- Text Size +
"Alyssa! Telephone!" Nick's masculine voice broke through her feeling of contemptness as she sat in the bath, surrounded by fragrant bubbles and bath salts. She had been in utter heaven. Ever nerve was sensitive and the soothing water released all the tension from the tip of her pink toes to the top of her blond head. A few seconds later she could hear the pitter patter of little feet running towards her bathroom door. She eyed it suspiciously, waiting for the culprit to enter. The door slowly opened then a bushy blond head stuck its way through and bright blue eyes looked at her curiously. She couldn't help but smile and waved the tiny tot into the bathroom.

"Daddy told me to bring phone." He said indicating the small black device in his hand.

"He did, now did he?" She said taking the phone from his hands. "And what is your daddy doing that is so important that he can't give me the phone?" Tyler shrugged his shoulders, half in confusion as to what she said and the other half because he really didn't know what his daddy was doing. "That's all right sweetie. Go play with your toys and I'll fix you some dinner in a little bit okay?" The kid perked up and literally bounced out of the bathroom. She laughed out loud and looked at the phone, momentarily forgetting it was there. She placed it to her ear and asked, "Hello?"

"Alyssa!" The sing-song voice of Kerri rang in Alyssa's head.

"Kerri!" She matched her best friends' enthusiasm with much more exuberance.

“Guess what!” She stalled a minute, knowing full well when someone kept a secret from Alyssa that it would gnaw the woman to death. She didn’t leave her waiting long, “I met a guy.”

“Well that’s one for the record books! What does he look like? What’s he like? What kind of job does he have? Where did you meet him?” Alyssa was throwing out so many questions that Kerri’s head was spinning from overuse.

“Well, his name is Eric and he works at a Law firm. We met by accident. I was at the grocery store picking up some stuff and I rounded the corner and we bumped buggies. We did that a few more times that night and had a pleasant conversation after the third of forth time it happened and then he asked if I'd have dinner with him. He’s really very cute. He has brown hair and these gorgeous hazel eyes that change colors in different environments. He’s really tall too, about Nick’s height. He has a voice that is so rich and smooth that I could sit there and listen to him for hours on end. Oh God Alyssa, is it too early to feel so comfortable with him? I mean, we’ve only known each other a little over two weeks.”

“He sounds dreamy! But Kerri, I’m sure it’ll be all right. I was comfortable with nearly everything about Nick when we first started dating. The only thing that freaked me out was just how busy he was and the masses of screaming girls he had following him.” Alyssa answered, remember those times as if they were yesterday.

“I know, I know. It’s just I haven’t seriously dated in a long time and this one feels like the one I could potentially take home to meet the parents at some point in time. He’s really serious about his career and is very focused, something that I am not. That’s what scares me!” Kerri let out an exasperated sigh.

“Hon, you’re overreacting. Take it one day at a time.” She smiled. It was usually her going to Kerri for advice and it felt good to be the one giving it, instead of receiving it.

“I will, it’s just he is such a great guy.” The smile was evident in her voice. “Well, I’ll let you go. Nick was kind enough to inform me that you were soaking in the bathtub and I’m sure you’re starting to shrivel up like a prune.”

Alyssa look at her hand and laughed. It was true, they were starting to get wrinkled from the long exposure to the water. “You’re right, it’s time to get out. I need to go fix my son and my wonderful husband something to eat.”

“Love you lots!” Kerri shouted into the phone.

“Good Lord Kerri, sometims I question your maturity level” Kerri laughed. “All right, I’ll talk to you later. I want to meet this guy of yours sometime. Don’t keep him chained up in a closet.”

Kerri laughed loudly, “That’s not a bad idea Lyss! Buh Bye!”

Alyssa was met silence as she clicked her phone off and put it beside the bathtub. She let out a laugh at Kerri's last comment. It figures the woman would say something like that!

Sighing to herself, Alyssa proceeded to slowly get out of the tranquility of the bathtub. She hated to leave it, but knew she had to. She wrapped into a towel, pulled her hair into another one and slipped her fluffy slippers on. Not long after, she was dressed with her hair dry and was heading down the stairs. As she descended, the sound of rhythmic bangings from a certain drumset, played by a certain blond became louder and louder. She inwardly smiled, but her head wasn’t too happy by all the ruckus. She first stopped at the kitchen and grabbed pack of frozen hamburger meat and set it out to thaw. Next she descended down another flight of stairs to what used to be the basement, but was now entitled “Nick’s jam room”. She leaned against the door frame and watched. His hair was all in disarray, he was glistening with sweat and he had a look of sheer determination on his face. His hands were flying in the air and then coming down in musical patterns. He had headphones on, so obviously he was oblivious to her presence and was probably drumming to a favorite song of his.

She fell in love all over again in that very moment. Just the simplicity of being able to watch him do something he loves, something he has a passion for and him not even knowing she was present was, needless to say, perfect. The song slowly ended and another one started playing and he started drumming the beats to that one. She smiled as she watched him. Two months had passed since she had told him they were going to have a baby. Since then everything was pure bliss. They had their little squabbles now and then, but they never amounted to anything drastic. Nick had taken care of her, making sure she had anything and everything she wanted. She couldn’t have asked for anything more or anything less. The past months had been an eye-awakener for the two of them. They were obviously madly in love, more than they were before and that fact was overwhelmingly blissful and wonderful to know for both of them.

Alyssa turned to leave the room, a smile on her face, as her husband continue to play unaware that she had been watching. She ascended up the steps, her mind on Nick and the food she needed to prepare but then she had an odd feeling.

It was bizarre and was abnormal, even in the condition that she was in now. It was a twinge, a kind of pulling feeling at the pit of her stomach. She stopped in the middle of the staircase and looked down at her stomach and upon doing so hunched over in pain. A fierce, fiery pain ripped through her stomach, sending a small agonizing moan to escape her.

The drumming had stopped not long after she felt the pain and she could hear the faint sound of Nick’s happy whistle as he was closing the room he had just occupied up. She knew the exact moment he turned around, as the whistling ceased to exist and the moment he froze to his spot at the base of the steps. Though she was well aware of these moments, she could do nothing but stay there, knees on one step, her head on another and her hand placed upon her stomach in motherly protection.





*****

Yes, I know it's a short chapter, but it's short for a reason! It's a pivitol chapter in this story! I know I have been away from this story for awhile, and I sincerely appologize. I've just been so busy and really haven't had time nor have I been compelled to write, until my good email buddy Ashley mailed me recently! Then I was inspired to write. :D I'm stil here and i hope to have the story finished by summer. :D So withing the next month or so it should be done. I want to start typing at least two chapters a week.