- Text Size +
February 21, 1992

Vicki slept peacefully on the couch, a blanket tossed over her, a book resting on her burgeoning belly. The front door opened, Brian looked in and saw her sound asleep, he smiled and closed the door quietly, he set his backpack down on a chair and sat on the couch arm.

He smiled and knelt down beside her, sweeping her hair away from her face. Her eyes opened “Hey” he said.

“Hey” she said surprised "What are you doing here? Is it three o'clock already?" she asked looking around.

"No, it's only lunch time, I got excused early" he said.

"Did you kill your grandmother again?" she asked.

"No" he said laughing "I said I had a family emergency."

"What family emergency?" she asked.

"Uh my girlfriend is nine months pregnant with my baby and can go into labor anytime now?" he asked.

"Hardly an emergency" she said to him "I told you, I'm fine" she said sitting up "What happened last week was just a false alarm" she said rubbing her stomach.

"Yeah but you never know, the next false alarm could be the real thing" he said to her.

“When did you become so protective?” she asked.

“Just my uh…fatherly instincts kicking in” he said.

“Well it’s very attractive I must say” she said.

“Really?” he asked.

“Mm hmm” she said as they kissed.

"So, you hungry? Can I get you some lunch?" he asked.

"I’m starving, thank you” she said as he gave her a quick kiss on the lips. She then sat up and tried to stand up from the couch "Oh wait" she said to him.

"What?" he asked "You okay?"

"Yeah I just uh…need help standing up" she said giggling, he smiled and pulled her up from the couch.

"Ooh" she said putting her hands on her back.

"Wow” he said standing back.

“I know” she said rubbing her stomach.

“I didn't realize how big you actually were" he said to her as she looked at him.

"Excuse me?" she asked.

"What? Oh…no I didn’t…come on…you know what I meant…right?” he said to her as she brushed past him and waddled herself up the stairs. “I love you!” he called after her as the bathroom door closed.

A while later she sat on the couch eating a slice of pizza, he sat cuddled up next to her.

“How can you watch this?” he asked “I have no clue what’s going on right now” he said as she laughed “Seriously how can you follow this?” he asked.

“Mm…it will take way too long to explain so just keep watching” she said . "Mmm, ooh" she said setting the plate on the coffee table.

"What? You okay?" he asked.

"Indigestion" she said wiping her fingers on a napkin
“Okay, now that’s Ned” she said pointing to the TV screen “He’s about to marry Jenny” she said to him. “And that’s Ned’s mother Tracy who’s married to Paul, she’s also pregnant with Paul’s baby but Paul is in love with Jenny.” “Paul is part of a cartel and they’re trying to take over Tracy’s family company” she said looking at him.

“Okay I think I got it, this dude is married to this other dude’s mom and he’s in love with that dude’s wife” he said.

“See? You are getting it” she said “Ow" she said in pain.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'm alright" she said as she took another deep breath.

"Want me to get you something for that?" he asked.

"No, I'm alright" she said.

"You sure?"

She took another deep breath "Yeah" she said “Ow! Oh!" she said gasping in pain.

"Alright stay here I'm going to get you something" he said standing up.

Suddenly her eyes widened in fear "Oh god" she said panicking.

"What?" he asked she said "What? What happened?" he asked frantically.

"I think my water just broke" she said.

"Oh god" he said.

“Calm down! Calm down!” she said.

“Calm down?!” he asked in disbelief.

“We need to stay calm!” she said to him “I have a bag…in my closet” she said taking deep breaths.

“Got it! I got it, I got the bag” he said running up the stairs and tripping.

She screamed in agony again, the front door then opened "Vicki? Oh my god, are you okay?" Emily asked rushing to her side.

"This is it" Vicki said to her.

"What? What do you mean?" Emily asked.

"I'm in labor" Vicki said to her.

"I'm getting the weirdest sense of Deja vu" Jason said.

“Okay I got the bag" Brian said running down the steps, come on we got to get to the hospital" he said “What are you guys doing here? Why aren’t you at school?”

“School’s over, come on! You’re having a baby here!” Emily said to him.

“You ready?” he asked as he took Vicki’s hand.

“Yeah” she said taking deep breaths, Emily took her other hand and they helped her up. "No wait, my mom, someone has to call my mom" Vicki said.

"I'll call her as soon as we get to the hospital okay?" Emily said to her as they helped her outside and into the car.

~*~


“Yeah hi, my name is Emily Anderson, I need to speak to Elizabeth McAdams immediately, it's an emergency" she said on the phone "her daughter's gone into labor, she's at the hospital" Emily said. "Yes right now!" she said irritated at the person on the other end.

“Now our next order of business...” a man said as Lizzie sat at a large round table.

“Excuse me, I'm so sorry to interrupt, Mrs. McAdams?” a woman asked motioning her to the door.

“Oh” Lizzie said getting up and leaving the room “Something wrong?” she asked shutting the door behind her.

"An Emily Anderson called she said that your daughter's gone into labor and her boyfriend took her to the hospital."

“Now?” Lizzie asked.

“Yes” she said.

“Oh my god, I... I have to go!” Lizzie said running back into the room “So sorry but I have to go” she said grabbing her purse.

“Is there an emergency?” a man asked her.

“I'm going to be a grandma!” she said happily before leaving the room.

~*~


Vicki kept up her breathing as she held Brian's hand tightly, he wiped her forehead off “You're doing great, just keep breathing okay?"

"I swear to god if you don't shut up I'm going to tear your nose off” she said to him angrily.

"I'd totally pay to see that" Emily said coming into the room with a Styrofoam cup "Here I got you some ice chips" she said handing her the cup.

"Oh thanks Em" she said taking the cup "You call my mom?" she asked.

"Yes she was in a meeting but she's on her way as we speak" Emily said to her.

"Thank you so much" Vicki said to her.

"Course, how are you feeling?" Emily asked.

"Oh god this is the worst pain I've ever felt in my life" Vicki said panting "Em, do me a favor don't get pregnant" Vicki said to Emily.

"You don't have to worry about that" Emily said to her.

"I'm so scared, this really hurts" she whimpered.

"Yeah I know, I know but you can do it" he said kissing her forehead.

"Oh here comes another one" Vicki said, he grabbed her hand and she squeezed it tightly. She took a few deep breaths and lied back on the bed "Okay, it's over" she said.

He grabbed a towel and dabbed her forehead with it "Em, you mind staying with her while I go call my parents?" he asked her.

"No course not" Emily said to him.

“Wait, don’t leave” Vicki said to him.

“I’ll be right back okay?” he said to her.

“I love you” she said.

“I love you too” he said before leaving the room.


~*~



"It takes this long to have a baby?" Jason asked coming into the waiting room "Where's Em?" he asked.

"In the room with Vicki" Brian said as Jason began to walk forward, he pulled him back "You're not going anywhere near that room" Brian said to him.

Lizzie ran into the emergency entrance "There you are" she said to him.

"Mrs. McAdams" Brian said to her.

"Where is she? Is she okay?" Lizzie asked.

"She's doing great, come on I'll take you to her" he said to her "You stay here" he said to Jason.

“Sweetheart” Lizzie said running to her side.

“Mom” Vicki said seeing her.

"J's looking for you and whatever you do, keep him out of this room" Brian said to Emily.

"Got it" Emily said to him as she left the room.

“Are you okay? How do you feel?” Lizzie asked.

“God this hurts!” Vicki cried.

“Oh I know honey but don’t worry it’ll be all worth it in the end” Lizzie said kissing her forehead.

“Well hello again” the doctor said coming into the room and washing his hands.

"Oh hello Dr. Mosby" Lizzie said to him.

"Lizzie, well Vicki, how are we feeling?" he asked her.

"How do you think?!" Vicki asked "Sorry" she said to him.

"No problem" he said laughing “Let’s see where we are here” he said sitting at the foot of the bed, he lifted the bed sheets and threw them over Vicki's knees “Won't be much longer now” he said standing up.

"What does that mean?" Vicki asked.

"Couple more hours tops, you're dilated about seven centimeters" he said to her. “We can give you something for the pain if you would like” he said washing his hands.

“Please” Vicki said.

“I'll send in the nurse, she'll get you set up and I'll be back in a little while to check on you” he said leaving the room.

"Thank you doctor" Lizzie said to him "I'll be right back okay? I'm going to call your father and your grandparents to let them know what's going on" Lizzie said to Vicki.

"Okay" Vicki said to her.

Once again Brian took a seat next to the bed and held her hand tightly and kissing it.

She looked over at him and smiled "Sorry for yelling at you before."

He smiled at her "It's fine" he said holding her hand.

"This is finally happening" she said to him.

"I know" he said "You ready?" he asked.

"I'm so scared" she said as he stood up and stood next to her.

“Don’t be scared alright? I’m right here, everything’s going to be just fine, we're going to get through this together, we're going to be a family, you, me, and little Bradley J.” she looked up at him and smiled.

"I love you" she said to him.

"I love you too" he said kissing her forehead.

"Someone requested some pain medicine?” the nurse asked wheeling a cart into the room.

“Right here” Vicki said raising her hand.


~*~



"Why doesn't this kid come out already?" Jason asked as he and Emily sat in the waiting room.

She flipped through a magazine "Yeah it is boring just sitting here “Come on J” she said standing up.

“Come on what?” he asked.

“We're going to the gift shop” she said.

“I don't have that much money” Jason said to her.

"Our best friends are in there having a baby."

"So?" Jason asked before she pulled him up from the chair.

~*~


“How do you feel now?” the nurse asked Vicki.

“A little better” she said.

“Good, the doctor will be back soon” the nurse said wheeling her cart from the room.

“Okay, thank you” Vicki said to her.

“Honey, why don’t you try and rest that way you don’t tire yourself out” Lizzie said to her. "I can't believe this is happening" Lizzie said holding her hand "My little girl is going to be a mommy" she said squeezing Vicki's hand.

"Yeah" Vicki said taking deeper breaths.

"I promise once you have that baby in your arms you'll forget all about the pain."

"I hope you're right" Vicki said to her.

"I always am aren't I?" Lizzie asked smoothing her hair back.

"Mom if I haven't told you, I'm really sorry about all of this."

"You don't need to be sorry for anything, this is probably the greatest thing you'll ever do, I love you so much" Lizzie said to her.

"I love you too mom" Vicki said.

"And you" she said to Brian.

"Knew this was coming" he said standing up.

"Mom" Vicki said.

"I know you'll take good care of Vicki and my grandson" Lizzie said to him.

"That's it?" he asked confused.

"After this happened I wanted to hate you but...there's just something about you that makes it impossible not to love you" Lizzie said to him.

"Tell me about it" Vicki said to her.

"Come here" Lizzie said opening her arms and hugging him.

"But this ever happens again, I will kill you" she said to him.

"Totally understand, thanks" he said to her.

"You're going to make great parents, both of you, and this little boy is going to have so much love around him" Lizzie said.

"Yes he will" he said.

Vicki groaned "I think this is it" she said sitting up Lizzie rushed from the room.

"You ready?" he asked.

"I think so" Vicki said to him.

"I'm right by your side, don't be scared okay?” he said comforting her.

"I'll try" she said to him.

“Alright let’s have a baby” the doctor said as he and a nurse came into the room, he snapped on a pair of rubber gloves and sat down at the foot of the bed. “Alright Vicki, on this next contraction you're going to push as hard as you can” he sat parked right next to her bed, holding her hand tightly in his.

“Okay one, two, three and push, come on” the doctor coached as Vicki began to push, she screeched “Okay come on keep pushing keep pushing” Vicki screamed as she pushed harder.

“You can do it” he said to her "Come on you can do this" he said as she gritted her teeth and screamed.

“Almost there” the doctor said to her “One more”

"No, no I can't...I can't" Vicki cried.

"Come on you can do this I know you can" he said to her.

"No" she said trying to catch her breath "It hurts too bad I can't do it" she cried.

"Vicki, honey come on I know you can do this" Lizzie said holding her other hand tightly.

"You can do it okay? come on just one more, for little Bradley J. come on you can do it" he said as she sat back up she screamed as she pushed before falling back on to the pillow out of breath as she heard a wailing noise.

"Okay ladies and gentlemen, here he is" the doctor said holding him up.

"I can't believe it" he said in awe.

“Is…is he alright? Is he okay?” Vicki asked.

“He’s perfect” he said to her.

"So, dad, you want to cut the cord?" the doctor asked him, he stepped forward taking the surgical scissors and cutting the umbilical cord. Tears filled his eyes as he looked at the baby in awe the doctor then handed him to the nurse.

She set him down and they cleaned him off, his little arms and legs flailing about.

He beamed at her "You don't know how much I love you right now" he said pushing her hair away from her face.

"I love you too, so much" she said smiling at him as they kissed "Can I have my baby please?" she asked stretching her arms out.

"Of course you can" the nurse said carefully handing him over and placing him gently in Vicki's arms.

“Oh my god” Vicki said as she looked down at him “Hi, hi sweetheart" she said to the baby.

"Hey buddy" he said as they looked down at him.

“Oh I'm so proud of you” Lizzie said kissing her forehead "Hello little boy, we've all been waiting for you" Lizzie cooed.

They smiled at each other as he wiggled in Vicki's arms before pressing their foreheads to each other.

~*~


They sat together on the bed, looking down at him.

“I cannot believe that we made this incredible little person” he said to her.

“I know, it’s amazing that we could create something so precious” she said as they looked at him. "I never knew you could love something this much" she said to him "It feels incredible" she said, his little eyes peeked open and looked up at her "Hi" she said "I'm your mommy" she said as his little arms stretched upwards, his little hands balling into fists.

"And I'm your daddy" he said as his little fingers stretched out "He seems happy about that" he said as they laughed.

"Oh, we love you so so much" Vicki said holding his little hand and kissing it.

The door opened and her mom peeked in “Feel up for some visitors?”

“Course” she said smiling, she opened the door letting his parents in.

“My goodness” Jackie said tearfully as she approached the bed.

“Mom, dad, meet your grandson” Brian said.

“Oh” Jackie said.

“Want to hold him?” Vicki asked.

“Oh please” Jackie said holding her arms out, Vicki carefully passed him over “Oh, would you look at him” she said.

“Hello dear, how are you feeling?” Harold asked.

“I’m exhausted” Vicki said smiling.

“But it was all worth it, wasn’t it?” Jackie asked softly bouncing the baby in her arms.

“Most definitely” Vicki said.

“Isn’t our grandson precious?” Jackie asked Lizzie.

“Yes he is” Lizzie said.

“He looks just like his daddy, yes you do” Jackie said.

The door opened once more and Emily stepped in "Okay J, bring it on in here" Emily said holding the door open for him, several strings of balloons and stuffed animals engulfed him as he struggled to come into the room.

"Where am I going here?" he asked.

"What'd you buy the entire gift shop?" Brian asked unloading Jason.

"Pretty much" Jason said "Em" Jason said to her as the balloons floated to the ceiling "Well well look at this" he said "this him?" Jason asked.

“No they just gave us a random baby to practice with” Brian said to Jason.

“Yes Jason, this is him” Jackie said to Jason.

"He is so perfect" Emily gushed.

"Looks just like his old man" Jason said slapping Brian on the back.

"He does doesn't he?" Vicki asked.

"Are you kidding? They're identical" Emily said to her.

“I told you” Jackie said.

"Oh Vicki, he is just so precious" Emily said to her.

"You guys do good work together" Jason said.

"Thanks J" Vicki said to him.

"So how do you feel?" Emily asked.

"I'm exhausted" Vicki said to her "But I'm so incredibly happy you wouldn't believe it" she said to Emily.

"You guys name him yet?" Jason asked.

"Not officially" Vicki said to him.

"Well it's time we fixed that" Brian said “Mom, can I have my son please?” he asked as Jackie passed him over.
He took a seat next to Vicki on the bed "Everybody, we want to formally introduce Bradley Jason Nickolas Littrell" he said smiling down at him as he held him snugly in his arms "Or as I like to call him Bradley J." he said.

"I like it" Emily said "Well Bradley J. welcome to the world" Emily said to him.

The night grew on, Vicki gave into exhaustion and was sleeping peacefully, Bradley in his little bassinet next to her bed. The door to her room opened and Brian came in, he saw her sound asleep and laid his eyes on the bassinette. "Hey buddy" he said looking down at Bradley, he reached in and carefully pulled him out, cradling him in his arms. He took the chair next to Vicki's bed, sat down and began to rock "I still can't believe this, I have a son" he said looking down at Bradley's small face. Bradley's little eyes peered open and he looked up at him "Hey" he said softly, he pulled the blue blanket away from his face. Bradley reached his little hand out and grabbed his finger, holding on tightly, he brought his little hand up and kissed it "That's my boy" he said smiling down at Bradley, slowly rocking him back and forth.

~*~


Vicki leaned over the bassinette, swaddling Bradley into a blanket.

"Alright buddy, time to go home” Brian said coming into the room.

"Just about" Vicki said picking him up.

“My mom was right, he does look a lot like me huh?” he asked her.

“Yes he does” Vicki said picking him up and holding him in her arms.

“Trust me kid those good looks will come in handy later in life” he said.

He set a carrier on the bed "There you go sweetheart" she said setting him inside and buckling him up.

"Now we just got to take him home...and raise him" he said.

"Shouldn't be too hard right?" she asked putting her coat on and grabbing a bag, slinging it over her shoulder.

"Let's roll" he said.

The car pulled into the driveway of Vicki's house "You got him?" Vicki asked as Brian pulled the carrier from the backseat.

"Yep" he said shutting the car door.

"So…you ready for this?" she asked as they stepped on to the front porch.

"Ready for what exactly?" he asked.

"The next eighteen years" she said.

"I am if you are" he said.

"Let's do it" she said as they went into her house.