- Text Size +
Nick was unsure if he should go towards the whispers. He was positive that he heard his name. The one thing, probably the most important thing by most standards, was he couldn't be absolutely certain he recognized the owner of the voice he heard. At first, he swore to God it was Kevin. He felt himself visibly let out a sigh of relief and his posture relaxed. The nightmare would be over because now Kevin was there ready to help. He just sat and waited for the voice, whispering his name, to catch up. During those few minutes, which felt more like hours to him, he started to have serious doubts that it was Kevin at all. He knew that Kevin was captured, among the many hostages being held at gunpoint by people who couldn't care less if he lived or died.

So that meant that the voice was a bad guy. Suddenly his loose, relaxed posture became once again stiff as a board as he continued to crawl around, on tired hands and knees, away from the friendly, inviting voice.

It was too late though, he saw the man, coming up towards him, ready to have a head on collision. Nick was thrown, he was certain that the voice was coming from behind him not from the front. He tried to turn around but was unsuccessful in maneuvering his tall frame. He had to crawl backwards and hope he was still faster than the man approaching. "Nick" The man crescendo'd from a whisper to a shout. He looked up then right at his prey. It appeared that he too, thought Nick was in the other direction and wore a smile to show how fortunate he was to be wrong. "Ah come here kid! You might as well except defeat"

Nick looked at the man, from what he could see, he appeared to be very large, probably one of the guys that got to AJ. It was impossible to make out any features in the dark but Nick almost liked it better that way. The flash of light shinning on him, threw that positive thought out the window. The man had a flashlight. He was glaring it into Nick's eyes. "Wow, you're even younger than we thought" He said.

Nick still backing up, now a little faster, closed his eyes. He had to get out of there. "Kid, Nick, come on there's nowhere to run let's go" the man reached over to grab Nick's arm, that's when his mind temporarily separated from his body and he bent his head over and bit the guy with all his might. The man yelped in pain and Nick continued his backward decent through the vents, unaware he was coming to an opening, unaware that he was just about to fall...

___________________________________________________

The sounds of thumping and bumping from up over their heads, made Brian think of a time, not long ago, when he and Nick had been caught up in a crowd frenzy. With nowhere to go, they managed to find a little room to hide in. It must have been an old janitor's closet because it smelled of bleach and cleaning supplies. The smell was deceiving to the look of the place though, it was old and moldy looking with an undefinable thumping and bumping noise coming from up over their heads. That's when they looked up and saw a huge tail, belonging to either the biggest mouse in the universe, or a rat. Not staying to find out which one it was, they had let out a scream and ran out of the closet back into the screaming fans. While cleaning the little scratches left by those adoring fans, Brian remembered he and Nick having a good laugh over the entire episode.

There was nothing funny about this. The sound echoed in his memory but this time, no rats tail, only a loud yelp. Someone just got hurt. Brian glanced at his friends and saw the same look of deep concern on all of their faces. The sound of thumping intensified followed by another scream and huge crash. That brought the four of us to our feet.

"Sit down!" The big man in charge said flashing his gun at us. We sat down, AJ hesitating but finally following directions. "Terry, go see what that commotion was all about okay?"

"Sure no problem" She said getting up, gun in hand, walking towards the room where the loud crash was heard. "I hope he is okay" Howie whispered as the four men could only watch. Brian noticed his hand was shaking, he didn't even feel it happen. He closed his hand into a fist and wrapped his other hand over it. He had to calm down and get a handle on his emotions if he was going to get through this. One of the tellers, who was sitting off to the left of Kevin, bent over and whispered to all of us, careful not to let the evil guy hear, "I pulled a silent alarm, the police will probably be on their way soon"

Thank God Brian thought as he tightened his grip on the shaky hand. Terry came back with Chris, he did not look happy. He was talking to her in a harsh tone but yet quiet, making it impossible to hear their conversation. They both walked over towards the man in charge. He seemed greatly amused by the story he was hearing. So did Terry, she was trying not to laugh. "Well, when I catch that punk ass kid, I swear to God I will kill him!" As much as they didn't want to, they all heard that remark, cutting through them like a sharpened knife through butter.

Chris looked over at four boys before turning and going back to his watch. Rubbing at his hand. Terry came over to us, crouched down and filled us in on what had just happened. "Seems like your little friend has caused Chris some grief. He's a spunky little guy huh?" She was directing her comments to Brian but he showed no emotion. He looked at her, masking the fear in his voice, "Is he okay?" She drew back her head and laughed, "Who? your friend, or Chris?"

"Nick"

"Yeah he is just fine, won't be for long though, especially if Chris gets his hands on him"

"What did he do to Chris" Kevin asked, while watching the ceiling, he hadn't heard movement in awhile. He was beginning to worry, even more than before. She walked over to Kevin, "Seems Nick bit him, even drew blood" AJ let out a huge laugh, that Howie quickly stifled by putting his hand to his young friends mouth. It was too late, because the laugh brought Chris to his feet and over to AJ, "Go ahead laugh it up jackass! You won't be laughing when I strangle the little blonde right in front of your eyes, although that's too nice. Maybe I'll just bite his head off!" Terry put a calming hand on the man and after glaring AJ's way once again he left for his watch by the window.

The boys sat in silence, wondering what Nick was doing. Maybe he found a way out of the ducts, maybe that is why they hadn't heard a sound in a while maybe...Then another crash was heard, this time sounding a little further away. Kevin jumped to his feet once again, only to be brought down by Jason. "Go check that out the two of you!" Terry said to Chris and Jason, then she had a second thought, "No, Chris you stay here and watch them, I will go with Jason" He seemed disappointed but obeyed his orders.

The boys looked on as they both walked towards the sound, guns drawn, ready to attack...