- Text Size +
Chapter 3 ~ Meeting in the Sunset

Anastay decided to let Alex know that she wasn’t interested in him, and went home after cleaning up the office. She would be opening up her family practice on Monday, if she could find a nurse. She took a deep breath as the sun started to set into the valley, leaving bright streaks of color in the pale sky.

Taco yipped impatiently as he scratched at the door. Anastay gave him a frustrated groan as she pushed her door open, letting the dog run hurriedly into the house. “Yes, oh great king, let me bow to your every need.”

Taco never answered her. Anastay figured he went running straight to his fancy doghouse that Anastay had bought for indoor use. She had no children to lavish with gifts, and so she settled with lavishing her attention on Taco.

Anastay walked into her living room and plopped on her velvety sofa. She sank right into the old fabric. She had this couch since she was a child. She could recall sitting on her father’s lap while she read him tales of wolves and magic lands. She could still smell her father’s aftershave on the couch.

Anastay found it eerie that this used to be her father’s house. She had stayed here as a young child, until her mother had ran off. Then her father moved her to the city. She had already decorated her house, knowing it meant a lot to her father for her to live there.

Her bedroom was upstairs and to the left, and the first door. Her room was done in bright purples and blue jean materials. She was still a child at heart, which was demonstrated through her choices of music, clothing, furniture, and other things. Her grandmother had crafted her bedspread. It was done with colors of purple patches, blue jean patches, and blue jean pockets.

The bathroom was attached through Anastay’s bedroom and the hallway. She had decided to have dolphins decorate the bathroom. Beautiful scenes of dolphins and Orcas leaping from the sunset colored oceans leapt at anyone who entered the bathroom.

Anastay had formed the other bedroom into her study. All of her medical books were arranged carefully in the shelving. Her computer sat on a mahogany desk, and a leather chair was tucked safely beneath the desk. There was a chair in the room for when Anastay need to do some research in her medical books. She would get the most use out of that room.

Downstairs held her kitchen, living room, and another bathroom. The kitchen led to her fancy in ground pool. Her father had adored the water as much as she did. She was thankful that he had someone come earlier to prepare it.

“Taco! Mommy wants to go for a swim!” Anastay announced loudly as she stood up. A dip in the pool would relax her from a heavy day of unpacking her office. She was about to run upstairs, but her phone rang shrilly. “Damnit,” she cursed as she picked up the phone, “Hello?”

“Is this Dr. Lontenz?” a female voice asked perkily.

“This is she, how may I help you?”

“You put an add in the paper for a nurse, correct?”

“Yes, are you responding to the add?”

“Would I be on the phone asking about it, when in reality I wanted to get you to buy some cosmetics,” the woman teased with a light sarcasm misting her voice. Anastay chuckled to herself as the women let go of a flirty laugh. “Is the position still open?”

“I’m not really sure about the cosmetics, but the nursing position is definitely still open.”

“Can I be the one to fill it?”

“Are you qualified?”

“Four year degree, registered nurse.”

“Any experience?”

“The hospital is about an hour out of town. To tell you the truth, it’s a pain in the ass to get there and back. Though, I was working to be the head nurse.”

“Sounds like I might take a risk.”

“Do you do that often?”

“Not really.”

“So, I get the job?”

“Monday is the first day. Be there at eight,” Anastay replied as she watched the moon start to glimmer in the darkened sky. She frowned, wondering if she would feel safe enough to take a midnight dip.

“Thanks so much!” the woman squealed.

“Wait!” Anastay blurted with laughter.

“What?”

“Your name?”

“Oh,” the woman chuckled sheepishly. “Elania Feethar, but most people in this town just shorten it to El.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you going to tell me a little about yourself?” Elania blurted quickly. Anastay almost instantly realized that Elania was quite the talker and very inquisitive – most nurses were.

“I’m your employer,” Anastay replied hastily, not comfortable with sharing her information with a female that she had never met before. What if she was just like Sheriff McLean? She crawled back onto her couch.

“I know that, but Alex has been saying–”

“Sheriff McLean?” Anastay gritted.

“Obviously he’s met you,” Elania giggled.

“How can you tell?”

“You sound pissed off.”

“He’s not the best welcome wagon, if that’s what you’re indicating.”

“Well, I could introduce you around?” Elania offered.

“I don’t–”

“Everyone is sure excited to meet you. Please?”

“I…”

“Meet me tomorrow at noon at the office. Okay?” Elania told her quickly. She gave a quick goodbye and hung up the phone, never giving Anastay time to disagree.

Anastay groaned heavily as she felt Taco lick her ankle. She glanced down at him and smile, patting the seat beside her. Taco eagerly jumped up and curled by her side. Anastay shook her head as she heard another howl in the night. She felt shivers creep down her spine as she glanced out the window. The moon was full that night, and it sat directly above the creepy mansion. Tingles spread through Anastay’s body as the moon cast an eerie glow on the decaying house. Anastay took a sharp intake of breath as she looked harder at the house, noticing another color not familiar with decaying matter – red.