- Text Size +
Kevin knew he made the right choice the minute he jumped in the van just by seeing the relieved face of AJ greet him. There was no way he was going to let the kids go without him. No way. Howie and Brian would be fine now, they were with the police and although it scared him a little to see the policeman holding a gun at them and telling them to drop to the floor, he knew they were by far in a better situation than AJ and Nick.

"My my my, that was heroic wasn't it Jordan?" Terry asked her boyfriend after she saw Kevin jump into the van when freedom was calling to him. "You would have never done that for me" Then she turned to Kevin and winked at him. He had now sat himself up next to AJ while Jason moved to the last row of chairs in the back.

"NO, I probably wouldn't have but you know how celebrities are, he probably wanted his face on the news" Kevin ignored Jordan and focused on AJ who looked scared as hell. He was rubbing his hands together in his lap. Something he did when he was very nervous. The guys would joke with him before a performance that it looked like he was putting on invisible hand cream or something. Kevin tapped his leg so he would look up at him. Once AJ did, Kevin smiled at him. It seemed to work.

"So, are you really that attached to these two that you would jump into a van with four maniac gunmen?" Terry continued to play with Kevin. Truth is she had been thoroughly disappointed when she thought he was going to be left behind. In the back of her mind, she thought he might do something like that though. Risk his life to save the little ones. What a guy.

"Yes, I guess I am" He said sounding perfectly calm.

"Maybe the creep is some pervert or something" Chris had to add hitting Kevin in the back of his head with the heel of his hand. "Hey!" AJ shouted, but Kevin shook his head and then reached behind to massage his neck.

"So what now?" He asked Terry while still nursing his sore neck. He couldn't help but notice how quiet Nick was in the front seat. He had hoped the kid would be sitting right here next to him.

"Not sure, we will get to where we need to go and then we'll call your parents and ask for some ransom" AJ chuckled.

"What are you laughing about?"

"Did you get that plan right from an old Josie and the Pussycats cartoon or something?"

"I suppose you have a better idea then kid?"

"Yeah I do, I say you let the three of us go and call it a night!" She laughed.

Terry put her arm around the quiet blonde and fixed her gaze on him. "Why are you being so quiet handsome?"

"He doesn't feel well" Kevin answered for him.

"You don't? Oh my goodness" She placed her lips on his forehead, and then in a baby talk voice she said, "Ooo somebody's got a fever"

"Great" Jordan huffed from the driver's seat. They were speeding along the highway in shock that no one was chasing them yet. Now he had to deal with a sick pop star! When would his luck change?

"I have some aspirin would you like some aspirin?" she asked Nick. He nodded but still chose not to make eyes contact with her. She rummaged through her bag once again bringing a laugh from AJ.

"What is so funny now?"

"I just think it's funny that you have a purse. I mean don't you just steal everything? You probably took the aspirin from an old woman or something" She laughed again.

"Well, I didn't know we had a comedian on board" She then looked back at her young infatuation, "I'm sorry Nick, I must have used them all up" He coughed in reply.

"Wow that is some wicked cough you got there"

"All the more reason to let us go. You don't want him to make you sick do you?" AJ asked.

"Why don't we just dump the kid in a river or something. Give him a pair of cement shoes" Now Chris was in on the fun. He had realized how easy it was to pick on the kid, he seemed really gullible. "Hey Jordan, I say the next time the kid coughs we dump him!"

"Don't listen to him, he's just an idiot!" Terry said now hugging Nick against her bosom.

"Are parents don't have any money, you are better off asking the record label" Kevin said matter of factly. "Has this happened before?" She asked him. He seemed to act like this was a normal procedure after being abducted, call the record company. Like they gave them a handbook or something.

"Nope, just being honest. I don't want you calling my parents when they know there is no way they scrounge for that money. Nope the record company will give you what you want"

"Hell knows they are thieves themselves" AJ added.

"Okay well looks like we have our next step then" She said to Jordan. "We just need to get to the air field"

"Airfield?" Nick finally said after almost an entire car ride in silence. To answer him Terry held him even closer, "Yes baby, we are going on a helicopter ride"




Brian and Howie had told the same story over and over again. They were getting tired of repeating themselves. The officer that detained them when the others made their getaway thought he had gotten the bad guys at first, even going so far as to hand cuff Howie. Once backup came and the other hostages were found in the basement, their accusations turned into incessant silly questions.

Both boys understood the need to be asked those questions but as the minutes dragged by, Kevin, AJ and Nick were getting further and further away. Brian got a very good look at the van making sure he memorized the licensee plate. He was able to spew the numbers out without any difficulty. Howie and Brian both described the four robbers in such detail that the artists sketch looked more like a portrait of the bad guys. Yet still, no one seemed to be able to find the van.

"This is ridiculous" Brian huffed at Howie when they were finally left alone in the back of a police van. "Why aren't they looking for them?" He made sure he was speaking loud enough so that the officer standing off to the side could hear. "Relax Brian, I'm sure they have people out there looking for them"

Howie was trying to sound calm. He was feeling a bit better now that he knew he was safe. He only wished he knew the fate of his three other bandmates. He felt bad, like a coward for not doing what Kevin had done. He could have very easily jumped onto that van. But he choose not too. He was too scared for his own safety. That thought would plague him forever.

"What do we do D?" Brian asked looking at his watch. "I mean, it hasn't been long, should we go looking for them?" Once again Howie was given an opportunity to be a hero, but once again his brain won out over his heart. He could do anything for these guys. He would jump in front of a train of take a bullet in the heart if it meant that one of them could live. He would do that for just about anybody. That was his nature. But he also realized that this was out of his league. If he and Brian went looking for these people, unarmed, they would only make matters worse.

"No, Brian, we stay here. I have faith that they will catch them. Don't worry it's almost over" Just then the detective in charge of the case approached both men. "Great here we go again" Brian whispered.

"Mr. Dorough and Mr. Littrell, mind if I ask you some more questions?" They both looked at each other and sighed.

"I will spare you the monotony of explaining your story to me again, I know you must have done that at least a thousand times, what I want to know is why did they leave you behind?"

"Just a mistake I guess" Howie said, the sound of regret dripping off of his words.

"Excuse me, Detective Donaldson" A young officer walked up to the man in a rush.

"Yes, what is it?"

"The van has been spotted sir" Both Brian and Howie sat more erect. "Where and when?"

"About thirty-eight miles west of here. Going along I-95 towards Pennsylvania" The detective jumped into action calling orders, closing off roads or trying to and also trying to shy away from the press. He didn't want to give them any more coverage then just a thirty-second blurb on the news. In the midst of all the action he turned towards Howie and Brian, "Don't worry we will find your friends" Then he walked away.




Nick as much as he hated to admit it, was very warm and comfortable in Terry's embrace. She had him in a death grip, but he was so cold that it felt really warm and welcoming. In fact if he closed his eyes it was very easy to imagine Terry as his own mother. He actually felt as if he could dose off to sleep. Then he would remind himself that oh yeah, this was a bad situation Carter! Wake the hell up and stop enjoying yourself!

"Nick are you okay buddy?" Kevin asked almost reading Nick's mind. He never understood how it was that no matter what he was thinking, Kevin seemed to be able to read it loud and clear. It was creepy sometimes, annoying most times but also welcome at times like this. Times that he desperately needed someone to cling on to. An older person who would protect him. Look out for him. AJ hated it, but Nick loved it. Sure he would never openly admit it. But being the oldest in his family, he had always longed for an older brother or sister. Someone to give HIM advice. Stick up for him when things got rough around the edges.

He was thanking God for Kevin pretty much from the time he had been recaptured until now. Knowing that if anything was going to happen, Kevin would do his best to make sure he was safe. He liked being the youngest member of the band. He liked the way they all, when doing all the things they had to do, managed to keep at least one watchful eye on him. Even AJ. Sometimes he was most protective of all. So that is why even with all the tension ion the van. The fear of the unknown looming around every corner, Nick was relaxed to the point of falling asleep.

"Hey Nick? Answer me buddy" Kevin said once again this time raising his voice over the drone of the engine.

"What?" Nick asked raising his head out of the warmth of Terry's embrace.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just tired that's all"

"Leave the boy alone he has had a hard hard day haven't you bright eyes?" She asked pulling him close to her again.

He began a coughing fit, not meaning to he turned his face away from Terry and coughed all over Jordan. "Damn!" He shouted slapping Nick in the face. He didn't even mean to, it just kind of happened on instinct. But he was not going to apologize. Kevin glared at him. "I'm okay" Nick was quick to answer before Kevin's anger got him into any trouble.

"How much longer?" Jason asked form the back of the van. He had kept quiet for most of the ride, carefully watching his lover flirt with that kid. It made him nauseous. It had to bother Jordan too.

"Shouldn't be too much longer, maybe about an hour or so"

"Excellent" He muttered.

Kevin was trying his best to take in his surroundings. Try to figure out where they were going. He knew they were on their way out of New York, but it was unclear to him if they were heading towards New Jersey of Pennsylvania. He thought maybe he would try the direct approach. "So where are we going?"

"Ah, someone's impatient" Terry answered playfully.

"Shit cops!" Chris yelled breaking the moment and sending chills down the spine of all the cars occupants. Jordan looked out his rear view mirror to see two police cruisers lights and sirens blaring, heading right towards them.

"What do we do now?" Jason asked trying to not look behind him. Jordan looked at Terry and she stared back at him. The smile on her face was the only answer he needed. "Now we play!" Jordan said as he put his foot on the gas pedal and zoomed down the highway...