- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Nick pulled the key out of the ignition of his car after he'd pulled into his driveway. He let his head rest on the seat and shut his eyes. He had really hit it off well with Natalie. She was an amazing woman, but the dream was constantly with him. Maybe it was just some stupid nightmare, but then how was he able to imagine the woman that he'd just spent the day talking to? Was it purely coienceidence or was it trying to tell him something?

Finally, Nick opened the door to his car and walked into his house through the door in the garage. It was just all to strange that he would dream up this woman and meet her the next day. He walked into the kitchen and as he walked near the phone he stopped. Then he reached over towards the phone and dialed in a number that had become familiar to him over the years.

"Hello?" Brians voice came.

"Bri," Nick said, "I know you're going to think I'm nuts but just listen to me."

"Alright I'm listening," Brian replied. He couldn't wait to hear what this was all about.

"Remember that dream I told you about? Well I met her!! I met the girl in the dream. She was the girl I was with at AJ's party. Brian I tell you, her name was the same, she had the same personality, it was her," Nick spat out as quickly as he could.

"What?" Brian answered, completely doubting what Nick had just told him.

"Dude I'm serious. Her name was Natalie remember I told you? Well the girl I met today, her name was Natalie."

"Nick, that was just a coincidence. Natalie isn't really a rare name ya know."

"Brian, come on. This has got to mean something. Someone's trying to tell me something."

"What the hell are you talking about? Just because you had some silly dream? It was nothing. I mean I would understand if the girl you dreamt name's was, oh I don't know something that was just totally wacky, then you met a girl with the same name, then maybe I might go along with you, but come on this isn't something that's all that strange."

"To you it might not be, but to me it is. This is something just too crazy for me to ignore," Nick replied.

"Nick this is just crazy. There is no way that whatever you dreamt is going to happen. That's just impossible," Brian told Nick. His voice was stern, telling Nick that he wasn't up for a debate about it.

"Brian look, what if you had a dream about meeting Leighanne before you met her?"

"Then I guess I would call her my dream girl."

"Now what if that dream girl was murdered?"

"Nick please. Was this girl that you met today murdered?"

"No Brian but that's because in my dream she was killed at our wedding. We didn't get married today."

"You believe you're going to get married anytime soon?"

"It's possbile Brian. It's like you told me, when you know you know right? How do you know I won't 'know' soon?"

"Nick you're talking crazy man."

"Okay, how 'bout this, since you don't want to believe I'm not going to get married soon, in the dream we're the ages that we are now so that I would know what she looks like now. Ya know, so I know what's coming and who to look for?"

"Now, maybe we should get you some help. Maybe you need someone to talk to..."

"I'm not crazy! You've got to believe me! I have a strange feeling about all of this. Something is going to happen. Maybe she won't be murdered, but something is going to happen to her and I'll be damned if I let that happen," Nick yelled.

"Don't let this get to you. It's just a dream," Brian said hoping that Nick would finally give in, though he knew that was a long shot.

"No Brian. This has happened to me before," Nick confessed.

"What?" Brian asked, confussed.

"I've had dreams that have come true before. It's always been minor things. Like fights and stuff like that. Nothing that could be a matter of life and death. This is something that's going to happen and I know it."

"Are you tyring to tell me that you have some kind of superpowers and you can see into the future?" Brian asked, not the slightest bit convinced.

"No. It's not like that Brian. It's never the whole thing. Just a little piece of it as long as I'm somehow invovled and can see what happened. I usually forget about it until it's in the middle of happening."

"Are you feeling alright Nick? I think you might be coming down with something," Brian said after a moment. He wasn't sure what to say about what Nick was telling him.

"Why do you think somethings wrong with me?? Granted, yeah I pull a lot of pranks and I know this sounds crazy but you have to believe that this is something that is important. If you aren't going to help me figure all this out then I'll do it myself."

"Nick try to think about this from my side. You're calling me up telling me that you had a dream that a girl you just met was murdered. It sounds really crazy even you have to admit. Would you believe me if I called you up and started saying this stuff to you?"

"Yeah I would Brian. You know why? Because you're my best friend and I believe what you tell me because you wouldn't lie about anything that was serious. Why would I be any different? I know this sounds weird but it's something that I know in my heart that's going to happen. Why don't you believe me?"

"I'm sorry Nick. This isn't something that's normal. I mean I would help you if you got a phone call from someone threating to kill this girl, but you're just going by a dream. How do we know that this is actually going to happen?"

"How do you know it's not?"

"I'm going to hang up now Nick. I don't really feel like fighting about this."

"Why because it's not important to you? Just me?"

"No because this is so stupid."

"So what I believe in is stupid?"

"That's not what I said."

"It's what you meant though am I right?"

"Is this really worth fighting over?"

"Yes because it's what I believe in and I was always thought to fight for what you believe in no matter what anyone else says, not even the people closest to you."

"Yeah well think about this Nick, sometimes the people around you can see the situation a bit more clearly than you can and they're just looking out for you because they don't want you to get hurt and that's what I'm doing. I don't want you to run around looking for answers to something that's not going to happen."

"Don't I know what's best for myself?"

"Not if you think that what you're doing is best. It's going to bring you a lot of pain and confussion."

"I'm confussed right now Brian. All I want is answers! When I find them I'll be fine, but until then, it's going to haunt me."

"Look Nick, do what you feel like you need to do. I'm not going to stop you, but just make sure that you don't get in over your head. I don't want anything to happen to you man. Especially if this does turn out to be nothing."

"It's not 'nothing' Brian. I know it," Nick told him and then slammed down the phone.