- Text Size +
Chapter 6 ~ Forbidden

Elania watched as Anastay shakily collapsed onto her leather chair. She popped a few more pills into her mouth and hungrily drank the water in her bottle. Elania thought that Anastay was acting odd. She tilted her head in wonder, “You okay? Nervous about the first day?”

“I’m more nervous about last night,” Anastay replied dryly as she smoothed the taped bandage on her palm. She had a few nasty cuts from the rose bushes last night. She had hoped everything had been a horrid dream, but her injuries ached with a reminder.

“What happened last night?”

“Nothing.”

“Well, you could have gone out with Alex,” Elania told her as she leaned against the desk. Today was Anastay’s first official day of business. She would open her doors in about ten minutes.

"I didn’t want to go out with Sheriff McLean.”

“Why?”

“Because I was at home washing my hair.”

“He said he was looking for you last night, but you weren’t at your house,” Elania told her. Anastay glanced at Elania with a small amount of fear. Had Alex followed her? Where had he been when she was facing that wolf?

“So? I don’t hear things when the shower’s running."

“You lie terribly!” Elania laughed.

“I’m sorry.”

“Where were you last night?”

“Out.”

“Where?”

“I went into town.”

“That’s like an hour drive!”

“I know.”

“How’d you cut your hand up?”

Anastay blanked. She knew that Elania was extremely curious as to her whereabouts last night. Anastay didn’t know why she was being so secretive, however. Therefore, she went and looked at some property, it wasn’t like she killed a person. She just saw a wolf. She knew she was crazy, but that’s what she saw.

“Anastay?” Elania voiced again.

“What?”

“Where were you?”

“I’m going to ask you a stupid question.”

“What?”

“Have you had any cases of wolves in this area?”

Elania’s face actually went pale. She narrowed her dark eyes at her new friend and employer. She didn’t need to ask anything else. Elania knew where she had been. She took a deep breath and grasped the desk, holding onto it tightly. “Anastay, you cut your hands on the roses, didn’t you?”

“What the Hell, how did you know?” Anastay asked, becoming leery.

“Because, it was obvious.”

“No, it wasn’t.”

“Anastay–”

“Are there wolves?”

Before Elania could answer, Alex came striding into the office. Taco rose from his pillow and growled loudly at Alex. Anastay’s body became icy with remembrance of the wolf. She gave Elania another cold glance.

“Hello, ladies!” Alex greeted brightly.

“Elania–“

“No, there isn’t,” Elania told her forcefully.

“Aren’t what?” Alex asked as he leaned against the large receptionist desk. Anastay backed her chair up and stood up, allowing Elania to sit down and do her job.

“There aren’t any patients other than you, today,” Anastay replied as nicely as she could possibly be. She grabbed her charts and started back to the examining room.

“Anastay!” Elania whispered loudly.

“What?” Anastay asked.

“I’ll tell you later.”

***
Anastay peeled her lab coat from her work-weary body and placed it on the rack. She watched as Elania hurriedly cleaned up the necessary supplies. Anastay had been yearning to corner Elania and make her fess up about the mansion.

Taco yipped impatiently at Anastay’s heels. He had been a great help today in the waiting room. Many children had come in for the school vaccinations. He calmed their fears in the waiting room, and made it easier for Anastay to do her job. She bent down to ruffle her puppy’s ears.

“You’ve been at my heels all day!” Elania blurted without any hesitation as she placed the tray of instruments on the counter. She turned around and placed her hands firmly on her hips. “It’s driving me crazy, Anastay!”

“Look, it’s my job, you are my nurse and I need my utensils!” Anastay exclaimed, trying not to laugh. Elania had scrunched up her nose in distaste and her bottom lip stuck out in a dark pout. She looked adorable in that state. Even Anastay admitted that much.

“Anastay, you know what I mean!” Elania exaggerated.

Anastay had been caught. She took a deep breath and looked at Taco before continuing. “I’m sorry, I have been a little clingy today.”

“A little? Please! You were like fly paper on a man’s back hair!”

“Too explicit!”

“Sorry,” Elania gave a little giggle of an apology.

“I just want to know the story behind the mansion.”

“There’s no story,” Elania suddenly faltered.

“You told me you’d tell me later.”

"And I’m telling you to stay away from that place. People have gotten seriously hurt up there. I want you to stay away from there, for your own sake.”

“Why?”

“Because, just stay away.”

“Elania, I got seriously injured by a rosebush, and you’re not going to tell me what’s going on up there?”

“Just stay away, it’s forbidden!” Elania exclaimed
as she grabbed her coat, walked out, and slammed the door behind her.