- Text Size +
Christmas was fast approaching; December had finally made its way into the foreground and it was all about the most wonderful time of the year. In the weeks since Adam was born, everyone was busying themselves preparing for the happiest of holidays. Christina cradled Harry in her arms, his wide eyes staring up at the glistening tree.

“Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!” Drake said descending the staircase dressed as Santa Claus.

Christina gasped “my goodness Harry look who it is!” she said “It’s Santa!”

“I heard it's someone’s first Christmas” Drake said as he sat in an armchair near the tree she handed Harry to him as Harry began to cry.

“Aww” everyone said as Christina picked him up “It’s okay sweetie” she said “Sorry daddy” Christina said to him.

“Presents for everyone!” he said reaching into a big red bag.


~*~



“Smile” Kellie's mom said snapping a picture Kellie, Kyle and Kevin all stood in front of their Christmas tree.

“Okay everyone!” Kellie’s dad announced “Now as we do every year we will all pick just one present to open, pick a good one” he said.

“Kate” Jack said approaching her with a very large gift box.

“Oh” she said surprised “Wow” she said laughing.

“Merry Christmas” he said, she took the box and set it down, pulling the lid off and finding a smaller box inside.

“Are you kidding me?” she asked, Jack smiled to himself, she opened that box to find yet another smaller box inside. “Jack” she said laughing inside the last box was a small velvet one. She picked it up and flipped it open to see a pristine diamond ring inside “Oh my god” she said.

“We first met at Christmas remember? Senior year?” he asked “The first moment I saw you I knew that you were the only one I wanted to spend all my Christmases with” he said taking the ring from her. She covered her mouth in surprise “So…Kathryn Grace Mitchell…will you marry me?”

She shook her head emphatically “Yes” she said tearfully “Yes!” she said once more as she threw her arms around him.

Everyone applauded them “To the happy couple!” Ken said raising his drink “Jack welcome to the family” he said “You too” he said to Kevin, Kellie looked at him surprised. “As the father of my grandson, you’re as just a much a part of this family as Jack is” Ken said.

“Wow…uh thank you sir” Kevin said shaking his hand.

“Okay I think you’ve had enough dear” Lynda said taking his drink away.

“I’m not drunk” Ken said “I mean every word…Merry Christmas everyone” he said.

“Hey, sorry I’m late” Kellie’s sister Kristy said entering the house, a young boy following behind her “Everyone, this is Tommy” she said smiling “We have geometry together.”

“Merry Christmas” Tommy said to them.

“Oh god not another one” Ken groaned, he then took his drink back from Lynda and took a big gulp.


~*~



Christmas music played softly inside Vicki’s house as people mingled, she and Emily sat on the couch together. Brian brought a plate of cookies over, setting them on the coffee table and sitting next to Vicki.

“Vicki, sweetheart, I want you to open this it’s from me” Jackie said handing her a present.

“Oh thank you so much, you didn’t have to do that” Vicki said.

“Oh don’t be silly of course I did” Jackie said.

Vicki tore the ribbon off the box and pulled off the lid “It’s a baby book” she said.

“That is so adorable” Emily said.

“This is so great, thank you” Vicki said hugging her.

“You’re welcome sweetie” Jackie said.

“This is perfect” she said flipping through the blank pages just waiting to be filled.

“Honey, this is from me” Lizzie said handing her a small box.

“Oh mom” Vicki said pulling off the wrapping and opening the box. “It’s a baby’s first Christmas ornament” Vicki said pulling it from the bubble wrap “Mom, this is so cute” she said looking at it.

“Is that marker?” Brian asked noticing the year had been changed.

“Okay so I altered it a bit” Lizzie said “I hope you like it” she said.

“Thanks mom” Vicki said, she and Brian looked at each other and kissed softly.


~*~



A light snow fell outside, Nick and Sasha laughed as they entered the diner.

“Well what are you two doing here? It’s Christmas Eve” Marla said.

“Sash was craving your hot chocolate” Nick said as they pulled their coats off and took a seat in a booth.

“Oh honey I know that feeling, coming right up” Marla said to them as she went back into the kitchen.

“Sure your mom doesn’t mind you taking off?” Nick asked her rubbing his hands together for warmth.

“I think my mom understands pregnancy cravings” she said.

“It was really cool of her to get me a gift” Nick said “And your dad and your brothers didn’t want to kill me for once” he said happily.

“I can be pretty persuasive” Sasha said “Plus I am very hormonal and my mom told them that if any of them made me cry there’d be hell to pay” Sasha said happily.

“Here we go, two hot chocolates” Marla said carrying a tray over to the table.

“Thank you” Nick said sliding a mug over to Sasha “What are you still doing here? Don’t you close early on Christmas eve?” he asked her.

“That was the plan but unfortunately our plans were postponed due to weather” Marla said to her.

“Aw I’m sorry” Sasha said.

“Oh don’t worry about it, can I get you anything else? Cookies? Cake? Pie? French fries covered in hot fudge?” Marla asked.

Nick looked at her disgusted “Eww” he said.

“Don’t knock it until you try it” Sasha said to him.

“Enjoy” Marla said to them.

“Thanks Marla” Sasha said to her.

“Wow, look at that” Nick said about the snow coming down outside.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” Sasha asked.

“We need some Christmas music” Nick said sliding out of the booth and going to the jukebox, he slipped a quarter inside and pressed a button.

“Have yourself a merry little Christmas…” Frank Sinatra began to croon.

Marla shut the lights off, the sky outside became a light pink, a small Christmas tree in the corner filled the diner with a illustrious glow.


~*~



Melissa held Adam up to the tree to let him look at it “Merry Christmas Adam” Melissa said kissing his cheek.

“Okay everyone dinner is served” Michelle announced, everyone filed inside the dining room, Jessica sat next to Jeremy, Zoey nestled safely in her arms.

AJ sat next to Melissa, Adam cradled snugly in his arms.

They joined hands and her dad started to speak “Dear Lord, we come to you today to thank you for this food and to thank you for letting us celebrate this holiday season with the newest additions to the family.” “My grandson Adam and My granddaughter Zoe” “Amen” they all said ending their prayer “Let’s eat” her dad said before they all dug into a glorious Christmas ham.


~*~



Vicki sat in a chair, a pen in her hand as she scribbled something onto one of the pages of the baby book.

“Whatcha doin?” Brian asked crouching down to her.

“Just finished one of your Christmas presents” she said standing up, placing her hand on her back.

“Oh yeah, what’s that?” he asked, she folded the back cover of the book and the pages backward, showing him the page she was writing on. “Full name: Bradley Jason Nickolas Littrell” he read, smiling “I love it” he said.

“Merry Christmas” she said.

“Merry Christmas” he said coming closer to her.

“Oh look at that” she said looking upward, he looked up to see a mistletoe hanging above them.


~*~



“Kellie, sweetheart, I found the book” Lynda said as she cradled Kyle in her arms, they sat snugly together on her couch, her mom handing Kevin a book.

“Oh great this is a classic” he said.

“Want to hear a story?” Kellie asked Kyle.

"Okay bedtime” Christina said taking Harry upstairs.

“Okay...Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house...” Christina started reading.

“...Not a creature was stirring not even a mouse, the stockings were hung by the chimney with care...” Kevin read.

“...In hopes that St. Nicholas would soon be there, the children were nestled all in their beds...” Christina read.

“...While visions of sugarplums danced in their heads...” Kevin read.

“...And mama in kerchief and I in my cap, had just settled down for a long winter's nap...” Christina read.

“...When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter” Kevin read.

“...Away to the window I flew like a flash, tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...” Christina read.


Kyle and Harry were both by this time fast asleep, yet he and Christina finished the story.

“...But I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight...” Christina read.

“...Merry Christmas to all and to all goodnight” they both said before putting the sleeping infants in their cribs.


~*~

1 Week Later:



The next week everyone was ready to say goodbye to 1991 as the final days of the year were winding to a close.

“And there we go” Vicki said fastening the clasp on her mom's necklace.

“Well?” Lizzie asked turning around “You look great mom” Vicki said to her.

“Thank you” she said kissing Vicki's cheek “Ooh” she said standing back “Well Happy New Year to you too” she said to Vicki's stomach.

“Ugh he's kicking up a storm in there” Vicki said sitting on her mom's bed.

“Are you sure you want to have this party tonight? You’re exhausted” Lizzie said putting a jacket on.

“Yes! Course, too late to back out now anyways” Vicki said “Not to mention I could use a bit of fun” she said said as she held her arms out, Lizzie pulled her up.

“Alright I'm going” Lizzie said as they went downstairs “You guys have fun tonight; I'll be home at one.”

“Okay mom, have fun” Vicki said helping her with her coat.

“Happy New Year sweetheart” Lizzie said to her.

“Happy New Year” Vicki said giving her a hug.

“Wow, looking good Mrs. McAdams” Emily said to her.

“Thank you, okay night girls” Lizzie said opening the door.

“Night mom” Vicki said to her as she left.

“I just called and the pizza is on its way as is everyone else” Emily said to Vicki.

“Great…now if I only knew where my boyfriend disappeared to” Vicki said.

“Jason dragged him off on some mission for fireworks or whatever…don't worry he'll be back by midnight”. “So, what's your New Year's Resolution?” Emily asked.

“Really?” Vicki asked.

“Yes, come on, what is it?” Emily asked.

“I don't know, I don't really make them, I guess it would be to be a good mom” Vicki said.

“Hey you are going to be an incredible mom, no doubt about that” Emily said to her

“What about you?” Vicki asked her.

“I’m not sure yet” Emily said.

“Can I make a suggestion?” Vicki asked “Find a new boyfriend” she said.

“Now that I can do” Emily said the doorbell rang.

“Party time” Vicki said as she and Emily went into the living room.

~*~


“Okay everyone! Heads up!” Vicki said passing out noise makers “It’s almost midnight!” she said setting a box down. The doorbell rang once again, Vicki answered it “Hey, there you are” she said to Melissa.

“I'm late I know” Melissa said taking her coat off “But Adam did not want to go to sleep tonight”.

“Hey you got here before midnight, that’s all that matters” Vicki said to her.

"I feel like I haven't been out of my house in weeks...I have to call home” she said.

“What why?” Vicki asked.

“I just want to make sure Adam's okay” she said going over to the phone.

“What is she doing?” Sasha asked.

“Checking on Adam” Vicki said to her.

“Didn’t she just leave her house?” Sasha asked, Vicki giggled.

Brian and Jason came in through the kitchen.

“There you are I was worried you weren’t going to make it” Vicki said going into the kitchen.

“Well we almost didn’t” he said looking back at Jason “But here I am” he said wrapping his arms around her “You ready to tell everyone?" he asked.

"Let's do it" she said.

“Okay he is sleeping like a baby, which is good because he is one” Melissa said sitting down next to Kellie and Christina "What's up?" she asked.

"Kel's sister is getting married" Christina said to her.

"Oh wow, when did he propose?" Melissa asked.

"Christmas eve, it was so cute, he had all these boxes stacked inside each other and had the ring inside the last box" Kellie said.

"Hey everyone!" Vicki yelled, turning the music down.

"Alright everyone, Vicki and I have some news" he said.

"You're having twins?" Jason asked.

"God no" Vicki said to him.

"Before Thanksgiving Vicki and I found out the sex of the baby...ladies and gentlemen...it's a boy" he said happily.

"Aww" everyone said as they clapped.

"Congratulations!" Kellie said hugging Vicki.

"Congratulations Vicki" Christina said.

"Thanks guys" Vicki said as they hugged her.

"I was convinced you were having the girl" Christina said.

"Congratulations" Melissa said "Here's your ten bucks" she said handing a dollar bill to Sasha.

"Thank you" Sasha said "Oh my god" Sasha said hugging Vicki "So? Name?" Sasha asked.

"Bradley" Vicki said.

"What?!" AJ asked.

"Oh here we go" Melissa groaned.

“Hey! Turn on the TV, the ball’s about to drop!” Emily yelled.

“Okay everyone! Noise makers ready?” Vicki asked they all gathered around the TV to watch the ball drop.

The countdown started.

“Ready? 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1” they all counted before shouting.

“HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!” all the lovers in the room kissed “Now if everyone will please join me in the backyard for a special presentation” Jason said to the room. A lot of people followed him outside to Vicki's backyard.

“1992” Vicki said Vicki said to Brian as they stood in an embrace.

“It’s going to be a good year” he said.

“It is” she said patting her stomach.

“Happy New Year” he said.

“Happy New Year” she said before they kissed, watching the fireworks light up the sky.