- Text Size +
Light spilled in from outside into the dank and dusty storefront, feet crossed past a check out counter and walked into a room in the back. A door opened, a puddle of blood had settled on the floor, and elderly man laying spread out, face down on the tile. Camera flashes went off as police personnel filed in and out of the room, yellow tape stretched across the doorway. A man ducked under the tape, his silver hair reflecting in the light, a pair of glasses sat on his nose.

"Name?" an officer asked.

"Captain Dean Stone, LAPD" he said introducing himself.

"Hello Captain, thanks for coming" the officer said shaking Dean's hand.

"What happened?" Dean asked.

"White male, early 90's, single gunshot wound to the head."

"What was he doing here?" Dean asked leaning down towards the man on the floor.

"They said he owned the place."

"Name?" Dean asked.

"Melvin Mooney" the officer said to him.

The door to the shop opened, feet glided across the checkered floor disturbing the dust. They leaned against the counter.

"Wow" Bradley said looking around.

*Flashback*

Bradley sat at the sales desk, a magazine in his lap, blowing bubbles with his gum.

Neilson came down the spiral staircase "What is so hard about putting something back where it belongs?" he asked irritated "Took me like an hour to put all the records in the right place" he said to Bradley.

"I don't think it's customers I think Adam does that just to be a dick" Bradley said to him.

"He would" Neilson said.

"Excuse me?" a man asked coming up to the sales desk.

"Can I help you?" Bradley asked.

"Yeah, I'm trying to find Styx" he said to him.

"Oh well uh let's see...P...Q...R...S" he said to the guy irritated, the guy shot him a look and walked away.


"Can't believe I'd ever step foot in this place again" a voice said knocking Bradley back to the present, he looked to see Neilson standing in the doorway.

"It's the same" Bradley said looking around "I can still open the cash register" Bradley said to him.

"Detectives" Dean said ushering them forward.

"Officer, detectives Littrell and Carter they're part of my team" Dean said.

"Got an ID?" Bradley asked.

"Former owner, a Melvin Mooney."

Bradley and Neilson looked at each other in disbelief "What?" Bradley asked as Neilson knelt to pull the sheet away from his lifeless body.

"You know this guy?" the officer said.

"We worked for him" Bradley said "This place used to be a record store, we worked here in high school".

"What happened?" Neilson asked.

"Shot execution style" Dean said to him "I'm going to get the CSU in here" Dean said leaving, the officer right behind him.

"Cut!" Adam yelled as a bell rang out "That's a wrap for today, great job everyone" he said getting up from a director's chair.

"Mr. McLean, you have a phone call" a woman said handing him a bottle of water and his cell phone.

"Hello" he said answering.

“What’s up Spielberg?” Bradley asked.

“Bradley Jason, to what do I owe the pleasure?” Adam asked.

“Wow, I didn’t anything pleased you” Bradley said “Least of all talking to me” he said.

“Yeah yeah, I’m on set, what do you want?” Adam asked.

"Remember Mr. Mooney?” Bradley asked.

“You mean Mooney from the old record store?” Adam asked
“That’s random, yeah I remember Mooney, what about him?" Adam asked.

"He's dead" Bradley said.

“Can't say I'm not surprised the guy knocked back 2 bottles of whiskey a day" Adam said. “Not to mention he’d be like a hundred by now…which kinda makes me wonder why it took so long” he said.

"It wasn’t from drinking, he was murdered" Bradley said to him.

“Now that I did not see coming” Adam said "So, you and Neilson investigating?"

"Course" Bradley said to him.

"Great, all you guys need now is a mini bus and a giant talking dog" Adam said.

Bradley laughed sarcastically "Oh I get it like Scooby Doo, you're funny" Bradley said before abruptly hanging up his phone.

"So what'd Mr. Hollywood have to say?" Neilson asked.

“Oh just his typical Scooby Doo crack” Bradley said to him as they loaded Mr. Mooney onto a stretcher, zipping him up in a plastic bag. They wheeled him from the crime scene and loaded him into an ambulance.

~*~


A whistle blew, young men hustled around a football field wearing football uniforms, grunting and groaning with each tackle. The whistle blew once more "Alright! Bring it in!" Kyle yelled, holding a clipboard in his hands, the whistle strung around his neck. "Good practice today guys, hit the showers" he said to the team as they hustled into the locker rooms while Kyle retreated to his office.

"Well well coach Richardson" a voice said, he looked up to see an older man sitting in his chair.

"Coach Reinhart?" Kyle asked "Oh my god" he said happily "What are you doing here?" he asked.

“I’m in town for the reunion” Coach Reinhart replied.

“The reunion…right” Kyle said.

“I take it you’ll be attending?” coach asked.

“Yep, already sent in my RSVP” Kyle said to him “You’re looking good in your old age coach” he said.

“Well retirement will do that for you, I can't believe this is the same Kyle Richardson that I coached, my star player became the master" coach Reinhart said happily “You did good for yourself kid.”

"Well I owe it all to you” Kyle said.

“Well it was good seeing you again, son" Coach Reinhart said extending his hand.

"Yeah you too coach, I guess I’ll see you at the reunion."

"Oh most definitely, your class was one of the most memorable" coach said "And we both know why" Kyle nodded knowingly "Mm" he said as coach left his office.

"Look coach about what happened at lunch with Damien..." Kyle said.

"Don't worry about it Kyle, Damien has already been dealt with."

"What do you mean?" Kyle asked.

"I had no choice I had to kick him off the team."

"I was afraid of that" Kyle said as the coach handed him a slip "Thanks" he said leaving the office .


~*~


Harry looked carefully into a microscope as he stood in the hospital’s lab.

“Hey, Doctor Dorkenstein” Bradley said as he and Neilson came inside.

Harry rolled his eyes “You are aware that we’re in our forties now right?” he asked irritated.

“So?” Bradley asked.

“What are you guys doing here anyways? Aren’t you on duty?” Harry asked.

“Yep just dropping off a guy at the morgue” Neilson said.

“Ah, that’s too bad” Harry said.

“Want to know who it is?” Bradley asked.

“Pretty sure it’s illegal to discuss an open investigation isn’t it?” Harry asked.

“Me disclosing the victim’s identity is not discussing the case” Bradley said.

“Alright, I’ll bite…who was it?” Harry asked.

“Mr. Mooney” Neilson said.

“They called you guys in for liver failure?” Harry asked.

“He didn’t die from liver failure, he was murdered” Neilson said to him.

“Murder…I didn’t see that one coming” Harry said “You finally get a look at his face?” he asked.

“What was left of it sure” Bradley said “Not a very good looking guy” he said.

“Especially now” Neilson said.

Bradley’s phone beeped “Come on we got to get back to the station” he said to Neilson.

“I may just go take a peek at him” Harry said.

“Fine…just don’t eat anything before you do” Bradley said to him as they left the lab.

~*~


Sydney sat at the kitchen table, her laptop open in front of her, her head resting in her hands as she looked at the screen in frustration.

“Hello wife” Bradley said coming inside the house, the backdoor shutting behind him.

“Mm” she said as he kissed her cheek.

“Write anything?” he asked.

“Well…I wrote my name in all the fonts I have” she said staring at the screen.

“Oh yeah” Bradley said “If it matters I kinda like that one” he said pointing to the screen, she groaned in frustration and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Where are the girls?” he asked grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator.

“Mady is upstairs finishing her science project, Libs is at volleyball practice and Rachel is in the living room with Joey doing homework” she said.

“Living room with Joey doing homework huh?” he asked “Well how about I make sure?” he asked.

“Bradley” Sydney warned.

Bradley's daughter Rachel sat on the couch caught up in a hot and heavy make out session with Neilson's son Joey.

“Hey kids!” he said loudly.

“Daddy!” Rachel said as she hurriedly jumped off Joey’s lap.

“What’s up?” he asked.

“Nothing, uh just finishing up some homework” Rachel said to him.

“Great…well then I hope you don’t mind if I just squeeze myself in here” he said sitting between them and turning the TV on.

“Daddy” Rachel said.

“Hmm?” Bradley asked.

“Do you mind? We’re trying to study here” she asked.

“Study? I thought you said you were doing homework?” he asked.

"It's okay Rach, I got to get home anyways" Joey said grabbing his backpack.

"Aw, you have to leave so soon?" Bradley asked.

Rachel swatted him "Call me later okay?" she asked walking him to the door.

"Course" he said kissing her "Night" he said leaving.

"Night" she said.

"Night Joey!" Bradley said loudly.

Rachel rolled her eyes as the door closed "What is wrong with you?" she asked.

"How much time you got?" he asked her.

“MOM!” Rachel bellowed as she went into the kitchen “Can you please do something about your husband?” Rachel asked.

“Husband, please leave your daughter and her boyfriend alone” Sydney said to Bradley.

Boyfriend?! He’s your boyfriend now?” Bradley asked.

“Why not? His dad’s your boyfriend” Rachel said.

“Ooh! Good one! You been talking to Adam?” Bradley asked.

"Why do you hate Joey?" Rachel asked.

"I don't hate Joey...should I?" he asked "Look as someone who used to be a teenage boy, trust me...we're pigs" he said to her.

"He's not wrong on that one" Sydney said to her.

He felt his hip vibrate and pulled his phone out "Littrell" he said answering, his face went blank. "Are you serious?" he asked "When?" he asked "Yeah, I'll be right there" he said hanging up.

"Something happen?" Sydney asked.

"I got to go" he said.

"Be careful" she said as they kissed.

"Neilson, we got to go" he said on his phone as he left his house.

~*~


Camera flashes went off as crime scene personnel moved around a figure lying on the floor. Bradley and Neilson flashed their badges, allowing them to duck under the yellow tape, walking into the hotel room.

"What happened?" Neilson asked.

"Guy was a guest here, called out for room service, waiter found the guy dead" an officer said to them.

Bradley pulled the sheet away from the victim's face.

"Oh my god" Neilson said.

"coach Reinhart" Bradley said kneeling down next to him.
"Shot in the head just like Mooney" Bradley said looking up at Neilson.

"Detectives, what do we got?" Captain Stone said coming into the room, ducking under the tape.

"Another gunshot victim" Bradley said.

"Two in one day?" he asked.

"Shot the same way as Mooney" Neilson said.

"I'm beginning to see a pattern here" Dean said.

"Yeah, so are we...we knew this guy too" Bradley said

"He was our high school football coach" Neilson said.

“Well this is unsettling” Bradley said putting on a pair of gloves and picking something off the floor.

“What is it?” Dean asked.

“An invitation” Bradley said “To our 25-year high school reunion” he said.