- Text Size +
Here's another chapter today to make up for my delay last week! Enjoy and review!!!

Chapter Seven

Kevin stared at the officer blankly before breaking in to hysteric laughter. It was the dumbest thing he’d ever heard. His fingerprints had been found on Amber? That was a good one. He continued to laugh psychotically, finding this hilarious because the officers were obviously not exactly doing their job correctly. It sounded to him like they were pointing fingers at them just to let in a couple of laughs themselves, by scaring the innocent. The Boys stated at Kevin, worried about their friend, ignoring the accusations that had just been thrust his way. Kevin’s state was beginning to scare them, and they were unsure of what to think. After a couple of minutes, his laughter died down enough for him to speak out loud.

“What did you say?” he asked the man to repeat.

“I said that your prints were found on Amber,”

Kevin’s eyes widened, his laughter dying completely. His breaths grew heavy, and suddenly, the words didn’t seem funny the second time around. In fact, they were quite angering, and that was just what Kevin was becoming.

“Now that is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard,” Kevin stated, “What the hell do you mean, that…you really expect me to believe this?” he fumbled with his words a little.

“We double checked what was on file, and they matched what was left on Miss. Harris,” the officer stated.

“Where, may I ask, did you find them?” Kevin demanded the answer from them. If he paused, Kevin was determined that it meant that he was making things up.

“I can’t tell you that, sir,” the officer stated, “It’s confidential.”

“What do you mean, it’s confidential,” Kevin asked, “Don’t you put that kind of shit in the papers when reporting things like this? And even if you didn’t, it’s my fucking life you’re screwing with here.”

“On her wrists and arms, around her shoulder area and on her mouth,” the officer replied without any hesitation.

Kevin laughed bitterly, “Okay, first of all, to explain her shoulders…I was taking the papers off of her to see what was underneath of them. As for her wrists and mouth, I was checking her pulse.”

“I’m sorry, but we can’t just let this go,” the officer replied, “Until we know for sure.”

Kevin was about to say something, but Brian pulled the man backwards before he took a swing at the cop who was obviously undereducated.

“You were wrong about Nick,” A.J. stated, “You’re wrong about this too, and you’ll feel pretty stupid when you find that out.”

“Yeah,” Howie jumped in, “And besides that, how much sense does it make that Nick’s prints were on the clothing, but not Amber herself, but Kevin’s were…but his weren’t on her clothes?”

The officer actually looked dumbfounded for a moment, but quickly shook the look away, replacing it with a stern, gruff look.

“I’m sorry, but we have no choice but to hold him,”

“Isn’t there anything that can be done so that he can leave with us?” Brian asked, not about to let his cousin be brought down.

“The only thing that I can think of,” the officer stated, “To prove that he is innocent, is a semen sample…to match with what was found on Amber.”

Kevin’s eyes shot open in disbelief at the suggestion. He jerked his body away from his cousin, ready to speak his mind. His cheeks flushed in embarrassment at the suggestion, and Kevin was waiting to hear snickers from his friends, finding it funny. He didn’t hear anything though, realizing that they were there for him, and wouldn’t make jokes about it.

“I will not do such a thing,” Kevin yelled in refusal, “I…I can’t believe that you would expect me to do something like that. It’s humiliating.”

“Very well,” the officer replied, “But proving that you are innocent, if you are,” the man smirked, “Will take several days longer.”

“Kev…I think that you should,” Nick whispered

Kevin crossed his arms over his chest, standing his ground. He wasn’t about to lose his pride by sinking so low as to fulfill the police mans request. It was degrading to him and he wasn’t about to feel shame.

“Kevin,” Brian muttered, whispering in his ear, “It would be a good idea if you did. By refusing, you’re just giving the man even more reason to suspect that you did it.”

These words made Kevin think. His cousin made a good point. He was portraying guilty behaviors just for the sake of saving his pride. Kevin wondered if he should just swallow it and give them the test that they were asking for. It sure would make him appear a lot less suspicious.

“How long do the results take to get in?” Kevin asked

“Between three to five business days,” the officer answered.

Kevin thought about it for a little longer. He honestly didn’t want to give them the satisfaction of doing the test, and he knew that for those three to five days, he would be switching places with Nick. He would be anyways, but the process would take less time if he just cooperated with what the officer wanted.

“Fine,” Kevin finally grumbled, “Just take the test…do what you have to. Just…just get the damned process over with. But just so you know, I’m not happy about this. Just so you know, if any of this gets out into the public…any mention of it at all, I’m suing your asses off.”

“Come with me,” the officer ordered, ignoring Kevin’s threat. He wondered if the man had even heard him. If not, the officer was out of luck.

Kevin followed the man, as his four best friends gave him supportive pats on the back as he passed them. Kevin hoped that this would lay the guilt off of the Boys all together. In just a few days, he would be out, laughing in the faces of the people who were being ignorant and prejudiced towards them. Kevin could hardly wait.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Poor Kev,” A.J. sighed, slumping against a chair as he watched Amber sleep.

It was later that night, and they had decided to go back to Amber’s room, since Malcolm had taken off for the evening with their bus. It was late into the evening, but none of them could sleep.

“I can’t believe that they are putting him through all of that,” Brian commented, “It’s almost like…like they’re trying to grab on to any little thing that they can…hoping to find one of us guilty…and ruin the band.”

Each of the guys took this thought into great consideration. It was entirely possible that that was the case, but they didn’t have evidence to prove it for sure. Things were crazy, that was for sure. What none of them still understood though, was that Nick had been accused of the rape, and then let go, taking Kevin in then for it. Why hadn’t they found the supposed “evidence” on both of them at the same time. Howie was skeptical of this method of how things were being done. He had no say in things though, nor did the rest of them. The cops were asses, and had their heads tucked so far up their butts, that they wouldn’t even take anything other than what they thought themselves into even mild consideration.

“I want to give them a piece of my mind,” Nick stated, acting like a tough guy, which they all knew he wasn’t. The guys chuckled, sending Nick into defensive mode, “What, I would?”

“Sure, Nicky.” A.J. stated, rolling his eyes, “Because you could do just so much damage.”

Brian and Howie both laughed half-heartedly at A.J’s sarcasm, not really in the mood to be cheerful. Nick just crossed his arms, pouting at being poked fun at once again. It always seemed that he was the butt of everyone’s jokes, no matter what the situation.

“I can’t imagine Kev-o in a prison cell though,” Nick laughed, “He’s all, tidy and clean…and that thing…is definitely not. I could barely stand it.”

This caused small smiles to form on the others faces. Nick was right. Kevin was probably complaining about the area being unsanitary and anything else along those lines.

“Nothing seems the same without him here though,” Howie observed, “He’s kind of the one who, well, does everything for us…or, I don’t know…but do you know what I am trying to say?”

The others nodded, glancing at Amber as they heard a slight stirring, just on time to see her eyes fluttering open.

“You guys sure are hanging around a lot for just visiting around,” she mentioned softly, her voice slightly disoriented from her rest.

None of the guys knew what to say to that. She was definitely catching on to something now. Their delayed response got them questioning looks cast their way from the girl.

“I want a shower or bath,” Amber blurted out of nowhere, throwing the former subject behind, forgetting it all together, “I feel like I haven’t had one in months.”

“Didn’t you just…um, get one earlier today…and yesterday…and the day before that?” Brian asked, with a slight blush creeping up on his cheeks at the subject.

Amber nodded, “Yes, but I want another one,” she looked down at her body in disgust, “I just can’t seem to feel clean.”

A.J bit his bottom lip nervously. This was definitely one of the signs he had read about in the pamphlet he’d gotten a hold on the night of the whole nightmare; the whole not feeling clean and wanting excessive bathing. Did this mean that she knew what happened to her? It sure didn’t seem like it, or else, he figured, she would be freaking out with them even in the room with her. They weren’t somebody that she knew well, so she would have no reason to trust them. A.J. figured that by the next day, she would most definitely be completely aware of what had gone on nights before. She was already showing slight signs of it.

“So, where’s the other one?” Amber asked as the four that were there stood up and started walking towards here. She recoiled back a little bit, looking frightened by them, “Don’t come any closer, please.”

By that comment, A.J. definitely thought that she would be putting restraining orders against them by morning. The time that they were dreading to come was nearing, and they’d had days to prepare for it. Suddenly though, A.J. didn’t feel so confident that they could pull off letting her know that they meant her no harm, and just wanted to be there for her.

“Kevin…he, um…he had to leave for a few days. He’s being accused of something that he didn’t do.” Howie answered her question.

“What does whoever think that he did?” Amber asked, eyeing the Boys wearily, making sure that they didn’t come any closer to her.

“It’s nothing,” Brian answered quickly, “Don’t worry about it.”

The guys all smiled at her, hoping to look convincing. Amber looked skeptical, making the Boys think that their trying to hide the reason Kevin was missing was a mistake. It sounded like she was suspecting what had happened, and believing the untrue. This was definitely not what they needed.

“If you don’t mind, I’d like to go back to sleep now,” Amber said, stifling a yawn as her eyes grew droopy.

“Oh, yeah, of course,” Nick replied, smiling at her, “Get your sleep.”

Amber rolled over on to her side so that she was facing the window. The Boys took their hint to leave, so they walked out of the room, deciding to hit the cafeteria for a couple of hours. By the day, it was becoming harder and harder to talk to the girl, and they all could see it. What worried them was how difficult it would be once she was one-hundred percent accepting and knowing that the rape had really happened to her. They knew it wouldn’t be good, and time was running out for them to completely figure out how they were going to handle it.