- Text Size +
Chapter 19 ~ Keep My Confidence

“Feels so nice to lock the office up early! Never could do that in a city hospital or office!” Elania bubbled as she pushed the door shut for Anastay. She adjusted her thick black curls that framed her face, bouncing on the heels of her feet with excitement. She then beamed a smile at Anastay. “Don’t you agree?”

“Of course I do,” Anastay answered, brushing off the conversation. She hadn’t slept well that night. She kept having the same dream. That morning the wolf had talked to her for a moment, trying to tell her the reasons, but work had come too soon. She just wanted everything to turn back normal, but somehow, she knew it wouldn’t. There was something so forbidden within her heart that was dying to be released.

“Anastay, are you alive?” Elania called loudly.

Anastay quickly focused her gray eyes on Elania’s dark eyes. She struggled to comprehend what Elania had been babbling about for the past five minutes. She couldn’t recall any of the words. Elania was becoming annoying. “Excuse me?”

“I was just offering to take you to dinner.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

“Working a little too hard?”

“Just a little,” Anastay lied.

“Want to come to dinner?”

“Um, I don’t know–”

“Alex will be taking us! He offered. Isn’t he the sweetest guy? He’s so kind, and he fancies you. I believe we should take him up on his offer.”

Anastay’s heart lurched at the sound of his name. Howard said to trust no one, and that’s what she would do. Howard seemed far more knowledgeable about Canines-Rose than any single human surrounding her and he begged for trust. It was a desperate plea that made Anastay nervous to question. So instead she followed. And after Alex’s bizarre behavior, she no longer wanted to associate with him. He frightened her. She would stay as far away from him as the city limits would allow. “No, thank you,” Anastay replied rather quickly.

“You’ve always taken up my offers on dinner,” Elania answered with a frown. She could see the skittish behavior resting in Anastay’s soul. She narrowed her dark eyes with suspicion. “What could you possibly have to do tonight?”

“Taco has no food as of now,” Anastay replied. She didn’t know if that excuse would buy off Elania’s negative thoughts. She knew it was a terrible lie. She couldn’t remember another time where she had to lie so frequently.

“Call a friend to feed him.”

“It’s not the same.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m sorry, El, but it’s just what I have to do,” Anastay answered with an apologetic smile. She would go home and feed Taco, but wouldn’t stay there. She was dying to explore the mansion further. Her dream had tantalized her. She would find the book, and that was final. “I really do need to get home.”

“Is it because Alex invited us?”

“No!”

“Anastay, I know it is.”

“El–”

“He’s a great guy, you should get to know him better!”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Anastay–”

“Goodbye, El!”

Elania watched as Anastay jumped into her jeep. Anastay hurriedly pulled away from the parking lot, like she was late for something. Elania felt a tremor of nervousness creep down her spine. She knew that Anastay was planning on doing something besides feeding Taco. She hesitantly reached into her purse and pulled out her cell phone.

“I told you not to call me here!” Alex barked as the annoying ring sounded in his ear. The ID Caller had alerted him to who had called and he wasn’t pleased.

“Alex, it’s not my fault!” Elania whined immediately.

“You know you’re not allowed to dial this number! What if I was out with her and you called? That would look highly suspicious at this time, Elania!”

“That’s just it!”

“What?”

“Anastay has left me, and I want you to follow her. I know she’s up to no good. Alex, you just have to see what she’s doing. I just wanted to make sure you knew and all.”

“Oh, thanks,” Alex grunted, his voice going soft.

“I love you,” Elania called, but the phone clicked for a hasty reply.

*~*~*


Anastay squeezed her body into the opening to the basement. She was relieved that the window boards were still loose from her last entrance. She had told the wolf what she was planning on doing, and he just said to bring the journal right back. The conversations between them didn’t seem so odd now. She was used to confiding in him and knew that the wolf was hiding secrets from her. Anastay felt her legs hit the dusty floor with a jolt as she lost track of her thoughts.

“Okay, just think, Anastay,” she told herself as her eyes adjusted to the darkness that surrounded her. She felt a cold chill sweep by her body. Instantly, she rubbed her hands on her bare shoulders. Something was wrong.

“Where did I leave it?” she pondered, turning around the room. She noticed something glimmer in the distance. Anastay hurried over to it, bumping her knee against the boards.

“Damn!” she cursed, reaching down to rub her knee. Once she kneaded the pain away to a dull ache, she brought her fingers along the board that had struck her knee. Quickly, she discovered it was a large bench. She knew that the book was probably lying on the desk. She reached out until her hands brushed against the rough texture of the crumbling walls.

“Damn!” Anastay cursed yet again, running her fingers down the wall. She felt something prick her skin, knowing the wall was quite sharp. She continued down along the wall, but yelped as her hand was suddenly lost within the wall. She felt some cobwebs, but decided to reach further into the cubbyhole she had mistakenly found. Reaching farther into the dark, she brushed up against something with a softer feeling. Her heart skipped a beat.

“There it is!” she exclaimed, grasping the leather bound book. She hadn’t a clue what it really was until she brought it to her face. Sure enough, her eyes came face to face with a small journal. The letters were done in golden calligraphy and twinkled in the moonlight. Her eyes grew bright, knowing she had found something important.

Anastay turned around to leave, but bumped into a hard object. She fell a few steps backward, until something grabbed her roughly by the shoulders. She was brought against the firmness, and then she saw the dark glittering eyes. Anastay shuddered in fear, trying to pull away as she stuffed the small journal in her back pocket.

“LET GO OF ME!” she screeched.

“Anastay! What are you doing here?” Alex barked roughly into her ear. Anastay yelped in fear, trying to pull away again. Alex’s grip grew firmer. She found herself wincing in pain, knowing she was in trouble now.