- Text Size +
“Are you sure you’re ok?”

Addie was concerned because, even though a smile was plastered on her face, Emma was upset about something. They were so close that she could almost read Emma’s mind and she knew she wasn’t telling her the whole truth.

“I’m fine Ad, really. I just got kind of overwhelmed being back here and seeing AJ again.”

“So you didn’t see the other guys?”

“No.” Emma responded quickly. “I don’t know where they were.”

“Are you sure?”

“What’s with the third degree?” Emma asked, trying to get Addie off the topic. “I would tell you if something was wrong; I’m telling you I’m fine, just overwhelmed.”

Addie wanted to push it further but decided, after studying Emma’s face for a few moments, that she would drop it. She didn’t want to make it harder for her friend so she decided to change the subject to something they could both understand.

“How’s work?”

“It’s ok.”

Part of the reason for Emma moving to North Carolina was the fact that she had been offered a job at a prestigious private school. She was going to implement a new English program for them and help design the new curriculum.

“That doesn’t sound good.” Addie said. “I thought you liked it.”

“I use to love it.” Emma sighed and pulled her legs underneath her in the chair. “I just don’t like it much now.”

“How come?”

“The headmistress that hired me retired over the summer and we got a new one this fall. She doesn’t like me very much.”

“Who couldn’t like you?” Addie asked, incensed that someone wouldn’t completely love her friend. “Everyone likes you.”

“She doesn’t.” Emma said.

It was a good thing that thought bubbles didn’t appear above her head to show what she was thinking. Nick hates her with a passion, the guys don’t care for her and act like she’s a leper; it wasn’t too far of a stretch to find someone who didn’t like her.

“Why?”

“She’s not a fan of working with women in leadership roles.”

“Oh, she’s one of those.” Addie replied. “I can’t stand women that don’t want to help out other women, we’re supposed to stick together and help each other.”

“Well, she clearly does not share that sentiment.” Emma commented. “If it were up to her, I’d be out of a job. I’m lucky she hasn’t found a way to get rid of me before now.”

“What a bitch.”

“I have some other names for her.”

“I bet you do.” Addie said with a chuckle. “On to a different subject. How’s Michael?”

“He’s good.” Emma answered with a smile. “He’s away at a math conference.”

“Oh now that sounds like a fun time!” Addie teased. “I’m sure number sense and functions are all the rage now.”

Emma burst out laughing and it felt good to let go of all the tension for a little while. She hadn’t been able to laugh like this for a while because of work, this trip and dealing with her feelings towards Nick.

“It is and you’re stuck in here, missing out on all the fun.”

“I’ll pass.”

Addie stretched back in the bed and yawned. Emma knew how tiring this was for her and how she just wanted to have her baby and get back to her life.

“Get some rest. I’ll be back in a little while.”

“I’m fine.” Addie insisted and then yawned again. “You can stay.”

“You need your rest. Once this baby comes, you’re going to be up all night; sleep now while you can.”

Emma squeezed her friend’s hand and watched as she closed her eyes. Making her way out of the room, she realized that she had no place to go. There was no way she could be welcome in the waiting room and she had no way to get back and forth to the hotel quickly in case Addie needed her. She decided to head out on to the courtyard and wait there for a little while.

She had just gotten to the doorway when she bumped into the person coming out. Looking up, she came face to face with a startled Nick. The look on his face changed from surprise to hatred in a matter of moments and he shoved past her again to head to the elevators. She watched his retreating figure and then changed her mind and headed for the closest phone to call for a taxi; staying here was not going to be a good thing.

--------------

Nick stomped into the waiting room and flopped down on the nearest chair. The guys’ heads swiveled toward him and they could tell just by the look on his face that he had seen Emma again and it didn’t go any better than the first time had. They waited for a few minutes to see if he would say anything but he just continued to pout.

“What’d you do this time?” AJ finally asked.

“Shut the fuck up.” Nick said and stormed over to AJ, who stood up and held his ground. “You’re being a prick, sticking up for her and chewing me out for not being nice to the woman who broke my heart into five million pieces.”

“I know she did Nick, but you’re being a jerk right now. She wasn’t like this to one when you hurt her.”

“Oh, so now you’re taking her side?” Nick fumed.

“Did it ever occur to you how hard it would be on…”

“I don’t care about her feelings!” Nick shouted and slammed his hand against the wall.

“Shut up Nick.” Kevin finally echoed, standing up to face his younger brother. “AJ’s trying to ask you if you stopped to think for a minute how Howie’s going to feel when Emma tells Addie how everyone’s been treating her. Do you know what drama that’ll cause? Do you care about your brother or just yourself?”

Nick started to say something but stopped; he had been so consumed by his own feelings and anger towards Emma to stop and think about the consequences. None of the guys said anything and finally Nick sat down.

“Sorry Howie, I didn’t think of that. Addie’s probably going to kick me out huh?”

“No.” Howie said and moved over to his brother. “Emma already saw Addie and she lied; lied to protect us and to protect you.”

Nick’s mouth dropped; he had practically slammed Emma into the door downstairs and she had just tried to stop him and the guys from causing Howie any problems. He still couldn’t stand her and didn’t want to be anywhere in his vicinity, but he had to give a silent thank you for not allowing his bad behavior affect Howie’s relationship.

“Maybe you’ll think before you act now.” AJ told him and stormed out of the room to find Emma.