- Text Size +
Surprisingly, the conversation went much easier than expected. It helped that Kevin had never once asked Kristin to change their custody times since they had divorced. In the grand scheme of things, he was only asking her to take them three days early, but he had still been pretty nervous about it. He didn’t want her to get the wrong idea and think this was going to be a common occurrence. Kevin couldn’t really explain why he had this overwhelming need to be in Vegas, sure the separation was hard and Brian being there hadn’t helped, but it was more than that. Kevin couldn’t quite put his finger on it, it was just something he felt strongly about.

After calling Kristin to beg for her assistance, he’d rescheduled his ticket and went back upstairs to begin packing his suitcase. He would drop the boys off with Kristin Wednesday night so he could catch the first flight to Vegas on Thursday morning. That would put him in town by 9am and Nick would be back from the drop off a little after 10. Kevin had keys to the apartment and planned to make good use of them. Once Nick was free of responsibility, they could spend the entire day and night together, getting acquainted and putting all the doubts and insecurities to rest before they picked the kids back up on Friday morning. The extra time would bleed into Kevin’s week in Vegas and they would have plenty of time to catch up and be together. Kevin was really looking forward to all of it.

The biggest challenge was keeping his entire plan secret from Nick. When they spoke on Wednesday night, he had to make up an excuse for why Mason and Maxwell weren’t available to chat with him. He could tell Nick was suspicious, but he knew come morning when they were once again wrapped tight in each other’s arms, that the little white lie would be completely worth it.

“They went to Kristin’s for dinner. They were really missing their mom so we decided to let them go over for the evening. “ Kevin answered as he stretched back on their bed. His suitcase was packed and waiting by the front door, the only thing that stood between them was time. He couldn't wait until morning.

“Everything okay there?” Nick questioned, his voice sounding unsure and small over the line. Kevin smiled inwardly, as he fiddled with the alarm to wake him for his early morning flight.

“Yeah babe, everything is fine. Just counting down the hours until I can be there.” Kevin said truthfully.

He could envision Nick’s smile by the tone of his voice. “Shit me too. It’s been the longest week. I’m not going to let you out of arm’s reach once when you are finally here.”

“Sounds perfect to me. I can’t wait to be wrapped up in you too. “ Kevin admitted.

They were both silent for several moments, both lost in their own thoughts of each other. Kevin pined the phone between his chin and his shoulder as he pulled off his jeans and kicked them out of the way. Once he was left in his boxer briefs and t-shirt, he climbed into their bed, settling in Nick’s ordinary spot and cuddling down with his pillow.

“Are you nervous about the drop off tomorrow?” he asked softly.

Nick sighed heavily before answering. “Honestly, a little. They were still dirty when I picked them up this morning, which is annoying and frustrating. But Odin was weird all day. I tried to get him to talk to me but he was just really quiet and resigned. It’s not like him at all. I tried talking to him about his visits with her but every time I ask a question he gives me a brief one word answer and won’t look at me. It’s starting to worry me because it’s just not like him, you know?”

Kevin nodded, even though Nick couldn’t see him. “Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you talked to her at all?”

“Nope. She just stands there glaring at me. She doesn’t even try to get them in or out of the car. Heather has to do it all. I just don’t understand Kev. I mean, I had a shitastic mother so I mean I get it. I just wanted better for my kids and I’m so mad that this is what they get.” he said quietly.

Kevin let out his own sigh. “You are giving them the best. She is responsible for her own choices and actions. Once we get custody, they will have two loving fathers who will give them the world. Lucky kids, they are.”

“You sound like Yoda.” Nick said laughing, the sound caused Kevin’s smile to spread wide across his face. It was a sound he would never tire of.

“You know I have no idea what that is right.” Kevin said with a small laugh.

Nick’s laughter erupted from the other end of the phone. “Babe, as soon as this is all settled and I’m back home you are watching all of the Star Wars movies with me from start to finish.” Nick threatened.

“I’ll do anything with you, Nicky.” Kevin said sweetly.

“I’m going to hold you to that Mr. Richardson, you may come to regret those words.” Nick quipped.

“Never, baby.” came Kevin’s sweet reply.

“Just a few more days and then you’ll be here.” Nick begged softly.

“Mmmhm.” Kevin mumbled noncommittally. “Can’t wait.”

--

Lauren didn’t even bother to get out of her car this time. She pulled in more than five minutes late and proceeded to stay seated while Heather tore the kids away from him and took them to their mother. Saoirse had been especially clingy all morning, every little thing had set her off. She woke up almost an hour earlier than normal with a scream so piercing she woke Odin as well. She threw her breakfast bowl on the floor the moment he’d set it on her highchair tray, sending strawberries and oatmeal skittering across the floor. Odin was mad they didn’t have time to watch Paw Patrol and managed to get his outfit dirty not once, but twice before they left, prompting a last minute clothes change.

By the time they had to leave for the switch off, both kids were screaming and crying and his nerves were shot. To top it off Kevin had texted that morning to say he’d been pulled into a meeting and wouldn’t be able to chat before the drop off like normal. Nick understood, but he had been really looking forward to the call, needing the strength of his lover after his hellish morning.

He had given Saoirse to Heather first and when he went to unbuckle Odin from his car seat, the small boy had tears streaming down his pale cheeks.

“What's the matter buddy,” Nick asked as he wiped the wetness with the back of his hand.

“Don't wanna go.” he said quietly, pulling his head down to play with the seat belt instead of looking at Nick.

“Oh buddy, I don’t want you to go either, but you have to. I’m so sorry. But it’s just overnight and then when I pick you up tomorrow you won’t have to go again for several days okay. And on Saturday Kevin will be here. That’s good right?” Nick tried hard to keep his own tears at bay, Odin breaking his heart with every word.

His son looked up at him, his blue eyes shimmering with tears. “Kebin?” he asked quietly.

“Yep. In just a couple of days, Kevin will be here with us for the week. Aren’t you excited to see him? I know I sure am. Just focus on that okay?” Nick tried.

Odin nodded. “Kebin’s coming.”

Nick smiled and finished unbuckling his young son from the carseat. “Absolutely. Kevin will be here soon and then everything will be perfect.”

Odin wrapped his arms around Nick’s neck and held on tight as he lifted him from the car. He squeezed the little body against him before he lowered him to the ground and grabbed their backpacks out of the back of the SUV. Handing them all to Heather, he watched as she took the kids and their things to Lauren.

His heart beat a little quicker as his breathing increased and the tears came back. Heather barely had the door shut on the car before Lauren was peeling out of the parking lot. Nick could hardly catch a glimpse of her, sunglasses covering most of her face and Nick felt a strange sense of fear grip him. His eyes flicked back to Heather who was shaking her head and making notes on her clipboard before she walked across the parking lot and got into her own vehicle. Nick sighed heavily and shut the trunk of the SUV before walking back to the driver’s seat. Climbing in he grabbed his phone and checked his messages. Still nothing from Kevin, he must have still been in his meeting. He tried not to let his disappointment get to him. This was turning out to be a really shitty day.

--

Kevin touched down in Vegas a little after nine. There had been turbulence that kept them in the air longer than he'd originally allotted time for. Thankfully he had figured in delays and knew if he could get a cab fairly quickly he would still have plenty of time to get to Nick's and take a shower before he got home from the police station. His mission was the only thing on his mind as he grabbed his carryon and headed out the doors of the airport.

The cab turned out to be easy and he settled back into the stale cushion of the backseat to relax and let his mind wander. He knew Nick had been disappointed with him that he wasn't available to have their call before drop off, and Kevin hated missing the time with the kids, but he was in the air at their scheduled time and there was just no way. The timing on this was too close. He had to be ready when Nick got back, he wanted to show Nick he was willing to move everything at a moments notice to be there with him. He still had that nagging feeling in the back of his mind, but tried hard not to think about it or what it meant. He could only hope Nick was as excited as he was to see him early.

When they arrived at the apartment, Kevin breathed a sigh of relief when Nick's car wasn't in its designated spot. It was nine forty five, he still had maybe a half an hour. He quickly paid the driver and took the stairs two at a time until he reached the door. He dug the keys out of his bag and entered the apartment, breathing in the scent of his lover as he stepped inside. He immediately felt calmer than he had in days.

He smiled as he walked through the rooms of the quiet apartment. It was messy, sure, but it was nothing like Nick had described, or perhaps he forgot that Kevin knew exactly the time of housekeeping he did and wasn't surprised by anything. He took his bag into the bedroom and placed it on the floor. He gazed around the room, his eyes landing in the bed and felt himself stir. He couldn't wait to be laying in the crumpled sheets with Nick's long, lean frame wrapped around him. He smiled and quickly stripped off, the need to wash the morning and the airport off of him was too strong to do anything else.

A very hot shower later he was back in the bedroom and debating if clothes were necessary. It was already after ten and Kevin knew Nick would be arriving home at any time. As much as he wanted soft and sweet and the opportunity to hold the younger man for hours and talk about nothing at all, the desire to feel their skin pressed tightly together won out.

He dried off and then went to work making the bed, knowing full well he intended on messing it up within the hour. He went back to the bathroom and brushed his teeth and combed his long hair, wringing out the extra water into the towel and debating on if he had time to dry it. Another glance at the clock said no, and he left the bedroom to get settled on the bed, trying to decide the best way to present himself. He felt a little silly by the whole thing, but he also knew how much Nick would appreciate the effort he made to allow himself to feel it. He felt the smile in his face widen as he heard a door open and shut further into the apartment.

--

He was angry, stressed, disappointed and scared. His anxiety was climbing and he wasn't sure how he was supposed to spend the rest of the day doing mundane chores without losing his mind. He missed the older man and it felt worse after their fight or whatever it was earlier in the week and now Kevin's evasiveness about talking today. He was curious what kind of meeting could pop up out of nowhere that would keep them from being able to talk this morning, but he was trying not to let it get to him. He could feel the physical as well as the emotional distance between them heavily and it only added to his bad mood. Nick wanted to call him on the way home from the police station, hear his voice offer words of love and comfort to make Nick forget all about this horrible week and focus only on the face that they would soon be together. He had even reached for his phone twice but talked himself out of it both times. He didn't want to take the risk of bothering or upsetting the other man with his neediness. Kevin was busy and when he had some spare time he would give Nick a call. At least that's what he kept telling himself.

Nick parked the car and got out. He trudged slowly up the stairs knowing the only thing waiting for him was a heap of laundry and a mess and a half in the kitchen. He hadn't even had time to clean up Saoirse's wonderful breakfast mess. He sighed heavily and opened the door. Once in the living room he surveyed the damage. It would definitely take a few hours, but after he did that there was a good chance he would still have time for a nap. The longer he looked the more his mind wondered. Maybe he could take the nap first. The mess wasn't going anywhere and there wasn't anyone but him here to be bothered by it. He smiled the first smile of the day. He would feel a lot better if he just went back to sleep and started this whole day over again. He kicked off his shoes and left them by the door. Heading down the hallway to the bedroom he pulled his shirt from his back. He started unbuckling his jeans and pushed the door open with his foot. His heart stopped momentarily when he saw the beautiful man lying in his bed. He blinked a couple of times, convinced his eyes were playing tricks on him.

"Kev?" he questioned, his voice beginning to tremble.

Kevin nodded and opened his arms for the younger man. Nick wasted no time and dove at the man in the bed, knocking them both backwards into the mattress with his landing. In no time, Kevin's arms were pulled up around him and holding him close. "I missed you so much babe. I just had to be here, I had to see and touch you and know you were okay." Kevin whispered against Nick's hair, the words falling into his ear and caressing his skin.

Nick hugged him tighter and buried his face against the side of Kevin's neck. "I'm so glad you did. I didn't even realize how much I needed you here with me until I saw you lying here. I missed you, oh God, I missed you."

Nick was shaking now, unable to keep the tears away. He cried happily against his lover and squeezed him tight, trying to get as close to him as possible.

"Let it all out baby," Kevin soothed. "I'm here now and you don't have to do anything alone."

They stayed like that for a couple of minutes, until the desire Kevin had felt earlier came back even stronger and he shifted them, allowing him the opportunity to push Nick down into the mattress. "Let me take care of you." he said softly. Nick's red rimmed blue eyes looked up at him adoringly and nodded. He was already almost naked and Kevin wasted no time in riding him of his jeans and underwear.

Once the blonde was spread out before him, Kevin sat back on his heels to admire the view. Nick's cheeks had a rosy red flush and his pretty mouth was wet from his tongue and just begging Kevin to lick and suck those pouty lips. His eyes traveled lower, watching the rapid rise and fall of Nick's chest as he tried to breath through his arousal and emotions. Kevin watched his belly inhale and exhale and wanted nothing more than to rub his face over the soft smooth flesh. As his eyes fell even lower, landing on the prize between Nick's legs, he felt himself grow weak at the sight. Nick was hard and leaking already, as his cock bobbed lazily against his abdomen. Kevin allows his eyes to rise and meet Nick's. He was biting that lip now, beautiful blue eyes dark with desire and Kevin wasted no time in getting reacquainted with every luscious inch of his lover.

He leaned down and kissed the pouty mouth, smiling as he heard Nick sigh heavily into the kiss. With his right hand, he allowed his fingers to drop lower, skirting over one nipple and then the other as he pinched and tickled his way down the other man. Never breaking the kiss, he wrapped his hand around the growing length as his tongue slid into Nick's mouth, licking and tasting every inch of the his fiancé. He moved his hand quickly, jerking Nick expertly as their bodies moved together. His own straining erection was caught between their thighs and he moved with determination, allowing himself to feel the sweet friction that every move made.

Nick was gasping now, a soft sexy pant that Kevin wanted to hear every day for the rest of his life. He watched as Nick threw his head back and arched against his hand. Knowing the other man was getting close but refusing to let it end this way, Kevin pulled back. He stopped all movement and released Nick's erection. Sitting back he watched the dazed expression on his lover's face as he blinked and opened his eyes.

"Wha?" he barely got out before Kevin's mouth was crashing back down in his, kissing him forcefully as he groped for the lube on the nightstand.

"Shh baby. Want to be inside you when you come. Do you want that?" Kevin asked, dropping his voice to that low octave he knew drew Nick wild.

He was rewarded with the thrust of Nick's hips up into his own and had to bite back the moan as Nick's dick collided into his. He was trying to keep his wits about him, but every touch from the other man kept his skin on fire. He growled and continued his movements, leaning down to nip and suck at the delicate skin of Nick's collarbone. He had long since discovered the hot spot on the younger man and knew it would only increase his need for release. He wasn't disappointed, as soon as he bit down Nick's arms were coming around him, one hand buried in the thick of Kevin's hair, holding his head in place while the other hand wrapped firmly around his waist.

Kevin continued to kiss the tanned skin, allowing his tongue to lap at it softly before biting down, just enough to get a gasp from the other man before continuing with kisses. Between them, Kevin began shifting his hips, just slightly enough to grind down against him, making Nick's breath come out in the short, gasping sounds that Kevin adored.

When his own need for release had built too much to ignore he pulled back, taking one last swipe at Nick's earlobe before sitting back on his heels and smiling down at his lover. "I missed you." he said huskily.

Nick's eyes were dark with desire and something else Kevin couldn't identify. "I missed you too." he choked out, his eyes watering.

Kevin instantly leaned down and placed kisses on each of Nick's cheeks and then both eyelids before brushing them gently across his mouth. Nick's tongue sought entrance to Kevin's mouth and he was more than willing to allow him, opening against the soft lips he stroked Nick's tongue as he slipped it inside. As the kiss deepened, Kevin felt himself start to lose control and knew he needed to stop. He broke the kiss and dropped one more for good measure on Nick's forehead before reaching over to the nightstand and digging around for the lube.

Back in between Nick's legs he applied the wetness to first his fingers and then the length of his cock. "Just want to feel you. No fingers. I can take it." Nick whispered in the quiet room.

"Are you sure baby?" Kevin asked gently, placing the tube down beside them.

Nick nodded furiously. "Yes. I've been thinking about you for days. I just need to feel you. Please."

Kevin gave him a smile. He could deny this man nothing. He moved closer and placed himself at Nick's entrance before gently pushing inside. The first contact of their bodies coming together after the week of separation was a feeling Kevin cherished. He loved to be right here in this place, deep inside his lover.

They moved slowly together, the unspoken need for intimacy was clear to both of them. Kevin watched in delight as Nick's body and beautiful face reacted to every movement, every thrust inside of him. Kevin did everything he could to chase away the ghosts of the week and all the insecurities both of them had dealt with and make their time together that much more intense. They came together, several moments later and Kevin wasted no time in wrapping the boneless man into his arms, determined to never let him go.