- Text Size +
“You’re late.”

Nick looked up at the accusatory tone in his friend’s voice and shrugged, “You’re welcome.”

Howie’s eyes narrowed and he took on the same posture Nick’s mother used to take on whenever she was pissed.

It annoyed Nick even further to see Howie do it, “I had to lie to my girlfriend about what we were going to do today,” Howie grumbled.

“Again?”

“What? You little-”

“Shut up!” AJ hissed, “It’s only by a miracle nobody knows we’re here yet.”

When Kevin came out of the sound booth, he didn’t look particularly impressed. “So much work to do.”

“Aren’t you glad the whole world is unaware?” AJ smirked, “We suck.”

“Speak for yourself,” Nick growled.

“Aww, honey, you know we do,” AJ kept smiling, “Been out of practice for too long, ‘s all.”

“Yeah, sorry about that,” Brian’s voice was soft and he hadn’t spoken much since they got to the studio at all.

He was more known to silently observe things nowadays before speaking up. AJ’s smirk fell instantly and he looked at the ground.

“Sorry,” he mumbled.

“Don’t be,” Brian replied before slowly rising from the couch. Without a word he disappeared into the sound booth.

“Damnit,” AJ mumbled under his breath and Nick sighed.

It had been over a year since the kidnapping; Brian had been home for four months, and still every encounter with the group was awkward. Nick sank unto the couch and stretched his long legs trying to avoid the dog’s gaze that seemed to be glaring at him. Nick had never really liked big dogs and while Bonnie wasn’t exactly large, she didn’t seem to be very fond of him. He’d tried everything to make friends with the white brown canine, but for some reason, she didn’t trust him.

Which was particularly awkward considering her and Brian were always together. The dog yawned at him when he looked at her and then promptly walked away to watch her owner through the glass.

“See,” Nick muttered, nodding at Bonnie, “told you she hates me.”

Kevin raised his eyebrows, “You’re taking that relationship between the dog and you way too personal, dude. She’s a working dog and she has a job right now. She doesn’t hate you.”

Nick nodded absently, watching Bonnie’s intent gaze on Brian, like the singer could drop at every single moment, which, Nick realized grimly once again, could actually be the case. He’d spent the past year being incredibly worried and the thought that Brian could just pass out from one moment to the next was actually quite terrifying. Still, his friend had ensured him that his meds were doing a great job and that he hadn’t had seizures in over four months. Bonnie was just a precaution, really. But Nick had trouble coming up with a way they could ever be just like they were again.

People would now associate them with the kidnapping, instead of their music. How could they ever move on from that?

By making a stellar album, Nick thought, returning AJs thumbs up after they had put on their headphones. Brian was nailing the song, just like he used to do; like nothing bad had ever happened.

And that was just how it was supposed to be, decided Nick. They would just have to forget about everything and go on. They’d be stronger than ever before, he realized with a smile. Because honestly, Nick had had the feeling they were on the verge of breaking up right before the kidnapping. Everybody was always snapping at each other and Nick concluded more than once that the pressure of the spotlight was eventually going to destroy their friendship. But now, they hadn’t had a fight in months and everyone seemed focused on the same goal and the group just seemed to get along for the first time in years, really. It also helped that management was mostly leaving them alone and actually gave them time to get everything figured out, which, Nick presumed, was just what was needed. They’d make a comeback in their own time, on their own account.

Lost in thought, Nick hadn’t realized that Brian’s voice had silenced, and now only the soft piano melody was playing through the headphones. He frowned when he heard Bonnie bark and saw AJ rising from the couch in an instant. Nick turned around and watched Brian standing there with a kind of dazed expression on his face, unmoving. Bonnie barked again, nervously pacing the floor, obviously irritated that she couldn’t go into the sound booth to do her job. Nick only realized what was happening when AJ threw open the door and grabbed a hold of Brian, who was still absently staring off into the distance with an unfocused gaze. Nick jumped from his seat, fear suddenly making his heart hammer and he vaguely noticed Howie and Kevin getting up in the other room as well.

“Stay back,” AJ grunted, not letting go of Brian, who was still unresponsively staring a hole into the wall.

Bonnie was already by his side and Nick was amazed at the trained routine with which the dog began to move everything in the recording room out of the way, looking back every now and then to inspect her owner’s condition. AJ started to gently but sternly guide Brian to the floor, all the while speaking in a calm, even voice. Nick didn’t want to watch, but couldn’t tear his eyes away at the same time. He’d seen four of Brian’s seizures, and still felt just as helpless as he did the first time. There was nothing you could do really, apart from watching it happen and making sure he didn’t get hurt. There was nothing you could do to stop it and Nick bit his lip as he saw his friend stiffen and his eyes drifting. Brian sagged against AJ, who caught him easily and lay him down on the floor, catching the pillow from the couch that Howie threw him in a flash of good thinking. AJ stepped back, not tearing his eyes off Brian, who was now completely tensed up, his body shaking and his eyes rolling upwards. Bonnie had stopped roaming around the room to check for things that could be in the way and now stood as still as AJ, panting slightly and watching closely. It took about thirty seconds before Brian arched his back and began to convulse violently. With every movement, Nick felt stabs of fear and worry flashing through his gut, worsened by Brian’s helpless grunts of distress. After what seemed like hours, but was only two minutes, the convulsions lessened in intensity and eventually stopped. Brian lay motionless on the floor, completely drained of all energy. Bonnie whined softly and inched closer to her owner, lying down next to him protectively. AJ shot Nick a weary glance as he too got closer to Brian.

Cautiously, Nick knelt beside his friend. He’d learnt the hard way that after a seizure, Brian usually ended up groggy and disoriented, and Nick had figured that a groggy and disoriented Brian was a pretty dangerous one. And although the last seizure had been well over four months ago, Nick still remembered Brian’s swift nails as they’d mercilessly latched themselves into his cheek. It had hurt, but the look of pure fear and anger on Brian’s face had hurt so much worse. And Nick did not want to repeat that process. That’s why he didn’t touch his friend, just patiently waited for him to open his eyes. Bonnie watched Nick intently, ready to grumble at him whenever he’d make a wrong move.

“He’s alright,” AJ mumbled after a quick inspection. “I think he bit his tongue or something though,” he said, pointing to the small trickle of blood from the corner of Brian’s mouth.

“Damn it Brian,” Nick muttered.

“Coulda been worse though,” AJ replied, turning around, “good thinking with the pillow, Howard,” he called to Howie, who was still standing in the doorway, next to a nervous looking Kevin. Howie nodded solemnly and Nick caught the sadness in his eyes.

“I’ll call Johnny,” Howie said and left the recording room.

“You got him?” AJ looked at Nick questioningly as he slowly got up. Nick nodded and watched AJ leave as well. He knew it was best to have as few people around as possible when Brian woke up. It took about ten minutes before his friend opened his eyes and when he did, he was absolutely exhausted and barely responsive.

“It’s alright,” Nick said quietly as Bonnie began to lick Brian’s hand. “You did a good job, Bonnie. Good dog.”

Bonnie stopped and stared at him for a few seconds, her head cocked to the side, and then returned to her task. Brian blinked at his dog a couple of times and then his gaze slowly drifted towards Nick.

“Hey buddy,” Nick tried to smile, “Can you hear me?”

After what seemed like too long, Brian nodded tiredly, his eyes anxiously scanning the small room. He remained unmoving, but Nick could see the tension building.

“Do you know where you are?” he asked quickly, knowing it was one of the routine questions.

Brian looked at him, his eyes still unfocused and glazed over, and shook his head weakly. Nick swallowed thickly, feeling tears stinging behind his eyes and wiped angrily at them. “It’s okay. Was just a seizure, Bri. It’s alright.”

The fear didn’t leave Brian’s eyes, “Thommy?” He slurred.

Nick sighed, closing his eyes and shaking his head slightly, “No man, it’s me. It’s Nick.”

Brian’s gaze drifted away from him, confused and dazed, “You’re alive? How?”

Clenching his jaw and trying to swallow the tears in his throat, Nick answered, “It doesn’t matter now. It’s all behind us. Can you sit up?”

Brian nodded slowly before propping himself up against the wall, leaning his head back in exhaustion. “You look like him a little,” he mumbled, his voice still slurring.

“I know,” Nick replied, carefully taking his place beside Brian. He was glad that his friend’s fear hadn’t turned into violence. That was a win in his book. He felt awkward though. Brian never talked about Thomas Fenn. He didn’t talk about that time, period. And Nick was fine with that, they didn’t have to bring back all those horrible memories. Why couldn’t everything just stay buried?

“I’m tired,” Brian muttered, slumping slightly against the wall.

Nick nodded, knowing the seizures took everything out of Brian, “When's the last time you had a decent night's sleep?” he asked, wondering if the seizure could have been triggered by exhaustion.

Brian shrugged slightly, "Been a while."

"It's okay, I'll take you home."