- Text Size +
October 30, 2009

Two ladders stood outside the gym doors, people stood on the rails hanging a large banner over the doorway. A crew of other students worked around the gym setting up the decorations for the dance trying to make it as scary and spooky as possible. tall ladders jetting up towards the ceiling, kids hanging paper ghosts and streamers from the rafters along with giant nets filled with black and orange balloons, fake fog blew across the floor.

“Looks great” Natalie said, a long string of plastic spiders was wrapped around her neck. She plugged a few plastic jack-o-lanterns in, their spooky faces glowing brightly, she then lined them with fake cobwebs. Someone creeped up behind her, reaching out and putting their hands on her arms, she jumped.

"Boo!" Neilson yelled.

"Ugh" she groaned in aggravation, she then slapped him.

“Oh come on” he said wrapping his arms around her waist “It’s just a joke” he said as she glared at him.

“Why aren't you out in the courtyard with the drama department?" she asked irritated.

“I was, but then Adam came out and started being a dick and bossing everyone around, so I left” Neilson said irritated.

“Why am I not surprised?” she asked "Well as long as you're here go help your best friend set up the music equipment" she said to him.

"You got to relax" he said rubbing her shoulders.

"I'll relax when the dance is over" she said to him.

Bradley set a box down on a small stage "Ow" he said grabbing his arm, rubbing the sore spots.

"Hey DJ Bradley J." Neilson said to him, stepping up onto a small stage where the DJ's booth was set up "You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah just my bad arm that's all" Bradley said.

“You have a bad arm?” Neilson asked.

“Yeah you know the one I was shot in, the one that was sliced open…the one that hurts like a bitch” Bradley said, still rubbing his arm.

Neilson lightly pressed on it as well "Need any help?"

"Uh yeah the rest of the music is still out in my car" Bradley said.

“I got it” Neilson said stepped down from the stage and headed towards the doors.

Kyle sat on the bleachers captivated by his phone, he stared down at it looking at the blue and green conversation bubbles.

"Hey" the bubble said.

"Hey yourself" he wrote back.

“Excited for Halloween?” the bubble read.

“Totally” he wrote back “Setting up for the dance tomorrow night” he wrote "You coming?" he asked.

"Wouldn't miss it" the bubble said.

"Think we can finally meet?" he wrote back.

"Maybe ;)" the message said.

“Kyle?” Natalie asked grabbing his attention.

“Huh? Oh I’m sorry, I’m supposed to be helping” he said "Guess I'm a little distracted" he said smiling.

“Your secret admirer again?” she asked smiling.

“Yeah” he said chuckling lightly.

"Aw, so how's it going?" she asked sitting next to him on the bleachers.

"Great, we've been texting each other for almost a month now."

“Oh my god you are so smitten it’s so cute" she said happily. "So, is she your date for the dance?" she asked.

He shrugged “I asked if we could meet.”

"And?" Natalie asked as he showed her the message "Wow" Natalie said reading it.

"It's so weird I've been going through all my yearbooks trying to figure out who it is and…I don’t think I’ve met her before" he said.

“Maybe she goes to a different school, she at least tell you her name?” Natalie asked.

"Nope, she’s doing a good job at the whole secret part of being a secret admirer” he said laughing lightly.

“How do you know she is actually a she?" Bradley asked into the microphone, smirking at Kyle.

"Bradley" Natalie said to him "Don't listen to him" Natalie said to him.

"I never do" Kyle said to her.

Neilson carried a plastic tote into the gym, setting it on the staging area. “What are they talking about?” he asked Bradley.

“Kyle’s ‘secret admirer’” Bradley said to him.

“So stupid, he's been talking to this person for almost a month doesn't know their name...for all he knows it could be Coach Reinhart” Neilson said, Bradley snickered. “He can’t see that he’s obviously being played!” Neilson said in the microphone, Kyle raised his hand in the air and flipped them both off. “Very mature Kyle!” Neilson said once again into the microphone.

Kyle held his phone in his hand and looked at the new message that popped up "I guess I'll find out tomorrow night" he said showing her the message.

"It is Halloween...anything can happen" she said to him.

"Trust me I've had enough surprises for a lifetime" he said to her.

“We all have” Natalie said to him.


~*~



October 31, 2009

It's a dead man's party
Who could ask for more?
Everybody's comin' leave your body at the door
Leave your body and soul at the door...


A cloud of fog covered the large moon hanging in the sky, a low grumbling sound followed by subtle flashes of light lighting up the night.

A steady pulsating beat resonated from the gym, fake cobwebs and plastic spiders were plastered over the front doors of the school. A pair of black boots approached the small staircase, a figure in all black approached the entrance, walked through the black and orange streamers hanging down from the doorway Damien pulled the black fabric away from his face, looking around, he pulled a phone from his costume.

"Meet me in the principal's office" read a message from his father.

He pulled the mask over his face once again and began to walk towards the principal's office, he was pushed aside.

"Oh hey, sorry" a familiar voice said bumping into him, he turned to look and saw Kyle, dressed as Indiana Jones standing before him with an apologetic smile on his face. "Sorry about that" Kyle said once again, making his way towards the gym.

Kyle got to the gym, looking around at the crowd of people that was scattered around. Derek waited in the principal’s office smoking a cigar, watching the smoke cloud in the darkness.

"Hey" Damien said to him, shutting the door behind him.

"Get lost?" Derek asked irritated.

"Sorry...thought I saw something...I bumped into Kyle" Damien said.

Derek looked at him in fear "Did he recognize you?"

"Course not, my face was covered" Damien said to him
"Got the stuff?" he asked.

Derek reached into the breast pocket of his jacket pulling out a small pouch and handing it to Damien. "Richardson still buying the secret admirer ruse?" Derek asked.

"Like a sucker" Damien said to him.

"Wonderful, you know what to do" Derek said to him.

Damien pulled the veil back over his face, slipping out of the principal’s office and back into the hallway, he made his way towards the gym. Derek reached into his pocket pulling out a small remote and smiling at it before returning it to his pocket.

Elsewhere, bright red electronic numbers glowed in the dark, counting down quickly, the numbers changing at an accelerated speed.

The lights in the gym were turned down, a disco ball hung from the ceilings, strobe lights flashed in front of the DJ stand. A machine blew thick clouds of fog across the floor, orange and black streamers hung from the ceiling. He pulled his phone from the leather jacket of his costume "I'm here" he wrote in a text message, he looked around when he felt his hand vibrating "Me too ;)" the message read.

Damien stood outside the gym, looking in at the dance, Kyle found his way to his fellow football teammates.

"Coming through! newspaper duty!" Harry, dressed as Harry Potter yelled wading through the dance floor, holding his camera in the air.

He spotted Bradley in a black fedora and a suit, dark sunglasses covering his deep blue eyes standing on the stage.


~*~



Dean's eyes dropped as he leaned back in his chair, startling himself awake a few times before finally succumbing to exhaustion.

A small TV played in his office “And now here’s our very own Todd Chandler with the weather” a female newscaster said as they segued into the weather

“Thanks Marissa, Happy Halloween everyone!” Todd said happily. “so far we’re having great weather for trick or treating tonight but I’d have the kids home and in bed soon because a thunderstorm is fast approaching and is scheduled to hit the area in about an hour” Todd said as the screen changed behind him. “so for all you kids that haven’t got your candy yet, try hit as many houses as you can within the next hour, trick or treating is no fun out in the rain and now our seven day forecast…”

"Stone!" his captain yelled coming into his office Dean quickly composed himself, jumping out of his seat "We have a problem" the captain said to him.

"What's wrong?" Dean asked him.

"I found out something you might find interesting."

"Oh?" he asked.

"I was having lunch with a colleague...he filled me in on his latest case."

"Okay..." Dean said "Is the interesting part coming up or..."

"Don't be cute Stone, this has to do with the Winchester case" he said to Dean.

“The Winchesters are dead, the case is closed, what possibly could’ve happened?” Dean asked.

"They found a car belonging to the medical examiner at the bottom of Dead Man's Pond...his body was in the trunk."

"What?! that's insane...I just talked to the guy weeks ago" Dean said leaning back in his chair "Well what's that got to do with Winchesters?"

"The day he went missing...he only talked to one outside person...you" the captain said to Dean as he sat back in his chair with a look of confusion on his face.