- Text Size +
CHAPTER ONE

In what was beginning to be a fruitless attempt to keep her self warm from the biting wind, sixteen-year-old Miranda Sparrow pulled her jacket tighter around herself and continued walking.
‘You shouldn’t be out in that, dear,’ an old woman told her as she stepped into the small shop.
‘I’ll be fine,’ Miranda answered and set off to the bakery section for the bread her sister had sent her to get. As she often did, Miranda walked with her arms crossed over her chest and her head down. She was a few steps from the bakery when she ran into something so solid; it could’ve only been a someone. Miranda lifted her head slightly and looked into the cool blue eyes of the person standing before her. ‘Sorry,’ she mumbled and hurried past him. Miranda purchased the bread and set off on her way home. While she had been in the shop, it had started to rain heavily and within minutes, she was soaked. Rounding the second to last corner to the apartment she shared with her sister small hailstones began to fall and Miranda broke into a run. The pieces of ice hit the back of her neck and stung for a short while after. She pressed the apartment buzzer and her sister’s voice spoke crackly in reply.
‘Who is it?’
‘It’s me, let me in!’ Miranda said desperately. There was a small beep of the door being unlocked and Miranda hurried inside. She ran up the three flights of stairs and banged on the door with a gold number twelve on it. The door swung open and Miranda all but fell inside.
‘Did you get the bread?’ Aden, Miranda’s sister, asked. Miranda held the white plastic bag out and Aden took it from her. ‘Go and change, you’ll get pneumonia.’ Miranda walked to her small bedroom and changed into her pyjamas and walked back into the living room. ‘Why didn’t you get a taxi home if it was raining?’ Aden asked, sitting at the table. Miranda shrugged.
‘I didn’t have enough money with me.’

After a while, Miranda became bored with the soap opera on television decided to go to bed. She lay there, staring at the ceiling, listening to the rain pelt her window and found she really didn’t have any desire to sleep at all. She turned on her lamp that sat on her bed stand, got out of bed and walked to her window. The sky was an eerie, inky blue colour and every now and then, became streaked with lightning. There was a meowing at the door, followed by the sound of the carpet being clawed at. Miranda walked to her door and opened it, her black and white cat called Bump walked in with her tail in the air. Bump jumped onto Miranda’s bed and Miranda went back to her window. There was another flash of lighting and a figure was illuminated standing across the street, looking up at her. It was wearing a long black coat and the rest of their clothes – as far as Miranda could tell – were black as well. Their hair stood out though. It was white-blond and hung to their shoulders. But it didn’t look wet. This confused Miranda because usually when one stands in the rain, one’s hair usually gets wet. Another flash of lightning and the figure was gone. Jumping to her feet, Miranda dove under her bed and retrieved the torch she kept there in case there was a power out. She turned the torch on, opened her window and shone it out. There was no one there. But where did they go? No one can move that fast. They can’t have just disappeared, that’s impossible. Deciding the person must have crossed the street; Miranda put on her trainers and her coat, picked up her door keys and ran out of the apartment, hoping against all hope that she didn’t wake Aden. Down the three flights of stairs and into the lobby. The security guard snorted in his sleep as Miranda wrenched open the door and ran outside into the rain. She shone the torch up and down the street and found it was empty. There weren’t even any cars on the road. Miranda walked into the middle of the road and looked around, aware of the booming thunder and flashes of lightning getting nearer and nearer.
‘Where’d you go?’ Miranda mumbled, still shining the torch around the deserted street. She was, once again, soaked to the bone and very cold. Her hair stuck to her neck and face and her jacket felt as though it was full of lead. Miranda began walking back towards the footpath, when there was a defining clap of thunder and the brightest flash of lighting Miranda had ever seen. For a moment, all she could feel was electricity running through her body from the tips of her fingers to the tips of her toes and through every fibre of her being. As quickly as it begun, it stoped and Miranda fell to the ground, unconscious.

A/N~ Sorry it's so short. It really is just the beginning.

- Bella