- Text Size +
Time was quickly going by. A month had passed since the late phone call Alyssa had made. Many changes had happened. Her and Nick were oficially back together, though they were still not living in the same house. Soon though, that would change. They had talked about it, and when they were both fully ready and willing to continue with their marriage, then they would live together.

Though things were going great, Alyssa was hiding a secret. One she had been aware of for only a few weeks, but it was eating her up inside. To put things bluntly, as she'd told Kerri, she believed she was pregnant. This was something neither she nor Nick needed at that praticular moment. Things were finally working out and this was the one thing they were unprepared for.

Kerri had offered to take Alyssa to the doctors, but Alyssa refused, stating that she would take herself. So, she made an appointment with a local OBGYN for later in the week. For the time being, she wouldn't think on it, she would go about the rest of the week as if nothing was wrong.

Her and Nick had a date later that night. He was taking her to Charlie's, a beautiful restaurant across town. It was her favorite place. It was where he had proposed to her. She remembered that day very vividly. He had the waiter place the engagement ring in her wine glass and bring it out during dessert, where they ate a scrumptous piece of cheese cake, another of her favorite things. She couldn't believe it when she looked into the glass. She nearly choked on the liquid when sipping at it. To say that she was estatic that night would be the understatement of the century.

Alyssa walked into the bathroom that connected to her bedroom and ran a tub full of water, adding lavender scented bubble bath to the warm water. She stripped of her work clothes and sank into the welcoming water. She let out a sigh as the aroma and the warm water made her relax. She relaxed for sometime before she scrubbed her body clean and washed her hair. Getting out, she wrapped herself in a plush, comfortable towel and stood in front of the mirror. She reached for her brush to straighten out her hair. She was so lost in thought that she jumped when someone knocked on the bathroom door. A minute later it opened to reveal Kerri on the other side with a telephone in her hand. Alyssa smiled her thanks and closed the door back once Kerri left. The cold air was trying to get into the warm bathroom, making her start to shiver.

She placed the receiver to her ear. "Hello?" She asked.

"Hey mommy!" An excited Tyler yelled into the phone.

"Hey there, what are you doing?"

"Nothing much, daddy's fixing me a sandwich. Guess what kind!?!"

"Umm, turkey and cheese?" She asked, knowing that wasn't it. He hated that certain combination with a passion.

"Noooo!" He let out an exasperated sigh. "Try again." He persisted.

"Ham and Turkey?" She knew that one was it. That was the only kind of sandwich, next to Peanut Butter and Jelly that he would eat.

"Good job mommy!" He laughed and so did she. "What do you do today mommy?"

"I went to work and I just finished a bubble bath." She smiled.

"Oooh, I want a bubble bath." Tyler took the phone away from his mouth, "Daddy, can I take a bubble bath and play with my toys?" Alyssa laughed as she listened in on the conversation.

"Uh sure, go ask Ms. Forrester if she'll run the water for you. You'll have to eat first little man. Okay?"

Alyssa didn't hear a resopnse so she assumed Tyler nodded his approval. The next minute she heard the phone being dropped. Her son had forgotten all about her. She laughed out loud at the notion. A few seconds later she heard Nick's voice. "Sorry about that Alyssa."

She was still laughing. "It's alright. Unfortunately for you I was the one who put the notion of a bubble bath in his head. Sorry Nick."

"It's alright. What are you doing right now?"

"Well, I'm sitting on the edge of the bathtub, in a towel talking to you."

He laughed. "Well then, I'll let you go then. I'll see you in a few hours."

"Bye Nick." She laughed and hung the phone up and returned to brushing her hair.



*****




A few hours later, the doorbell to Kerri and Alyssa's apartment. Kerri jumped at the opportunity to answer the door. Kerri opened the door and smiled at Nick and invited him in.

"Hey Kerri, how have you been doing?" He asked, making small talk while Alyssa grabbed her purse and a small sweater, just in case she needed it.

"I've been good, and yourself?"

"Fine, just fine." Alyssa finally came back into view and Nick offered his arm and the two were off, leaving Kerri with her rented Tom Cruise movie collection and a large bowl of buttery popcorn.

Outside, Nick opened the door to the car and helped Alyssa in, then he circled the car and plopped into his own seat. The ride to the restaurant was a quiet one. Only the sound of the radio humming in their ears.

When they finally pulled up to the restaurant a valet opened Alyssa's door and Nick rounded the car and met her at the awning. He offered his arm and tossed the keys to one of the young valets with a warning to be careful with his pride and joy. The couple stepped into the restaurant and Alyssa sucked in a deep breath. The place was even more beautiful than she remembered. It was lit with lots of lighting and candles. Faint orchestra music was playing in the background. White flowers were visible everywhere, and small beautiful tress were spread sporadically throughout the room. The domed ceiling illuminated against all the light, making it sparkle. Quiet conversations could be heard, with the occasional feminine laugh penertrating their ears. They were immediately escorted to a small round table by a window. It was decorated with a crisp white cover and had a small arangement of white flowers and two small candles in the center. Nick pulled her chair out for her before sitting in his own. She looked across the table at him and smiled an appreciative smile.

"Good evening Mr. Carter, Mrs. Carter. I'm your waiter Phillip Van Fleur. If you two need anything please do not hesitate to ask." He spoke in an Italian accent that was music to their ears. "The special tonight is the pasta primavera with roasted lemon chicken." Alyssa's stomach growled at the mentioning of her favorite food. She smiled at Nick who remembered how much she loved that dish. "I'll leave the two of you alone for a moment to let you decide as to what it is you would like to order." He bowed.

"Ah, Phillip, I believe we already know what we want." Nick caught his attention before the quaint Italian man had the chance to venture off.

"Very good then Mr. Carter." He took out a small pad of paper and a gold pen that caused Alyssa to raise an eyebrow.

"The lady would like the special with no parsley, she's allergic," he added as a side note, to be sure that Phillip would make sure there was none added to her dish. Alyssa couldn't help but gawk at him. She thought she would have to speak up and remind him about her allergy to the spice, but he remembered. The revelation nearly brought her to tears. Nick looked over at her and smiled, knowing exactly what she was thinking. "And I will have the same Phillip." He smiled his thanks.

"And what would you care to drink sir, might I suggest a bottle of Venician wine?" Nick nodded towards him and the waiter was off towards the kitchen.

Alyssa was still staring at him. He looked at her and became self-conscious at her stare. "What?" He finally spoke.

"You remembered." She whispered, a smile on her face. Nick gave her a confused look. "You remembered I was allergic to parsley."

He smiled. "Of course I remember, how could I forget. The last time you had it, you and I both stayed a good five hours in the emergency room!" She laughed, as did he.

Phillip returned with the bottle of wine and poured a small amount into Nick's glass. He picked it up, swirled it around and tasted it. A smile appeared on his lips and he nodded to Phillip and extended his glass for more. Phillip then filled Alyssa's with a small amount at her request. She was still adament about the fact that she could be pregnant, and didn't want to hurt the unborn child if she was by drinking. Phillip disappeared again leaving the couple to their own demise. Alyssa took this opportunity to survey the place once more.

Nick was merely looking at her the entire time she looked around the place. He could hear the soft music in the background and an idea formed in his head. He pushed his chair back and stood in front of Alyssa. "May I have this dance, my lady?" He questioned, trying to imitate an Italian accent, but failing miserably.

She laughed and extended her hand out to him. He bowed over it and placed a soft kiss upon it before helping her out of the chair. He lead her over to the dance floor where couples were already swaying to the music. He wrapped his arms around her waist and she wrapped hers around his neck. They looked into one anothers' eyes as they rocked to the gentle beat of the orchestra. Everyone and everything around them became oblivious in those brief moments that they help each other tight. When the song ended, those on the dance floor clapped for the musicians. Most went back to their seats, a few stayed on the floor eager to dance some more. Nick and Alyssa went back to their seats as they had noticed their food had arrived. They sat down and started eating, both letting out sighs and comments about how delicious the food was. Alyssa could only remember one time when the food tasted so delicious. It was at the same place they were at. It was the night Nick proposed. Like that night, this particular one was filled with magic.

The two ate their fill, both now complaining their stomachs were going to burst from the amount of food they'd consumed and they still had dessert left! Nick ordered two slices of cheescake from Phillip who brought them out immediately. They dug in as soon as the plates touched the table and sighed in content at the delicious pastry. Phillip hung around and filled the wine glasses before walking away with a chestire grin on his face that had Alyssa questioning his sanity. She shrugged it off and took a sip of her wine. She nearly spit the contents out when she looked into her glass. Her eyes quickly darted from Nick who was grinning, to Phillip who was standing across the room, grinning as well and finally back down to her wine glass.

"Nick..." She whispered, unable to control her excitment and awe at the situation.

He was all smiles and could barely talk himself. He reached over to her glass and pulled it to his lips, finsihing the liquid off. He dumped two small objects out of the bottom and stood up. He bent down, on one knee in front of Alyssa and grasped her left hand in his. Her right hand went to her mouth as the events unfolded before her.

"Alyssa I love you." He whispered with no hesitation, no regret nor remorse. Alyssa's heart did summersaults and back handsprings at those three words. She couldn't believe it! She was on the verge of tears. "I truly love you." He paused, running his thumb over her ring finger. "I can't thank you enough for giving us a chance again." He looked down at the two rings in his large hands and back to her emerald eyes. "You handed me these a few months back in a box and it tore me heart out at the time, but I realize that I was an asshole and I'll forever be sorry for that night." He stopped once again and reached out to wipe a small tear from her face. "Alyssa, will you please wear my rings again and be my wife?" He slipped the rings onto her ring finger. The wedding band was to go first, with its beautiful gold band and its four small diamonds incrusted into the gold. Then her engagement ring followed. It was emaculant to say the least. A huge 48 carat diamond in the center with two more diamonds on each side of it. Inside the engaement ring were their initials.

She was speecless and could only nod her response. She lurched out of her chair and wrapped her arms around Nick's neck who in return grasped her into a huge hug. He pulled her face back and kissed her with all the passion and love that he could muster together, hoping that the kiss would show just how much he loved and adored the beautiful woman. She pulled away and wrapped him in another crushing hug. "I love you so much." She whispered into his shoulder, causing him to smile.

On lookers from other tables were clapping at the spectacle, a few were even cheering for them, which caused them to part and acknowledge the congratulations being thrown at them. They sat down a few moments later and Phillip rushed to them with a smile on his face. "Congratulations Sir and to you too madam. Is there anything else I can get for you two?"

Alyssa spoke up this time. "No thank you Phillip. Could you please bring us the check." Phillip bowed and then disappeared.

Nick looked across at Alyssa who in return was staring back at him.

"Thank you Nick." She whispered across the candlelight.

"Your welcome. I couldn't think of a better time to tell you and to give you back your rings than here. I hope you've enjoyed it."

"Oh I have, I really have. To tell you the truth, I've missed my rings," Both laughed. "My fingers have felt naked without them."

Nick reached around the candles and grasped her right hand in his, gently stroking the top of her knuckles. He was so content at that moment that nothing in the world could destroy his happiness.

Moments later, Phillip arrived with their check and Nick handed him a few large bills, and then to her astonisment gave the kind man a one-hundred dollar tip. The two slowly made their way out of the restaurant and to his waiting car under the awning. They drove away from the restaurant which held some many pleasant memories.

"To my place or yours?" Nick questioned, once they had reached a red light.

She looked over at him and smiled. "Yours." She whispered grabbing a hold of his hand.

He grinned at her and when the light turned green he sped up, surpassing the posted speedlimit in a rush to get home.

Alyssa grinned as he pulled into the driveway and rushed out of the car to meet her at her door. He pulled her out of the car and the two jogged to the front door, like excited teenagers. Once inside, he thanked Ms. Forrester for staying late and handed the kind woman a one-hundred dollar as well. The two adults checked on Tyler before they ran to the master bedroom and embraced each other in a lovers dance.

That night they sealed their fate. Both wanting and needing the other's touch. It was a night filled with romance, revelations, and above all love.