- Text Size +
Darren opened his front door “Can I help you?” he asked.

“Yeah, LAPD” Bradley said flashing his badge.

“What can I do for you officers?” he asked.

“Detective…we have some question about your brother Damien and your father Derek” Neilson said to him.

“They’ve been dead for over twenty years I don’t know what you could possibly want with them” he said.

“Just want to make sure that’s true” Bradley said.

“Can we come in?” Neilson asked.

Darren shrugged and stepped aside “So what business could you possibly have with my dearly departed father and brother?” he asked.

“Well they tried to kill us for one thing” Neilson said to him.

“Excuse me?” Darren asked.

“You don’t recognize us do you?” Bradley asked.

“Should I?” Darren asked.

“Here, this might refresh your memory” Bradley said handing over his phone, showing Darren an old picture of him and Neilson.

“Oh my god” Darren said.

“Remember us now?” Neilson asked.

“Yeah…Bradley and Neilson right?” Darren asked.

“All grown up, yes” Bradley said.

“So I see…you guys are cops now” Darren said.

“You seem surprised by that” Bradley said.

“Not at all…what do you need from me?” Darren asked.

“Records indicated that after their deaths, their bodies were released to you and sent to a crematorium” Bradley said.

“Yeah that’s true but I still don’t understand why you’re here” Darren said.

“Do you still have their remains?” Bradley asked.

“You mean their ashes? Yeah some of them, the rest were buried with my mother” Darren said.

“Can we see them?” Neilson asked.

“You came here to see their ashes?” Darren asked confused.

“It sounds crazy but yes, just need a confirmation that they are in fact deceased” Bradley said to him.

“Yeah sure, right in here” Darren said leading them into the living room “There they are” he said gesturing towards the fireplace. The phone then began to ring “Excuse me” Darren said, Neilson glanced at the dining room table finding several envelopes with C. Winningham in the top corner. Bradley quickly collected the ashes from the urns and and stuffed them back into his pocket.

“Alright, well, thanks for indulging us" Bradley said.

“Sorry we bothered you” Neilson said.

“No problem, I understand where you guys are coming from” Darren said as they left.

“Have a good day” Bradley said.

“You too” Darren said shutting the door.

“You know they won’t be able to get DNA from those ashes” Neilson said to Bradley as they approached the car.

“No, but they’ll be able to tell the difference between fire place ash and human remains” Bradley said as they got into a car and drove away.

~*~


“Alright, call me back and let me know, thanks” Kellie said on her desk phone as Kyle entered her office “Hello sweetheart” Kellie said to him.

“Hey mom” he said hugging her.

“Thanks for coming” she said.

“Well, when the DA calls you, you pretty much have to show up” he said sitting in front of her desk.

“Yeah, about that...” she said.

“Something wrong?” he asked.

“Well…I’m not sure” she said.

“Okay” he said “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Dean asked me to get a warrant for some medical records” she said.

“Okay…?” he said confused.

“You don’t know” she said.

“Know what?” he asked confused.

“Bradley and Neilson…are looking into the possibility that Damien Winchester is still alive” she said.

He sighed, rolling his eyes, putting a hand on his face to massage his temples “They actually bothered you with this?” he asked.

“Well you can never be too careful when it comes to him” she said to him.

“Yeah trust me I know all too well” he said.

“The judge granted the warrant, I made one of the conditions of giving them the warrant they were to let me know everything they found” she said.

“And?” Kyle asked.

“No word yet” she said “Did you know about any of this?” she asked.

“Yeah, Bradley brought it up as a theory but I didn’t think he was actually going to follow through on it” he said. He checked his watch “Alright, I got to get back to school” he said standing up from the chair.

“Okay, thanks for coming sweetie” Kellie said to him.

“Thanks for letting me know” Kyle said to her.

“Course, give my love to Zoey and the kids” Kellie said.

“Always, bye” Kyle said kissing her cheek.

~*~


“They’re involved…they have to be” Bradley said.

“Why are you so insistent on proving they’re still alive?” Neilson asked.

“Because, it’s the only thing that would make sense” Bradley said “Who else would want coach and Mooney dead?”

“Why would Damien want Mooney dead?” Neilson asked.

“Because he was connected to us, he was sending us a message” Bradley said to him as he stared up at a large board of evidence in front of him.

“What about Darren? Damien’s brother? He could be the one doing all of this” Neilson said.

“Darren? Really? You get that vibe from him?” Bradley asked.

“First his brother’s sent to prison, then his father, they’re presumed dead, then he loses everything trying to help them, he’s sent to prison for a few years, his mom dies… his whole family’s gone, would be enough to drive anyone to madness” Neilson said as Bradley’s desk phone rang.

“Yeah, Littrell” he said answering “You’re absolutely sure?” he asked “Okay, yeah, thanks” he said hanging up.
“Lab results…the ashes in those urns are that of human remains” Bradley said dejected as he sat in his desk chair.

“Well, there you have it” Neilson said.

“Yeah…okay, I guess we’re done with this” Bradley said.

“You okay?” Neilson asked.

“I don’t get it…this should be easy to figure out” he said to Neilson “It’s like the answer is staring me right in the face” he said.

“Well it doesn’t matter because it’s not our case anymore right?” Neilson said.

“Yeah” Bradley said sitting at his desk “Just can’t shake this feeling I have” Bradley said.

Kyle stormed into the squad room “Hey” he said approaching Bradley’s desk.

“Hey” he said looking up at him.

“When were you planning on telling me that you were looking into Damien being alive?” he asked irritated.

“Uh…I wasn’t?” Bradley said to him “Because I don't have to?” he said.

“Do I have to remind you everything he’s done to me?! He almost destroyed my life!” Kyle said angrily.

“Really?! You don’t say!” Bradley said to him “I guess I must’ve missed all that when I wasn’t getting shot, kidnapped, tortured, drugged, strangled, blown up or having my best friend attempt to stab me with an ice pick!” Bradley said to him.

“Not like I had a choice” Neilson said.

“Damien screwed up our lives just as much as he screwed up yours!” Bradley said to Kyle “In case you’ve forgotten, his father was no picnic to deal with either!” he said.

“Alright you guys come on” Neilson said getting in between them.

“Just tell me what you found” Kyle said to him.

“You know I can’t do that” Neilson said to him.

“Neilson…please” Kyle said.

“We checked hospital records, we found out that Damien and his father’s bodies were released to his brother after they died” Neilson said.

“Darren?” Kyle said.

“Yeah, records showed that Darren had them sent to a crematorium” Neilson said.

“He had them cremated” Kyle said.

“Usually what you do at a crematorium” Bradley said as he looked through a file, Kyle glared at him.

“We went by his house today and took a sample of the ashes, the lab results came back as them being of human remains” Neilson said in a hushed tone.

“So…it’s them” Kyle said.

“You can’t get DNA results from ashes but…yeah I believe so” Neilson said to him.

“So…that’s it then? They’re dead…right?” Kyle asked.

“As of right now…yeah, they are” Neilson said.

“Okay well then…who killed coach and Mr. Mooney?” Kyle asked.

“Not our case so we’re not sure but from what I hear there’s no leads” Neilson said.

“Okay…thanks” Kyle said to him.

“Sure” Neilson said nodding.

“Look Bradley, I’m sorry…I know you guys had your own experience with Damien and I feel partly responsible that you guys ended up in the crossfire” Kyle said “We cool?” Kyle asked hopefully.

“Yeah sure, whatever” Bradley said, Neilson nudged him “What?” he asked as Neilson gave him an urging look “Yeah, we’re cool” Bradley said shaking Kyle’s hand.

“Alright, see you guys later” Kyle said as he left the station.

Bradley sighed deeply “We have got to get the captain to let us back on this case” he said sitting in his desk chair.

“You would think being this closely involved would help somehow” Neilson said to him.

“Yeah you would” Bradley said “Is there anything else we need to take care of? I’m ready to call it a night” he said.

“Nope, we’re good” Neilson said as they got up from their desks.

“Littrell, Carter, good you guys are still here” another detective said rushing into the squad room.

“Not for long” Bradley said pulling his coat on.

“Another body just dropped” the detective said.

“Wexler?” Neilson asked.

“No, Wexler’s fine, someone else…a Charles Delaney, that name ring any bells?” the detective asked.

“Charlie?” Bradley asked.

“You know him?” the detective asked.

“Yeah he owned a bar that we used to hang out at when we were in high school” Bradley said “That was part of the reason they shut him down, he had no license which meant he’d serve you no matter how old you were” Bradley said.

“Same way as the others?” Neilson asked.

“Yeah but…this time he left a clue” the detective said holding up an envelope.

“What kind of clue?” Bradley asked.

“Most likely his next victim” the detective said pulling out a photograph, he then handed it to Bradley “Now if I’m not mistaken…that’s the captain” the detective said.

“Yeah…it is, with his old police captain and partner, Sam Manning” Bradley said.

“Yeah but only the captain is circled” the detective said.

“He’s next” Neilson said.

~*~


“This is ridiculous I don’t need protective detail, I am a cop afterall” Dean said irritated.

“It’s just a precaution Captain” Bradley said to him.

“And what are you two doing here anyways? I thought I told you, you were off this case?” Dean asked.

“You did” Neilson said “But we’re in charge of providing protective detail remember?” he asked.

“Yet another person who was connected to you both is dead, all the more reason for you to stay away” Dean said to them.

“Mom?!” Kyle asked frantically.

“What happened? What’s going on?” he asked storming into the house, Zoey behind him.

“Nothing, honey, I’m fine” Kellie said reassuring him.

“Well what’s with all the police cars?” he asked.

“Someone else was killed tonight” Bradley said to him “Remember Charlie? From the bar?” he asked.

“Charlie? They killed Charlie?” Kyle asked.

“They also left a clue to their next victim” Neilson said “Dean” he said nodding in his direction.

“They’re targeting you?” Zoey asked.

“Well what about mom? Is she safe?” Kyle asked.

“Kyle, we’ll be fine, don’t worry” Kellie said to them.

“I think you should come stay with us, just until this guy is caught” Zoey said.

“Yeah I agree” Kyle said.

“Forget it, no one is running me out of my own home, now we appreciate the offer, but we’ll be just fine” Dean said.

“Well at least just let mom come stay with us” Kyle said to him.

“Kyle!” Kellie said.

“You’re right, sorry, Dean” Kyle said.

“Don’t apologize, I agree with you” Dean said “Kellie, I want you to go stay with Kyle and Zoey just for the time being” Dean said to her.

“I couldn’t, I don’t want to be any trouble” Kellie said.

“You wouldn’t be any trouble at all, we’d love to have you” Zoey said to her.

“Are you sure?” Kellie asked.

“Absolutely, come on I’ll help you pack” Zoey said.

“Well…alright” Kellie said as she and Zoey left the room.

“You need to find this guy and fast” Kyle said to Dean.

“We’re working on it” Dean said to him.

“Not fast enough, Dean he’s coming after you which means my mother could be in danger too!” Kyle said to him.

“I would never let anything happen to your mother, you know that” Dean said.

“I want them back on the case” Kyle said.

“Excuse me?” Dean asked.

“Put Bradley and Neilson back on the case, it’s the only way you’re going to catch this guy” Kyle said.

“If I put them back on the case, they’ll be at as much risk as I am, is that what you want?” Dean asked. “I didn’t think so” Dean said as Kyle stayed silent “As for the protective detail, get rid of them, if something happens, I’ll take care of it myself” Dean said to him.

“Alright but only if you’re absolutely sure” Bradley said to him.

“I’m absolutely sure, get home to your wives where you belong” Dean said to them.

“Not gonna argue with that” Bradley said.

“Night captain” Neilson said as they left the house.

“Okay, we’re ready” Zoey said coming back into the room, Kellie behind her.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Kellie asked Dean.

“I’m positive, I’ll call you in the morning” Dean said.

“I love you” Kellie said hugging him.

“I love you too” he said.

“Come on mom” Kyle said as they took her out to the car.

The cop cars soon left the area. Dean locked the door and loaded his gun, looking outside once more before closing the curtains.