- Text Size +
Chapter 10 ~ Nine Lives

Anastay had enough with everyone’s constant warnings to stay away from the mansion. Everyone she had befriended told her the same. It was almost as if they all held a secret that unlocked the ancient mansion’s doors. Yet, no matter how many walls cornered her in darkness, she was thirsty for the knowledge of light. She was figuring everything out tonight, and that was it.

“I have to be an idiot for going back up here,” Anastay cursed at herself as she continued to climb the hill leading to the mansion. She promised herself that tonight she wouldn’t go near the roses. She had found the wolf there, and had no intentions of running into the beast again.

Anastay continued her trek up the mountain, fearing the worst. She had thought about going home, but told herself that she had to do it. Not finding out the secret would drive her crazy. Elania’s speech of witches, magic, and murdering had intrigued her beyond belief.

‘Daddy always told me that I would eventually get in trouble for my curiosity, but I can’t help it’ Anastay thought to herself with a heavy sigh. She took a deep breath of air, finding herself winded from the long walk.

However, she was there. She stood at the threshold of the festering mansion. The decrepit bricks crumbled as Anastay gently ran her finger along one. She glanced at her finger to see a large smear of dirt and dust. She carefully eased herself up the creaking stairs that led to the large oak doors.

Anastay tilted her head in confusion as she noticed large claw marks embedded within the wood. She carefully ran her hand along them. Deep splinters set within the wood, almost as if someone had desperately wanted to enter, but wasn’t permitted.

She was about to turn away, but stopped. She glanced closely only to find a sort of emblem carved into the doorknocker. It was a picture of a necklace with a large stone embedded within the middle. The stone was elegantly carved into thorny red rose and the snout of the beast she had seen in her dreams. She pushed the thoughts away from the emblem.

Anastay tried for the large doorknob, pushing her body against it. The doors screeched with panic, not giving her the right to enter the mansion. Anastay groaned loudly, she stepped carefully down from the rotting boards leading to the main door. She looked to see that most of the windows had been boarded up with heavy pieces of wood. She could now see the faint markings of fire licking at the castle walls. The scars on the old mansion were illuminated by the pale moonlight.

“Damn, damn, damn,” Anastay cursed repeatedly. She wondered how she could possibly get into the house. All the first floor windows were boarded, and the second floor were boarded, and the boards seemed to go on forever. Anastay felt like turning around and going home. She would never find anything out about the eerie mansion.

She took another survey of the surroundings. Her heart palpitated as she noticed one of the boards ajar against the basement windows. She knew that she was lean enough to pass through the boards. She was going inside to find the truth.

*~*~*

Anastay gave a loud grunt as she wiggled the rest of her slim body through the small opening She had pried the rotting wood from the window and it splintered easily. She was satisfied to know she had maintained some sort of strength in her arms.

Anastay lost all train of thought when she finally managed to free herself. She grunted as she fell a few feet to the floor. She sneezed as the dust blew into her face. She sniffled, trying to be quiet. She automatically fell silent as she rubbed her nose, waiting for footsteps. None.

Anastay rose from the dirty ground, feeling the slime covering its bottom. She swore herself not to think about the creatures that were probably beneath her feet. She heard the skittering of tiny feet. She quivered with fear at the sound – it was the rats. She took a deep breath, trying to ignore the small screeches of each rat calling out for another.

“I’m an idiot,” she told herself as she felt around for a wall of some kind. Only a tiny amount of light filtered through the slivers of splintered wood. The moon wasn’t as bright as she had hoped on this night, but she rummaged through her pocket and pulled out a lighter.

She flicked the button, trying to ignite the flames. The pressure from the rough gears made sensations of pain flutter from her thumb. Anastay didn’t care as she saw the flames finally lick at her fingers. She cupped her left hand around the flame to keep the breezy basement from catching her lighter.

Anastay began to slowly move around the basement, hoping to find out something. Maybe the mansion belonged to the dead witch. Maybe she would find some papers leading to a dangerous affair between each witch. Anastay really didn’t know what to expect. She peered carefully around the dimmed surroundings, she leaned over what she expected to be a desk and saw some sort of journal and a leather pouch.

Anastay’s eyes immediately focused on the two objects in front of her. She reached out to grasp at them, but she was startled out of her mission. She heard a loud growl erupt from behind her. She screamed out in surprise as she dropped the lighter.

She had submerged herself into darkness, but not the beast growling. It seemed like a bright moonlight had followed the beast. His long white teeth extended down from his snarling mouth. The hairs highlighted by the silvery moonlight prickled up alone his back.

Anastay’s instincts kicked into overdrive. She began to panic, thinking of the first thing she could do. She needed out, she felt like a caged rabbit. She began to quickly back up along the slippery floor. Her heart pounded with intensity. Her breath quickened as he feet slipped and she fell backward, slamming her head against the brick wall.

A sharp pain speared itself down her neck as Anastay squeezed her eyes shut. It felt like someone was crushing her skull against her brain. She cursed in pain as she quickly brought her hand up to her head, feeling the oozing of blood melting onto her fingers.

Anastay quickly forgot about her injury when she heard the beast. Her eyes fluttered open to find herself staring into the brassy yellow of his eyes. She felt her knees start to shake as she glanced up, finding the beast extremely close to her. She could feel his fiery breath against her clammy skin.

“Please don’t hurt me,” she whispered, not knowing if he understood her or not. She felt the tears sting at her eyes, remembering Taco cuddling up on her bed at home. She wished she could be at home with him now. She knew that curiosity killed the cat, but why did she have to use her ninth life now?