- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapters 11-20 of PBox were edited/updated this week.

Nick leaned against the partitioned wall as the other Backstreet Boys exited the meet and greet after him. He ran his hand through his hair and stared at the black curtain across from him. I’m exhausted…

Brian and Kevin gave him a brief nod, then continued walking toward their dressing rooms. AJ and Howie stopped in front of Nick.

Howie put a hand on his shoulder. “Are you okay?”

“Just tired... “ He shook his head. “I need to focus on the show, that should help. I always feel more like me up on the stage.”

Howie nodded. “Okay… If you need anything, you know where to find me.”

Nick smiled. “Thank you, Howie.”

AJ crossed his arms. “You can sleep it off afterward.”

Nick let out a short laugh. “Sleep, right…”

The room divider behind them rustled and they both turned to it.

“Hey, this is a restricted area,” AJ called.

A hand pulled open the partition and a blond head with blue eyes poked through. “Did you miss me, Backstreet?”

Nick clenched his fist. “Justin… What are you doing here?”

AJ leaned on Nick’s shoulder with his elbow. “Don’t you have something of your own to work on?” He pulled down his sunglasses and leaned forward, “Or are you all done crying rivers?”

Justin scowled and put his hand on the partition’s frame. “There isn’t any point in crying.” He fumbled in the pocket of his jeans as he spoke. “Not when I have this.”

He produced a small, sparkling crystal vial with a bubbling and steaming green liquid inside.

“Juice?” Nick cocked his head.

Justin let out a subdued cackle.

Nick folded his arms. “So not juice… Are you feeling alright? What are you doing here? Crashing?”

He sneered. “Hardly. This is magic.”

“What?” AJ grabbed Nick’s shoulders and the two laughed.

“This world is a lie. The things you think you’ve experienced, the people you know, the places you’ve been. None of it is real.” He held up the vial. “And this will show you that.”

Nick continued to laugh. “I’m sure the rest of NSYNC thinks you’re crazy. Seriously, what are you doing here?”

Justin smirked. “Bringing things back to before her wishes.”

Nick shook his head. Wishes? Whose wishes?

He and AJ turned to each other.

“He seems a little unhinged,” AJ whispered and bobbed his head toward Justin.

“Security?” Nick whispered back.

AJ nodded.

Justin lowered his head and let out a short laugh. “Oh, I almost forgot. I brought a couple guests to enjoy this special show.” He pushed the partition against the wall with a snap. Next to his feet, Minako and Renee sat back-to-back with their hands bound to each other. While Renee still wore her Backstreet Boys shirt and jeans, Minako had changed into a small black dress with ruffled sleeves. “You may recognize them, they’re old friends.”

Minako and Renee looked up to Justin. “Let us go! Why are you doing this?!” Minako shouted as she pulled at the ties.

“It’s not for you, it’s for her. You just happen to be a liability.” Justin mumbled as he kicked Minako in the back forcefully.

Minako and Renee tumbled to the ground. Renee locked eyes with AJ and whispered, “Help us.” Minako's body went limp from the force, knocking Renee’s head against the concrete floor.

AJ stepped forward. “Justin, what are you doing?! Those are our fans!”

“Is that all they are?” Justin screwed the top off the vial.

“Of course they’re our fans! One is wearing our shirt!” Nick shouted as he rushed over to the two girls and pulled them toward where AJ was standing. He kneeled down and began untying the binds from their wrists. Is Justin okay? He seems strange even for him… And these girls… What is he doing? He heard the crinkle of glass shattering and turned toward Justin.

Justin grabbed his throat and crumpled into himself. The vial lay scattered in pieces at his feet.

Kevin pushed back a black curtain across from the partition. “AJ, Nick, are you okay? I heard a crash and Howie said he left you back here...” He stopped. “Justin?”

Justin looked up at Kevin. For a moment, his blue eyes flashed emerald. “Holy Box, as the usurper of memories I call to you!”

AJ snapped his sunglasses from his face and stared at Justin in disbelief. “What?”

Nick narrowed his eyebrows as he went back to untying the girls’ wrists. I have to help them! I can’t get distracted by whatever weird thing he’s doing when he’s hurting them...

“Imbued with the cursed powers of all demons, I return your will and seal!”

Kevin gaped at Justin, then turned and saw Nick struggling with the binds on their wrists and rushed to help him. He kneeled down and caught Nick’s eye quickly as he whispered, “This is insane. We need to leave and get security.”

Nick nodded.

The binds dropped from Minako and Renee’s wrists and the arms of the two girls slumped to the floor. Nick shook their shoulders and whispered, “Hey… Can you hear me?” Only silence answered him.

“For the sake of the Devil and God, ascend from us and rescind your powers to unleash evil into the world!”

Kevin picked up Renee and stood gingerly. “AJ, take her please.” AJ held out his arms as Kevin laid her across them, but he continued to stare at Justin bewilderedly.

A small, rectangular gold box appeared in Justin’s hands. He cradled the bottom with one hand and lowered the matching lid toward the box. His malicious sneer glinting in its silver glow. “Defile our prayers…”

Nick continued to shake Minako until Kevin bent down and slung her over his shoulder. He then stared up at Justin. This seems bad… Weird… But bad…

“...thus be summoned and sealed!” Justin snapped the lid of the box closed. An eerie green aura seeped from the closed lid.

Nick stood and shrank back, but continued to stare. Weird, bad, and creepy!

“Nick, AJ, stop staring! Go!” Kevin’s voice boomed through his thoughts.

AJ nodded and began hurrying toward the curtain.

“Stop!”

The three men froze and faced Justin in surprise.

His eyes glowed a deep emerald. “I need her.” He strode toward AJ and reached for Renee.

“AJ, no!” Nick shouted. He sprinted toward Justin, ramming him with his shoulder and knocking him off balance.

Justin began laughing as he put his hands on the floor to catch himself.

“What?” Nick stepped back in surprise.

Justin shut his eyes. “Kiresasemasu.”

Justin began growing with a bright green light as he was enveloped by a pale smoke.

Nick let out a gasp as he backed toward the curtain.

Kevin pushed AJ through the curtain and AJ disappeared down the corridor. Kevin then turned to Nick and started to push him toward the curtain.

“But…”

“We have to go!” Kevin hissed as he pushed him again.

A silver boot stepped out of the smoke, rising to the knee where it met a metallic emerald plated armor covering his waist and hips. The smoke cleared slowly, revealing the form of a tall man with a billowing emerald cape. As the smoke cleared, the rest of the emerald plated armor came into view. The man’s face remained covered by a silver helmet with an emerald plume at the crown, but his blue eyes could be seen through the slit. They glowed with an emerald tint.

“Justin?” Nick questioned.

He removed the helmet, revealing the blond hair beneath it and the horns nestled among the strands of fair hair. He smirked as he pulled a sword from the sheath at his waist. “Alexander, bring the priestess back! I need her.”

Kevin pushed Nick through the curtain, his voice gravely serious. “Run.”

Justin shook his head. “Why are you making this difficult and running with the priestesses, Kevin?”

Kevin pushed through the curtain, holding one arm tightly around Minako’s waist as he began running from the room.

Justin followed them through the curtain and sprinted after Kevin. He pursued Kevin ruthlessly and relentlessly, his sword pointed in front of him ready to strike.

Kevin scanned the path in front of him. They’re not here. Nick and AJ must have split in different directions, so they should be safe. He rounded a corner and leaned against the wall, lowering Minako so that he carried her in both arms. “What does he want with you?” he whispered.

Minako stirred and opened her eyes. “What?...”

“I’ll find security and get you somewhere safe. Don’t worry.”

Minako’s eyes grew wide. “Look out!” She thrust out her hand quickly.

The flash of a blade interrupted their conversation and Kevin leaped backward, then began running again. The empty corridor seemed endless even though it had been bustling with the movement of concert preparation only moments earlier. Where was everyone? Up ahead, another place to hide. He turned over his shoulder, just moments behind… Is hiding enough?

Justin leaped in the air, his sword towering above his head. “Kevin, do not run with her anymore! I had her!”

Kevin ducked behind the equipment pallet.

“Kevin…”

He looked down at the girl in his arms, her black dress had become white and was covered in gemstones. He winced a little. It hurts… in my heart...

She winced as she touched one of the gemstones at her collar, pulled, and held it tightly in her hand. She shut her eyes quickly and a webbed barrier sprung around them as Justin’s sword swung down on them from the top of the equipment pallet. When it made contact, it flung him backward.

“What?” Kevin’s eyes grew wide.

She winced again, but her weak smile radiated warmth as she grasped his hand at her knee and placed the small, glowing gemstone in it. The glow of the stone brightened and surrounded them, fading her smile into the sapphire light.

As it dissipated, her smile became warm again. “Kevin…”

He reappeared in a short white tunic and white pants with a sapphire ribbon at his waist and sapphire shoes. His pale wings rose behind him and his tail whipped back and forth. His light horns rose from between his dark hair. A warm sapphire glow surrounded his hands.
Minako reached out and touched the barrier, wincing as she did.

“Does it hurt?” His gruff voice filled the barrier. “I can heal it.”

Minako’s eyes began to well up with tears. “Kevin…” In an instant she embraced him. “I thought we would never see each other again.”

He returned her embrace with his arms and cradled her body with his wings. “You said we had somewhere wonderful to go. You had to know it was here and now.”

Minako laughed weakly. “I did, then… I forgot. That was the consequence for making sure you could all stay here.”

“I woke up and I was in a taxi headed to a radio station. Nothing like the castle… It was surreal…” His wings lifted. “And I began to forget, but then today Justin appeared and became his other self with magic or power… or a curse. And a human is no match for a demon.”

“But you saved me…”

Kevin shook his head. “No, you saved me…” He furrowed his eyebrows. “You broke me out with my heart.”

She put her hands to her heart. “I was keeping it safe in here without knowing I had it. The perfect security to keep you all safe.” She smiled.

“But you said you forgot, how did you break?”

Minako raised her wrist to his eyes so he could see it. “With the cut. When I put out my hand and told you to look out... He cut the threads I tied up.”

Kevin touched her heart and ran his hand over her wrist, the blue glow spilling from his hands. “You’re safe.”

She smiled as the cut across her wrist closed. “Kevin, the others… Are they safe?”

Kevin narrowed his eyes and looked to the top of the barrier. “It seems Justin remembers our tactics and has run off. We need to find them soon.”

Minako nodded determinedly. "He had some men corner us outside our hotel. He was after Renee, I was just in the same place. Where is she?"

"With AJ."

"Then we have to find AJ first!" I know we do, but… She lowered her head.

Kevin set her feet on the ground and frowned. "He does a little."

Minako looked up at him quizzically.

"You’re thinking about Nick? He remembers you a little. He's been having a dream for months where he screams in the dark… for you… But he doesn’t remember that it’s you he’s screaming for."

Minako put her hands to her heart. "Then that voice in my dreams… It was his… My wish..." Nick… She shook her head and clenched her fist. "We have to keep Renee safe. AJ first!" The barrier around them disintegrated.

Kevin nodded and pointed away from the equipment pallet. “This way!”

~*~

AJ sat in a gray chair in his dressing room and ran his hands across his face. Like all the other makeshift rooms in this arena, it was made from temporary partitions and black curtains. “Okay… that was weird…”

“AJ, stop staring! Go!” “AJ, no!”

He chuckled to himself, “At least they always have my back.” He peered at the girl on the ground. “What did you do that this is happening?” He clenched his fist. And why do I feel like I’m more involved than it seems?

He stared into the space in front of him. It’s quiet… Did Kevin and Nick find our security? And that other girl… He put his hand to his chest. It hurts to think about her… Why?

A light clanking sound brushed past his dressing room.

Footsteps…

He stood quickly and quietly, like a spectre, and gingerly picked up Renee’s limp body. He tiptoed into the crevice behind his clothing rack. Don’t breathe… Don’t make a sound…

A clawed hand pushed aside the curtain and the emerald plume poked into the room.

Don’t breathe… Don’t wake up…

The curtain closed and the hand and plume disappeared from sight.

AJ quietly let out the breath he had been holding, but remained cowering behind the clothing rack. What if he comes back? What if he’s waiting for me to move or make a noise? What if he’s just outside the curtain? What did he want with those girls?

“AJ?!” a quiet voice whispered.

AJ’s eyes grew wide before he peered back through the clothing.

Brian stepped into the room.

AJ let out a sigh of relief and pushed his hand through the clothing on the rack. “Brian!” he whispered back.

Brian quickly tiptoed over to the rack and nestled in beside AJ as he made room in the space.

Brian turned to him quickly and continued to whisper, “AJ, there was--” His eyes grew wide. “Why are you hiding back here with a girl in our shirt anyway?”

“Brian, there’s--”

“Right! I was in my dressing room and heard suspicious footsteps outside, so I hid behind the chair and when they were gone, I peaked out and there was a… soldier with a sword! Did you see it? What is going on?!”

“It’s not just a soldier… It’s got horns! It was… Justin… But now it’s… horned Justin?”

“Justin? NSYNC Justin? Why?”

“He showed up backstage with two girls and drank this weird liquid and then the horns and armor appeared on him. Kevin made me take one of the girls and he took the other one. Nick knocked him down, but I don’t know where they are now.”

“This is insane. We need to find our security.”

They heard the clanking sound brush past the dressing room again.

Brian rose his finger to his lips.

AJ nodded. Don’t breathe… Don’t wake up…

~*~

“Hey, who are you?!” a male voice called.

Kevin turned around. “Howie!”

Howie stepped back in alarm and confusion. “What are you?!” He turned to Minako. “Who are you?!”

Minako turned to Kevin. “Do we do this the fast way?”

Kevin nodded. “Yes, fast.”

Howie put up his hands and started backing away. “Wait, wait… I don’t want to be involved in… You look like Kevin...”

Minako touched a gem at her collar and pulled it off her dress. It glowed as she held it toward him. “Howie… here…”

Howie stepped back and put his hand to his heart as he let out a small choke. It hurts… Hearing her say my name… Why?

She gently put her hand to his shoulder. “I know it’s hurting and I know it’s hard to explain…” She pulled his hand toward her. “But please just take this, it will get easier.” She dropped the stone into his palm.

It began glowing brightly and swallowed them in a bright sapphire light.

Howie reappeared in his sapphire calf-length tunic, cream pants and sash, and sapphire shoes. He smoothed his tunic, then gripped Minako’s hand. “Pandora…”

“You know we’re past that, Howie…” She smiled. “We always have been to me.”

He pulled her into a hug. “Minako, we are glad that you are safe here.”

She returned his hug. “You too. I’m happy we can see each other again.” She pulled away. “Oh! But we have to hurry and stop Justin! He kidnapped Renee and I, and Kevin said she was with AJ, so we…”

Howie nodded. “Understood. Quickly.”

The three of them continued running down the hallway.

~*~

Nick peered out into the backstage area of the arena from beneath a raised equipment pallet.

He’s gone… What is going on? He had horns after he drank that liquid… And that sword and clothing was weird… Why was he here anyway and with those two girls? I didn’t know he was like that… First, I had the dream twice and then this…

He shuddered.

I wonder if Kevin found our security… Where are they? What if Justin did something to them? What if he stabbed them? Will we be able to get out of this alive? This isn’t how I expected today to go...

He heard a padding against the ground. Footsteps?

He turned toward the noise and saw Minako rushing by.

The girl in the black dress… She’s okay… He breathed a quick sigh of relief. Although her dress is white now? That’s weird...

She stopped and turned back toward the way she had come from. “Where do you think he could be?”

Two other pairs of feet clad in sapphire shoes stopped in front of her. The clothes are strange, but that looks like Howie… Nick focused on the other figure. That looks like Kevin, but… Why does he have wings?! A tail?! Horns?! He looks like whatever Justin turned into! What is going on?!

“What if he went to the dressing rooms?” Howie asked.

“What about Brian? Should we find him?” Kevin crossed his arms.

Minako lowered her head. “I hope they’re both still okay… And Renee… And Nick…”

Nick gripped his chest at his heart and let out a quiet grunt. It hurts…

Howie turned to both sides. “Did you hear something? Perhaps he is close.”

Kevin frowned. “We should hurry.”

Minako nodded. “Right. Howie, where are the dressing rooms?”

Howie and Kevin turned and started running, Minako close on their heels.

Nick lay his head on the ground. Why did it hurt so much when she said my name? It wasn’t like getting injured or having heartburn… It’s like an overwhelming sadness. Why?

The clanking footsteps passed by him again.

He’s heading the way they went. Do I warn them? Or...

~*~

The clanking footsteps brushed past the dressing room again.

“He’s relentless,” Brian whispered.

“Do you think Kevin talked to our security yet?”

“Should we try to?”

AJ shook his head. “I don’t know…”

The clanking footsteps neared the room again.

AJ and Brian froze.

A clawed hand brushed open the black curtain again, but this time, he entered the room. He began pushing items around and stepped in front of the clothing rack. He pushed the clothing aside and smirked. “Found you. Alexander, return her.”

AJ and Brian shrank back against the partition. Justin reached for Renee, grabbed her leg, and began pulling. AJ tried to pull back, but lost his grip and Justin managed to pull Renee through the rack. He set her on the ground and then pulled his sword from its sheath and aimed it toward them. “Now… What to do with you two?”

He stepped toward the rack, but a bright light shot toward him. He gripped his chest and collapsed to his knees. He let out a low growl and turned toward the curtain. “Sapphire Priestess… You’re still holding on to their powers…”

Minako clenched her fist, “Justin, leave them alone!”

Justin stood and grabbed Renee. “I have what I came for. Killing you would just be added joy.”

Minako ran toward him. “Give her back!”

Justin stepped back and growled. “While you have all of your demons’ powers at once, you are a liability…” He smirked and pulled his sword from its sheath then stabbed it into the ground. “Kiresasemasu.” A green smoke began surrounding him again, then burst into a column of green light. When it dissipated, Justin and Renee were gone.

Minako froze at the cut in the ground and clenched her shaking hands into fists. “Renee!”

AJ and Brian stepped through the clothing rack.

“What is going on?!” Brian asked.

“You’re okay... but you changed?” AJ started.

Minako turned to them, a few tears falling down her cheeks. “Brian… AJ… I’m so glad you’re safe.”

Brian and AJ both gripped their chests and winced.

Minako put her hands to her collar. “I know, I’m sorry… I’m sorry it’s hurting you.” She pulled the glistening gems from her collar. “Brian… thank you for letting me borrow your power, but take it back.” She held the gem toward him. “And AJ… I want you here from the beginning so we can all be together. Have this.”

AJ and Brian both stepped back.

“It will be quicker to explain this way, I promise.”

AJ shook his head. “This sounds crazy, but…” He clenched his fist. “I’ll do it. You say my name and it hurts, but I feel… incomplete when I hear you say it… And I think you can change that.”

“AJ…” Brian turned to him.

AJ let out a breath. “Brian, you grab it too. Trust me.”

Brian shook his head, but then nodded. “Okay, I always trust you.”

“One…”

Brian nodded. “Two…”

“Three.” They both grabbed the gems at the same time. They glowed brighter and swallowed them in a sapphire light.

AJ reappeared in his bright red tunic with black pants and shoes. Brian wore his white tunic with the blue sash over blue pants and his tall white boots. Both of their wings flared from their backs.

Brian gripped his staff. “Minako…”

She put her hands to her heart, her dress shimmered and returned to its original black color.

Brian dropped his staff and wrapped her into a tight hug. “Minako, you… survived.”

AJ wrapped them both in a hug. “And found us.”

“I thought I’d never see you both again. I’m so glad!” She held them both close, tears streaming down her face. “I’m so sorry it took so long.”

AJ tightened his grip. “No… It’s okay… You found us here…”

Brian gave her one more tight squeeze and pulled back from their embrace. “Is everyone else… okay?”

Minako lowered her head. “Kevin kept me safe from Justin and we found Howie. And you two are safe, but… Renee’s gone, and...” She looked back up at them. “Where is Nick?”

AJ gripped her shoulder. “I’m sure he’s fine.”

Brian picked up his staff. “Minako, he’s trying so hard to remember you. We’ll find him. Let’s go!”

Chapter End Notes:
Readers already familiar with Pandora’s Box probably saw this chapter title that seemed suspiciously similar to PBox’s “Chapter Forty-Nine: Nozomeru” and thought “Something bad’s about to happen,” “Awesome,” or both. Kiresaseru (pronounced: kee-ray-sah-say-roo, you may remember from PBox that the r is more of a soft r sound -- an alveolar flap -- similar in execution to how American English speakers would form the double t in “better” or a Spanish r without the trill) is the plain causative form of the class two verb kire (pronounced: kee-ray, see explanation of r sounds above), “to cut.” In the story, Justin uses “Kiresasemasu,” the polite form (pronounced: kee-ray-sah-say-mah-soo; see explanation of r sounds above; you may remember from PBox that u after s is often muted, and especially at the end of verbs, so you wouldn’t necessarily pronounce the “oo,” but you can). Because, while Justin’s a villain in this tale, he knows he needs to politely ask someone or something to allow him to cut up sacred binds.