- Text Size +
Thanks to AJsSweetie, Stephanie, SweetAngelicAngel and Anita for reviewing. This next chapter is for you! Can't wait to hear what ya'll think!!!

Chapter Two

Kevin closed his eyes, the vivid images of what had occurred replaying in his head in full color once more. He could see every detail as if it were right before his eyes again. Once the ambulance had pulled up, the paramedics had jumped out of the emergency vehicle to see how much trauma had been done to the girl so that they could take the right precautions in moving her and treating her. Meanwhile, the police had questioned him and the Boys, giving them the third degree, treating them as if they had been the criminals themselves. The police had even gone as far as to fingerprint them all…something that and angered Kevin, but he knew that they all had to cooperate of they didn’t want any more suspicion directed towards them.

“When did you find her?” an Officer asked

“About ten minutes ago, maybe less,” Kevin answered.

“Was it in this condition?”

“Yeah,” Kevin answered, “Pretty much… she had newspapers covering her before though.”

“Anybody else on the bus?” another Officer asked

Kevin stood up so that he was eye level with the law enforcers. He saw that their names were Officer Mendel and Officer Starks. Kevin nodded in response to their question.

“Yes, five others,” he told them.

“Go get them,” Officer Sparks demanded, “We need to ask some questions.”

Kevin looked at him strangely before doing as told. They didn’t know anything, so why were they all going to be treated as if they did? Why were the Officers acting as if they had something to do with the violent rape. He knew that none of them would ever even think about doing something so horrible. It had made them all physically sick just to look at the girl.

“Hey, guys,” Kevin said, sticking his head around the corner of the bus, “The police need to speak with all of us.”

The five men on the bus stared at Kevin blankly. Not one of them budged.

“Why?” Nick was the first to speak

Kevin shrugged, “Just, come on…or they’ll think we’re hiding something.”

The Boys’ plus Malcolm slowly stood up, making their way to the front of the bus. One by one, all five of them stepped off, walking over to the officer.

“Good evening,” Officer Stark greeted them sternly

They all muttered their ‘hello’s’ and ‘what’s up’s’
“Now, we just need to ask a few questions,” Officer Mendel told them all.

The guys nodded, wondering what this was all about. None of them knew anything. Howie and Brian, for the first time, saw the girl when they looked around the officers to see what the paramedics were doing. They both paled a little, quickly taking their gaze off of her. Kevin shivered, drawing in a deep breath and wrapping his arms around himself. The air had grown colder, or so it seemed.

“Were all of you here when she was found?”

“Yeah,” A.J. answered, “We were trying to escape fans. We were late for a meeting, and thought that this would take us there more quickly…and then…”

Both Officers jotted something down in their notepad. A.J. glared at them, wondering why they were.

“What made you decide to take this alley?” Officer Starks asked.

“I was just trying to get away from the fans as soon as I could. There was an opening, and I took advantage of it,” Malcolm spoke up, deciding this question was best to be answered by him, “ To be honest, I didn’t even realize where I was headed. I stopped when I saw her blocking the path…I thought that it was just…I don’t know what, but not a person.”

“Mmm-hmm,” Officer Malcolm muttered softly, as he wrote down more.

“You said that you were on your way to a meeting?” Officer Starks asked, and when the guys all nodded, he said, “Kind of late for a meeting, don’t you think?”

Kevin was becoming annoyed. What kind of question was that? It seemed that they were blaming them for this.

“Listen,” he nearly shouted, “Eleven at night was the only time we could fit a meeting in to our schedule. I don’t know what you’re trying to get at, but we didn’t have anything to do with this.”

Both Officers looked at one another, speaking with their eyes before closing their notepads.

“That’s all for now,” Officer Starks let them know, “We’re going to fingerprint all of you before you leave.”

Kevin rolled his eyes, as the Officer Mendel went to his car to grab an inkpad and what was obviously paper just for prints, for there was a box for each finger.

“Just place your finger tips in the ink and put them in the right box,” he demanded of them.

They guys all did what they were told, Kevin feeling like a filthy criminal, even though he knew he wasn’t. Wasn’t it obvious that they hadn’t done anything? Kevin felt like calling the Officers pigs, but thought better of it. That wouldn’t exactly get him or the rest of the Boys on their good side.

“We’re about to take the girl to the hospital,” one of the paramedics stated, “Anybody going with us?”

All of the Boys looked at one another, and then Kevin replied with, “We’ll meet you there. ”

The paramedic nodded, giving them directions to the hospital in which they were taking the girl to, then jumped in to the ambulance and backing up before speeding down the road, the siren wailing throughout the night air.

“We just need a phone number to contact you,” Officer Mendel told them, and Kevin wrote it down for him, “Okay, you’re free to leave. We will need to ask more questions later on.”

The Boys all ran back to their bus. Kevin knew what was coming next. They were waiting until they pulled through to begin investigating the area until more qualified officers, specially trained for that arrived…


“Hey, Kevin,”

Kevin shook his head, his thoughts distracted, looking over to where the voice had come from, seeing Brian. It took him a second to recognize his surroundings, but eventually did. They were in the waiting room of the Emergency Room. They’d been told to wait there until the girl was transferred elsewhere and that they would be informed as to where to go to wait. Him and the Boys had all decided to go to the hospital, and wait to see if the girl was going to be okay. They all knew that if they just left, they would regret it. Calling management, Kevin told them that they wouldn’t be making the meeting, ignoring the irate shouts of the angry man on the phone, screaming of how late they were, and irresponsible for canceling at the last minute. He didn’t care. They had more important things to do than some stupid meeting.

“Huh?” he asked, realizing that he’d been replaying the scene again in his head. He couldn’t seem to shake it away.

“Aje and I are going to run down to the café to get some coffee for everyone. You want some?”

Kevin’s thoughts strayed away again, Brian’s questing going in one ear, and getting lost somewhere in his head. Kevin wondered what was taking so long. It had been about three hours. He wondered if the girls’ family had been contacted, and if they would even be informed of anything, or if they’d been waiting for nothing.

“Kev,” Brian almost shouted, trying to get his cousin’s attention. He could tell by the look in his eyes that he’d lost him.

“What?” Kevin asked, then remembered the question, “Oh, right, um, sure. Regular, if they have it.”

“Okay,” he said, “We’ll be back in a little bit.”

Kevin watched as A.J. and Brian walked away. He noticed that Nick was asleep, snoring softly, his heat tilted to one side. Kevin smiled lightly. Nick never had been one to stay awake if he was tired. Leave it to Nick to fall asleep in the middle of something Kevin would call a crisis.

“Slow night in the ER, huh?” Howie asked, trying to make conversation as well as break the silence.

Kevin looked around. Howie was right. The ER was slow…very slow, in fact. There were only about four other people scattered randomly around the large area. He looked at Howie, how as lounging in one of the chairs, slouching drastically.

“Yeah.” Kevin replied, “Lucky for the ER nurses.”

Howie laughed, “Yeah…everybody needs a good slow night once in awhile. This is ours…” his voice trailed off.

Kevin couldn’t disagree. That probably would be their only slow night for at least another month or so.

“Freaky thing tonight though,” Howie stated, breaking the silence.

Kevin was thankful for that. He hated the eerie silence that was in hospitals. It made him shudder. Being in hospitals had always brought him and his family nothing but grief and sadness.

“Yeah,” Kevin replied, “Hopefully we found her before…before hypothermia set in. Hopefully she’ll live…”

Howie could hear fear in his voice. He didn’t blame him. They’d both lost somebody really close to them. Even if they didn’t know the nameless girl, it didn’t mean that they did not care. Howie didn’t know what to say, and was glad that he didn’t have to when he saw Brian and A.J. walking towards them, struggling to carry seven cups of coffee.

“Dang, these are so hot, and Bone-head here dropped half of his,” Brian laughed, “We went back and bought more…extras, in case he dropped them again.”

Howie chucked, getting up to take some of the cups from A.J., handing one to Kevin and setting one next to Nick, even though he knew it would be long past cold by the time the blonde woke up.

“Thanks,” A.J. said, sitting down, wondering what he was going to do with the two extra cups. Malcolm was in the bus out in the parking lot, most likely getting some sleep. He had said that he would just wait for them out there, insisting that he would be fine. He knew that none of them would want to leave the building and go out in the freezing weather and that Malcolm had heat. They were getting a lovely cold breeze every time the sliding glass doors opened and shut.

“Any word yet?” Brian asked, taking a sip of the steaming hot liquid.

Kevin shook his head, the images again taking over his head, but this time, it wasn’t of their conversation with the police. It was the images of the girl that were coming to mind. Kevin couldn’t believe that somebody would do such a thing to someone that they didn’t even know…or did she know him? Either way, it was sick and took a completely deranged mind to think of doing such a thing. Kevin hoped that there wasn’t any permanent damage done to her. Brian damage was the only thing hat stuck out in his mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.J. awoke to somebody loudly clearing their throat. Opening his eye slowly, he saw a doctor standing before him. Sitting up, A.J. looked around. The other four were still sleeping, sifting slightly in their sleep.

“Hey, guys,” he whispered, getting no response, then said more loudly, “Guys.”

“I don’t want a bath,” Nick muttered in his sleep, rolling over and sighing, “Just one more game…”

A.J. rolled his eyes. Nick always had the tendency to talk in his sleep and say moronic things. Normally, he found it hysterical, but not that night. He realized that it was the middle of the night, but a doctor was finally there. He didn’t care if he awoke them from a peaceful sleep.

“Guys,” A.J. nearly yelled.

Four pairs of eyes suddenly opened, staring at A.J…or more like glaring at him.

“What do you want?” Howie muttered, annoyed, “We’re trying to sleep, in case you hadn’t noticed.”

“Look up,” A.J. said, feeling bad for keeping the doctor waiting. He shot him an apologetic look.

The Boys all looked upward, noticing the doctor for the first time. They all sat straight up, hoping that the news was going to be good.

“You are here for Amber, correct?” he asked

All five men looked at one another in confusion. Kevin sighed, thinking that he had the wrong people.

“The rape victim,” the doctor said, making himself clearer.

“Oh, yes,” Howie said, is voice still filled with sleep, and then asked out of curiosity, “How did you know it was us that were here for, um, Amber?”

“The paramedics said that some Backstreet Boys would be coming in for her,” he smirked, and Howie decided to let his tone and look slide past him, “I’m Doctor Jones, for future reference. Amber awoke a little while ago. She is confused and doesn’t remember what happened yet. She will by morning though. She has a slight concussion, and suffered from some cuts and bruises. Her body temperaturer was extremely low when she was brought in, but with heat blankets, it has come up some. Some tests are being done to make sure that she hasn’t caught anything. The results will be in shortly, two days at the most.”

“Thank you for letting us know,” Kevin said, “Can we see her?”

“Yes,” Dr, Jones said, “Not yet though. By mid morning though. She is rather lucky that you found her. She was on the verge of suffering from minor frostbite and would have died if she had been left out in the cold for another hour or so.”

Howie and Kevin both shuddered at the thought of that, the others staring, taken off guard. They had definitely shown up at the right time. They had saved a life, by chance of showing up in a strange place at the right time completely by mistake.

“Is her family coming?” Brian asked, finding it odd that her family hadn’t shown up yet. If he had a daughter, and this had happened to her, he would have been there so fast that the doctors wouldn’t have time to think before he showed up.

“Ah, yes, about that,” Dr. Jones said, “Something has happened with that. There are some things that I need to talk to you about, since you are the ones who have come for her.”

He paused, and the Boys wondered just what he had meant by that as they looked at him expectantly to continue and clue them in.