- Text Size +
Chapter 2 ~ Settling Homestead

Anastay whistled to Taco as he went tearing off down the small road. She was impressed with the small town. It held all her needs, plus the quietness she craved. More or less, her house was unpacked. She had bought a large antique house that had just been renovated. It stood a few miles away from the creepy mansion that greeted her on the drive in to town. Her father had called ahead for a pool to be installed, just for the muggy Floridian nights.

Anastay gave a satisfied grin as she walked back into her small office. Taco was playing with one of his toys as she lugged in her medical equipment. The reason she was in Canine-Rose, was for her medical career. She was establishing her practice as a family doctor. Her father had started in the small town, and suggested Anastay do the same. The town’s doctor had just recently passed away, and gave Anastay an opportunity to sneak in.

“Cute dog,” a voice called into Anastay’s thoughts. She yelped in surprise as the box she was holding came crashing down to her feet. She hissed in pain as the edge of the box caught her in the foot.

“Son-of-a-bitch!” she hissed in one long breath.
Taco yipped at her feet as she bent over to hold onto her Adidas sneaker. She glanced to see boxes of gauze, cotton balls, and other supplies come spilling from the box. Anastay submersed a groan as she was drawn into a pair of chocolate eyes. “Can I help you?”

“I’m sorry, your dog was gnawing on a toy in the doorway, and I noticed that you were in here. I had to stop by and give my official welcome,” the man rambled as he took off his sheriff’s hat. He looked about her age, maybe a year or two older. She offered a kind smile, even though her foot was aching.

Anastay quickly absorbed his physical features. He was a tall man and quite lean. His arms raked with tattoos as she took notice to the goatee, chin piercing, ear piercings, and sunglasses covering his face. His dark hair was tipped with a frosty blonde. He was the sheriff of Canine-Rose, and Anastay already knew he was a hotshot.

“I don’t believe I caught your name?” he asked with a flashy smile. Taco snorted as he pushed the boxes around with his nose. Anastay chuckled as she took the box from Taco and started gathering them into the box.

“That’s because I didn’t throw my name to you,” she replied as she folded the box back up. Anastay glanced up to catch the man glancing at her figure. Anastay’s father and mother had warned her that she was quite a dashing lady to be so single. She had natural flaxen locks that hung straight to a little way past her shoulders. Her gray eyes were dark and flecks of emerald flashed within them. Her tanned cheeks were lightly splashed with freckles, although her naturally southern-dark skin. She was above-average when it came to height, and held a strong and active body. She was what her father called the “cat’s meow.”

“Well, care to toss it?” the man joked.

“Why?” Anastay asked as she blew a few piece of stray hair away from her eyes. She set the box down on a nearby table. She glanced at the dust and webs huddled in the corners of the office. She needed a major cleaning job before she could open up practice.

“Because, you’ll find out that everyone knows everyone’s business in this small town.”

“Well, you seem to be the head-honcho around here, correct?” Anastay asked as she leaned against the counter. She folded her arms beneath her perky breasts, watching the sheriff’s eyes light with interest. She held in the desire to kick him in the pants.

“That I am,” he boasted.

“So, Sheriff, what’s your name?”

“Alex.”

“Any last name to go with that?”

“If you’re lucky.”

“Let’s try my luck, then.”

“McLean.”

“Sheriff Alex McLean?” Anastay repeated.

“The one and only.”

“Congratulations.”

“And our pretty new doctor?”

“Dr. Anastay Lontenz.”

“Anastay Lontenz,” Alex repeated with an amused expression upon his face. Anastay cringed. It felt like Alex was undressing her with his eyes. She narrowed her gray orbs at him.

“Don’t forget the ‘Doctor’ in front,” she answered. She rolled her eyes as Taco jumped at her leg. She thought silently, ‘Which reminds everyone that I am at least several hundred IQ points higher than you, sheriff.’

“You are quite a young thing to be working all alone.”

“I graduated in top of my class, Sheriff McLean. I’m sure I’m extremely qualified to take care of your people,”

Anastay replied as she reached down to pick up Taco. He licked her hands as she cuddled him closely. Alex was making her paranoid and uneasy. She wanted to hit the man, already.

“Anastay, you can call me Alex.”

“Well – Alex – call me Dr. Lontenz.”

“Sassy little thing!” Alex whistled as he slapped his khaki-covered leg. Anastay watched as Taco gave an annoyed whine. Anastay held in a laugh – Taco was more observant than a human. Alex gave Anastay an interested smile, “You better watch that pretty little mouth, otherwise you might get in a heap of trouble and not get anyone’s help. You might be the wolf in sheep’s clothing.”

“Is that a threat?”

“No, Miss,” Alex answered as he placed his hat back on his head. “Welcome to Canine-Rose, I’m sure we’ll be seeing you around. If you get a chance, there’s a little bar down the street. Stop in there around eight, and I’ll introduce you around.” Alex gave a wink as he walked out.

“Loser,” Anastay muttered as she set Taco down on the table. “Men, I swear, Taco. He begins by threatening me, and then has the nerve to ask me out? Where does he get the balls?”

Taco gave a whimper and glanced at his bright purple ball still rolling around upon the floor. Anastay chuckled as she left the dog down to play more. “I know, Taco. Get back to cleaning.”