- Text Size +
Chapter 20 ~ The Emerald’s Tale

Anastay winced as she held her bruising wrist. Last night Alex had found her snooping within the confines of the mansion. He had let her go with a warning, but not without a firm tongue-lashing. He warned that if he caught her up at the mansion snooping again, she would be in jail for the night. That was trespassing, even if the mansion was abandoned. Anastay left without another word, knowing it could be more dangerous if he knew she had the journal.

“He’s so damn weird,” Anastay told Howard as she sat in the porch swing in her back yard. Taco lay on her lap as Howard lay on the other seat in the swing. She looked comfortable as let her feet push them in a steady motion. Anastay had grown to think of the animals as her family, though she was embarrassed to say.

What is his name again?’ Howard messaged into Anastay’s head. She found it odd that his voice popped in her head. It was a sultry voice. She found his voice attractive, but he was a wild animal. Anastay rolled her eyes, focusing on the animal.

“Alex McLean.”

He’s sheriff?

“Yes.”

Stay away from him.’

“I already had THAT plan,” Anastay stressed as she leaned back. She felt something poke her back. Anastay’s memory lapsed quickly. She reached back and snatched the book from her back pocket. Her eyes grew wide as she read the inscription of the name: My Love, Grace.

You found the journal?’ Howard exclaimed into Anastay’s head. She cringed as Howard whimpered and then gave a growl when she didn’t seem to pay attention to his inquiry. She narrowed her eyes in confusion, not understanding why it was of such value to a wolf.

“Of course,” she answered. “This is the journal from my dreams and I got it from that old mansion.”

That is Grace’s journal!

“Yes, Howard,” Anastay answered. She went to peek at the fading pages, but she heard Howard’s sharp growl. Her head snapped up in time to see his lethal jaws snatch away the book. The fur on his sleek back rose. Anastay fell back in her porch-swing with shock. He had never been so aggressive with her before, but since she didn’t fear him it seemed natural to snap back. “What the HELL is your problem?”

You can not read that yet,’ he told her sharply.

“Why? You told me to get it.”

I need to tell you a story first.

“What kind of story?” Anastay asked, raising her eyebrows with curiosity. She watched Howard run out into her backyard, disappearing behind the brush. He snatched a small pouch with his muscular jaws and returned with quick strides to the porch. He set it at his side, staring intently at her with his dark eyes. “What story?”

A story of the past.’

“About the dreams?” she asked hopefully.

Yes, the beginning of everything in this town.’

“Okay,” Anastay answered, perking up. She quickly put to memory what Elania had told her about the mansion. She planned to match up the stories. She didn’t know why, but she had faith in Howard. Even though many might think she was crazy, she trusted Howard.

The mansion belonged to a powerful man. He owned most of Canine’s Rose, and dabbled in some sorts of magic, but nothing too dangerous. He was a generous man and no one really bothered him. He helped everyone in town, and his goodness and magic were known to everyone.

“That doesn’t sound so bad. So, if he was so generous, why should I fear everyone in Canine’s Rose?”

There is two parts to the story.

“Oh.”

There was another family in Canine’s Rose. The man hunted on a regular basis with his son. They were evil – maybe too evil. However, one night, the man’s son came across a wolf. He fought and wrestled with the animal, only to be bitten. The only problem was, the wolf had a curse on it. The next night, the son turned into the wolf. He went insane with his discovery, and his father threatened to write him out of the will.

“Oh, that’s bad…”

He decided that he would change and he knew the man in the mansion could do it. However, the man refused to change him, knowing that the curse would teach him a lesson. He only helped the good. The son grew angry with it and vowed revenge.

“Revenge? What kind of revenge? Everyone knew he was a wizard. He couldn’t do anything to him that could possibly be that terrible, could he?”

He could use magic against him. He was seeing a woman in town. She was young and deflowered very early by him. Therefore, he passed the word along that the man in the mansion had put a spell over the young lady. He told them that the spell was one of love, so he could use her body.

Meanwhile, the man of the mansion was seeking your great-great-grandmother’s courtship. Their families were good friends and went back ages ago. They were always seen together, so it was natural that man should fall for woman, and that woman shall fall for man. She loved him so, and he as well. She said she would die for him, and she did.

“What?” Anastay squeaked, her eyes growing bitterly cold. She struggled to comprehend the importance of the story. Howard’s dark eyes turned to soft velvet and she felt her own eyes prick with tears.

The son started the rumor, and soon, everyone was coming after his girlfriend and the man of the mansion. He had rumored that his girlfriend decided to join the man’s dark arts, and she was burned at the stake. The man decided to run. He had a young son, but the son was supposed to be hidden from harm.

Grace knew of the man’s plans, and promised to help. She promised to save his son, but died trying. That night, the man slipped away as the girlfriend burned on the stake. Before the man ran, he gave Grace an amulet of protection. He promised that with that amulet, she could protect herself and his son. Grace was searching to find the son, but the dark wolf caught her. He ripped off the amulet, and Grace died for love.

“I saw that in my dream,” Anastay murmured in shock. She didn’t realize that’s why her great-great-grandmother had died. She bowed her head in silence for a moment.

Anastay, here,’ Howard called into her head. Anastay glanced up to see him push the small pouch with his snout. Anastay took the pouch and opened it. Her jaw dropped in surprise. ‘You wear this for protection.’

“THE AMULET!” she screeched in true surprise, which seemed to place a smirk on Howard’s face. The necklace of love given to her ancestor now lay in her own hands. It was a beautiful jewel and represented so much to Anastay. It was a dark emerald coloring, and embedded in a bright silver casing. The metal was engraved with wolves dancing around the sides with fire. She glanced up as Howard nodded for her to put it on. She felt the cool metal against her skin as she fingered the delicate details. “How did you find it?”

That’s the rest I need to tell you.

“How do I fit in, Howard? I don’t understand. I know it was my great-great-grandmother, but everyone is dead. No one can survive into this century. Why must I watch out for others? I don’t see how I fit into this puzzling history.”

Anastay, there is some more I need to say.

“Go ahead.”

Before Howard could speak, Taco yipped crazily with obvious disturbance. There was a soft cracking of branches that put both animals in a state of unrest. The blonde hairs began to rise on the back of Anastay’s neck as the amulet grew fiery against her skin. She looked to see Alex walking toward the back of her porch.

Howard!” Anastay whispered hoarsely for protection.

“Whom are you talking with?” Alex’s voice boomed.

Anastay jumped with fright, hurriedly slipping the amulet into her shirt for protection. She knew Alex hated wolves. She glanced into her yard to see that Howard was gone. She looked on her porch – the pouch was also gone. She breathed a sigh of relief, glancing up at Alex. “I was talking to Taco.”

“Taco?” Alex asked with misgivings.

“Yes, I always talk to him. He’s like family.”

“How…pleasant…” Alex trailed, glancing at Anastay’s profile. He was checking up on her, deciding if she was causing trouble. He narrowed his eyes to the piece of jewelry glittering on her slim neck. When she bent to tie her shoe, he noticed the glitter of a deep green nestled between the soft crevice of her breasts. He felt his breath go short – the amulet.

“Are you feeling well?” Anastay asked stiffly as she noticed his pale complexion. She narrowed her eyes at him, wondering what his malfunction could possible be. She didn’t like the hazy look in his eyes. She went to go inside, but Alex blocked her against the door.

“I think we should go to dinner, alone,” he said suddenly.

“I don’t think we’re compatible, Alex,” Anastay whispered.

“I think we’re perfect.”

“No, Alex.”

“Anastay, you must say yes,” he threatened. He clamped his hand down on her bruised wrist, squeezing tighter. He would not take ‘no’ for an answer. He always got what he wanted when it came to the opposite sex and Anastay was no different. She would obey him or suffer a heavy wrath.

“Elania is looking for you. Why don’t you take her to dinner? She’s quite interested in you, Alex. I think you two would make a great couple,” Anastay said shakily. She could honestly admit that she feared him.

“Elania will never do. I want you, Anastay.”

“Let go of my arm,” she said, changing the subject.

“Say yes to dinner.”

“Alex!”

“Anastay,” Alex growled, tightening his grip.

Anastay winced at the pain he was causing. She could get out no other way. One night wouldn’t kill her. She took a deep breath, narrowing her eyes. “Fine, Alex! One date, and that’s all!”