- Text Size +
Winter was still in full force when February rolled around, the chilly winter air, snow and ice covering the ground. Love was in the air as Valentine's day fast approached, the school prepping for it's annual Valentine's Day sock-hop. Vicki stood on a ladder as she hung decorations above the counter.

"Very nice" Marla said as she carried a box and set it on the counter.

"What's that?" Vicki asked, glancing over her shoulder.

"Well someone from the school asked me if I had any records they could use for your little sock hop, so I'm loaning them these."

"Oh great" Vicki said to her.

"Mind bringing them back when they're done?" she asked Vicki.

"Not at all."

"Oh just put that up a little higher" Marla said as she walked into the kitchen Vicki reached up and stood on her tippy toes as she raised a decoration higher. The ladder wobbled as she reached higher, the door opened and Brian came in, Vicki stumbled from the ladder and he raced over to her, she landed safely in his arms.

"Oh my god" she said laughing "Wow, good catch" she said to him as he set her down.

"And someone once told me beautiful girls just don't fall out of the sky" he said setting her on the floor.

"Hi" she said.

"Hey" he said to her as they kissed.

"Ready?" he asked her.

"Yep, just let me get my stuff, Marla I'm heading out!" Vicki yelled into the kitchen.

"Okay sweetie, I'll see you tomorrow, don't forget the records!" Marla said to her.

"I got them" he said picking up the box.

~*~


"Ice patch, ice patch coming up" Brian said as they walked home together, she laughed.

"I can see it, thanks" she said to him.

"Oh there's another one" he said picking her up in his arms and carrying her over the patch of ice she laughed.

"Thank you" she said as he set her back down "So much ice" she said as they continued to walk.

"Yeah, got to love winter" he said "I love snow" he said as they stopped "You know I used to make the greatest snow balls when I was younger".

Just like that a snow ball hit him right in the face, he looked over at Vicki who was laughing at him.

"Sorry, I couldn't resist" she said as she laughed harder, he formed a snowball and threw it at her, she squealed.

"Hey!" she said laughing before throwing another snow ball at him, he grabbed her and pulled her close, they kissed.

~*~


The backdoor opened, they came in, he set the box of records on the kitchen counter.

"Your mom home?" he asked.

"Mm I don't know, mom?!" Vicki yelled only to be met with silence "Guess not" she said.

"Good" he said pulling her close and kissing her deeply.

"Want some hot chocolate?" she asked as they pulled apart.

"Love some, hey uh would you mind explaining to me this new stuff we got in math?"

"Course" she said filling the tea kettle. She then went to her backpack and unzipped it finding a pink paper heart inside, she smiled and turned to face him "What's this?" she asked.

"Why don't you open it and find out?" he said to her She unfolded it and found two tickets to the sock hop taped inside "Be my date?" it said underneath "Well?" he asked coming towards her.

"I'll think about it" she said before laughing "Of course I will" she said wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him. They looked into each other's eyes once they pulled apart.

"Vicki" he said holding her closely.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"I...I uh..." the tea kettle began screaming as Vicki raced to switch it to another burner.

"I'm sorry what were you saying?"

"Well I uh..." he stammered.

"Hi kids" Lizzie said coming into the kitchen.

"I have to go home" he said.

"Oh okay" Vicki said as he got his things.

"I'll call you later" he said kissing her as he left "That was weird" Vicki said to her mom.

"I got news for you honey, he's a teenage boy...they're all weird" Lizzie said to her.

"No he's been acting like that for a couple days now" she said leaning against the counter.

"Anything wrong?" Lizzie asked opening the freezer.

"No everything's great, look" she said handing her the paper heart.

"Oh that is so sweet" Lizzie gushed "You two are so cute" Lizzie said squishing Vicki's face.

"Thanks mom" Vicki said rubbing her cheek.

~*~


Later that night he sat on the couch in Jason's basement, staring into space. Jason sat next to him and looked at him confused before waving his hand in front of his face.

"Hello? Anyone in there?" he asked "Anyone at all?" he asked again.

"Can I ask you something?" Brian finally said breaking the silence.

"About?" Jason asked.

"Have you told Em you loved her yet?" Brian asked.

"Oh here we go" Jason said putting his hands on his face.

"Can you just answer the question?"

"No, why would I do something stupid like that for?"

"So...you don't love Em?" Brian asked.

"Well yeah course I do...I think...I don't know...why do you do this to me?" he asked.

"I want to tell Vicki I love her" he said, Jason looked at him before grabbing one the couch pillows and began to hit him with it.

"Ow! Stop it!" he yelled at him "What was that for?" he asked annoyed.

"You are so stupid!"

"Okay J, you either give me advice that actually helps or you say nothing."

"Don't do it!"

"Why not? I do love her!"

"You don't even know what love means, you're a kid!"

"Oh I'm sorry Jason I wasn't aware that you could feel what I feel" he said.

"Listen to me, Vicki's not even been living here a year yet, you guys have only been going out for a couple months, how do you know you're in love?" Jason asked him.

"You just know J okay? Its a gut feeling."

"Yeah you love with your heart not your gut" Jason said to him.

"I know! Trust me I know in my heart...why do I talk to you about this stuff?" Brian asked.

"I'm starting to wonder the same thing, you never listen to me anyways."

"Yeah trust me that's a good thing."

~*~


Vicki sat at the dining room table, twirling her dinner around with her fork.

"Here we go" Lizzie said coming into the room with a basket.

"Fresh bread" she said putting a piece on Vicki's place "Vicki?" she asked.

"Hmm? Oh bread" she said.

"You okay?" Lizzie asked.

"Yeah just thinking about school" Vicki said eating.

"You kids have some unusual pet names for each other" Lizzie said as Vicki looked at her, she laughed.

"Mom?" Vicki asked.

"Yes?" Lizzie asked.

"Never mind" she said.

"No no, what is it?" Lizzie asked.

"I don't want to upset you" Vicki said to her.

"Why would you upset me?" Lizzie asked.

"I wanted to ask about you and Tommy..." Vicki said as Lizzie looked up at her. "See? this is what I wanted to avoid, I'm sorry for asking, just forget I said anything" Vicki said nervously getting up from the table.

"No...it's okay, really" Lizzie said to her "Me and Tommy, what about us?" Lizzie asked.

"You always said he was your first love" Vicki said.

"Yes, he was."

"Mom it's okay you don't have to talk about this."

"Honey, I'm fine, besides this isn't about me, this is about you" Lizzie said to her.

"Well what made you so sure you were in love with Tommy?" Lizzie's face lit up.

"Oh my god" she said "You're in love."

"No I'm not" Vicki said to her.

"Yes you are!" Lizzie said happily.

"Well that's just it, how can I be sure?" Vicki asked.

"Are you lightheaded?" Lizzie asked.

"Kind of" Vicki said to her.

"Is your heart pounding?" Lizzie asked.

"Oh yeah" Vicki said to her.

"What about your stomach?" Lizzie asked.

"Butterflies" she said.

"Do you miss him right now?"

"So much."

"You think about him constantly?"

"Night and day."

"There you go" Lizzie said to her.

~*~


"Hey" Emily said coming down into the basement.

"Thank you, a sensible person, can you talk some sense into him please?" Jason asked.

"what's wrong?" Emily asked.

"I'm in love with Vicki."

"Well duh" Emily said to him "You have been since you met her" Emily said to him "What's the problem?" she asked.

"He wants to tell her" Jason said to her.

Emily squealed "Oh my god!" she said happily "You want to tell her you love her?" she asked.

"I want to...getting the words out is a bit of a challenge though" he said.

"What's the worst that could happen?" Emily asked.

"I could freak her out, what if she doesn't say it back?" he asked.

"Remember how nervous you were to ask her to the beach party?" Emily asked.

"Yes."

"Well you did it didn't you?" she asked.

"Yeah..." he said.

"Totally different situations" Jason said "That was just a date, this is a heartfelt declaration of feeling, if she doesn't say it back he'll look like an idiot" Jason said, he turned to glare at him.

"You really are a big help" he said, Jason smiled and patted his shoulder.

"Okay, now I cannot reveal anything that was said to me in confidence but I can assure you, Vicki feels the same way about you that you do about her."

"She does?" he asked.

"Of course, you're all she talks about, the way you make her feel, everything."

"Really?" he asked.

"Yeah, you two are so perfect for each other, don't give up now" Emily said to him.

"Oh god..." Jason groaned in disgust.

"You know it wouldn't hurt you to say it once in a while" she said to him angrily.

"See?" he said to Jason.

"So? Are you going to tell her?" Emily asked.

"Yeah...yeah I will" he said.

"Oh this is so exciting!" Emily said happily.

"Yeah for them, what are you so happy for?" Jason asked.

"That's what friends do J, they support each other and are happy for each other" Emily said to him.

"Well can you stop please? It's making me nauseous" Jason said to her.

~*~


Valentine's day fell on everyone in a flash, every couple in school was feeling cupid's magic.

"Morning Romeo" Jason said to Brian.

"Hey what's up?" he asked, he then heard Lisa call to him as she and her friends walked towards him.

"Happy Valentine's Day" she said to him.

"Happy Valentine's Day" he said.

"So I'm still waiting for an invitation to the dance tonight" Lisa said to him.

"You?" he asked.

"I know its crazy."

"What are you talking about? Ten guys asked you this morning" Megan said to her as Lisa drove her heel into Megan's toes.

"So? Would you do me the honor?" Lisa asked.

"I'd like to help you out but I have a girlfriend" Jason said to her.

"Not you, you little germ" Lisa said to him.

"I have a girlfriend too, I'm going with Vicki" Brian said.

"Oh...you're still with her?"

"Yeah..." he said.

"Fine, but I'll be there just in case you should want to dance, bye" she said as they walked away.

"I hate you" Jason said to him "See how badly she wants you?"

"Yeah its becoming a tad obvious, just hope she doesn't go all fatal attraction on me or Vicki".

"Speaking of which, you uh...profess your love yet?" Jason asked.

"Tonight, at the dance."

"Ah, good timing, well hey...good luck...I'm really happy for you" he said.

"Did Emily tell you to say all that?" he asked.

"...maybe" Jason said to him.

~*~


"There we are" Lizzie said helping Vicki into a vintage fifties dress "What do you think?" Lizzie asked.

"It's a little tight" Vicki said "I can hardly breathe" she said.

"I told you, the girdle makes the dress look better" Lizzie said as she fixed Vicki's hair.

"I can feel my ribs slowly being crushed" Vicki said to her.

"Oh here you go" Lizzie said handing her a pair of white gloves.

"Gloves?" Vicki asked.

"Take it from a person who was there, these were big" Lizzie said to her, Vicki slipped the gloves on.

"Well?" Vicki asked turning around.

"Looking peachy keen jelly bean" Lizzie said to her.

"That's a good thing right?" Vicki asked her.

The doorbell rang "That's him" Vicki said rushing out of her room and down the steps, her dress billowing out as she ran down the stairs, she opened the door.

"Hi" she said as he stood on the front porch.

"Hey" Brian said, his hair was slicked back.

"You look great, nice hair" she said to him.

"You, you look beautiful" he said to her.

"Thanks."

"Okay here we go" Lizzie said helping Vicki with her coat.

"Ready?"

"Lets go" she said as she took his hand "Bye mom."

"Bye, have fun" Lizzie said shutting the door.

~*~


They got to the gym and looked around.

"Wow" Vicki said.

"Yeah they did a good job" he said taking her coat from her "I'll hang these up" he said.

"Okay, want a drink?"

"Sure" he said as they parted.

"Well well well" Lisa said coming up behind Vicki as she pulled two bottles of soda from a cooler. Vicki turned around to face her "Look who's here."

"Do you need something?" Vicki asked annoyed "Nice outfit, bad Sandy from Grease right? Or are satin stretch pants just a part of your regular wardrobe?" Vicki asked her.

"Ooh good one, looks like little miss perfect has a mouth on her."

"If you'll excuse me I have to get back to my boyfriend" Vicki said.

"Oh that's right he's your 'boyfriend' now" Lisa said making air quotes with her fingers. "Well your damsel in distress act may have worked with him but its sure as hell not working with me."

"Got it, good to know" Vicki said before trying to leave once more.

"Look you little snake, I want him and I will get him because I always get what I want" Lisa sneered.

"Not this time" Vicki said smiling and finally walking away.

They spent the night dancing and having fun with their friends but he still hadn't told Vicki the thing he had been trying to all week. He stood by the refreshment table with a bottle of soda in his hand.

"Well? Did you tell her?" Jason asked.

"No" Brian said annoyed.

"You were hyped up about it this morning" Jason said to him.

"Every time I try there's an interruption or I chicken out" Brian said.

"Well you better say it soon, the dance is almost over" Jason said to him.

"No, no I am not giving up that easily" Brian said to Jason.

"Put your money where your mouth is casanova" Jason said to him, he walked across the gym to where Vicki was standing with Emily.

"Okay love birds, this is the last dance" the DJ said.

"oh hey, I was looking for you" she said as they kissed. Earth Angel began to play in the gym, echoing off the walls. "Oh I love this song" Vicki said.

"Want to dance?" he asked.

"Sure" she said as they went to the dance floor, they cuddled up together as they began to sway softly to the song.

"Well?" Jason asked as the song ended and everyone began to leave the gym.

"Couldn't do it" he said.

"Sorry dude" Jason said to him.

"Oh my god tell me everything" Emily said to him.

"Didn't happen" Jason said to her.

"What? I thought you had a plan?" Emily asked.

"I did but it was too nerve wracking I couldn't do it" he said to her.

"So what are you going to do?" Jason asked.

"I don't know, look I'm going to walk Vicki home, I'll see you guys later" he said getting his coat.

"Ready?" Vicki asked carrying a large box in her arms.

"Oh hey I'll get that" he said taking it from her.

"Thanks, mind stopping at the diner with me? I just want to drop these off for Marla."

"Yeah sure" he said as they left the gym.

~*~


Snow was softly falling from the sky, the sky had turned a pinkish orange color, it blanketed the town, making everything a pristine white.

"Marla?" Vicki asked as she shook the snow off her.

"Well look at you two, makes me feel like I'm back in high school" she said to them.

"College" her husband coughed.

"Shut up Bob!" Marla yelled at him.

"Brought your records back" Brian said setting the box on the counter.

"You must be freezing, come on sit down I'll make you some hot chocolate" she said to them.

They took their coats off, hanging them on the rack by the door. Vicki sat in a booth watching snow falling quietly to the ground from the window, she rubbed her arms.

“Here we are” Brian said setting two steaming mugs on the table top.

“Oh great” she said taking the mug, he slid into the booth next to her.

“You cold?” he asked.

“Yeah I think I left my sweater in the gym” she said.

“Oh here” he said taking his sweater off “Take my…really lame letter sweater” he said laughing.

“Aw I think you look cute in this” she said as she put it over her shoulders.

“Thanks, it’s actually my dad’s” he said “You have a good time tonight?” he asked.

“Course I did, I was with you” she said smiling, leaning into him as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders. “Hey, are you alright? you've been acting kind of weird these past couple days, is there something wrong?" she asked.

“Oh yeah…well…” he said.

“Well…?” she asked.

“It’s just…I’ve been trying to tell you something and…I don’t really know how” he said.

“Well just say it, you know you can tell me anything” she said.

“Yeah, I know but…this is important, I want it be just right” he said smiling at her. He took her hand, linking their fingers together “I love you Vicki” he said to her.

She smiled at him “Wow…really?” she asked.

“Course” he said “Look I know this is sudden so you don’t have to say it back or anything…” he said.

“No, no…I love you too” she said, they smiled at each other before kissing deeply.

Marla stood behind them, quietly watching, smiling happily, she reached into her smock and pulled out a quarter. She slipped it into the jukebox and pressed a button letting the music fill air.
Chapter End Notes:
Lyrics: We Belong Together- Robert & Johnny