- Text Size +
Chapter 15 ~ Insanity

Anastay flitted nervously from patient to patient that day after her brushing with Alex. She seemed to be occupied with a variety of thoughts tumbling in her head like churning ocean waters. She couldn’t seem to concentrate on anything that day. On the other hand, Elania did her job with ease, but noticed the hesitance and insecurities within her employer. Elania had wanted to approach her employer about the change, but the day would soon end. She figured she could talk to Anastay then.

Meanwhile, Anastay had been daydreaming about the wolf. She knew the first twenty-four hours were crucial to a patient’s survival. And she figured that it couldn’t be much different when the patient was mammalian instead of human. She prayed that when she got home, she would not find him dead. She had grown quite attached to the wolf in just a short time and wished him only the best. So, attempting to calm herself, she decided that Taco would somehow take care of the larger animal while she was away with business.

Then the other thoughts that confused Anastay surfaced - mostly concerning the earlier events of the morning. Something, or someone, had told her thank you. It hadn’t been verbal, but more of a thought that brushed delicately through her mind like a loving kiss. She didn’t understand who could have possibly said such a thing. She was only around her dog and the wolf. She felt like she was going insane. Voices in her head? It sounded like the silly key chain she was given as a teenager on her sixteenth birthday.

“Anastay? Are you okay?” Elania finally asked as she shut and locked the door to the office. Anastay snapped out of her thoughts and looked to see Elania standing before her with a concerned glaze over her eyes.

“I’m fine,” she lied, “Why?”

“You were really spaced today.”

“Oh, it’s nothing to worry about.”

“What happened?” Elania asked, already knowing that something was wrong. She could see it in her employer’s gray eyes. She crossed her arms over her chest as she sat in the waiting room, defiant as a snake’s sharp venom attacking the circulatory system of its poor victims. She wasn’t letting Anastay leave without an explanation. “You’re going to tell me or I’ll get violent.”

“You wouldn’t hurt a fly,” Anastay argued with an amused laugh.

“I would too if it stepped into my food!” Elania argued.

Anastay shook her head with another laugh. She knew that Elania would persist with her agitating until achieving her wanted results. Anastay knew she would have to give up an answer, even if it was half of her thought processes - just some tiny tidbit to satisfy Elania’s unquenchable thirst for gossip. “If you really want to know, Alex gave me the creeps today.”

“Why?” Elania asked, her face turning oddly pale. Anastay tilted her head in wonder as Elania’s eyes even lightened with the shadow of her skin. There was almost a faint glow to her skin as her mood drastically changed. There was something different happening to her physical features, and it puzzled Anastay.

“He came to my house this morning to take me to coffee.”

“That’s creepy? He does that with all the cute girls!”

“Then why doesn’t he go to your house?” Anastay challenged.

“We hit a rough spot many years ago,” Elania told her darkly. Anastay stepped back for a moment, leaning against the wall. Elania’s voice hinted at a malicious spot in her flawless personality. She seemed to hint of a darkness and disgust surrounding her relationship with the infamous Alex.

“Excuse me?” Anastay asked with shock.

“It’s nothing!” Elania brushed off quickly, forcing a smile. “So, why did he creep you out? He wants to get to know you better, or so I’ve heard.”

“He grabbed my wrist, because I told him no. It looked like he was seriously going to hurt me. He’s such a creep. I guess the scariest part was the fact that it felt like he might be able to snap my wrist in two by holding it,” Anastay admitted honestly, knowing that Elania was a friend she could confide in.

“You probably read him the wrong way,” Elania replied, shrugged her lean shoulders.

“No, he yelled at me, saying that I was going to get it.”

“He’s teasing.”

“El–”

“Anastay, he isn’t like that, okay?!” Elania fired with a heated voice that could melt the paint from the office walls. Anastay backed up in shock at the reaction she received from Elania, holding her hands in surrender. She had never actually had Elania snap at her with such vehemence. “Alex is a good person. If only you’d give him a damn chance!”

“I’m sorry, El,” Anastay stammered, trying not to push buttons.

“Why can’t you give him a true chance?”

“Why are you so eager to have me date him?”

“Because he’s a great guy.”

“For a probable-rapist,” Anastay muttered.

“Excuse me?” Elania growled.

“Nothing El, I guess I’m just going to go home,” Anastay replied, grabbing her coat. She wanted to get away from Elania. There was something wrong with her today. Anastay knew she would be safer at home with Taco and the wolf.

“Do you want company?” Elania asked, her mood softening as fast as it had heated. Anastay gave her a bizarre look. Elania acted as if nothing had happened.

“No!” Anastay blurted.

“Why? Hot date?” Elania purred.

“I’m thinking of calling Alex?” Anastay lied, reaching for her car keys.

“That’s great!” Elania gushed.

“Awesome, so I’ll see you tomorrow?” Anastay asked, reaching for the back door.

“Like always,” Elania bubbled, waving her friend off as if nothing serious had occurred between them.