- Text Size +
The drumming had stopped not long after she felt the pain and she could hear the faint sound of Nick’s happy whistle as he was closing the room he had just occupied up. She knew the exact moment he turned around, as the whistling ceased to exist and the moment he froze to his spot at the base of the steps. Though she was well aware of these moments, she could do nothing but stay there, knees on one step, her head on another and her hand placed upon her stomach in motherly protection.


*****



Everything seemed to have just stopped. His mind stopped functioning as his eyes landed on his wife, on the steps hunched over. His brain was screaming for him to move but the rest of his body refused to obey the command. All basic instincts failed at that moment as he watched, in slow motion the scene in front of him.

It wasn’t until a barely audible cry of pain escaped her lips that his limbs finally listened to the central nervous system. His limbs finally worked the way they were supposed to, first with his legs carrying him to her side and then his arms which wrapped around her in a comforting manner.

His eyes were frantically looking over her form, unsure as to what to do next. “Alyssa, what’s wrong? What’s happening?” He questioned trying to find the source of her anguish.

She took in a sharp breath and whispered, “Stomach, it hurts” Just those few words evidently caused pain to seep through her frail body.

He said the one word that came to mind next, “Hospital?” He questioned thinking of no other alternative in which to relieve her of her pain.

She nodded her head, a few tears escaping her eyes. “Come on sweetie.” He whispered, wrapping one arm around her back and then the other arm linked under her legs. She let out a small cry as he lifted her up and Nick nearly lost it all at that moment. He couldn’t take seeing her in pain, it just tore his insides to pieces. He slowly took her upstairs, careful not to jar her anymore than was necessary. He placed her on the living room couch with instructions that he would be right back.

Nick ran upstairs and checked on Tyler who was still in his room playing, oblivious to the happenings going on below. Nick then went to his room and grabbed the phone to call Ms. Forrester and briefly explained the situation. Luckily the woman agreed to come to his assistance to watch Tyler. He hung up with her, thanking the almighty that the older woman only lived ten minutes away. Nick grabbed a bag and placed a few of Alyssa’s necessities in them, just in case. He then put on a clean shirt and raced down the stairs just as Ms. Forrester was walking into the door.

The older woman only had to take one look at the scene in front of her to know the severity of the dilemma. She looked at Alyssa, lying on the couch and the woman went into protection mode. She raced to Alyssa's side and whispered kind words of encouragement and told the his wife that all would be okay. She was protective over the younger woman and the two held hands for a moment as a show of support. Ms. Forrester then waved for him to get Alyssa to the hospital immediately. Nick picked his wife up in the same way he had earlier and carried her out to the car, careful not to cause her anymore pain than what she was currently in. Once he had her comfortably strapped in, he ran to his side, started the car and whipped it out of the driveway.

Never had a fifteen minute ride seemed so long. It was as if time was slowly creeping by with every sniffle Alyssa made or every sharp intake from the smallest jar. His nerves one on end and he knew not how to comfort her. He reached over and grasped her hand and she held on to it as if for dear life. He reflected on everything during that drive. Their marriage, their son Tyler, the problems they went through, the rekindling of their marriage. But most of all he thought about her and nothing else. How she had been so strong through everything and never showed the pain she was in during those years he was MIA (missing in action). Now her strong façade was broken and never in their time together had he seen in such bad shape.

Finally they arrived at the Emergency Room and Nick stopped in front of the doors. He hopped out of his side and ran to hers, signaling the on-duty nurse to get some help. By the time Nick had Alyssa out of the car, the nurse had a wheelchair waiting. He gently placed his wife in the chair and watched as the nurse took charge. Alyssa looked back at him as the other woman wheeled her through the Emergency Room doors. Nick's eyes followed her the whole was until she was finally out of sight.

A car honked it’s horn at Nick and he looked at it perplexed then realized that he was still standing there, making it imposible for others to get to the entrance. He got back into his car and pulled into the designated parking area for Emergency Room patients only. He threw the car in park and then made a mad dash for the Emergency Room entrance. He stopped at the counter, somewhat out of breath and was met by a friendly smile from the middle aged receptionist.

“Can I help you sir?” The woman, who was probably in her early forties asked.

“Alyssa Carter.” Nick choked out.

The woman typed in the name and looked at the screen and back at Nick with a sympathetic smile. “I’m sorry, but her name hasn’t been entered into the computer yet. Perhaps if you tell me what she came in here for, then I can direct you where to go.”

Nick let out an audible sigh in frustration. “Well she’s pregnant for one thing and she was having severe stomach pains.”

“Ah yes, I remember.” She smiled and picked up the phone and had what seemed like the longest conversation to Nick. Finally the woman hung up. “She has already been taken back and I’ve sent for a nurse to lead you to her."

Nick nodded his thanks and waited by the doors for the nurse who would take him to his wife. Finally, as if by request the doors that separated the Emergency Room from the waiting room area opened and a nurse clad in white stepped out. “Mr. Carter?” She questioned and Nick nodded. “Follow me please if you will.” And she led the way through the winding halls and at least two other sets of doors before stopping at ER room number twenty-one. “You may go in sir, she’s been asking for you.”

“Thanks.” He mumbled and twisted the doorknob and entered the small room. Alyssa was lying on her side and he walked over and sat in the chair that was next to her.

Alyssa gave him a small smile which in itself looked painful. “Hey.” She whispered.

“Hey.” Nick croaked out in an unsteady voice. “How are you feeling.” That was probably the lamest question he could ask, but nonetheless she answered.

“Not so good. It hurts.” And that fact was apparent in her face. Her brow was glistening with sweat, her forehead was scrunched up and her entire body was tense.

Nick reached out and brushed her hair away from her face and then placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. She looked up at him with pitiful eyes and Nick would have lost his cool at that moment if it wasn’t for the knock that sounded at the door.

The door slowly opened and in walked two nurses and a doctor who carried a clipboard in his hands. The doctor approached Nick and stuck out his hand, “Mr. Carter, I’m doctor Bysshe and I’ll be taking care of your wife.” The two men dropped hands and Bysshe continued talking. “Mr. Carter, perhaps you can shed some light on as to what exactly happened to Alyssa?”

Nick ran a hand through his hair. “I don’t know. I found her on the steps hunched over in pain. She said to take her to the hospital and so we’re here.”

The doctor nodded and scribbled some notes. “Mr. Carter what did your wife have to eat last night?”

Nick let out a long breath as his brain searched for the right answer. “We both had a sandwich. Her was turkey and mustard.”

“Did you have the same?” He scribbled more notes on his clipboard.

“No, I had ham and cheese.” Nick was looking at the man in front of him. The guy was about his height, a bit shorter with thinning hair. He looked to be in his late forties, early fifties. But what Nick didn’t understand was why he was asking about food! “Dr. Bysshe, is it relevant to be asking what we ate last night?”

The doctor smiled, “Yes Mr. Carter it is. It could be possible that your wife could have gotten ahold of some bad meat." He continued to explain, "Usually when one is pregnant, their stomachs and immune systems are more sensitive to foods and so therefore the slightest agitation could result in uncomfortable stomach cramps. We’re just trying to approach all possibilities.”

Nick nodded his understanding as the two nurses started wheeling Alyssa’s bed out of the room. “Where are they taking her?” He questioned.

“We’re going to run a few tests. There will be an Ultrasound performed, an X-ray, and a few other similar tests. She’ll be back in about an hour.” The doctor then scribbled more notes onto his clipboard before shaking Nick’s hand again and leaving Nick in the room, all alone.

Nick sat back down in the chair he had occupied earlier and finally broke down. His entire being shook in convulsive sobs. This wasn’t fair! They had been through so much and now this! Of course he was overreacting, but he had to mentally prepare himself for the worst case scenario, something he seriously did not want to think about. He let out an audible sigh and then placed his head in his hands, shaking his head in disbelief. And so started the longest hour in his entire life.