- Text Size +
Chapter 2

Nick shot up from his bed. He was covered in sweat and his breath was labored. His heart was pounding and his hands were shaking. His eyes drifted over to his clock, it was 9AM. The sun was shining into his room brightly and the birds were singing as if everything was normal. Nothing was normal. He had just awoken from a dream that was unlike any he had ever had. Nick whiped the sweat from his head and then walked into the bathroom and started the shower. He sighed when he heard the phone ring. He walked back into the bedroom and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Nick, whats up?" Brians voice came, cheerful as usual.

"Yo man, I gotta tell you about this dream that I had last night. It's really freaky," he answered as he walked back into the bathroom and shut off the water.

"Alright, I'm all ears man."

"Okay it was all at a wedding.. mine," Nick started.

"Yours?" Brian asked.

"Yeah mine. That's not that point. Anyway, you guys were all there and everything. The girls name was Natalie. It looked like a great day ya know? I could even smell the flowers this dream was so real. Anyway, we all went to the alter to get started right and then I felt kinda sick so I ran back to the bathroom and I heard these three poping sounds which turned out to be gun shots. I ran to where the girl, Natalie, was and she'd been shot."

"Dude, you need to stop eating frozen pizza before you go to sleep at night."

"I don't do that any more but I don't think that would have made me have a dream that was so vivid. I told you, I even smelt the flowers!!"

"Did you go out drinking last night or something?" Brian asked.

"No Brian! I was home the whole night," he answered, "I don't know what the fuck this was all about but it seemed too real for it to be good."

"Nick it was a dream. Sometimes they feel real. I mean come on, you getting married? Not anytime soon, sorry man, but you know it's true. It's just a werid dream."

"Yeah well, it just seemed to weird for me to dismiss like it's nothing," Nick answered.

"Come on Nick, you mean you've never had a dream that seemed real before?"

"Not as real as this one. Bri you would really think it was real. Just work with me here alright?" Nick said to him.

"Whatever Nick," Brian answered, "well, I'll talk to you later alright? You're still going to AJ's house party thing?" Brian asked.

"Yeah."

"Alright so I'll see ya there," Brian said to him and then hung up the phone. Nick sighed and then walked back into the bathroom and started his shower again.

*Later*
Nick pulled his car into AJ's drive way and shut off the engine. He sighed and stepped out of the car and started to walk towards AJ's house. He could already hear the music. It sounded like everyone was already having fun. When Nick reached AJ's backyard, AJ walked right over to him.

"Hey Nick how's it goin'?" AJ said.

"Alright I guess," he answered.

"You guess? What's up man?"

"Nothin. Just a little tired. I was having trouble sleeping last night that's all," Nick lied. It wasn't a complete lie so he was happy with what he had told him.

"Alright. Hey, I want you to meet someone," AJ said taking Nicks arm.

"AJ what are you doing?"

"Introducing you to a friend of mine. I think you two would really hit it off. Come on, if you don't like her, you don't have to talk to her again. But if you do, then well, go right ahead and do something about it," AJ explained to him.

"Come on, I don't know."

"What's the harm in meeting her Nick? You've gotten good at brushing people off what's the difference. She's a girl you don't know just like all the others. So again I raise the question, what's the harm?"

"Fine," Nick reluctantly answered.

"Thank you."

"But you'd better not do this to me again. I can meet girls on my own, I don't need any help alright?" Nick told him.

"Alright Nick. Lets just go talk to this girl already." Nick nodded and they walked off towards the other end of AJ's backyard.

"Lee," AJ called and the girl turned, with a wide smile on her face. Nick looked at her and held back a gasp when he realized it was her, the girl from his dream, "This is Nick. Nick this is Natalie."

"Hi Nick," she said as she extended her arm for a hand shake. Nick nerviously reached out to greet her.

"Hi," he answered softly. Her smile remained bright on her face as he took her hand back from Nicks. He forced a smile to appear on his face. This couldn't be happening he thought. That was her, the girl he had dreamt about. The girl he dreamt he would marry. Down to every last detail, even her name.

"Don't talk much do you?" she asked.

"Huh? Sorry, I was kinda distracted. I didn't get much sleep last night, that's all," Nick answered trying to remain calm and in control of the situation.

"Well, I'm going to leave you guys alone," AJ said as he walked away from them.

"So Nick," she said to him, "is there something on your mind that you care to talk about?"

"No why?" he asked nerviously. How was he supposed to explain to her that he had saw her in a dream last night and they were about to get married but then someone shot her. Thats not really an ice breaker or a conversation getter.

"I don't know. Just trying to get a conversation going," she said. Nick let out his breath. He didn't know that he was even holding it.

"Oh sorry, I'm just a little jumpy. Forgive me."

"Yeah," she answered.

"Thank you."

"So Nick, tell me about yourself. How old are you? What do you like to do and stuff like that," she replied.

"Well, I'm 22. I love music and things like that. I play drums, I've been doing that since I was like 12-years-old so I've got a lot of practice. Um, I have four younger sibilings..." Nick said trying to think what to say to her. She smiled at him, seeing that he was having trouble talking to her.

"I'm 24 orginally from California but I moved to Florida because I felt like there was something out here calling me. I haven't found what that is yet, but I just know I'm supposed to be out here. As far as interests, music. Thats a big part of my life. Poetry, I love to write it and read it. I find it rather comforting to be able to put so many different emotions into words and have people relate to them. As far as any brothers or sisters, I don't have any. I'm an only child."

"So how'd you meet AJ?" Nick asked.

"Through some friends. I got invited to some party that AJ was at too and we started talking and we became friends."

"Cool. He didn't try to hit on you though did he?" She laughed at Nicks comment and smiled.

"No, he had a girlfriend. He made that clear from the beginning. Which I find respectable. I mean there aren't really a lot of guys that are gonna say, 'hey ya know what, I've got a girl so this is just a innocent conversation' you know?"

"Yeah, AJ's cool like that. Especailly when it comes to someone he loves."

"I can tell. I've only known him a couple months now but he had a good heart, but I wanna know more about you Nick," she said to him.

"There isn't really much to know about me."

"Come on, you aren't just some lost soul Nick. There's something to you. There's something to everyone," she told him, "Every person has a story. So Nick, what's yours?"

"I really don't have one. I've been with the group for most of my life and that's mainly what it's been all about. There really isn't too much about me other than that."

"You have to have interests!" she said jokingly.

"Of course I do!"

"Then tell me what they are," she said sweetly. Nick looked at her for a moment. He was still kind of nervious about talking to her. After all she was the girl from his dream.

"The ocean," he said as he finished his thought, "that's something I've loved for a really long time. It's just always so beautiful. I love to take my boat out to like no where and just sit out there. It's a great place to think. You're away from the rest of the world. There's nothing out there to bother you."

"That wasn't so hard now was it?" she joked when he finished.

"Yeah it was, I feel awful light headed," Nick joked back. Bringing his hand to his forehead. She laughed and he smiled. Damn it, he thought, I like her. What was he supposed to do if that dream came back? There was something about it that made Nick feel like he should pay attention to it. Though he really wasn't sure what exactly he had to look for.