- Text Size +
Chapter One ~ Hot Summer Night

Anastay smiled to herself as she gently tapped her fingers on her steering wheel. Her window was rolled down as the hot summer air blew into her flaxen locks. She was trying to stay awake as the hot Southern air rained against her.

She had spent way too many hours on the road. Dusk was nearing at a faster pace than she wanted. She was aching for rest. However, she was careful to watch as the roads began to curve and wind. She finally knew she was in the right place – Hicksville.

This was where her father had grown up, and many years of family before him. Anastay thought most of her family had been raised in this part of Florida. She was going to be living in Canines–Rose, Florida. It was a small town with no real attractions. Hours away from anywhere fun, but her father had begged her to work there.

The name struck her as odd, but Anastay was always up for an adventure. The Everglades were a place for adventure in her eyes. Canine-Rose was deep in the woods, no one around for miles. Her father said her deepest passions would always get her into trouble. So far, Anastay thought her dad was right.

Anastay was almost about to doze off, but a whining sound caught her attention. Anastay looked sideways to hear her small puppy barking. Anastay chuckled as dropped her right hand off the steering wheel and ruffled the dog’s large ears.

“So, Taco, ready for a new life?” Anastay asked her small Chihuahua. He was so tiny as he rode in his special car seat for dogs. Anastay loved Taco with a passion. She made sure that he had everything the pup could ever want. He was her baby, until she could find a man to settle down with. One more reason for her to get away into Florida, that way her father couldn’t pressure her.

Anastay felt her mind wander as Taco yipped a reply. She laughed as Taco licked her hand. She focused back onto the road ahead of her. “Oh, yes, Taco. We’re finally own our own Baby. No more trouble for us. We’re finally in the easiest road of our life.”

Taco gave a whine as he settled into his car seat. He snuggled with his pillow and drifted to sleep. Another few minutes until she reached Canines-Rose, Anastay could not wait. “Thank you for the support, Taco.” Anastay yawned as she leaned over and popped her Meatloaf CD into her CD player. She had come to love her GT Cruiser. Her life of being Daddy’s little girl had paid off well.

“This is more like it,” Anastay grinned with delight as she turned up the volume. “You Took The Words Right Out of My Mouth” was playing in her ears. This was one of her favorite songs. Relief flooded her body as the harvest moon flooded the dark sky. Billions of stars twinkled as Anastay rounded the last curve.

“On a hot summer night/ Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses? / Will he offer me his mouth? / Yes/ Will he offer me his teeth? / Yes/ Will he offer me his jaws? / Yes. / Will he offer me his hunger? / Yes. / Again, will he offer me his hunger? / Yes. / And will he starve without me? / Yes,” Anastay whispered softly to herself along with the CD. She watched the sign past her reading “Canine-Rose, Welcome.”

Anastay watched carefully as the song continued. “And does he love me? / Yes. / Yes.” Anastay continued as she glanced around the small town. She noticed a large mansion sitting on top of a nearby hill. The ancient bricks were decaying and slowly deteriorating with its age. The moonlight cascaded an eerie glow onto it as Anastay guided her car into her parking lot. She would be living beneath the old mansion.

“On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?” Anastay asked herself within the song as she killed her engine. She sat for a few moments, peering around her home. Then, as if on cue, a wolf howling could be heard in the distance.