- Text Size +
May 1993

Lizzie held Bradley in her arms, twirling him around the living room, his little giggles filling the room "You love your grandma don't you?" Lizzie asked snuggling him close "Vicki!" she yelled “Bradley honey I think your mommy’s going to be late for her own graduation” Lizzie said, Bradley balanced on her arm.

Vicki came down the steps in her cap and gown "Well?" she asked "How do I look?" she asked.

Lizzie looked at her tearfully "My goodness, I cannot believe this day is finally here" she said “Oh let me get a picture, here you go, go to mommy” she said handing Bradley over to Vicki, she kissed his forehead. Bradley played with the fringe of the tassel hanging from Vicki's cap "Smile."

"Look at grandma" Vicki said to him as she smiled "Do you know what today is?" Vicki asked Bradley, he looked at her with wide blue eyes, still playing with the strings on her tassel. "Mommy and daddy are graduating today" she said kissing his forehead.

"There are so many things wrong with that sentence" Lizzie said.

The door opened "Hey" Brian said coming in, his cap in his hand, his gown flowing around him "Hey buddy" he said "Come here" he said taking Bradley from Vicki.

"Hey, are you ready?" Emily asked as she and Jason popped in through the front door.

"We got to get over to school" Brian said to Vicki.

“Not before I get a group shot, group picture, come on everyone!" Lizzie said as they stood together.

"There you go" Brian said putting his graduating cap on Bradley's head.

They smiled and the camera flashed.

"Okay, we got to go, be good for grandma okay?" she asked kissing Bradley's cheek.

"See ya later buddy" Brian said kissing his other cheek and handing him off to Lizzie.

They filed out of the front door and hopped into his car, they then sped off towards the school.

~*~


Students filled up the gym as they waited for their cue.

Christina paced back and forth flipping her notecards in her hands and going over her speech in her head.

“Hey” Howie said approaching her “You okay?” he asked.

“I’m so nervous about this speech” she said.

“Hey, don’t worry about it alright? You’re going to do great” he said kissing her head.

She looked at him nervously “I hope you’re right” she said shaking.

“Chrissie” Louise said approaching her, toting Harry in her arms.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Christina asked.

“Someone wanted to wish you luck on your speech” Louise said looking at Harry.

“Aw thank you, hi sweetie” Christina said taking Harry from her.

“Hey big guy” Howie said to Harry.

“Oh and I brought your camera” she said handing a Polaroid camera to Christina.

“Oh thank you” Christina said taking it from her.

“Okay Harry lets go, we’ll see you out there” Louise said to Christina as she walked off with Harry.



“Man can you believe this day is finally here?” Nick asked looking around.

“I know, it’s so surreal” Sasha said.

“It’s strange to think that one day…Neilson will get to do this” he said, Sasha’s face then crumpled up and she began to whimper “What?” he asked “What’s wrong? What’d I do?” he asked frantically.

“Nothing I just…now that you mention it…oh my god he’s going to graduate from high school!” she said crying.

“Well yeah…hopefully” he said “Come on Sash” he said laughing “We’re talking about something that is so…way off in the future” he said.

“Oh come on, it’ll be here before we know, oh my god, we’re losing our baby!” she said bawling.

“Why do I say things?” he asked, he pulled her close and held her tightly.

Christina made her way through the crowd "Kel, Miss" she said motioning towards her "Vicki!" she called across the gym. Vicki made her way towards them "Hey Sash...aw what's wrong?" Christina asked.

"Nothing she's just...a little emotional that's all" Nick said to her.

"Are you that sad to be graduating?" Melissa asked.

"No, I'm okay, I promise" Sasha said blowing her nose "What's up?" she asked.

"1 more group shot before the ceremony...you going to be able to do this?" Christina asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine" Sasha said.

"Okay"Christina said "Here hold this" she said handing the camera off to Howie "Come on come on!" she said squeezing themselves into a group.

"Okay ready?" Howie asked "Smile" he said as the flash went off and the picture slid out of the bottom.

"Okay everyone! let's line up!" someone yelled as everyone filed into a straight line.


~*~



They filed out from the gym into the football stands "You see mommy?" Lizzie asked Bradley "There she is!" Lizzie said "Wave to mommy!" she said as they waved.

"Oh Lizzie!" someone said to her, she turned to see Craig and Kathleen making their way towards the empty seats next to her "Did we miss Sasha?" Kathleen asked.

"No, you're just in time" Lizzie said to her.

"Oh good, Craig refused to park in the lot" Kathleen said irritated "Well hello Bradley J." Kathleen cooed seeing him sitting on Lizzie's lap "Oh you have gotten so big since the last time I saw you" she said.

"He has" Lizzie said to her.

"Hey mom" CJ said making his way into the row, with Neilson in his arms "You want to take him?" CJ asked passing Neilson over.

"Oh" Kathleen said taking him and sitting in him in her lap "Bradley, do you remember Neilson?" Kathleen asked, they began to giggle and babble at each other.

“I think he does” Lizzie said as they laughed together.

"Oh, Sasha's coming get the camera" Kathleen said to Craig "Look sweetie there's mommy" she said to Neilson as Sasha crossed the stage to take a seat on the bleachers.

A few rows over was Kellie's family, her sister Kate balanced Kyle on her lap.

"You okay with him Katie?" her mom asked.

"Yes mom he's fine, he loves his aunt Kate, don't you?" she asked Kyle.

"He loves his aunt Kristy more" Kellie's younger sister Kristy said.

"Ladies, please?" Jack said to them "Your sister's graduating?" he asked.

"There she is, look Kyle, wave to mommy" Kate said to him.

"Welcome everyone" the principal said approaching everyone "This day is finally here, this day we have look forward to since the birth of these children behind me" he said. "To begin our ceremony I'd like to take the time to introduce our student council president and class valedictorian, Christina Johnson".

"Get the camera ready" Louise said to Drake as Harry sat on her lap "Look Harry, watch mommy" she said to him.

"Thank you Mr. Hammond" Christina said walking up the podium "Good afternoon everyone, family, friends, faculty and staff" she said. "Like most of you I thought this day would never come, especially in the last few years, my close friends and I have been through a life changing event and we really thought today was just a fantasy but now, as I stand here in front of you all, it's a dream come true".

"As of today I am not just a daughter, a sister and a friend...I'm also a mother" she said as Louise looked down at Harry, chewing on a toy. "And next to the day my son was born, this is one of the greatest days of my life" Kellie wiped a tear away from her face. "And in seventeen years I hope to be sitting where you are watching my son get his diploma, maybe even give the valedictorian speech himself, that is my hope for the future and that's all we can give right now, hope, for our future generations, thank you" she said as everyone loudly applauded.

"Thank you Miss Johnson" Principal Hammond said "And now I would like to start the most important part of our ceremony, the distribution of the diplomas" he said.

"Emily Renee Anderson" the principal said as Emily walked up and took her diploma, shaking hands with the principal. “Nickloas Gene Carter” principal Hammond again announced “Look there’s your daddy” Kathleen said to Neilson, raising his little arm up to wave. “Howard Dwaine Dorough” the principal announced, he crossed the stage and took his diploma, he stopped to give Christina a kiss.

"Jason Robert Errison" the principal announced, Jason came forward taking the diploma from him. "Christina Magdalena Johnson" Christina got up from her seat behind the principal and accepted her diploma. "Melissa Maria Jordan" he called out as Melissa came up, taking the diploma from the principal's hands. Michelle clapped Adam's little hands together as he sat on her lap, Zoey perched on Jessie's lap right next to him.

“Brian Thomas Littrell” principal Hammond announced “Look Bradley there’s daddy!” Lizzie said to him "Victoria Cecilia McAdams" she kissed him as she approached the principal. “Alexander James McLean” he announced, he then crossed the stage taking his diploma. "Sasha Kathleen Miller" Sasha stepped forward, accepting her diploma as well "Kellie Christine Mitchell" Bronson whistled as Kellie stepped forward accepting her diploma “Kevin Scott Richardson” he announced.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, the Bridgewater High School Senior Class of nineteen-hundred and ninety -three” Principal Hammond announced as their caps flew up into the air.


~*~



"Oh I'm so proud of you honey" Lizzie said hugging Vicki after the ceremony was over.

"Thanks mom, how was he?” Vicki asked as Lizzie passed Bradley to her.

“Just perfect as always” Lizzie said to her.

"Those seventeen years better go very slow" Vicki said to him, Lizzie laughed "I'm not ready to see you do this yet".

"Trust me, it'll be here before you know it" Lizzie said to her.

"Hey, there's my two favorite people" Brian said "Hey buddy" he said taking him from Vicki Bradley played with the tassel on his graduation cap.


~*~



"Congratulations sweetheart" Kathleen said hugging Sasha.

"Thanks mom" Sasha said to her.

"There she is" Craig said approaching them.

“I’m so proud of you cupcake” he said kissing her head.

“Thanks daddy” Sasha said to him.

“And this little guy” he said looking at Neilson “Is very proud of you as well” he said.

“Aww well I’m glad to hear that” Sasha said taking him from her dad and kissing his cheek.

~*~


"Congratulations little sister" Kate said hugging Kellie.

"Thank you, thanks for coming Jack" Kellie said to them.

"Course" he said holding Kyle in his arms.

"Can I have baby back now?" she asked.

"Oh sure" Jack said laughing.

"How was he?" Kellie asked.

"Perfect as always" Kellie said to her.

"Didn't make a peep, you're not going to have any trouble with this one" Jack said to her.

"Is that so? Can you keep that up until your teen years?" she asked.

"Okay, I want a picture, get together everyone" her mom
said as she held Kyle, grouping together with her brother, sisters and Jack "Say cheese."

"Cheese!" they all said as they smiled.

~*~


"Honey your speech was perfect" Louise said to Christina.

"Really? I think I should've made it longer" Christina said.

"No, it was perfect" Louise said to her.

"Congratulations princess" Drake said hugging her.

"Thank you daddy" Christina said as they hugged.

"We are so proud of you, you've jumped some pretty big hurdles" he said letting go of her.

"Chrissy!" someone called from across the gym.

"Congratulations!" her sisters said to her.

"Thank you guys so much for coming" Christina said as they hugged.

"Our baby sister's graduation where else would we be?" Leigha said to her.

"Will wanted to be here but he's still at his parents'" Tracie said to her.

"Yeah and Jake couldn't get the day off, they send their love" Leigha said.

"Well I appreciate it, speaking of loves" Christina said turning to her mom."Give me my beautiful boy" she said taking Harry from her mom and covering his face in kisses, he giggled.

"Oh let me get a picture of this" Louise said, Christina kept Harry's head pressed up against her cheek as her mom took a picture.

~*~


"Here you are, we've been looking all over" Michelle said to Melissa, her brother Nathan and her dad following behind her, Adam cradled in Michelle's arms.

“We are so proud of you princess” Jack said hugging her.

“Thank you daddy” Melissa said "Did he fall asleep?" she asked seeing Adam fast asleep.

"Yeah he did" Michelle said.

"Come here baby" Melissa said taking him from her mom, his little head slumping onto her shoulder.

"Zoey did too so Jess and Jeremy took her home" Jack said to her.

"Aww, I don't blame them actually" Melissa said to them.

"Congratulations Missy, we are so proud of you" Michelle said to her.

"Thanks mom" Melissa said as they hugged.

"And even though he's conked out I'm sure Adam is too" Michelle said.

"Oh I know he is" Melissa said to her "Let's get him home" she said to her parents.

~*~


Later that night, Christina rocked Harry to sleep "You know one day when you're older I hope you know that I wrote that speech for you" she said as he looked up at her "You made all of this possible Harry, I don't think I've could've gotten through it all without you" she said kissing his head "I love you so much". "and I hope one day at your graduation you know just how much" she said as his little eyes began to close. "But that won't be for a very long, long LONG time from now" she whispered as she lied him in his crib.