moment. Peter was right, of course, but James was fairly certain being honest was not the best policy at that moment. “We like you plenty,” replied Sirius, “Don't worry about it so much. You just over think it, that's your problem. Just believe us we like you and leave it at that.”

Peter nodded slowly.

Back in the common room, Sirius and James laid silent in their beds until Peter had fallen asleep and his snores filled the dormitory before Sirius quietly snuck out of bed and led the way past the other years' doors and the two boys sat near to the fireplace, huddled together. “So what really went on?” James asked, voice in a hushed whisper, “What made you decide to turn back?”

“Remus was with Dumbledore,” whispered Sirius. “Dumbledore and him were talking. Wherever Remus is going, he's going alone and he says he misses us while he's gone, but Dumbledore said that it couldn't be helped for our safety.”

James looked confused, “For our safety? What's that mean, ey?”

“I dunno,” answered Sirius. “But whatever it is, it's got to do with why Remus has been disappearing. And Dumbledore's the reason why Remus hasn't been telling us. He asked Dumbledore what he ought to be saying to us to make us stop asking him where he's gone and Dumbledore told him to tell us what we need to know.”

The confusion on James's face only deepened. “That's weird,” he said. “Why would Dumbledore want Remus to keep it a secret where he's going every month?”

“I don't know,” Sirius replied.

“And for our safety, too,” James mused.

“Strange, the lot of it,” Sirius agreed. “None of it makes sense.”

“None of it,” James confirmed.

Sirius said, “Anyway, I felt like a bugger going on and mapping without him, when he's missing us and all.”

“Don't blame you,” James said.

“But I'm bloody well going to keep asking him about where he goes,” Sirius added, “I don't care if he has Dumbledore telling him not to. If we keep asking him, eventually he's bound to crack and tell us, right? If he's really our friend he'll trust us not to tell anyone 'bout it.”

James glanced back toward the staircase to the dormitories. “Maybe he's not told us because of Peter,” he whispered even quieter than before.

“Because of Peter?” asked Sirius.

“Yeah. You know, because Peter's always there. Maybe Remus only wants to tell us, you and me. I mean… maybe he doesn't trust Peter.”

“Maybe he doesn't trust us,” Sirius countered.

“Maybe we ought to show him he can,” James suggested.

“How?” Sirius asked.

James shrugged.

Sirius thought for a few moments, but nothing came to him – no great inspirations. He looked at James. “You know, if I had a big secret, I would tell you first thing.”

“I'd tell you, too,” James agreed, “You're my best mate.”

“Mine, too,” Sirius answered.

There was an awkward moment in which neither of them really knew what to say next, now that their great declaration of friendship had been made. They shifted uncomfortably.

“Anyway,” muttered James, “We better be going back to bed. There's Charms first thing.”

“Right,” Sirius agreed, “But we can have a nap in History after at least.”

James laughed, “Of course. What else is there to do while Binns is going on about Goblin Wars?”

The two boys went back up to the dormitories and climbed into bed, neither aware that Peter Pettigrew had awakened and found their beds empty and knew that they'd gone off to talk without him.