- Text Size +
“Oh, hey Kev,” Nick said once he’d opened the door. He stepped aside so Kevin could enter the room. He was thankful he’d managed to close his laptop and turn off the music before opening up the door. “What’s up?”

Nick gestured for Kevin to have a seat on the bed and he took the desk chair, drawing his long legs up underneath him. He was exhausted, mentally and physically. All he wanted to do was go to sleep and hopefully come morning he’d be in a much better headspace. But this was the first time Kevin had sought him out to talk, to spend time with him, outside of caring for the kids and he wasn’t about to let the opportunity to talk to the older man pass him by, no matter how tired he was.

“I wanted to apologize for being in a funk. I’ve just got some things on my mind I’m trying to work through and I didn’t want you to feel like I was ignoring you or upset with you or anything. Your dinner was amazing. I’m really proud of you.” Kevin said fidgeting with his hands in his lap.

Nick blushed and stared at an imaginary spot on the floor. “Thanks Kev.”

“How was your meeting with the lawyer?” Kevin asked looking up at the blonde.

Nick sighed and rolled his neck from side to side trying to get it to pop. This chair was very uncomfortable. Kevin scooted back on the bed, his back hitting the headboard. “Come sit over here and get out of that horrible chair. I told Kristin years ago it needed to go in trash but she insisted on keeping it. It’s like sitting on a rock.”

Nick chuckled and nodded. It really was uncomfortable. He crossed to the other side of the bed and settled in beside the other man. They weren’t touching, but Nick could feel the heat from Kevin's body and it was doing all kinds of delicious things to him.

“All the paperwork is signed. They plan on serving her with papers next week. I am willing to give her the house in Las Vegas, her car and alimony. In turn, I want the rest of my property and vehicles and sole legal and physical custody of the kids. We can work out a visitation schedule once she gets clean, but it will have to be on my terms and she will have to come here, they won’t be traveling to see her.” Nick said sadly.

“So you intend to stay here in Kentucky?” Kevin asked softly, turning to look at the him.

Nick nodded. “If you don’t want us to stay here, I’ll start looking for a place, but we don’t really have anywhere else to go that I feel comfortable being right now.”

Kevin picked up the hand closest to him and clasped their fingers together. “Stay as long as you want. Stay until we go back on the road, stay longer than that. I like having you here, all of you. My home is your home, always.” Kevin squeezed Nick’s hand gently and then leaned back against the headboard and closed his eyes.

Nick felt the tears prick the corner of his eyes but refused to let them fall. Deep down he knew that Kevin wouldn’t make him leave, that’s why he had the lawyer put Kevin’s address down as his permanent residence. At this rate, he never intended to leave. Maybe if he stayed long enough he could make Kevin understand how good they could be together, not just great roommates, but incredible lovers and parents, together. He shifted closer to the other man and laid his head against Kevin’s shoulder. Kevin let go of their hands long enough to bring his arm around Nick and pull him in close. Nick settled down against him, moving his head to Kevin’s chest and throwing an arm around his waist. They settled in, so comfortably that Nick questioned why they didn’t do this every night. With the feel of the other man’s heartbeat beneath his hands he felt himself begin to get very drowsy. For the first time in weeks he felt completely relaxed, boneless. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the intoxicating scent of the other man. Before he knew what was happening, Nick was sound asleep.

-

Kevin tried not to react to the blonde curled around him like a spider monkey. Nick had fallen asleep so suddenly Kevin hadn't had time to shift into a more comfortable position and now he was afraid to move too much and wake the tired man. He'd casually placed his hand on top of Nick's golden locks right before he fell asleep and was softly running his fingers through the soft waves. It was getting so much longer, growing into his eyes and down his neck. Nick usually kept it pretty short, but with the quarantine, neither of them had ventured out for haircuts. Kevin's own mane was long enough to require a ponytail most days, but it was a style he had worn before so it wasn't as much of a surprise as Nick's long hair. It didn't matter to Kevin. He found the younger man sexy no matter which way he chose to wear his hair. But he couldn't think about that right now, not which Nick pressed against him. He tried not to get caught up in the fact that Nick intended to stay here, with him in Kentucky. He couldn’t allow his mind to race to those places it so desperately wanted to go. But why not? After all, that’s why he’d come in here in the first place, wasn’t it? To see if there were any signs that the younger man felt anything besides friendship for him? What else could choosing to stay here mean?

He shifted a little to get more comfortable. It was bliss to hold Nick in his arms. He hadn’t done this in years, and then would have been the other man still had nightmares. He couldn’t even remember when Nick stopped sneaking into his bunks ro sleep. Had he known the last time, was the last time, he never would have let Nick go come morning. But now, here he was several years and life experiences later, curled up against him. Just as he had many, many times before. It gave Kevin a sense of pride to know he had always managed to be a source of comfort for the blonde. Once again, he thought about all the ways he could make Nick happy, make him feel loved, truly loved, for the first time, if only Nick would let him. He brushed the hair out of Nick’s eyes, much as he’d done with Odin hours earlier. He could be good for all of them, could take care of all of them. They could be so happy, all six of them together. If only. The thoughts danced in his mind as he tightened his grip on the other man and drifted off himself.

-
Kevin awoke the next morning cold and alone. He was disoriented at first until he realized where he was. The images of the night before flooding his mind, he sat up and looked around the room for signs of Nick. Finding none, he picked up the baby monitor on the nightstand and checked it. Both rooms were empty, which only meant Nick was downstairs or somewhere else in the house with the kids. Wait, was that time right? His head shot up and he looked around the room frantically for a clock. Was it really after 10? He couldn’t remember the last time he’d ever slept that late! Finding no clock in anywhere, he left Nick’s room and headed down the hallway to his own. He could hear laughing coming from somewhere downstairs and decided he’d go shower before heading downstairs. He got to his room and rescued his cell phone from the nightstand. 10:15 it read. Holy shit. He’d slept like the dead. He couldn’t believe it. His messages caught his eye. He had one from Howie and three from Brian.

All Howie’s said was “So”. Kevin had to smile at that. Once Howie got invested in something he was like a dog with a bone. It was all in good nature, Howie generally just wanted what was best for everyone. He didn’t have a selfish bone in his body. Kevin wasn’t even sure at this point what to say, that anything could be said. Nothing had changed since yesterday. He hadn’t heard from Brian in a few days, opening his messages he was a little taken aback.

Brian: “What's going on over there???”

Brian: “Why are you both ignoring me?”

Brian: “Kevin. I want to be answered NOW. If one of you doesn’t answer me soon then I’m driving up there. This is ridiculous.”

What in the world was going on? He hadn’t heard from Brian in days and their last exchange had been civil and Kevin had told him he’d call if he needed anything. Why in the world was Brian having a fit? He quickly texted back.

“What are you talking about? I just got up.”

Brian’s response was immediate. “Just got up? It’s after 10 Kevin. What in the hell is going on over there?”

“Nothing that I know of. It’s been a rough few days for everyone. I guess I was just tired. I didn’t set an alarm and just woke up on my own. What’s the panic about? What’s going on with you?”

Brian: “I’ve been trying to get Nick to answer me in almost a week, but he keeps reading my messages and then never replying. I was starting to wonder if you’d killed him and taken his phone.”

Kevin chuckled at that one. While he had no idea that Nick had been ignoring Brian, he figured Nick had to have his reasons for doing so. “Haha, he’s very much alive. Though I haven’t seen him yet this morning so I could be wrong.”

Brian: “That’s not funny Kevin. Will you find out why he’s ignoring me and tell him to message me or call. I’m worried.”

“I’ll talk to him, but I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. He seems to be holding it together just fine.”

Kevin was not getting in the middle of one of their squabbles. He would casually mention it to Nick, but that would be it. He’d learned the hard way not to take sides when it came to the two of them. Although, if Nick had felt the need to ignore Brian for more than a week, then it seemed like whatever Nick was upset about was a little more serious than their usual tiffs. He closed his phone and tossed it onto the bed. A shower was in order, then he would go see what in the world was going on downstairs.

-

“Hey sleepyhead.” Nick said, smiling softly from where he lay stretched out on the floor with Saoirse.

Kevin laughed as he entered the living room and took a seat on the floor beside him. Nick and Saoirse were building with blocks on the rug on the floor. Odin was watching cartoons on the couch, perfectly content and zoned out. Kevin had to smile at the dazed look on his precious face. It was the same one Nick used to get when he watched cartoons on the tour bus.

“I cannot believe you let me sleep that late. I can’t even tell you the last time I’ve slept past eight.” Kevin said, taking a block and putting it on top of her tower. She smiled up at him and handed him another block.

“Let you! I tried to wake you when the kids got up, but you were dead to the world. I could barely untangle myself to go get the baby.” Nick said laughing.

Kevin blushed and focused on the tower building. They made it several inches tall before Saoirse would knock it down and they would start all over again. “I figured you needed it. You’ve looked stressed the last couple of days. It was nice to see all the worry lines fade away in your sleep.” Nick said softly, taking more blocks out of the bucket to start a second tower.

“Yeah, last night was nice.” Kevin said quietly, refusing to look at the other man.

Nick nodded. “Yeah it was. I haven’t fallen asleep that fast, or stayed asleep that long in years.”

They sat in silence, each inside their own thoughts. Saoirse alternated between the two of them, handing one a block and then giving one to the other. Each continued to build the tower for her, only to have her knock it down and burst into giggles each time. The sound was music to Kevin’s ears. Baby giggles were the best sound, and knowing they came from Nick’s daughter, and that he’d been the one to produce them, it was everything.

After several minutes of quiet Kevin finally felt like broaching the subject of Brian. “I had several texts from Brian when I got up. He thinks I’ve murdered you.”

Nick shook his head but didn’t smile. “He should have left you alone.” he said quietly.

“What’s going on between you guys. He says you’ve been ignoring him for more than a week. That sounds serious.” Kevin said gently, peering at the younger man over his block tower.

“He just said some things that I'd rather not repeat. Things he knew would hurt me and he did it anyway. He did it to be vindictive and to prove that he knows better than I do about how I should live my life. I don’t much care to talk to him right now. He shouldn’t have bothered you though. This is between him and I. Once I calm down I’ll message him, but right now, now I just can’t Kev.” Nick said sadly, handing Saoirse another block.

Kevin held up his hands in mock surrender. He knew exactly how big of an asshole Brian could be. It didn’t surprise him that he’d said something insensitive, but it didn’t make it right. Kevin planned on saying so if Brian continued to push. “You don’t have to explain it to me. I know he can be a jerk sometimes. I’m here though, if you need to talk about it. If he messages me back I’ll tell him to give you some space.”

“Thanks Kev.” Nick said, refusing to look at him.

Whatever the hell Brian had said, it had to be something pretty bad. Just the mention of the other man’s name had set Nick on edge. Kevin could tell a change in his demeanor immediately. He mentally kicked himself for even bringing it up. Kevin looked at the other man and at the same time Nick was looking up at him. Blue eyes met green and both men smiled and blushed before quickly looking away. This was going to be a long day.

-

The rest of the day passed in much the same way. Before Kevin knew it, they’d eaten dinner and Nick was starting the kids’ evening routines. Kevin had excused himself to go back to his room and call his own boys. He chatted with each of them for about an hour and then spoke to Kristin for a few moments. Convincing her everything was still in very much the same place it was the day before, he hung up.

He’d had another message from Brian when he returned to his room. He’d promptly told the other man that he would have to work out whatever was going on with Nick himself and to leave him out of it. Brian didn't respond to that message. Kevin didn’t think he would either. He glanced at the clock and realized it was almost 10. He wasn’t really tired after sleeping all morning. He decided to watch a movie and settle in for the night. He found one quickly on Netflix he’d not seen yet and paused it so he could wash up. He grabbed his pajamas and took them into the bathroom with him. He quickly brushed his teeth and changed. He pulled his hair back into a low ponytail to get it up off his shoulders. Walking back into the bedroom, he was startled to see Nick curled up on one side of the bed.

“Hello.” Kevin said quizzically, cocking his head to one side and smiling gently at the other man.

Nick laughed. “You didn’t answer when I knocked so I came on in. I hope you don’t mind.” He stretched out on top of the comforter and put his arms behind his head before smiling up at Kevin.

“No of course not, make yourself comfortable.” Kevin said laughing. He shut off the overhead light to the bedroom and flipped on the bedside lamp as he climbed onto the bed beside the blonde. “Everything okay?”

Nick nodded. “Yeah, just really didn’t want to be alone. Is that okay?” He asked quietly.

“Of course,” Kevin insisted. He climbed under the blankets and got comfortable. “I was going to watch a movie. You want to stay and watch it with me?”

Nick yawned and nodded. “Yeah, I’d like that.” He sat up and scooted his legs underneath the covers and made himself comfortable.

They laid side by side for the first twenty minutes of the movie before Nick spoke. “They served Lauren the divroce and custody papers today. I was told to block her number, that she was informed all communication was to go through their office.” Nick said quietly.

Kevin rolled over onto his side and peered up at the other man. This was the first he’d heard of it. He knew she was supposed to be served sometime this week but he had no idea it had happened already. “Have you heard how it went?”

Nick turned to look at him, “They said she was compliant, whatever that means. I guess we’ll see. She has 30 days to sign and return the papers, otherwise they will push to bring us before a judge. I have no idea what her headspace is right now. I haven’t spoken to her since I left. I’m scared for the kids, but the longer I’m away from her, the more convinced I am that I’m doing the right thing.”

Kevin smiled. “I’m proud of you Nicky. You decided what was best for you and the kids and you did all the things you needed to do to protect all of you.”

“I never could have done any of this without you Kevin.” Nick said softly, looking at him intently. “I can’t ever repay you for everything you’ve done for me.”

Kevin waved him off. “I haven’t done anything baby. The strength you’re feeling comes from within you. You just needed someone to remind you it was there. It always has been. And you don’t have to thank me for anything. The best way to thank me is just to make yourself happy. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Kevin said quietly, rolling back onto his back.

They settled back down to watch the movie, both men’s minds far away from whatever the plot was supposed to be. A few moments later Nick reached for Kevin’s hand beneath the blanket. Finding it, he laced their fingers together and continued to pretend to watch the movie.