- Text Size +
Thanks again to Anita, Anastacia, SweetAngelicAngel, Stephanie and AJsSweetie for reviewing!!!!!!

Chapter Five

Kevin flew through the door of the Police Station with is fists clenched so tightly, that his knuckles were white. His teeth were gritted together so hard, his jaw was beginning to ache. His anger had continued to grow during the entire ride there from the hospital and he was ready to explode. Walking quickly towards the three officers, Kevin boldly put his hand firmly on the one’s shoulder who wasn’t holding on to Nick, spinning him around roughly to face him. The officer swiftly placed a hand on his gun, just in case he needed to put it to use. Kevin rolled his eyes. He could tell that the many was about to say something regarding his actions, but Kevin didn’t give him the opportunity to.

“What the fuck is going on?” he shouted, his eyes filled with enraged fury.

“Calm down, sir,” the officer stated, reculantly taking his hand off of his gun, deciding that if Kevin was going to hurt him, he would have already done so. His voice had come out calm, but stern, although Kevin could tell that the officer was already starting to lose his patients, as was he.

“No, I will not calm down,” Kevin yelled, irate that he would even suggest such a thing, “You barge in to Amber’s room while we re visiting with her, handcuff Nick and force him to go with you without so much as a simple explanation, then expect me to calm down?” Kevin laughed bitterly, and then said again, “No, I will not calm down. I want a valid excuse for all of this…this idiocy.”

“Kev does prove a good point,” A.J. spoke up, and Kevin jumped slightly, startled. He’d forgotten that three of his band mates were behind him, “I do believe we deserve to know what is going on,” his tone was harsh.

The others nodded in agreement, determined to get some answers, and as long as Kevin was there, the officers wouldn’t be getting away without giving them one. The one officer looked to the other two who still had a firm grip on each side of Nick, t hen turned back to Kevin and sighed a little over dramatically.

“Your friend’s fingerprints were found on the victims clothing,” he stated simply.

Kevin’s eyes grew wide, his mouth twisting into an expression of pure anger. The vein on the side of his neck started to noticeable bulge out. He heard gasps of disbelief form behind him, but did not know who they had come from. He never would forget the look on Nick’s face though at that moment. It was one of fear and helplessness, mixed with hurt and disbelief that he was being accused of something so horrible.

“I didn’t…” Nick cried out, but was interrupted by Kevin. He tried to pull away from the two strong men, but they jerked him back, tightening their grip even more.

“Are you saying that you think Nick ra…raped Amber?” Kevin asked incredulously, barely able to get the sickening word out.

“Precicely,” the officer answered, acting as if the Boys already knew this.

“Are you fucking crazy,” Kevin exploded

“Nick would never hurt a fly,” Brian stated, jumping in to defend his best friend, “Let alone a person.”

“Kev,” Nick pleaded softly, his voice coming out weak, “Help me…please.”

Kevin saw tears in Nick’s eyes, making him even more determined than before to make sure his friend was freed right then and they all left the station together.

“The only reason his fingerprints are on her clothes is because Nick found them and was bringing them to me…he didn’t know,” Kevin explained, as if he were pointing out this obvious, his voice cold.

Nick nodded roughly, confirming this as if it would somehow help him.

“We still need to hold him here until this is proven true, and we he have more evidence that points away from him,” one of the men holding Nick stated.

Kevin let out a low growl, trying to take in a few deep breaths to compose himself so that he did not completely lose his cool, “Did you even check to see if his prints were actually on Amber?”

The look on their faces told Kevin that they hadn’t matched up that bit of evidence yet, that would clearly state that Nick was innocent.

“We’ll get back to you as soon as we know anything,” the officer stated, and they all turned around, dragging Nick through a thick, wooden door, which needed a code to access.
"Nick didn't do anything," Kevin yelled, at one last attempt, "He's innocent, you pathetic bastards."
It was too late though. The door was already closing and they weren't turning back. Kevin could have sworn that he heard Nick sobbing. Letting out a shaky breath, Kevin turned around to face the others.

“They won’t listen,” he stated, shaking his head in disgust, “All we can do now is wait and let them make idiots of themselves.”

The others scowled, but they felt that they had done all that they could to point the officers’ fingers away from Nick, and nothing had worked. Kevin was right. All that they could do now was wait, even though that would be the hardest things any of them had ever done, considering one of their best friends was being thrown in prison over a crime that he did not commit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin sat in far back the corner of the bus, his arms crossed over his chest. He’d drawn curtains to over the windows, so that no light could come in. He was almost completely in the dark. The more that Kevin thought about it, the more angry he became with not the officers, but Nick, that he’d gotten in to this situation. While the others had gone back up to visit with Amber again, he had decided to spend some time alone, retreating to the bus. Kevin wondered if the girl would suspect something was up since they would be around a lot for the next few days, until she was released, which Kevin hoped was going to be after Nick was out of prison, that way, they would have more time for Amber to come to realize what had happened to her and suggest their generous offer to her. With the thoughts of Nick, Kevin rolled his eyes, picking up the first thing he saw and chucking it towards the front of the bus, it hitting the windshield with a loud THWACK.

“Watch it back there,” laughed Malcolm from up front, “Almost got me.”

“Sorry,” Kevin called back, but he didn't mean it, and he knew that his voice indicated that.

Kevin scowled, then cursed under his breath. He wondered if anybody had even noticed the change for the worst in his mood over the last hour. Kevin kept hearing Nick’s cries for help, yet he couldn’t do a thing to help. For one of the first times, Kevin had been unsuccessful at that. It angered him, and he found the accusations ridiculous, but what could he do?

Kevin closed his eyes and sighed when he felt a cold breeze floating to the back of the bus, then felt it shaking, knowing that the other three had returned from their visit. He wished that they had stayed a little longer, for he just wanted to be alone, but he couldn’t stop them from coming back.

“Shit, it’s cold out there,” A.J. stated, “I swear, the temperature keeps dropping.”

“Watch your mouth, Aje,” Brian laughed.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck,” A.J. cursed, just to get on the older man’s nerves,

They were all laughing though.

"Dude, I think my hands and ears are frostbitten". A.J. stated.

His comment was ignored though. Raising an eyebrow at the darkness of the bus, Howie opened the curtains, letting light pour in to the area. Kevin squinted, his eyes not used to the brightness. The three continued to joke around, which annoyed Kevin. Did they not remember what had happened a couple of hours earlier and where Nick was at that exact moment? Suddenly, A.J. stopped laughing, noticing Kevin for the first time. Soon after, the others voices died down as well as they all stared at Kevin.

“Whatcha doing way back here, cuz?” Brian asked.

“Getting away,” Kevin stated with a scowl, “How’s Amber?”

A.J. shrugged, “Doing good. She wondered where you and Nicky were. Had to make up some excuse. She was tired though, so we left.”

Kevin gave a short nod in response. He wasn’t in the mood to keep a conversation going. No such luck though, because obviously, his three friends did.

“What crawled up your ass and died?” A.J. asked, plopping down next to Kevin.

Kevin could not believe that he had just been asked that. Maybe they really didn’t remember that Nick was in a jail cell, alone and probably scared for his life.

“Just pissed at Nick,” Kevin stated, slouching down even further, something he normally didn’t do unless he was really agitated.

"What?" Brian asked in bewilderment

“Kev, it wasn’t Nick’s fault,” Howie stated, taking a seat across from Kevin and A.J, “Those cops were pricks.”

Kevin didn’t say anything. He just stared blankly ahead of him. He knew that his attitude sucked, but under the circumstances, he figured it was aloud to for just this once. The guys looked at him, expecting him to say something.

“What?” Kevin asked, getting extremely annoyed with their stares.

“It’s not Nicky’s fault,” Brian reminded him, repeating what Howie had just said.

“Yes, it is,” Kevin muttered.

The three Boys all looked at one another, wondering if they had heard Kevin correctly. He couldn’t have possibly said that it was Nick’s fault, could he? Kevin would never accuse Nick of something so harsh, would he?

“Excuse me?” A.J. asked, hoping that Kevin would repeat himself.

Kevin said nothing for a long moment, giving the other guys the indication that he wasn’t going to answer, so when he did, they were all surprised.

“I said, yes, it is Nick’s fault,” Kevin loudly stated, his voice almost a shout, “I can’t believe that he would be so dumb as to actually touch evidence. Look where it’s got him now? He’s still the naive kid that I first met over a decade ago.”

Brian drew back in shock at Kevin’s anger. He didn’t understand how he could be this way. It was almost as if Kevin was blaming Nick for the whole rape, even though he knew it wasn’t that at all.

“Nick had it coming to him,” Kevin then said, his voice softer, almost as if he were talking to himself, “I hate to say it, but he should have known better than to actually touch something that could be traced back to him, making him look guilty. He had it coming.” Then Kevin’s voice rose, “God, how could he have been so damn stupid?”

“Kev, true, he should have known,” A.J said, then paused before saying thoughtfully, “Anybody should have. It’s quite obvious…but he’s going to need our support until those officers find out that they have falsely accused him. Just imagine what he is going through in that prison.”

“I can bet you that what Amber is going through is ten times worse,” Brian then stated in reference to what A.J. had just said.

“Yeah, and if Amber hears what Nick is being accused of…” Howie’s voice trailed off. He didn’t even want to think of how that would complicate things. Amber was in her denial state, but since nobody knew who her real attacker was, what else would she think besides the first thing she heard? She would, of course, believe that it was true, making her fear all of them, which could cause their good intentions, which they really wanted to do, be a lot harder to fulfil

Nobody said a thing, Kevin taking all of their input in to account. He had to admit that they were on to something, but didn’t want to admit out loud that he was being a jerk towards one of his best friends.

“The press better not get a hold of any of this,” Kevin grumbled, “It’s none of their damn business, and that’s all we need to worry about is that the public things that Nick actually raped a girl, and then we’re going to take care of her?” he shook his head, not even wanting to know what would result in that, if such a thing happened.

Worried looks came over the others faces as well. This was just one thing more added to their growing list of things to stress over. Suddenly, one thing, being finding a dying girl, and saving her, offering to take her under their care, was turning in to so much more. Whatever happened, weather it was when Amber was grasping reality, or proving that Nick was innocent, and the complications that would come with it, for some reason, they felt that all they had to worry about wasn’t nearly over.