- Text Size +
Hey everyone...first off, just wanted to thank Anita, AJsSweety and Ayleen for reviewing the last chapter. Second of all, if it isn't too much trouble, please let me know how I am doing. My reviews have gone down a lot since I didn't review for a week after December 5 because of exams, and I am not sure if this is being read any longer. I'm not sure if anyone is interested, and it is discouraging me from writing. So, please review. It would mean so much to me . Thanks.

Chapter Nine

“Well, now what?” Howie asked, trying to keep his voice low and the annoyance out of it, “It’s the beginning of December, and all of the hotels are booked solid, for Christmas parties and such that all of the big companies are holding.”

The other three guys let out low, exasperated sights. Their last attempt at finding a place to stay in had failed, and they were out of ideas. Even the sleazy motels were booked, which they weren’t too crazy about looking in to in the first place. They didn’t want to venture too far from where Kevin was, although, even if they had, the Boys were all sure that those places would be full as well.

“Um…we could just stay on the bus,” Nick suggested, “I mean, we live on it anyways some nights.”

“Yeah, but for two whole days?” A.J. asked, “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but it’s below freezing outside. We can’t leave the damned thing running all of the time just for heat.”

“Aje is right,” Brian said, then let out a disgusted growl, “We had reservations for a hotel tonight, but since we didn’t check in…because of all of this, they gave our rooms to someone else who’d showed up and needed a place. I swear, they’ll do anything to make sure that their hotel is booked and making money.”

They all frowned, noticing Amber still sound asleep. Howie wasn’t sure if she would like the idea of spending a couple of days with them all, not having a moment to herself. The idea of a hotel and getting Amber her own room was so she would feel safe and have her space. That idea went right out the window though. If none of this had happened, Howie was sure that they would be going about their plans, lounging out in a hotel deluxe suite. But he also knew that none of them regretted helping the girl. The minor consequences of saving someones life was just a temporary setback. It was nothing that couldn’t be fixed in one way or another. All they had to do was think of a solution, and if worst came to worst, they just do Nick’s idea, which wasn’t too bad to begin with.

“Well, what do ya’ll wanna do?” Brian drawled, “Head on over to the next town, or just stay here.”

“I don’t really give a fuck,” A.J. stated grumpily, his mood taking a definite turn around, “I’m tired and just want to figure it out so I can get some sleep.”

The others nodded in agreement, thankful that A.J. was blunt enough to speak his mind aloud, talking for all of them without realizing it. His mood was definitely sour though, and if it stayed that way, the Boys all knew that they would be in a bad mood by the next morning.

“Well, sleeping in a nice, cozy, warm, comfortable…” Nick began.

“Nick,” A.J. warned, hoping he would quit.

“Hotel bed would be…” Nick continued, completely ignoring A.J.

“Okay Nick,” A.J. spat, lashing out at the blonde, cutting him off, “Shut the hell up. We get the picture.”

“You don’t have to be such a grump,” Nick said, backing away slightly from the angered man. He eyed him up and down, wondering who he thought he was to just yell at him for speaking aloud his thoughts, “Jeez.”

“Yeah, well, because of your moronicness and lack of brain cell use, touching Amber’s clothes back in the alley, Kevin is in prison now. Because of you, we’re going to be stuck sleeping in a fucking bus,” A.J. shouted at Nick.

Nick snorted, crossing his arms over his chest and turning away. One thing he knew for sure was that A.J. was being completely unfair towards him. In his own opinion, none of this was anybody’s fault. It was a freak thing that had happened to him and now Kevin. Nick was also a little hurt at A.J’s brutal words. He made him sound like a two year old. Nick would be the first to admit he had a lack of using his common sense, but that did not mean he liked it to be rubbed in his face.

Howie cringed, looking over at Amber to make sure that the screaming match wasn’t awakening her. He was pleased to see that it wasn’t, but knew that if it kept up, she eventually would be awakened.

“Guys,” Howie stated wearily, “Please, don’t fight. Not tonight. Amber doesn’t need this kind of…hostile environment right now. If you haven’t noticed, she’s petrified of us to begin with. You’re bickering will just make things worse.”

“He started it,” A.J. and Nick both said at the same time, keeping their backs turned from one another.

“Real mature, guys,” Brian said with a shake of his head, “This is what happens when you live with other men and don’t ever get a break from them. Fighting over stupid, little things that don’t even matter.”

“Shut up, Rok,” A.J. grumbled, throwing a pillow roughly at the man, “Nobody asked you for your opinion.”

Brian caught the pillow with one hand as it flew though the air, rolling his eyes as he set it out of reach from A.J. If given the right chance, he was sure that the Boy would beat him over the head with it.

Leaning back, Brian put his head on his own pillow. He supposed that the decision had been made to just stick things out and stay on their tour bus for the night. That is how it appeared, anyways. Howie and Nick were already closing their eyes, shifting into a comfortable position for sleep. A.J. was still pouting, arms crossed, glaring out the window as Malcolm looked for a good place to park the bus for the night. Brian shook his head, deciding to just ignore him. He would sleep off his anger, and by morning, would be back to normal. It was just an interesting and unusual night for all of them, plus not having Kevin around was obviously putting a strain on all of them. He wasn’t sure why none of them were using the bunks built on the one side of the bus in the clear back, except for Amber, but as he thought this, he still made no attempt to move over to them himself.

“Can I have my fucking pillow back now?” A.J. asked, or more demanded, and Brian tossed it back to him, “Thanks.” A.J. muttered, shoving it behind his head. Brian wasn’t sure if he really meant it or not.

Slouching down, Brian closed his eyes too, wondering what kind of insane things the next day had in store for them. He could only hope that they would get the call from Kevin telling them to pick him up, and then they could be on their way to wherever they were supposed to go from there. They had a lot of things to make up, and not nearly enough time to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick awoke to the sound of soft groaning. He stared ahead of him for a minute, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the dark. His back was sore, and he knew that it was from the awkward sleeping position he had found himself in upon awakening.

Once Nick could make out faint images around him, he saw that the others were still sound asleep, Brian snoring softly. Nick tried to stifle a laugh, forcing himself to resist from pinching his nose or something along those lines.

Hearing the moans again, Nick shook his head, wondering what it was, then noticed Amber in the back of the bus, thrashing in her sleep. Standing up, Nick made his way to the back of the bus, hoping that he wasn’t making a mistake by nearing her. He felt she needed help though, and he was awake and there to try and offer it to her.

The closer that Nick got, he could barely make out Amber talking in her sleep. She was muttering things as she jerked violently from side to side. Nick wondered if she were having a nightmare, but he remembered that he had learned somewhere that if you were in a dreaming state, that you were practically paralyzed in your sleep.

“Please, go away,” he heard her murmur, and even in her sleep, she sounded frightened.

Nick reached out to try to awaken the girl from the bad dream, but refrained, wondering what the result in that would be. He didn’t want to scare her even more, or make things worse. But the more she looked troubled, the more convinced Nick was that waking her would be for the best. Reaching out, he touched her shoulder, feeling that she was sweating beneath the sweatshirt.

“Amber,” he whispered, gently shaking her, “Amber.”

“Please don’t hurt me,” Amber said loudly, almost in a scream.

Nick jumped back, startled by her loud outburst. He was about to apologize, but realized that she was still asleep. With his heart pounding in his chest, Nick breathed a sigh of relief.

“Get off of me…go away,” Amber cried out, “Leave me alone.”

Nick felt so bad for the girl, wondering what she was having visions of. Whatever it was was definitely causing her distress and discomfort. His eyes, now well adjusted to the darkness, could see the look of pain and fear etched upon her features.

“Amber,” Nick attempted again, bending down close to her ear.

“No,” Amber shrieked, “NOOOO.”

Nick winced, looking behind him. The others were still asleep, although he wasn’t sure how they were sleeping through her panic attacks. Nick wished that he could make the nightmare go away so that the girl could have a peaceful rest. He had a feeling that this was the first of many nights that would be like this. He didn’t mind…he understood. It was just the fact that he knew the nightmares could not be healthy for Amber.

“Amber, wake up,” Nick tried again

“NOOOOOOO,” Amber screamed at the top of her lungs, making Nick question if he still had hearing in his one ear.

Amber’s eyes flew open as she reached up, wrapping her arms around Nick’s neck and pulling him down roughly as A.J. and Brian rushed back to see what was going on. She was panting heavily, choking on sobs.

“Nick,” Brian accused, grabbing his arm and pulling him away from Amber, “What the hell are you doing to her.”

“Nothing,” Nick defended himself, “I…I heard her in her sleep…I wanted to make sure that she was okay.”

A.J. looked at the girl, who was now sitting up, clutching her blanket against her, shaking half to death in fear. Nick saw that it was obvious he had caused more damage than good, and two of his friends thought that he had tried to hurt her. This was the thanks he got for doing a good deed.

“Nick, just leave her be,” A.J. growled, “My god, how dense could you possibly be.” He shook his head in disgust, “Sometimes, I swear, I wonder if you have a working brain behind that skull of yours. You’re not supposed to force her, dumbass. You’re supposed to let her come to you if she wants anything.”

Nick wanted to say something, but refrained from it. His words would do him no good. Only he knew what his real intentions had been. Nick figured it shouldn’t matter if the others believed him or not. In their eyes, he was naïve and hadn’t a clue as to what he was doing. In his own, he knew that he did.

“Just, go back up front Nick,” Brian said, letting out an irritated breath with his best friend, “We’ll take it from here.”

Nick looked at his friends sadly, and then at Amber. Tears threatened his eyes from feeling unwanted.

“I’m sorry, Amber,” he said softy before getting up and walking back to the front of the bus.

Nick could hear the other two talking to her softly, and less than a minute later, they joined him back up front. Both were eyeing him in disbelief, as if he had just tried to make a move on her or take advantage of her in one way or another in her most vulnerable state.

“Nick, just leave her alone,” Brian finally said, closing his eyes, hoping that he would be able to get back to sleep. Brian yawned, then said, “If it happens again, just stay up here and let things be.”

“Whatever,” Nick grumbled.

He watched as A.J lay back down and close his eyes as well. Looking down at his glow in the dark watch, Nick saw that it was just past 2:00 am. He thought about what Brian had demanded of him, but knew that if Amber had another nightmare, he wouldn’t follow the instructions. Brian wasn’t his boss. No matter what, he was going to try to help her and make a difference in her learning to trust them if it was the last thing that he did.