- Text Size +
‘Will she be okay, professor?’
‘I’m sure she will be, Mr Malfoy…’
‘Her hand twitched, is she waking up?’
‘Please. Keep your voices down…’
There was a mixture of pain and fog swimming around in Miranda’s head. The voices were unrecognisable and sounded as if they were coming from a long way away. Miranda groaned and opened her eyes slowly.
‘She’s awake!’ one of the voices said.
‘Mr Malfoy, how many times do I have to tell you?’ another said.
‘Sorry, Madame Pomfrey,’ the first voice replied a little quieter. Miranda felt a warm hand on her shoulder.
‘Miss Sparrow, are you okay?’ this voice sounded old, but it was deep.
‘My head hurts,’ Miranda mumbled, letting her eyes adjust to the dim light of the room she was in. It looked somewhat like a hospital, but nothing like any of the hospitals Miranda had been in before. The walls were stone and the ceiling was high and arched like a cathedral. There were tall, narrow, stained glass windows at even intervals along the wall opposite Miranda letting in slivers of moonlight. The soft voice spoke again.
‘I guess it would when you’ve been struck by lightning.’
‘I – what?’ Had Miranda heard wrong? Did he just say struck by lightning?
‘Mr Malfoy found you in the middle of the road,’ the soft voice told her, waving his hand at the boy standing next to him. Miranda recognised him immediately.
‘You,’ she almost whispered. ‘You’ve been following me. You were in the super market before and outside my window as well. And you were at the race last week! I raced you!’ The race in question was not Miranda’s first. Her and her sister had been part of a street racing team for two years. Street racing is not like normal racing. The stakes are higher, the crowds are bigger and the cars are a lot faster.
‘Pink and black Subaru, I remember,’ the boy nodded. ‘You drive well.’ Miranda shrugged.
‘Where am I?’ Miranda asked, looking around the large room.
‘You are at Hogwarts,’ the old man replied.
‘Hog – who’s, sorry?’
‘Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I am the headmaster here, Professor Albus Dumbledore. This is the school matron, Madam Pomfrey and Draco Malfoy, a seventh year here,’ the old man told her.
‘And how do you know me?’ Miranda’s eyes were trained on Professor Dumbledore.
‘Draco found this on you.’ He held up Miranda’s driver’s licence.
‘I bet he knew who I was well before that,’ Miranda scoffed.
‘True. I did. I've been following you for a while actually,’ Draco said
‘Why have you been following me? What is this, like a witness protection program or something?’ Miranda was becoming annoyed.
‘Madam Pomfrey, will you give us a moment please?’ Professor Dumbledore said kindly to the matron.
‘I really must see to her wounds, Professor,’ she protested.
‘I assure you, it will only take a moment.’ The matron nodded and left. Dumbledore turned back to Miranda.
‘Can someone please tell me what’s going on?’ Miranda said, exasperated.
‘Certainly. I have asked Mr Malfoy to follow you for the last few weeks because I believe you could be of some assistance to us. You see, it was written many years ago, that a girl who could aid our fight against Voldemort would not be one of our own. That she would be a muggle until such time as her powers were…how you could say jumpstarted. It seams the bolt of lightning that hit you did just that.’ Dumbledore said this very slowly and clearly and all Miranda could do was listen to what he had to say.
‘What do you mean by muggle and what powers are you talking about?’ she asked when he finished.
‘Muggles are people with no magical abilities. The power Professor Dumbledore is talking about is – well – powerful. You’re a witch,’ Draco answered. Miranda’s mouth fell open. A what?
‘Come again?’
‘You are a witch, Miss Sparrow - ’
‘Call me Miranda.’
‘Miranda. A very powerful one I would suspect. Which is why I asked Draco to bring you to me,’ Dumbledore said, his voice unnaturally soft and calm.
‘And what are you going to do? Squish it out of me?’ Miranda asked sardonically. Dumbledore chuckled. What’s he laughing at?
‘No. Quite the contrary actually. You see, the magical world is at war and I believe you can help the light side in a great way.’
‘War? Well why don’t you just…blow the other side up or something?’ Miranda said eyebrows raised.
‘A magical war is somewhat different from a non-magical war, Miranda. In a muggle war, you use guns and bombs. In magical war, we use spells and hexes. In my opinion, our way is much better and more accurate,’ Dumbledore explained.
‘So what makes you think I can help you? How do you know you’ve got the right girl? There’s this girl at my school, she’s totally into witchcraft and stuff like that. Maybe you need her,’ Miranda said. Dumbledore was looking at her, as if searching her mind.
‘There’s no need to be afraid of power, Miranda,’ he said softly.
‘I’m not afraid!’ Miranda replied indignantly. ‘I just don’t see how I can be a witch. It’s impossible.’ Dumbledore seemed to be arguing with himself in his mind. Finally, he looked up.
‘If you will, Miranda, hold up your hand, palm open towards that pillow,’ he pointed towards the bed opposite Miranda, ‘and concentrate on calling it to you.’ Miranda did as she was told. She opened her hand and held it in a “stop” gesture towards the pillow. C’mon, come here. Come on you stupid pillow! She thought, concentrating as hard as she could. Before she knew it, the pillow was zooming at her head and hit her in the face.
‘Thank God you have soft pillows,’ she said, her voice muffled. The pillow fell to the floor.
‘Do you believe us now?’ Draco said, picking up the pillow and putting at the end of Miranda’s bed. Miranda sat up in her bed and looked at Dumbledore and Draco.
‘Okay, so I’m a witch. Now what?’ she asked.
‘You need to be trained. Not only in wandless magic, but also normal magic and potions and a few other things I’d like to throw in,’ Dumbledore said, walking to the other side of Miranda’s bed.
‘What do you mean “Wandless magic”?’ Miranda asked.
‘Magic without a wand. In short sorcery,’ Draco told her.
‘So normal magic would be…?’ Miranda prompted.
‘Magic with a wand. Which is what is taught here,’ Dumbledore replied. ‘And potions is exactly what is implies.’
‘So who is going to teach me all of this? And where do I get a wand?’ Miranda asked. This whole theory was beginning to make a little more sense. Just a little.
‘Draco will be teaching some of the easier spells, enchantments, et cetera. I, on the other hand, will be teaching you sorcery. There are few people who will be told about you real reasons for being here. All of whom you will meet tomorrow,’ Dumbledore said. Miranda nodded.
‘And a wand?’
‘I’ll take you to Diagon Alley in the morning and you can get one there,’ Draco said, sounding very proud of himself indeed.
‘Okay. Uh, what time is it?’ Miranda asked. The sun was now beginning to rise and filter sunlight through the windows.
‘It is almost five thirty in the morning,’ Dumbledore tole her.
‘Are you finished, Professor? May I tend to my patient now?’ Madam Pomfrey was back, her wand out.
‘Certainly, Poppy. Would you mind terribly if Mr Malfoy remained to look after Miss Sparrow?’ Dumbledore asked.
‘It’s really up to the patient,’ Madam Pomfrey replied.
‘Miranda?’ Dumbledore looked down at her.
‘He can stay if he wants to.’ Miranda shrugged.
‘Very well, thank you, Professor,’ Madame Pomfrey said briskly and Dumbledore left the hospital. ‘Welcome to Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow.’ Madam Pomfrey smiled.
‘Thank you. Call me Miranda please,’ Miranda replied.
‘Right. Now. Lets see about these injuries, shall we? Lay back, Miranda, there’s a good girl.’ Miranda laid back and Madam Pomfrey looked over her. ‘If you don’t mind, please lift your shirt,’ Miranda did as she was told and Madam Pomfrey gasped.
‘What? What’s wrong?’ Draco asked looking down at Miranda’s naked torso. ‘Oh.’
‘My goodness,’ Madam Pomfrey muttered.
‘Are you going to tell me?’ Miranda asked irritably.
‘This mark. I expect the lightning has left it. I've never seen anything like it, well, I have but on a much smaller scale and for different reasons of course,’ Madam Pomfrey said.
‘Can I see it?’ Miranda said trying to sit up.
‘Stay right where you are,’ Madam Pomfrey said pushing her back down. She waved her wand and a mirror appeared out of nowhere. She handed it to Miranda; who held it over her stomach.
‘Shit,’ Miranda murmured. There was a rather large lightning bolt mark beginning somewhere under her shirt and ending just below her belly button. It was an angry red colour and while it looked very painful, it didn’t hurt a bit. Miranda handed the mirror back to Madam Pomfrey.
‘Does it hurt?’ Draco asked softly.
‘You know, actually it doesn’t. I can’t feel a thing. Except my head hurts,’ Miranda replied.
‘I’ll still have to run a few quick tests, just to make sure you’re not internally injured,’ Madam Pomfrey told her. Miranda nodded and lay back on the pillows again.

Madam Pomfrey didn’t finish with the “quick” tests until an hour later. As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with Miranda’s health and her head was only sore because she’d hit it on the ground when she fell. Once Madam Pomfrey announced this, she told Miranda to go to sleep, which she did with out argument.
Miranda woke four hours later feeling a lot better, but still a little sleepy. Hogwarts was buzzing with the noise of a Saturday morning and by the sound of it, there were quite a substantial number of students attending. Through the windows, Miranda could see a bright blue sky and the top of a mass of trees.
‘Good morning,’ Draco said. By the look of it, he hadn’t gone to where ever he sleeps usually all night.
‘Were you here all night?’ Miranda asked. Draco rubbed his eyes sleepily and nodded.
‘Dumbledore told me to watch over you,’ he yawned.
‘I’m sure I would have been fine. You need to sleep too you know,’ Miranda told him.
‘I did, kind of. Anyway, Dumbledore wanted me to take you to his office to meet everyone else.’ Draco shrugged. ‘Is she okay to go, Madam Pomfrey?’ Draco asked as the matron came over to Miranda’s bedside.
‘Well yes, but she’ll need some clothes. I doubt she’d want to walk around the school in her pyjamas,’ Madam Pomfrey replied. Draco bent down and took a pair of pants and a grey jumper out of a bag by his feet and put them on the bed.
‘They’re mine. They’ll probably be a little big for you, but it’s better than walking around naked, right?’ Draco smiled.
‘Thanks,’ Miranda said sitting up.
‘Mr Malfoy, please excuse yourself while Miranda gets changed,’ Madam Pomfrey said shortly.
‘Yes, ma’am.’ Draco nodded and stepped through the door that obviously led out of the hospital. Miranda got out of bed and began to dress. Luckily she still had her underwear on, as it would have caused quite a bit of trouble – no to mention embarrassment - if she didn’t. She pulled Draco’s jumper over her head and flicked her hair out of the collar. Draco was right. The pants and jumper were too big for her. Miranda was short, no more than five foot two and she was rather skinny for her age. Draco was apparently very tall (Miranda had guessed almost six foot) and looked very well built indeed. The sleaves of the jumper covered her hands and it hung almost to her knees. The pants only just sat on her hips but the legs bunched up at the bottom something awful. She found her trainers and pulled them on and opened the door and stepped out of the hospital looking around for Draco. She spotted him talking to a girl with blonde hair and a face that rather resembled a pug dog. Quietly, Miranda made her way over to them (she’d folded up the bottoms of the pants so she didn’t trip up), and cleared her throat.
‘Who are you?’ the girl asked. Miranda looked down at the floor and tucked her hair behind her ear, not knowing how to respond. Draco turned around and looked as though he was about to laugh.
‘Pansy, this is Miranda Sparrow. She’s my, uh, cousin. O-on Mother’s side,’ Draco said hastily. Pansy looked Miranda up and down in disgust.
‘Why is she wearing your clothes?’ Pansy asked accusingly.
‘Uh b-because, um,’ Draco stuttered.
‘Because I came in last night and didn’t have any of my own; I kind of left home in a hurry,’ Miranda lied.
‘And what’s that?’ Pansy pointed to Miranda’s chest. Miranda looked down and saw the top of the lightning bolt mark protruding from the top of the jumper. Damn v-neck’s Miranda thought savagely.
‘It’s a scar. I fell off a…’ she looked out the window and saw a few students walking across the grass with broomsticks over their shoulders. ‘Broomstick. I fell off a broomstick.’
‘Do you play?’ Pansy asked. Play what?
‘Sure I do.’ Miranda nodded.
‘What position?’ Pansy said crossing her arms.
‘Miranda is a Seeker, Pansy. I thought I told you about her. No? Oh well, we have to go. See you later.’ Draco grabbed Miranda’s arm and dragged her away from Pansy.
‘Who was that?’ Miranda asked as they climbed a flight of stairs.
‘Pansy Parkinson she’s convinced I’m her boyfriend,’ Draco said shuddering slightly.
‘What’s a Seeker?’ Miranda said looking back at Pansy.
‘I’ll explain later,’ Draco said. ‘You look like a midget in my clothes, you know.’ He began to laugh.
‘That’s my fault is it?’ Miranda said punching his arm.
‘Ouch. No, but you just look funny, that’s all. I've never seen my clothes on a girl before,’ Draco admitted.
‘Really?’ Miranda raised her eyebrows.
‘I swear. They usually have their own.’ He grinned. They stopped in front of a big stone gargoyle.
‘Sugar Quill,’ Draco said. Sugar what? The gargoyle sprang to life and jumped out of the way. The wall behind it slid apart to reveal a moving spiral staircase. Miranda and Draco stepped onto it and waited until it stopped in front of a large wooden door with a brass griffin on it. Draco opened the door and ushered Miranda in.
‘Good morning, Miranda.’ Dumbledore smiled.
‘Good morning, Professor Dumbledore,’ Miranda replied.
‘I trust you slept well?’ Dumbledore asked. Miranda wasn’t paying attention. She was looking around the office at all the people assembled there. Sitting on a couch near the fireplace were three teenagers about Draco’s age. A girl with bushy brown hair and brown eyes was sitting on the couch between a boy with glasses and messy back hair and another boy with bright red hair and lots of freckles. Standing behind Dumbledore’s desk was obviously a teacher. He had greasy black hair and didn’t look very thrilled to be there. There was also an old, strict looking woman with her hair pulled into a tight bun. They were all looking at Miranda expectantly.
‘Miranda?’ Dumbledore said, startling her.
‘What? Oh, yes. I slept fine, thank you.’ Miranda smiled.
‘Well, on to business.’ Dumbledore stood up. ‘Everyone, this is Miranda Sparrow, she’s here to held aid the Light Side in our fight against Lord Voldemort.’ A shudder ran around the room as if Dumbledore had said something wrong. Dumbledore continued, ‘Miranda, this is Ronald Weasley - ’
‘Call me Ron,’ the red haired boy said nodding.
‘Hermione Granger - ’
‘Nice to meet you.’ The girl smiled.
‘ - And Harry Potter.’ The black haired boy nodded in Miranda’s direction.
‘Harry is the most important part of our fight against the Dark Side and you’ll be working closely with him,’ Dumbledore told Miranda who just nodded. ‘This is our Potions Master, Professor Severus Snape.’ Dumbledore gestured towards the greasy haired man. ‘And the deputy headmistress and transfiguration professor; Minerva McGonagall.’ The old woman nodded shortly. ‘You will be working with these people, Mr Malfoy and myself.’
‘If I might, Headmaster,’ Snape said. ‘What use to us is the girl?’
‘Miranda is the second most important and powerful person in our fight Severus. The other, of course, being Harry. Of course she’ll need to learn everything from first year onwards as quickly as possible. I expect everyone to help her and aid her if she needs it,’ Dumbledore told everyone. ‘Miss Granger,’ Dumbledore said to the girl on the couch.
‘Yes, Professor?’ Hermione replied.
‘I would like you and Mr Malfoy to help Miranda learn all the basic charms and spells, please. Once she can perform them, I would like you to help her with the more complex ones,’ Dumbledore said sternly, leaving Hermione no room to object.
‘Yes, sir.’ Hermione nodded.
‘Mr Weasley, if you would, train Miranda in one on one combat?’ Dumbledore said to Ron.
‘Dueling, sir? Ron asked. Dumbledore shook his head.
‘Martial Arts, Mr Weasley. You’re mother informed me you’ve been taking lessons in the summer holidays.’
‘Oh. O-of course, sir,’ Ron nodded.
‘What would you like me to do, Headmaster?’ Snape asked, stepping around the desk.
‘You will teach her Occlumency. Miranda and Harry will begin lessons at once and I expect both of you to apply your selves. I would also like you to teach her the basics of Potions as well, ’ Dumbledore said. Miranda and Harry nodded mutely. What on earth is Occlu-whatsit? Miranda asked her self.
‘Harry and Miranda will be taking lessons with me on Sorcery,’ Dumbledore told the group. ‘Everyone here is to keep Miranda’s reasons for being here a secret from the rest of the student body.’
‘Professor?’ Draco said. Miranda jumped slightly, forgetting he was there. ‘I've already told Pansy Parkinson Miranda’s my cousin.’
‘Well that’s that then,’ Ron scoffed. ‘The whole school will know by lunch time.’
‘Ron, that wasn’t very nice. Very true, but not very nice,’ Hermione said.
‘Professor Dumbledore,’ Harry said quietly but seriously. He struck Miranda as the strong, silent, dark and brooding, type.
‘Yes Harry?’
‘When is all this going to start? It’s just the Quidditch season starts soon and Ron and I’ll have practise,’ Harry said. Next to him, Ron was nodding.
‘The lesson for you and Miss Sparrow will begin on Monday evening at eight o’clock, right here,’ Dumbledore said.
‘Headmaster, what house will Miss Sparrow be studying under?’ Snape asked.
‘I’m not sure,’ Dumbledore said looking at Miranda. ‘Do you have a preference, Miranda?’
‘I’d rather study in a house instead of under it,’ Miranda replied.
‘Here at Hogwarts, Miss Sparrow, there are four different houses. Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. They’re like teams, I suppose. Each student is sorted into a house in their first year and remain in that house until they graduate seven years later,’ Dumbledore explained.
‘Oh. Sorry.’ Miranda felt her face redden with embarrassment.
‘So which house would you like to be in. We wont bother sorting you, it takes to much time,’ Dumbledore asked. Miranda looked down at Draco’s jumper. On the left side there was a small crest with a snake on it. It said “Slytherin” underneath.
‘Slytherin?’ Miranda replied.
‘Good choice,’ Snape said. Ron’s mouth dropped open.
‘Very well, Miss Sparrow. Draco will show you to your common room and give you a tour of the castle,’ Dumbledore said. Miranda nodded and followed Draco out of the office and back down the staircase.
‘You nervous?’ Draco asked, as they began making their way down several flights of stairs.
‘Nervous? Are you kidding? I’m petrified,’ Miranda replied. Draco chuckled slightly. ‘So what’s with Harry? He hardly said boo,’ Miranda asked. She and Draco entered a huge lobby type room and headed off down another staircase.
‘Potter’s been like that ever since his godfather was murdered two years ago. He used to be a real smart arse, but he’s not anymore,’ Draco explained.
‘That’s really sad,’ Miranda said.
‘Yeah. We used to absolutely hate each other as well. We got into a fight one time and he got banned from Quidditch,’ Draco explained.
‘Used to? As in you don’t hate each other anymore?’
‘Nah. We got over it. Decided we’re both on the same side, so why fight?’ Draco shrugged.
‘Fair enough,’ Miranda said. ‘Uh, where are we?’
‘In the dungeons. It’s where the Slytherin common room is. The other house’s common rooms are in towers, but not ours.’ They stopped in front of another stone wall. ‘Salazar,’ Draco said to the wall and it melted into a doorway. Miranda followed him in side. The room was enormous. It was decorated in dark green and silver and looked very much like the dwelling of someone very evil. ‘This is the Slytherin common room. Your new home.’ Draco waved his hand around the room.
‘Home? Home! Aden!’ Miranda shrieked.
‘What? Who’s Aden?’ Draco asked.
‘She’s my sister. She’ll go nuts when she finds out I’m not there!’ Miranda said frantically. ‘Where’s your phone?’
‘What’s a phone? Look, I've already sent a letter to your sister. She knows everything. Don’t worry,’ Draco said calmly.
‘Thank God,’ Miranda muttered and sat down on one of the many black leather couches
‘Crap,’ Draco muttered. Miranda looked up at him.
‘What’s wrong?’
‘I forgot to ask Dumbledore where you’re to sleep. Surely he wouldn’t put you in with the other girls,’ Draco said, looking behind him at a bunch of girls, including Pansy.
‘That creates a problem,’ Miranda said watching the girls look at her and talk and giggle amongst themselves. Draco walked over to the fire and threw some dirt into it.
‘Professor Dumbledore?’ he asked the fire. Dumbledore’s head appeared in the dancing flames. Miranda covered her mouth and squeaked in surprise.
‘Yes, Draco?’ Dumbledore’s head asked inquisitively.
‘Uh, I forgot to ask, where is Miranda to be sleeping?’ Draco asked.
‘I have organised a room for her. It is right at the top if the staircase in between the dormitories,’ Dumbledore’s head replied. ‘I hope Miranda will find it quite sufficient. I've taken the liberty of having some of her things brought in.’
‘Very well, sir,’ Draco nodded.
‘Oh, one more thing, Draco,’ Dumbledore said. ‘When you take Miranda to Diagon Alley make sure she gets some school robes and a uniform. I doubt she enjoys wearing yours.’
‘Certainly, sir,’ Draco nodded again and Dumbledore’s head disappeared.
‘What the hell was that?’ Miranda asked, uncovering her mouth.
‘All the fires in the school are connected to the Floo Network. It means we can travel around the school and talk to others without actually making any effort,’ Draco explained. ‘You can also travel to a different location, outside the school I mean.’
‘Okay. That’s just a little weird,’ Miranda nodded, looking at the fire. ‘Would that have hurt him? I mead, sticking his head in the fire and all?’
‘No. It actually tickles,’ Draco chuckled.
‘Drakie?’ Pansy bounced up next to Draco and put her arms around his neck.
‘What do you want, Pansy?’ Draco asked irritably, prying her away from him.
‘Why are you going to Diagon Alley?’ Pansy asked in a singsong voice.
‘That’s none of your business,’ Draco replied harshly. Pansy pouted.
‘But, Draco, what if I want to come with you?’
‘Well you’re not,’ Draco said.
‘Why not?’ Pansy put he hands on her hips and looked up at him.
‘Because I don’t like you and it’s private,’ Draco said through gritted teeth.
‘What do you mean you don’t like me?’ Pansy frowned apparently trying to look cute, but failing miserably.
‘I mean I don’t like you. I never have. I’m not your boyfriend, get over it,’ Draco replied. ‘C’mon, Miranda, I’ll show you to your room.’ Draco gestured for Miranda to follow him so she stood up and made to walk past Pansy but Pansy grabbed hold of the back of Miranda’s jumper.
‘And I suppose she thinks she’s your girlfriend, does she?’ Pansy said nastily, jerking her head towards Miranda. Pansy was a few inches taller than Miranda and had quite a strong grip, making it hard for Miranda to pull away.
‘Let me go,’ Miranda ordered.
‘No.’ Pansy scoffed. Draco turned back and walked towards Pansy with anger and loathing flashing in his grey-blue eyes.
‘Let her go, Parkinson,’ he demanded.
‘Is she your girlfriend?’ Pansy asked.
‘She’s my cousin,’ Draco lied – albeit, very convincingly. ‘Now – let – her – go.’ Draco took Pansy’s arm in one hand and Miranda’s (or rather his) jumper in the other and jerked them apart roughly.
‘You bruised my arm!’ Pansy shrieked, looking at her pale forearm, now clearly marked with Draco’s fingerprints.
‘Good. You touch her again and I’ll break it,’ Draco threatened. He took Miranda’s hand and led her up the middle staircase of three on the opposite wall.
‘Thank you,’ Miranda said quietly while they made their way up the stairs. ‘I think you really hurt her though.’
‘So what? She just doesn’t get that I can’t stand her. Accusing you of being my girlfriend just pushed me over the edge,’ Draco replied. They came to the last landing of the staircase and found them selves facing a portrait of a Sphinx.
‘Are you the girl that’ll be staying here?’ the Sphinx asked, eyeing Miranda.
‘Yes she is,’ Draco said. The Sphinx turned its blue eyes on him.
‘Let the girl answer for her self. Will you be staying here?’ it asked again, turning back to Miranda.
‘Y-yes. I will,’ Miranda nodded.
‘I am Ehlana. I will guard your sleeping quarters. Please set your password,’ the Sphinx said kindly.
‘Password?’ Miranda repeated.
‘A lot of the rooms in Hogwarts have passwords guarding their entrances,’ Draco explained. ‘If Dumbledore thinks your’s needs a password, I wouldn’t question it.’
‘Oh, okay,’ Miranda thought for a moment of a word she could use. ‘I want my password to be Bump. It’s my cat’s name,’ Miranda decided.
‘And you want this boy to be able to gain entry to your rooms?’ Ehlana nodded at Draco.
‘Yes. You’ll only let someone in who knows the password though, right?’ Miranda asked.
‘Of course, child,’ Ehlana nodded again. ‘If they don’t know the password, they’ll not gain entry.’
‘Thank you,’ Miranda nodded. ‘Do you mind if we go in now?’
‘Password?’ Ehlana asked.
‘Bump,’ Miranda replied. Ehlana’s portrait swung open and Miranda and Draco walked through the doorway behind it. There was a short passageway that was no longer that two metres, which opened up into a large apartment type, circular room. There was a king-size, wrought iron, four-poster bed with dark green, velvet hangings and a bedspread and pillows in the same colour in between two windows. On the opposite side there was an antique-style fireplace filled with dancing orange flames. Sitting in front of the fireplace were two green velvet-covered armchairs on either side of a dark polished oak coffee table. There was a dark oak door to the left of the fireplace with the word “Bath-Chamber” in loopy sliver writing. There were several bookshelves built in around the walls and a big oak desk against the wall. There was also a wardrobe near the bathroom door large enough for Miranda to not only stand in, but lie down in as well. At the foot of the bed, there was a small wicker basket with a purring black and white fur ball – affectionately known as Bump - curled up in side it.
‘This is amazing,’ Miranda said, looking around the room at a loss for words.
‘Dumbledore must think pretty highly of you. You must be the only student at Hogwarts who has her own common room,’ Draco agreed. Bump had woken up when Miranda spoke and was now weaving herself around Draco’s legs, meowing every now and then. Miranda walked over to the bathroom door and pushed it open. It seemed the entire room was made of black and grey marble, except the tap fittings and the showerhead, which were all shiny silver. There was a two-metre long vanity bench with a basin in it on the left with a mirror above it, which went from the wall where the door was to the wall at the end of the bench that hid the shower. Opposite the vanity bench was a silver towel rail with three dark green towels hanging on it. At the end of the towel rail, there was another oak door the loopy sliver writing reading “Lavatory”. The room was brightly lit, though there wasn’t a source for the light anywhere. There wasn’t even a window.
‘This must have cost a fortune,’ Miranda surmised.
‘I doubt it. It’s all conjured by magic,’ Draco told her.
‘Oh,’ Miranda closed the bathroom door behind Draco. ‘Will I be able to do that?’ she asked, looking at the different trinkets sitting on the mantelpiece. All very pretty silver ornaments.
‘Eventually I suppose,’ Draco shrugged, looking along the bookshelves. ‘Wow, most of these books are in the Restricted Section, students aren’t allowed to read them without specific permission,’ he gushed. Miranda went over to the bookshelf he was looking at.
‘I’m not technically a student though, am I?’ Miranda said reasonably.
‘I guess not,’ Draco closed the book he was looking at and put it back in its place. ‘Do you want to go to Diagon Alley now?’ he asked.
‘Sure. Uh, do you mind if I have a shower and change first?’ Miranda asked. ‘So you can have your clothes back I mean?’ Draco shrugged.
‘Don’t worry about my clothes. You can keep ‘em. I've got to many pairs of clothes as it is.’
‘Thanks,’ Miranda smiled. ‘I think I’ll have a shower and change anyway. You can wait here if you want,’ she offered, already beginning to feel at home.
‘Sure. I will. Take your time, we’ve got all day,’ Draco smiled. Miranda smiled back and went to the wardrobe and took out a denim mini-skirt and a white tank-top, then pulled open one of the draws set inside the wardrobe and took some clean underwear and went into the bathroom.

A/N~ Sorry this chapter took so long. I'll put the next one up straight away.