- Text Size +
Nick woke early the next morning. He rolled over in the spacious king sized bed and grabbed the baby monitor and his cell phone. It was barely seven and a quick glance at the monitor screen told him both kids were still sound asleep. He'd started out the evening sleeping with Odin in the living room so he could hang out with Maxwell and Mason but Odin refused to settle down and go to sleep so Nick had brought him upstairs. As soon as he was tucked in tight with no distractions he'd passed right out. By the looks of the monitor, he hadn't moved much since Nick had left him to sleep.

A smile crossed his features as he lay and thought about the night before. It had been an almost perfect evening. Both kids had loved the impromptu Halloween party and Odin was so excited to have someone other than Saoirse to play with for a while. Nothing made him happier than his kids being happy. It was Kevin that made them happy, made them all happy. That thought had been crossing his mind a lot lately, more than it ever had, which was saying something. Kevin had gone out of his way to make them feel safe, taken care of, included in something, a family. If he was being honest, that's all he ever wanted in life. To be part of a loving family where he could receive just as much love as he gave, and he had a lot to give.

Saoirse was still asleep too, but Nick suspected she would probably be up anytime. She had fallen asleep earlier than everyone else. The commotion of so many new people, the sugar and the fun of the party had tired her out quickly and she had gone to bed early. He smiled wider as he watched his baby girl sleep on the monitor. She was perfect and precious. The overwhelming feeling to protect her from everything, including her own mother was so strong he could almost taste it. After meeting with the lawyer the day before, his resolve to fight, to file for custody and divorce was steadfast.

He turned on his phone. Seven messages from Brian, one from Angel and an email from the lawyer with signed copies of the paperwork he'd filled out yesterday. He ignored the messages from Brian and quickly responded to his sister. She knew what was going on, but not where he was. He wanted to keep it that way in case Lauren tried to get the information out of her. Angel was a horrible liar and he knew she wouldn't be able to keep his secret, no matter how much she tried. It was easier to let her know everyone was okay so she wouldn't worry, but that was all she needed.

He couldn't believe the course his life had taken in just a few short weeks. He'd gone from being quarantined with his wife and kids, to finding out his wife's drinking problems had never gone away to semi-moving to Kentucky, to filing for custody and divorce. It was like a whirlwind. Add that to the fact that he was now sharing a house with Kevin. Kevin. He couldn't even let his mind go there right now. Too many other important things needed his thoughts to worry or think too much about his true reasons for coming here, to him.

That's also why he was ignoring that good for nothing best friend of his. Brian was doing nothing but making this whole situation worse. He wouldn't listen, he didn't understand. Couldn't or wouldn't understand, Nick just wasn't sure which. Sometimes he could be intentionally daft. Other times he used his obliviousness to try to force or push people into doing what he thought they should do based on his always present moral compass. This time Nick was finally doing what he wanted, or at least partially, and he wasn't going to have Brian get in the way or mess with his head.

He rolled onto his stomach as he gazed at his sleeping kids through the monitor. He loved spending time with them, making memories and making up for lost time of him being on the road more often than not. Briefly his mind began to race about what he would do when it was finally time for them to tour again. How was he going to provide a stable environment for two kids while touring the world all by himself. As quickly as the thoughts came he was able to calm himself. There was plenty of time to figure all of that out. There wasn't even an end in sight to their quarantine life for now. When the time came to make those kinds of decisions he would be more level headed and things with Lauren would be in a much different place. And of course, Kevin would be there to help him make the right decision. Kevin had promised he would be there every step of the way and Nick planned on holding him to that.

He was started out of his thinking by the sound of Saroise's cry. She was standing in the crib, crying and shaking the sides of the railing. He wondered quickly if he had secured it well enough when he put it together, but then remembered Kevin had double checked it, he was sure of it. She was safe, but probably wet and hungry. It was time to get up and start the day.

-

Odin woke up not long after Nick got Saoirse set up in the high chair with yogurt and a banana. Sitting him down at the table he wondered what he could make for breakfast that would feed everyone, but wouldn’t also destroy Kevin’s kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and gazed at the neat row of shelves. His fridge had never looked this orderly. There was a place for everything and it was positioned just so. Nick wondered how Kevin managed to keep it so organized with kids getting in and out of it all the time. He was always amazed when he opened any door to a closet, cabinet or pantry. He’d always known that Kevin was anal about being neat and tidy but he had no idea he kept things this immaculate all of the time. It always made him feel bad when he or one of the kids made a mess. He didn’t want to push too many buttons or overstay their welcome. He had no idea what he would do if Kevin told him they had to leave. He would be lost right now without the other man, honestly he was lost most of the time without him, but this time was completely different.

Nick jumped when he felt Kevin’s hand wrap around his fingers gripping the side of the refrigerator. “Whatcha looking at Nicky?” Kevin asked peering over his shoulder.

Nick shrugged. “Just trying to find something to make for everybody. I’m not a chef and we know how badly I messed up the pancakes the other day. I didn’t want to make another mess.”

Kevin waved him off and reached around him to the egg carton. “Nonsense. It wasn’t a big deal, we got it cleaned up and everyone had a nice breakfast. I don’t know what you’re still beating yourself up over it.”

Kevin grabbed a bowl and whisk and set them on the counter before returning to Nick at the fridge. He reached back inside, grabbing the milk, cheese and lunchmeat. In doing so he brushed up against the other man, causing Nick to inhale sharply and step back. “You okay?” Kevin asked, looking at him concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I just, I don’t want to screw this up and you make us leave.” Nick said honestly while he watched Kevin flitter around the kitchen.

Kevin grabbed a skillet and put it on the stove before turning back to look at the blonde. “Why would you think I would make you leave? I love having you here.” Kevin said, not meeting Nick’s eyes as he cracked the eggs into the bowl.

“Because Kev. Let’s face it, we’re a messy handful. We are loud and obnoxious and make messes all over your house that you then have to help clean up. We’re a pain in the ass.” Nick said, rolling his eyes.

Kevin stopped his movements and really took a look at the other man. Nick was trembling, just slightly. Most probably wouldn’t have been able to tell, but Kevin had memorized every detail of the other man years ago. He could tell instantly when something was amiss. “What’s the matter Nick?” he asked, serious this time.

“I was going to do that.” Nick said gesturing towards the breakfast Kevin was preparing. “But I don’t know how to do a lot of these basic things that come so easy for you. My mom never taught me how to cook and by the time I needed to feed myself there was always someone else around to do it, or places I could just order from. I don’t even know what the hell you’re making with that stuff.” he said pointing to the eggs and lunch meat.

“All I can think about is if I screw this up too and you kick us out, then it’s one more way I’ve failed my kids, because there is no way I can keep them safe, happy and fed all on my own right now. It’s just not possible. I’m trying Kev, shit. I’m trying so hard. I guess I didn’t realize, didn’t fully comprehend how serious this all was until I talked to the lawyer yesterday. He wants to file for sole custody of the kids. He wants to have a judge force her to enter treatment and complete the steps or sign over her rights. Shit got really real yesterday and I guess I am still just trying to process it all. I just, I can’t lose you too.” Nick said looking up into shocked green eyes.

Kevin didn’t know which statement to attack first. He hated that Nick had to face all this head on. When he’d separated from Kristin they had plenty of time to digest the situation and they methodically went through each step together, while there were hurt feelings, there hadn’t ever been any outright hostility. He wasn’t sure what he would have done, or how he would have felt if he had also been fighting for custody. He was thankful again that regardless of how badly he’d broken her heart with his confessions, that she was willing to put that to the side so they could still be great parents first.

“Baby, I am not going to kick you out, ever. You will never lose me.” Kevin said wiping his hands on a towel and coming around the side of the island. He sat in the counter high barstool and drew Nick closer to him. Taking one of Nick’s hands in his, he squeezed it. “I know this is hard, but I promise you, right here and now, it’s going to get easier. It really, really does. I’ve been through at least part of this and I’m in a much better place today than I was six months ago. You will never have to face any of this alone. I am right here. I am not going anywhere and neither are you.”

Nick moved in between Kevin’s legs and wrapped his arms around the older man’s neck. He hugged him tightly and sighed contentedly when Kevin squeezed him back. They stood that way for a few minutes. It proved to be too long for Odin, who started yelling about being hungry. Kevin laughed and pulled away. Sliding off the bar stool, he resumed his place at the island. “I am making omelets. It’s what I make every Sunday morning after the boys come home. They should be up in the next hour or so and will be expecting them. So even if you had started cooking I would still have had to cook these anyway.” He winked at Nick.

Nick smiled shyly and looked away. He checked on the baby and took the spoon and bowl from her. Giving her a book to keep her occupied he ruffled Odin’s hair and went to the sink to rinse out the dishes.

“As far as you not knowing anything,” Kevin started glancing over his shoulder at the younger man. “I will teach you anything you want to know. I know you didn’t grow up the same way the rest of us did and sometimes we, or at least I don’t, remember that there was a lot we learned that you never did. I’m sorry for that. If you want to help me with breakfast, I will show you how to do it.”

Nick was touched. It was nice to be acknowledged for his feelings instead of someone just pushing them to the side or trying to convince him the way he felt was incorrect. He’d only been 14 when they started touring Europe and he’d basically been on the go since. That didn’t leave anytime for cooking, cleaning or other various life skills that at the time, had been easier to pay someone to take care of rather than learning how to do it himself. He regretted that now, but he couldn’t change the past. If Kevin was willing to teach him, then he was willing, wanting to learn.