- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter for you all! Things are getting intense now. Hope you enjoy!
AJ felt himself nod off once or twice during the night but the sun woke him up and he stretched, his back aching from being against the cold cave wall. He looked back at the others and smiled, they had all made it this far. Hopefully they would find some help soon. Nick was still in Brian's lap, Howie leaning on Kevin and Brian on the other side. If AJ had a camera he'd have taken a picture, it was definitely a Kodak moment...minus their injuries.

"Is it morning?" Kevin asked, yawning himself. He looked around, hoping that everything had been a dream, but it was real. He felt disappointed and angry that they were still in the cave and his leg throbbed when he sat up.

"I think so. The sun came up not long ago...You think we should wake the others?" AJ asked. He was hungry....starving actually. He licked his lips to moisten them but his mouth was dry.

"We need to find help. Howie obviously had a concussion and I am positive Nick isn't much better. We can't stay here." Kevin replied. He wondered if anyone had noticed they never made it to the next venue, or if anyone was looking for them at all. He thought of Kristin, if she had tried calling. They had no way to contact anyone. Nobody knew they were out here.Their situation seemed pretty damn hopeless at that point, not having any idea where they were or what direction to go in. All Kevin knew was that it wasn't over yet.

A few hours later the others started to stir, first Brian and Howie but Nick remained out cold. He was pale and the blood worried Brian especially because most of it was collected at the corner of his face, above his ear. More blood was on the side of his mouth.

"I'm hungry." AJ said, rubbing his stomach. He and Brian had gone out before to see if there was anything edible nearby, but came back empty handed. Judging by the angle of the sun it was almost noon.

"I know....we all are. Maybe we should all go search for something to eat." Brian said as he heard his own stomach growl.

“Kevin, didn't you live in the woods or some shit?”

“AJ, it was a log cabin and I am not in any condition to be wandering the woods with you.” he snapped. AJ made a face and went silent.

“Sorry for snapping.” Kevin offered.

"What are we going to do about Nick? He isn't exactly light....one of us will have to carry him." Brian pointed out. This sparked another argument among them. Kevin tried to shush them but Nick's sudden coughing startled everyone.

"Nick! Nick, you okay?" Brian asked, putting a hand on his back. Nick shook his head, his stomach felt like he'd swallowed acid and he coughed up droplets of blood whenever a fit came on. Brian felt his forehead, he was burning up. Things were becoming a bit more urgent. After seeing Nick's condition everyone decided to leave the safety of the cave and hike through the woods, almost carrying Kevin along while Nick limped behind them. He was slow but the others tried not to rush him. Nick felt horrible. He wished he had just stayed asleep.

“Does anyone know where the fuck we are?” AJ said. Nick rolled his eyes and that's when he thought he saw someone watching from the thicker group of trees. He tried to rush to catch up even though his leg wanted to give out.



Russell watched them leave the cave, chuckling from the hilltop. He knew they would make themselves known and they did. His stomach was growling and he was dizzy from dehydration but it would all be worth it. He followed them for about a mile, keeping out of sight. Nick almost fell but was helped up and consoled, Russell felt jealous. His own brother never took care of him like that, never cared for his life. Jason put him away, like an animal...all he'd done was robbed a bank so he could buy his sister some concert tickets. He would do anything for his baby sister. He thought of Chloe again and closed his eyes to try and keep calm.

"Bastard. He will be next." Russell said to himself, dodging between the trees.


"You know, I am never complaining about being in a tour bus again. I hate this hiking shit. We really took that shit for granted, huh?" AJ said, panting as they walked. Nick started to cough again before anyone could answer and they stopped.

"Again? Come on, Nick...it can't be that bad.”

AJ felt three pairs of eyes glare at him.

"Don't be an asshole, AJ." Brian hissed. AJ rolled his eyes, mouthing something and mocking him. He was tired and hungry, they were all getting cranky again.


“What? He's probably faking it.”

“You're being a jerk. Stop it.”

"Cut it out, you two. Maybe we should all stop. This argument isn't getting us anywhere." Kevin suggested, ignoring them and looking the youngest over. Nick wiped his mouth, the blood was gone for now but his chest hurt. He didn't want them to worry.

"No, I'm fine. I don't want to slow us down." he said. Nick still felt guilty for getting them hurt in the first place, for telling them to drop dead. As he looked up he saw something once again moving in the trees and gasped, causing Howie to jump.

"What is it?"

Nick looked again, whatever it was had run off by now. He knew it had to be Sawyer. They weren't safe.

"Nothing." Nick brushed it off but the more they walked....the worse he seemed to feel.

"You aren't slowing us down, Nick. You're clearly not okay. What is wrong? Do you need rest?" Brian said. Nick was looking flushed again and so was Howie.

"I already said I was fine. Just because I am hurt all of a sudden you guys care about....about me?" the youngest said, coughing once more. All of them except for AJ looked away, knowing Nick was right. They'd been ignoring him and worrying about AJ's problems when they didn't see someone else crying out for help too.

“We never stopped caring about you. You pushed us away.”

“No, YOU pushed me away Brian. You told me you didn't need me dragging you down anymore, or did you forget that?! You chose her over our friendship!”


“That's not-”

“Fuck you, Brian. I don't want to hear it.”

“Nick….”

Nick's shouting made everyone flinch. Nobody argued back. Nick opened his mouth to speak again but his eyes were wide with fear as a figure appeared out of the trees.

"I'm so sorry, Nick....I..." Brian began, but a gunshot silenced his words.

All of them ducked but Nick. A smiling face stood there in the distance watching them, almost laughing. It was Russell, dried blood on his face and a grotesque smile. He aimed and fired at them again, mostly aiming for Nick…stepping closer.

"Run!!!" Nick screamed, as another shot nearly missed Howie by an inch. It hit a tree and Nick realized this was not a dream. This was real....they were being hunted.